B/R Report: Rex wants to start Tyrod, other coaches split

johnwalter

Again, the misplaced anger of an EJ supporter.

We aren't the ones who make the call. EJ will be ranked on the depth chart by the coaches, not people on a message board who just can't give him credit for all his amazing accomplishments.

IF it's so obvious that he is the best, why is he seemingly not in the mix to be the starter?

That's it! That's all that needs to be said. But here we'll be five pages from now still arguing...

"Suspect PI call"? Talk about "spinning to fit an agenda."

Was it not? I still haven't watched the game, I've only seen the highlights. I have heard that from several people though. If that is not the case, I apologize.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's it! That's all that needs to be said. But here we'll be five pages from now still arguing...

Was it not? I still haven't watched the game, I've only seen the highlights. I have heard that from several people though. If that is not the case, I apologize.

If there was a suspect PI call it was the no call when the DB didn't turn his head around while defending Thompson in the end zone

Gruden said it was suspect. He had no idea what he was talking about. The throw was perfect, Davis had his guy beat, the CB grabbed Davis right on the collar and yanked him back before the ball got there. Nothing suspect about it. Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Gruden said it was suspect. He had no idea what he was talking about. The throw was perfect, Davis had his guy beat, the CB grabbed Davis right on the collar and yanked him back before the ball got there. Nothing suspect about it.

I thought the off-setting call against the Bills was suspect.

If there was a suspect PI call it was the no call when the DB didn't turn his head around while defending Thompson in the end zone

Oh OK. So again, haven't seen the game but didn't they have it 4th down and EJ threw an incomplete pass in the end zone but they called it a PI to give them a new set of downs? Again, this makes zero difference to me in my evaluation of EJ Manuel. My understanding is that he played OK regardless.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything? As of today, the signs are pointing to Cassel starting. I don't know who is clamoring for that? I try to view it as objectively (and level-headed) as possible. He is receiving the most 1st team reps, the whole 2 minute drill and apparently Roman favors him. That isn't what I want. I try to post my observations and interpretation of the situation. It is much more effective than blindly pushing through an agenda without support.

Stay in your lane!!

Metz invoked your name so you were cc'd.

Cassel had 1 playoff season in KC surrounded by a load of bad seasons. Ergo pointing out a one and done season is nice, the overall picture is GLOOMY.

Kansas City is in the AFC West though, so I don't really know how they won the NFC West that one year :lol:

TYPO

Gruden said it was suspect. He had no idea what he was talking about. The throw was perfect, Davis had his guy beat, the CB grabbed Davis right on the collar and yanked him back before the ball got there. Nothing suspect about it.

I take it back then. How did you think EJ's overall performance was in the game? How about Tyrod?

He's being mean? As if Cassel threw a TD after being strip sacked and benefiting from a suspect PI call that the EJ guys wouldn't be using that as an excuse: "well OK, he threw a TD but..." I haven't heard anyone say that about EJ- I certainly haven't. Most people on here are just spinning everything to fit their own agenda. The fact of the matter is that the Bills- barring any more of these stupid ACL's that keep popping up everywhere- are going to be really good this year. All three QB's have looked better than I thought they would. Certainly better than the Manuel/Lewis/Tuel dumpster fire from the last two preseasons. We should all be happy knowing that it looks like the Bills just might receive competent QB play this year. All three guys have looked adequate. That's a good thing guys. But every single person with knowledge of the situation and every single person who has attended camp has EJ third. That's the reality. Sorry if that comes off as "mean."

He wasn't being mean, but if you read what he posted his last sentence was" I'm not trying to be mean or anything" something like that, I was just mostly kidding about that part. And hey, someone's gotta defend EJ! His O-line sure hasn't!

OK, Cassel looked average at best in his two drives where every pass was right on the money (though many short), he looked poised in the pocket, got a bunch of first downs and moved the ball. Agreed. Let me ask you two questions:

1. No explanations, just give me one adjective right now to describe EJ's play in his nine possessions so far.

2. Do you mean to tell me that if those were EJ's only two possessions and he was 7-8 with a drop and a big gainer to Watkins that got called back and the backup kicker shanked a chip shot, that you would be telling everyone, "ehh I don't know guys, EJ looked average at best?"

I wish you could understand that you are coming off as way more anti-Tyrod/Cassel than anyone has ever come off as anti-EJ.

9 POSSESSIONS AND 18 POINTS oops Caps Lock.

Yes if EJ had only two possessions and he was 7-8 with a drop and a big gainer to Watkins that got called back and the backup kicker shanked a chip shot, that you would be telling everyone, "ehh I don't know guys, EJ looked average at best.

