B/R Report: Rex wants to start Tyrod, other coaches split

johnwalter

EJ is the only QB to play through adversity or less than ideal conditions. It's embarrassing to hear some of the excuses or rationale that gets tossed around for this kid. Before it was all Marrone's fault. Now that Marrone is gone it's something else. Just like every week EJ becomes more and more of a project. Before training camp it was the same "he was always supposed to sit for a year or 2 to develop". Now people are talking about him needing more time to sit and learn. This kid is going to sit his entire rookie contract and people are going to pretend like it was part of the plan. He did not live up to the hype and people keep making more and more excuses trying to hold onto whatever little hope is left that he will turn into a good QB. He's just not good enough and this is the 2nd coaching staff that's coming to the same conclusion.

I can tell you haven't been listening to what the Bills' Head Coach has had to say about EJ.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ is the only QB to play through adversity or less than ideal conditions. It's embarrassing to hear some of the excuses or rationale that gets tossed around for this kid. Before it was all Marrone's fault. Now that Marrone is gone it's something else. Just like every week EJ becomes more and more of a project. Before training camp it was the same "he was always supposed to sit for a year or 2 to develop". Now people are talking about him needing more time to sit and learn. This kid is going to sit his entire rookie contract and people are going to pretend like it was part of the plan. He did not live up to the hype and people keep making more and more excuses trying to hold onto whatever little hope is left that he will turn into a good QB. He's just not good enough and this is the 2nd coaching staff that's coming to the same conclusion.

Excuses? Sorry, that was last year's attack for the haters. EJ has been playing very well under Roman's system. I think you guys are the ones searching for excuses to still hate on him.

I dont think it's cut and dried as you paint it> But really there is nothing to be gained by the circular dialogue any longer. Either he will prove himself to this coaching staff, or he won't.

I also dont think its a big deal by now. Bills have 3 options . Lets hope they succeed! May the best man win

No I didn't, but then I frankly don't care if they threw for four TDs in one quarter. Performing under no pressure in the NFL vs under pressure is a gigantic difference. All those guys are established backup QBs who know their place and who had no chance of being cut.

Like I said, if you don't realize this difference then we have nothing to talk about.

Are we talking defensive pressure or stage pressure?

Haven't you spent hours and hours saying there is no chance EJ is cut? Now the story changes?

It's funny because Rex explicitly said that they're not making any decision public until the start of the season. It's laughable that you think this bleacher reporter is leaking the inside scoop the very next day.

Rex did however say they will probably know... BUT wont let the public know until the last minute. Its plausible. This guy has an inside snitch.... but really. He did n give away anything. Just cause rex wants it doesnt mean its gonna come to fruition. What if he gives the call to Roman. Or Lee. We KNOW who rex wants. This was a big to do about nothing

I can tell you haven't been listening to what the Bills' Head Coach has had to say about EJ.

I've been listening. I've also been watching as well. Let's see where EJ's reps come in the 3rd preseason game.

Excuses? Sorry, that was last year's attack for the haters. EJ has been playing very well under Roman's system. I think you guys are the ones searching for excuses to still hate on him.

Yeah he's had solid showings in the pre-season so far. Point being that it's year 3 and the bar is still being set so incredibly low. It should have been expected that EJ win this competition. If he had as much talent and potential as people claim then he should have easily ran away with this thing and it wouldn't be a debate as to who the starter next week was going to be. The fact he wasn't even a favorite to win the job over a couple of backups speaks volumes. I expected much more. The training wheels are off now and it's time to produce and right now, it doesn't seem likely that he'll be starting this year. That's not me hating on him. That's just the reality of the situation.

Rex did however say they will probably know... BUT wont let the public know until the last minute. Its plausible. This guy has an inside snitch.... but really. He did n give away anything. Just cause rex wants it doesnt mean its gonna come to fruition. What if he gives the call to Roman. Or Lee. We KNOW who rex wants. This was a big to do about nothing

in flux, changing , fluid

open minded and flexible thinking

: )

I've been listening. I've also been watching as well. Let's see where EJ's reps come in the 3rd preseason game.

Yeah he's had solid showings in the pre-season so far. Point being that it's year 3 and the bar is still being set so incredibly low. It should have been expected that EJ win this competition. If he had as much talent and potential as people claim then he should have easily ran away with this thing and it wouldn't be a debate as to who the starter next week was going to be. The fact he wasn't even a favorite to win the job over a couple of backups speaks volumes. I expected much more. The training wheels are off now and it's time to produce and right now, it doesn't seem likely that he'll be starting this year. That's not me hating on him. That's just the reality of the situation.

agreed i dont see EJ starting either.

edit not the Colts game anyways :flirt:

Edited by 3rdand12

Please stop with the "haters" accusations. Everyone is acknowledging that he is improved over last preseason. Can you acknowledge that he is still running third in this competition? I don't think anyone is hating. I pretty much laid out where he stands for you: better than last year, still not as good as Matt Cassel.

Not really. Rex brought in his guy (TT) and Roman brought in his (Cassel). IMO, I think that EJ would have had to seriously outperform the other two to get the starting nod because he was #3 going into OTA's. EJ hasn't outperformed them. TT has shown the best, and by most reports, EJ and Cassel have been about equal which means that EJ is still behind both.

