Danny Shelton vs. Eric Wood

NishP

I'd like to see more reps between the two....Wood blindsided Clay Matthews on a "de-cleater" last year and everyone was praising him.

Does Wood lack lower body strength -- yes -- probably from numerous knee injuries and the leg break.

Is he a reliable center, who makes clean snaps -- yep, very.

Will he have to go truly one on one in Roman's scheme a lot -- probably not.

Is he a marginal starter and are we overpaying him--probably.

His cap hit next year (2016) is $6 million and his dead cap is $3.4 million...he is one to watch this offseason...Bills will be more aggressive in cap management than ever before. Don't get too attached to any player who is not in the core 10-12...and Wood is not one of these,

because these are the players that are asked to renegotiate their contracts to lessen their cap hit.

Gotta love preseason.

Anyone who has played on o or d line knows this drill. You also know you win some and you lose some.

As for Wood, he like most of the line didn't look great last year. Let's see how the unit looks after this season. If Wood is still not who we thought he was, then Whaley and the coaches and address it.

Wood had a rough season in 2014. This is just one play (not to mention that Danny Shelton is a great player) but if Wood struggles this season, the Bills need to consider drafting a center in 2016.

Wood got blown up, that kid is a little wrecking ball. Considering Wood is giving up 29lbs, he at least held the kid up enough for the play to get off.

Edited by DirtDart

Shelton was a beast during Monday morning's practice. Constantly in backfield shaking off single and double teams. Yelling and talking tons of smack the whole time too. Wood and Incognito couldn't handle him the majority of the time. He's going to be a special player.

I realize plenty here are using this to draw conclusions about our OL, which is certainly fair to do, but I'd say the real takeaway is simply that Shelton was outstanding. I was really impressed.

I hate to be the voice of sanity here

They are doing a one on one drill.....in which Wood is matched against a player about what....40 pounds heavier then him?

There was no QB.....so Shelton just drove Wood straight back.....who while he lost leverage did not lose his feet....

Wood lost the physical battle.....he also never became disengaged with Shelton the entire time

And he didnt fall down.....

Not to mention that the running back ran right past him with the ball in his hands. Shelton may be a beast but he did not make the play.

Eric Wood is this year's whipping boy. There's a contingent pointing to his play the last two seasons and proclaiming him done. Now we get a single video clip of a great DT bull rushing him back in practice and that is supposedly proof of his rapid decline.

This story plays out every year for some player. I think it speaks volumes that the Bills did not go out and try to bring in any young or old C to compete with Wood. I don't believe it's irrelevant that the guys he had playing beside him -- particularly last season -- should be driving 18-wheelers for a profession, not playing offensive line. Wood himself said there were "too many cooks in the kitchen" when it came to OL coaching.

I'll reserve judgment until the regular season arrives.

I honestly dont think its gonna be noticable......now that the OG play around Woods has improved this is gonna help him out a bit.

I actually like him as a player......its not my money

I have seen enough of Wood pushed back to the QB. He is not the player he was. Someone explain to me how better players beside him are going to make him stronger. Is it osmosis or something?

Edited by bmur66

I have seen enough of Wood pushed back to the QB. He is not the player he was. Someone explain to me how better players beside him are going to make him stronger. Is it osmosis or something?

OC's are not usually left on an island in pass protection or run blocking. Better OG's=better help for Wood which would appear (in theory) to make him better. Pears, Urbik, Williams, and Richardson weren't doing Wood any favors last season.

Wood had a rough season in 2014. This is just one play (not to mention that Danny Shelton is a great player) but if Wood struggles this season, the Bills need to consider drafting a center in 2016.

If you watch the all-22 from last season, EVERYONE had a rough season, because the blocking schemes were dog ****.

Players next to him that can do their job lets him focus on doing his job. So he can be less hesitant and more decisive at the point of attack, since he's not holding back waiting to see where pressure's coming from or if he has to support one of the guards.

Like how Cordy Glenn suddenly got much better when Colin Brown was released.

That's not a tackling drill, is it?

Very good question. I didn't watch the footage but did Shelton use any moves? Did he look like be couldn't get off his block?

Aww man please don't wake those beasts again. I still don't get the logic but i don't want this post to turn into how bad Legurski was or pears our whoever else played guard last year were

If you're talking about the preseason game, that was Kupper.

Want it Urbik who bailed Levitre out in the game where we couldn't get one shotgun snap on target? Or was he not on the team yet.

Very good question. I didn't watch the footage but did Shelton use any moves? Did he look like be couldn't get off his block?

Aww man please don't wake those beasts again. I still don't get the logic but i don't want this post to turn into how bad Legurski was or pears our whoever else played guard last year were

Want it Urbik who bailed Levitre out in the game where we couldn't get one shotgun snap on target? Or was he not on the team yet.

Maybe. I don't remember. Urbik's been on the roster since 2011?

OK. Wood was good. Shelton is a monster.

Kudos for coming back to the thread and giving Wood credit.

I was reading a Browns message board today, and one of the local Cleveland journalists was writing about how Shelton "completely dominated" Richie Incognito :oops:

This is accurate. I hit rewind on every O-play in the 1st Half. Incognito was incognito against Shelton -not Woods (whom I wish we'd get serious about finding a replacement for)

Sure Wood is on the downside, but it's not a rapid decline and he certainly looked fine last night and looks fine generally now with MUCH superior guard play on either side of him. The Bills will need a replacement in the works but not immediate.