Why is it you think I'd say otherwise? And please Do not assume I am a Super Fan.

You "could" assume that I am Anti Cassel because he isn't that exciting of a prospect. Again Where have I put TT down to any great extent?

I have been saying my preference is TT or EJ.

If BF4E had even a shred of credibility on here (which he doesn't) it would officially be gone.

Think what you want. There are people who are like minded who migh disagree with your opinion. You see Kirby, its the people like you that love to insult others and when then disagree with you they have no shred of credibility.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I take it back then. How did you think EJ's overall performance was in the game? How about Tyrod?

TT looked good. His first drive took around 9-10 minutes off the clock and should have resulted in points. He made some throws from the pocket that I was hoping to see. Had good pocket presence and was decisive. I'd like to see him let plays develop a little longer, but I'll credit him for going all in with the decision he makes.

EJ looked good as well. A couple bad throws (overthrow & underthrow) early while on the move. He moved around the pocket and kept his eyes downfield better than he has in the past. Went through his progressions pretty well and overcame his awful OL to win the game. Beautiful throws on the final drive.

Oh OK. So again, haven't seen the game but didn't they have it 4th down and EJ threw an incomplete pass in the end zone but they called it a PI to give them a new set of downs? Again, this makes zero difference to me in my evaluation of EJ Manuel. My understanding is that he played OK regardless.

Watch the game and get back to us. but first ask this ...... Could it be the incomplete pass was due to the PI?

I wouldn't take it personally. It's odd that people chase away people with inside info by trying to discredit them. All that happens is people stop sharing it. We should appreciate it and people will establish credibility when what they share comes to fruition. There are about a dozen or so people here that have been proven credible. Some people just can't wrap their head around how that information gets shared. It's really not that complicated; they aren't nuclear codes that are protecting.

its also tough that we do see a lot of people over sell or flat fabricate things - and if you are only a once in a blue moon sharer it gets murky trying to remember who has that cred.

Metz invoked your name so you were cc'd.

Cassel had 1 playoff season in KC surrounded by a load of bad seasons. Ergo pointing out a one and done season is nice, the overall picture is GLOOMY.

TYPO

He pointed out my name because yesterday someone said "technically EJ isn't really in his 3rd season" and I took issue with that. I don't really care who wins the QB battle as long as it is the right guy. I have backed Tyrod so far but could care less who wins it. The coaches have seen way more than me. I do however get annoyed by people making excuses. Let's just call things as they are. EJ is a 3rd year player that has improved this offseason. He isn't some weird "in between years" guy. It is unnecessary to make things up to prove your point. Let the merit of your argument stand on its own. He is currently 3rd in the battle to start by every account that I have seen.

If you want to call me out by name in a post at least know what division the guy played in. Don't bring a butterknife to a gunfight. I enjoy the debates on this board that are well thought out and supported. I am not sure how I am supposed to respond to Matt Cassel's record in the NFC West? I know what Cassel has done in his career (you can google that stuff). It also appears and rumors have him as the favorite. What we don't know is the gap between the 3 QBs. That will dictate whether or not the situation can change.

If you want to debate the QB battle don't make stuff up (like Cassel didn't look good in the preseason game). He had a blatant drop and completed every other pass. He had a big play called back because of Matthew Mulligan (I think). It's okay to say "he looked good but I'm concerned that he throws underneath too much." Saying that he didn't look good damages your credibility and furthers the perception that you only care about your agenda.

I purposely omit who they played with and against because it is relatively moot. If you're playing with 3rd stringers against 3rd stringers, or 2nd stringers against 2nd stringers it's a wash in my eyes. But please, try to dispute how many possessions each has had this pre-season, and how many points were scored on those possessions. I'd love to see it.

Ej scored points with his arm, through the air with lesser quality players and under adversity. Tyrod on the ground, with his legs with a lot of help from his supporting cast.. I'm not a stat guy so I can't throw numbers out at you. I'm more of a "I'll defend my guy to the end" kinda person. I'm also not gonna shed a tear or be embarrassed if I'm wrong. I stand by what I believe. As far as all these players, some I like some I don't, just like you, just like all of us. I don't care for Tyrod as our starting QB at this point.

EJ Manuel is my best hope for sustained success for the Bills, right now, with who we have on our roster. I felt this way last year, and I feel that way this year. Whether that pans out or not I do not know. But I wanted to see more last year, and I want to see more this year. Until he's cut, or takes us through a season where its indisputable that he's bad or good or great or mediocre.