It is a little odd that EJ worked back in with the 1's yesterday after being exclusively 2's and 3's last week. Hopefully they all keep showing well though.

Go Bills!

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Please stop with the "haters" accusations. Everyone is acknowledging that he is improved over last preseason. Can you acknowledge that he is still running third in this competition? I don't think anyone is hating. I pretty much laid out where he stands for you: better than last year, still not as good as Matt Cassel.

I haven't heard any of the coaches say Cassel has outperformed EJ, I haven't seen Squat from Cassel this season, I have seen EJ and he looks good. You saying EJ dosent look as good as Cassel seems fabricated. Also, EJ only has 2 years in the league, he is begining his thrid year, so when people say he's a third year player, that seems inaccurate, also seems like wording to propel your beliefs that EJ is just not good. Nitpicky, I know, but this is a nitpicky debate.

Look, I love the debate, I really do love the argument and back and forth between the detractors and supporters. It's fun, and discussing differing opinions is healthy and interesting to me. But you hillbillies trying to say he won't be in the league in 10 years, and he only looks good against grocery baggers, just, you need something better. Cassel looks no better than EJ, and if you were sitting down, having a few beers with Rex and Roman, I bet they tell you that exact thing.

They may just trust giving the keys to the car to an 11 year player over a second year player. Put it this way, would you sooner let your 16 year old son drive your brand new 2016 Corvette Stingray around the block or would you trust it more in the hands of your 28 year old friend.

As a note, I'm not just directing my comments to the poster I quoted, I'm directing them to the numerous detractors posting in this thread.

Edited by mastershake

I haven't heard any of the coaches say Cassel has outperformed EJ, I haven't seen Squat from Cassel this season, I have seen EJ and he looks good. You saying EJ dosent look as good as Cassel seems fabricated. Also, EJ only has 2 years in the league, he is begining his thrid year, so when people say he's a third year player, that seems inaccurate, also seems like wording to propel your beliefs that EJ is just not good. Nitpicky, I know, but this is a nitpicky debate.

Look, I love the debate, I really do love the argument and back and forth between the detractors and supporters. It's fun, and discussing differing opinions is healthy and interesting to me. But you hillbillies trying to say he won't be in the league in 10 years, and he only looks good against grocery baggers, just, you need something better. Cassel looks no better than EJ, and if you were sitting down, having a few beers with Rex and Roman, I bet they tell you that exact thing.

They may just trust giving the keys to the car to an 11 year player over a second year player. Put it this way, would you sooner let your 16 year old son drive your brand new 2016 Corvette Stingray around the block or would you trust it more in the hands of your 28 year old friend.

As a note, I'm not just directing my comments to the poster I quoted, I'm directing them to the numerous detractors posting in this thread.

Look, every beat reporter who has attended camp would tell you EJ is third. John Murphy would tell you EJ is third. Sal C currently has it at 45/45/10. That is being generous. I can tell you with the utmost certainty that EJ is not part of the equation to start opening day. This is not detracting. This is being a realist. You are doing whatever the opposite of detracting is. Edited by metzelaars_lives

I talked to some good sources that said Tyrod is penciled in at this point but that could change if some drastic mistakes are shown on the field these last couple weeks. As long as he keeps playing as he did this week Tyrod Taylor will be the starting QB for the Buffalo Bills.

I talked to some good sources that said Tyrod is penciled in at this point but that could change if some drastic mistakes are shown on the field these last couple weeks. As long as he keeps playing as he did this week Tyrod Taylor will be the starting QB for the Buffalo Bills.

If true, that's fine with me. Anybody but Cassel.

Technically, players accrue seasons at the start of the league year. He is a 3rd year player. This type of babying is why people get frustrated with the bleeding heart EJ supporters. He has improved for sure but do we need to pretend that he is less experienced to justify his place in the QB battle? By pretending that he is in year "2 and a half" does that help his case? He is in his 3rd year and in a 3 way battle for the QB position which he is currently 3rd in. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Not really. Rex brought in his guy (TT) and Roman brought in his (Cassel). IMO, I think that EJ would have had to seriously outperform the other two to get the starting nod because he was #3 going into OTA's. EJ hasn't outperformed them. TT has shown the best, and by most reports, EJ and Cassel have been about equal which means that EJ is still behind both.

It is a little odd that EJ worked back in with the 1's yesterday after being exclusively 2's and 3's last week. Hopefully they all keep showing well though.

Go Bills!

That's the point. People questioned whether EJ could even win the competition. It had nothing to do with Rex or Roman bringing in their guys. It all comes down to talent and people weren't confident EJ had enough of it to beat Cassel and Taylor out. The fact that he couldn't really separate himself from 2 backups in his 3rd year is what makes it hard for me to believe he will ever improve enough to be a decent starter in this league.

I think Whaley and company took a chance on a guy they hoped could be coached up but ultimately he had too many critical flaws and it hasn't worked out the way we had all hoped. It happens every year.

Could you elaborate on these sources? Obviously I don't expect names but could you say what makes them good sources? What do they do that would allow them to have this information?