Danny Shelton vs. Eric Wood

NishP

I re-watched the Bills/Panthers game last night, and I'm starting to lean towards an opinion that will probably not be very popular. I think that Urbik is a better center than he is a guard. And, I think that Urbik may be a better center than Wood.

Am I crazy?

Edit: I may come back after Thursday and just completely rescind this post.

Edited by Rocky Landing

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I re-watched the Bills/Panthers game last night, and I'm starting to lean towards an opinion that will probably not be very popular. I think that Urbik is a better center than he is a guard. And, I think that Urbik may be a better center than Wood.

Am I crazy?

Urbik has always been a better centre than guard. Whether he is better than Wood I am still to be convinced but Wood has been bad two years running. It is leverage in the run game that really worries me. In pass protection I think he is generally ok except for when he gets double teamed due to useless guards losing their guys. Edited by GunnerBill

In that video is an example of why Wood has been being beat the last few years. He lacks lower body power. He is a finesse blocker. He isn't strong enough to keep his balance while fighting off his legs. Once he is stood up he is done, which is why he is just awful in pass blocking. In drive blocking and run blocking he can succeed because he gets low enough and is good enough with his hands, but Wood is just not strong enough to play as powerful as needed.

This is why i have been saying we needed to draft a big OC to play the middle and consider moving him to OG. If he isn't good enough to play RG why should be good enough to play OC, a much harder position?

Yes, I really do have a problem with Eric Wood.

Am I crazy?

If our line is better with Urbik playing OC and Wood playing OG then we must do this. If Urbik is better at OC and Wood is not good enough to start elsewhere on the line he does not deserve to be a starter.

Flat out, plain and simple. Wood has been a weak link on the line for a while; something happened a few years ago, something happened and he's been weak and pushed around.

Unless you figure in the crap center's we had prior to Wood. He looks like a hall of famer compared to that group.

When he is not even the clear cut best at his position on a weak unit there is reason to be concerned.

Great he overpowered wood... but guess what... he didnt make the play wood did his job of keeping him from making a tackle

It was a young Turk's mistake. Shelton is new to the league and invested mentally in taking coup wherever he can. He's making and banking his mark/reputation which he will cash in on later. Wood schooled DonkeyKong Suh in their first meeting. Got him to commit a PF because Suh was so frustrated at Wood's technique.

Technique goes only so far.

In that video is an example of why Wood has been being beat the last few years. He lacks lower body power. He is a finesse blocker. He isn't strong enough to keep his balance while fighting off his legs. Once he is stood up he is done, which is why he is just awful in pass blocking. In drive blocking and run blocking he can succeed because he gets low enough and is good enough with his hands, but Wood is just not strong enough to play as powerful as needed.

This is why i have been saying we needed to draft a big OC to play the middle and consider moving him to OG. If he isn't good enough to play RG why should be good enough to play OC, a much harder position?

Yes, I really do have a problem with Eric Wood.

If our line is better with Urbik playing OC and Wood playing OG then we must do this. If Urbik is better at OC and Wood is not good enough to start elsewhere on the line he does not deserve to be a starter.

Flat out, plain and simple. Wood has been a weak link on the line for a while; something happened a few two years ago, something happened injuries and pizz-poor coaching and he's been weak and pushed around.

When he is not even the clear cut best at his position on a weak unit there is reason to be concerned.

indeed.

I'm starting to form the opinion that Urbik should start at center, and Miller, and Incognito at OG. Put Wood at backup center.

Woods is clearly better than Urbik, IMO.

For as bad a pass blocker as you think Woods is, Urbik is even worse at center.

That would be the conventional wisdom. But, it's hard to deny Wood's decline over the past couple of seasons. I remember him literally flinching across from Suh last season. I don't think Urbik has played center since 2011. If he is better suited at center, is it outside the realm of possibility that he has improved (while Wood declined) since 2011?

I re-watched the Bills/Panthers game last night, and watched Urbik specifically on rewind. He was in at center for Taylor. I thought he looked pretty good. He doesn't have the quick, lateral moves required for a guard, but at center, he got up real quick after the snap, and held his ground really well, and balanced his protection between the two guards. I know there's a lot more to the position that you can't even see-- communication, etc, but he looks the part, and has the size.

I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I'd like to see more reps between the two....Wood blindsided Clay Matthews on a "de-cleater" last year and everyone was praising him.

Does Wood lack lower body strength -- yes -- probably from numerous knee injuries and the leg break.

Is he a reliable center, who makes clean snaps -- yep, very.

Will he have to go truly one on one in Roman's scheme a lot -- probably not.

Is he a marginal starter and are we overpaying him--probably.

His cap hit next year (2016) is $6 million and his dead cap is $3.4 million...he is one to watch this offseason...Bills will be more aggressive in cap management than ever before. Don't get too attached to any player who is not in the core 10-12...and Wood is not one of these.

Edited by JoeF

I was one of the first to say he was overrated by bills fans but some of you make it out like he's not good at all. Which is not fair. He's still a good player but didn't have much help the last couple of seasons.

Remember Fred's run against Chicago last year where he stiff-armed that jobber in ot? Watch what Wood did to Briggs on that play. It was a thing of beauty. A forearm that knocked the guy right on his ass while he was engaged with another rusher.

Don't create a problem where there isn't one. Wood will be fine.

Edited by QB Bills

Eric Wood is this year's whipping boy. There's a contingent pointing to his play the last two seasons and proclaiming him done. Now we get a single video clip of a great DT bull rushing him back in practice and that is supposedly proof of his rapid decline.

This story plays out every year for some player. I think it speaks volumes that the Bills did not go out and try to bring in any young or old C to compete with Wood. I don't believe it's irrelevant that the guys he had playing beside him -- particularly last season -- should be driving 18-wheelers for a profession, not playing offensive line. Wood himself said there were "too many cooks in the kitchen" when it came to OL coaching.

I'll reserve judgment until the regular season arrives.

Eric Wood is this year's whipping boy. There's a contingent pointing to his play the last two seasons and proclaiming him done. Now we get a single video clip of a great DT bull rushing him back in practice and that is supposedly proof of his rapid decline.

This story plays out every year for some player. I think it speaks volumes that the Bills did not go out and try to bring in any young or old C to compete with Wood. I don't believe it's irrelevant that the guys he had playing beside him -- particularly last season -- should be driving 18-wheelers for a profession, not playing offensive line. Wood himself said there were "too many cooks in the kitchen" when it came to OL coaching.

I'll reserve judgment until the regular season arrives.

I am not declaring him "done" yet, but his play has not been good and I think we are paying him a lot for that average level of play. I believe him capable of better and I hope that he shows that this year.