9 POSSESSIONS AND 18 POINTS oops Caps Lock.

Yes if EJ had only two possessions and he was 7-8 with a drop and a big gainer to Watkins that got called back and the backup kicker shanked a chip shot, that you would be telling everyone, "ehh I don't know guys, EJ looked average at best.

Why is it you think I'd say otherwise? And please Do not assume I am a Super Fan.

You "could" assume that I am Anti Cassel because he isn't that exciting of a prospect. Again Where have I put TT down to any great extent?

I have been saying my preference is TT or EJ.

Think what you want. There are people who are like minded who migh disagree with your opinion. You see Kirby, its the people like you that love to insult others and when then disagree with you they have no shred of credibility.

You have no credibility because your contributions are pointless. You rarely say "here's what I think and here are the reasons why." You post things like Cassel's record in the NFC West. Is that supposed create an intelligent conversation? Besides for the fact that he didn't play in the NFC West what were you hoping to achieve with that? It was pointless.

its also tough that we do see a lot of people over sell or flat fabricate things - and if you are only a once in a blue moon sharer it gets murky trying to remember who has that cred.

I don't disagree but if it seems totally plausible we should probably give the benefit of the doubt. If they come here saying, "the Bills are trading for Brees" we should pause and check the posters history.

Hey, I'm gonna have to back off the EJ thing because he's probably, truly our 3rd string QB. As a matter of fact, I'd put money on it. I think it's probably just a group of grumpy old guys with too much time on their hands argueing this at this point (points to myself).

I'm not sure our QB situation is as good as we'd like to think it is right now, with the guys on the roster and the beginning of our schedule, may get ugly if we lose a couple games, hell, Indy might be the favorite for the SB this year.

This really is the best time of year to be abills fan, from the draft to the beginning of the season,then the bullets fly, and you all know the rest. Right now, I, we, still have hope so Go Bills.

You have no credibility because your contributions are pointless. You rarely say "here's what I think and here are the reasons why." You post things like Cassel's record in the NFC West. Is that supposed create an intelligent conversation? Besides for the fact that he didn't play in the NFC West what were you hoping to achieve with that? It was pointless.

I don't disagree but if it seems totally plausible we should probably give the benefit of the doubt. If they come here saying, "the Bills are trading for Brees" we should pause and check the posters history.

I'm willing to give him a pass on the NFC West thing as I truly believe he knows what division the Chiefs are in and it was a genuine typo. I take more issue with him BWAHAHAHAHAHA'ing me last year when I said the Bills had an elite defense and then telling me their defense wasn't really that good after several teams had their byes and the Bills hadn't so the Bills had given up more total yards than those teams and after several ill-fated attempts by me to explain it to him, he could not understand that you have to switch it to yards allowed per game to get the defensive rankings. Also that he said the Bills would have finished 12-4 last year had they stuck with EJ and let him play all season and then refused to respond to me when I politely asked him how far they would have gone in the playoffs because they would have had homefield in that case. And perhaps most egregiously, him not placing Andrew Luck in his top five young QB's to build a franchise around. But yeah, I give him a pass on the NFC West thing.

Hey, I'm gonna have to back off the EJ thing because he's probably, truly our 3rd string QB. As a matter of fact, I'd put money on it. I think it's probably just a group of grumpy old guys with too much time on their hands argueing this at this point (points to myself).

I'm not sure our QB situation is as good as we'd like to think it is right now, with the guys on the roster and the beginning of our schedule, may get ugly if we lose a couple games, hell, Indy might be the favorite for the SB this year.

This really is the best time of year to be abills fan, from the draft to the beginning of the season,then the bullets fly, and you all know the rest. Right now, I, we, still have hope so Go Bills.

Great olive branch post. I accept. And I agree with everything you wrote. All I want is to stop arguing but I cannot help myself when I see stuff written by people that needs to be called out. I am more optimistic about the QB situation than you are though. If the Bills can somehow escape the first three games 2-1, they are going to be in great shape.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Tell ya what. Although, again, I was the one who broke Mario Williams and have/had plenty of info on Doug Marrone leaving and have never led anyone astray on anything, I will tell everyone exactly where I got the Roman/Cassel scoop if it somehow comes out that that is not the case. I can also tell you that EJ Manuel is not part of the equation as far as who is starting opening day but you would think that would be fairly easy to ascertain at this point.

Edited by metzelaars_lives