B/R Report: Rex wants to start Tyrod, other coaches split

johnwalter

Except for the fact that Carpenter most likely would have made the FG if it were not for a bad sack that TT took on 3rd down instead of throwing it away, pushing the attempt back significantly.

TT did a nice job moving the ball down the field on that drive, for certain, but it's not like he didn't make some important mistakes, like the above, that potentially cost them points.

No Rubes, you blame it on the narrower goal posts .... DARN YOU NFL OWNERS!!!!!

I'd say more but I am trying not to criticize TT for just the point you made. The sack / lost yards killed that drive.

:devil: Just like the sack / lost yards almost kept EJ from scoring in the 4th QTR drive against Cleveland 0:)

If they want scoring to be up then why the hell did they narrow the posts?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Rubes, you blame it on the narrower goal posts .... DARN YOU NFL OWNERS!!!!!

I'd say more but I am trying not to criticize TT for just the point you made. The sack / lost yards killed that drive.

:devil: Just like the sack / lost yards almost kept EJ from scoring in the 4th QTR drive against Cleveland 0:)

If they want scoring to be up then why the hell did they narrow the posts?

Not trying to promote EJ over TT, but I think EJ took a lot of criticism previously for not knowing what to do with the ball, which resulted in injuries and setbacks. I'm seeing similar behavior from TT. A lot of it can be chalked up to inexperience, but the way TT plays, he'd better learn that quick or he's going to be another casualty.

Not trying to promote EJ over TT, but I think EJ took a lot of criticism previously for not knowing what to do with the ball, which resulted in injuries and setbacks. I'm seeing similar behavior from TT. A lot of it can be chalked up to inexperience, but the way TT plays, he'd better learn that quick or he's going to be another casualty.

agreed. as the saying goes you learn from your mistakes.

or you fail miserably

I made mention of my concerns for scrambling QB's some short time ago and (somewhat expected) it was taken as a knock on TT.

2. You obviously don't know the difference between passer rating and QBR .

Passer Rating is QBR.....and has been for decades.

ESPN's Total QBR(probably trademarked) is what many people are now referring to as simply QBR.

No not really. In 2015, when someone says QBR, any real football fan would interpret that to mean ESPN's QBR, which is on a scale of 0-100- the idea being that a QB with a QBR of 50 is exactly average. Passer rating, or what was once also known as quarterback rating (but never, at least to my knowledge, abbreviated as "QBR"), is your traditional passer rating that has been around since, what? The 70's? And I believe has a perfect score of like 158 or something? Often times on this website people will say a guy had a QBR of 80 and that could mean two totally different things and it's clear that a lot of you do not know the difference. A QBR of 80 could maybe lead the league but a passer rating of 80 is like what EJ Manuel gets. And understand too, that passer ratings are now incredibly inflated vs. 20, even 10 years ago and another thing people do on here, which is really annoying, is compare a QB's passer rating vs. a guy's from 1987 (eg. comparing a guy like Manuel to Bernie Kosar's first couple seasons or something). But I digress.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

No not really. In 2015, when someone says QBR, any football fan would interpret that to mean ESPN's QBR, which is on a scale of 0-100- the idea being that a QB with a QBR of 50 is exactly average. Passer rating, or what was once also known as quarterback rating (but never, at least to my knowledge, abbreviated as "QBR"), is your traditional passer rating that has been around since, what? The 70's? And I believe has a perfect score of like 158 or something? Often times on this website people will say a guy had a QBR of 80 and that could mean two total different things and it's clear that a lot of you do not know the difference. A QBR of 80 could maybe lead the league but a passer rating of 80 is like what EJ Manuel gets. And understand too, that passer ratings are now extremely inflated vs. 20, even 10 years ago and another thing people do on here, which is really annoying, is compare QB's passer rating vs. a guy's from 1987 (eg. comparing a guy like Manuel to Bernie Kosar's first couple seasons or something). But I digress.

I'm a football fan and I interpret that when someone says QBR they mean QuarterBack Rating.....just like the previous bunch of decades. Lets not allow one specific media outlet with an unfathomable new system change how we talk about things. Giving them credit though, they don't call their system QBR....they maintain it as ESPN's Total QBR. Maybe fans should learn to do the same to stop the confusion.

I'm a football fan and I interpret that when someone says QBR they mean QuarterBack Rating.....just like the previous bunch of decades. Lets not allow one specific media outlet with an unfathomable new system change how we talk about things. Giving them credit though, they don't call their system QBR....they maintain it as ESPN's Total QBR. Maybe fans should learn to do the same to stop the confusion.

OK but in fairness, have you ever looked at the back of a football card in the 80's or even on a website prior to ESPN's QBR coming out and seen the column listed as "QBR?" I haven't. It would always say "rating" or "RAT" or you'd see "passer efficiency rating." And plenty of outlets, including the NFL Network, acknowledge QBR. I'm going to maintain that in 2015 when someone says "QBR," they're talking about what you call "ESPN's QBR." If John Clayton was on WGR and alluded to Matt Cassel's QBR, you'd know exactly what he was talking about. Otherwise, he would say "passer rating."

Actually, to put an end to this debate, just google "QBR" right now and tell me what comes up.

Better yet, the fans should learn to disregard anything coming from ESPN.

No not really. In 2015, when someone says QBR, any real football fan would interpret that to mean ESPN's QBR, which is on a scale of 0-100- the idea being that a QB with a QBR of 50 is exactly average. Passer rating, or what was once also known as quarterback rating (but never, at least to my knowledge, abbreviated as "QBR"), is your traditional passer rating that has been around since, what? The 70's? And I believe has a perfect score of like 158 or something? Often times on this website people will say a guy had a QBR of 80 and that could mean two totally different things and it's clear that a lot of you do not know the difference. A QBR of 80 could maybe lead the league but a passer rating of 80 is like what EJ Manuel gets. And understand too, that passer ratings are now incredibly inflated vs. 20, even 10 years ago and another thing people do on here, which is really annoying, is compare a QB's passer rating vs. a guy's from 1987 (eg. comparing a guy like Manuel to Bernie Kosar's first couple seasons or something). But I digress.

This is why ESPN created their "QBR" system. It is supposed to factor in things like when a play was made (ie 4th quarter of a tie game being more important than the 2nd quarter of a 4 score game). They keep trying to pass it of as the best way to compare and contrast QB play. It may very well be or it may be another thing that ESPN is using to promote itself.

Either way, you are right. They are quite different.

Better yet, the fans should learn to disregard anything coming from ESPN.

Yup, ESPN is a joke, WGR is a joke, the Buffalo News sucks, everybody sucks, everybody's a hack. Who do we like, guys? We liked Sal until he was honest about EJ. I can't think of anyone else that anyone likes around here. Me personally, I like everybody on WGR. The only two local sports guys I have an issue with are Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleason.

This is why ESPN created their "QBR" system. It is supposed to factor in things like when a play was made (ie 4th quarter of a tie game being more important than the 2nd quarter of a 4 score game). They keep trying to pass it of as the best way to compare and contrast QB play. It may very well be or it may be another thing that ESPN is using to promote itself.

Either way, you are right. They are quite different.

He knows they're different but he was trying to say that when he sees "QBR" written, he still thinks of what you and I call passer rating. My contention was that I've never even heard of passer rating called QBR. ESPN wouldn't have called it QBR if that's what people already called passer rating.

Yup, ESPN is a joke, WGR is a joke, the Buffalo News sucks, everybody sucks, everybody's a hack. Who do we like, guys? We liked Sal until he was honest about EJ. I can't think of anyone else that anyone likes around here.

It's a mystery to me why a knowledgeable football fan would rely on anything the media excretes--what's wrong with just watching the game with own two eyes and going with that?

IMO, the rising tide of media outlets, pundits, etc. 'interpreting' the game for us poor slubs is nothing more than a backed-up toilet...

It's a mystery to me why a knowledgeable football fan would rely on anything the media excretes--what's wrong with just watching the game with own two eyes and going with that?

IMO, the rising tide of media outlets, pundits, etc. 'interpreting' the game for us poor slubs is nothing more than a backed-up toilet...

Oh I agree that the United States is way over-saturated with all things NFL and has been for a while now. That's why I do not read an article in May ranking the best offensive line coaches and then participate in a discussion on here about how the Bills guy was disrespected and should've been ranked higher.

I'd love to read Metz's take on this recent announcement, sadly, he logged off a little while after it was announced without giving his opinion.

FTR, this doesn't mean EJ will end up starting week 1, it just destroys the "EJ has no chance! You're all stupid for being open to the possibility!" narrative.

Yup, ESPN is a joke, WGR is a joke, the Buffalo News sucks, everybody sucks, everybody's a hack. Who do we like, guys? We liked Sal until he was honest about EJ. I can't think of anyone else that anyone likes around here. Me personally, I like everybody on WGR. The only two local sports guys I have an issue with are Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleason.

He knows they're different but he was trying to say that when he sees "QBR" written, he still thinks of what you and I call passer rating. My contention was that I've never even heard of passer rating called QBR. ESPN wouldn't have called it QBR if that's what people already called passer rating.

ESPN call it "Total QBR". http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

They would have simply called it "QBR" if there was no preceding standard for that term.

You asked me to google it. This is the first thing to come up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Quarterback_Rating

Wiki also states that passer rating is: "also known as quarterback rating, QB rating". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

There are also websites like this: http://www.footballguys.com/qbrating.htm

I admit this is not a big issue, but it is a bugbear of mine. For many years the only football information I(and my friends) could get was from magazines(mainly ProFootballWeekly). We didn't invent QBR as the standard term used. It was in fact the standard term used. When I was first posting here there was no confusion on the issue. Everybody understood exactly what QBR means. It has only been since ESPN's Total QBR has taken root that confusion has started....and other media outlets have changed their terminologies to avoid the confusion.

I have always used the term QBR to mean QuarterBack Rating(or Passer Rating). I will not change simply because one media outlet decides to invent something new....particularly since they do not provide the mathematical formula for it.