Ronald Darby - how will he do?

Rex hung him out to dry though. I think he, Thurman and Henderson are just trying to get him ready and will have safety help when it counts.

Possibly but I think you are oversimplifying the solution. Safety help is part of every defense but a Rex Ryan defense is man-to-man on the outside. Clearly they have to do some game planning because Darby is not ready to hold up one-on-one yet.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/08/30/rex-i-challenged-our-defense-on-purpose/

"Bills head coach Rex Ryan wasn’t overly concerned about his team’s pass defense against Pittsburgh Saturday. While he wasn’t thrilled that they gave up big plays he said going into the game he purposely challenged them on the back end with play calls and a lack of blitzing.

Ryan said the plan was to force his secondary to communicate more to prepare them for stressful times in the regular season.

“I put us in a lot of situations again challenging us,” said Ryan. “I was going to challenge us with different coverages and make them communicate and quite honestly we weren’t as sharp as we needed to be. We’ll learn a lot off of tape, but you can’t just go out there and say, ‘I’m a great player.’ And not communicate. I think it was a great thing for us. Now we challenged our guys in the second half and they responded. That (Pittsburgh) team is talented now. That kid from Clemson was killing us.”

Darby's technique looked terrible yesterday. He needs a ton of coaching.

Extremely unaware of the ball, his body and loses the receiver easily when looking back. Too often I saw him turn his head only to loose the receiver, turn back around, randomly throw up his hands face-guarding. It's undeniable he has the athletic ability, and I do think he will be good, it is just a matter of how long it will take him to get there

Possibly but I think you are oversimplifying the solution. Safety help is part of every defense but a Rex Ryan defense is man-to-man on the outside. Clearly they have to do some game planning because Darby is not ready to hold up one-on-one yet.

I might be totally wrong on this.....but I saw on at least two occasions that after Darby got beat he turned right away and looked at the safeties......

I really think he was expecting safety help

I might be wrong on this because I am interpreting body language

They are just going to keep picking on him as long as he's in there. Just wait until Andrew Luck gets his turn. Pick your poison: TY Hilton or Andre Johnson

Darby won't be able to cover either

They are simply not going to be able to play man coverage with him right now.

rex has many defenses. None of which he says he has shown in the preseason. So we have not seen anything they will be doing in the regular season since he doesn't want it on film. The one you mention is the one he uses when he has 2 shut down corners. If he doesn't, he does something else. Edited by YoloinOhio

Dear WGR clown show,

Darby's baptism by fire is exactly why we have to have "meaningless" preseason games.

That is all.

Thanks

Let me add to that....all summer we heard from coaches and the beat guys---"oh he looks legit. And yea we trust him."

Live bullets start: We might have a CB 2 problem.

Edited by Big Blitz

So far, Darby is JD Williams redux, only not as athletically gifted.

GO BILLS!!!

Huh? Darby has gotten beat, but like Leodis in his early years, he's usually right there with the WR. He's not great at playing the ball, or he's being too handsy. JD, I recall, being out of position many a time, and I'm talking in no position to make a play because the WR was that far past him.

Edited by purple haze

Huh? Darby has gotten beat, but like Leodis in his early years, he's usually right there with the WR. He's not great at playing the ball, or he's being too handsy. JD, I recall, being out of position many a time, and I'm talking in no position to make a play because the WR was that far past him.

He did a better job against the Panthers in terms of positioning. Yesterday, he was lost. Terrible technique.

I don't think he is nearly as athletically gifted as JD Williams, who made big plays on special teams as well. If you recall, Williams' biggest issue was his eyesight. He had a diagnosed problem with his depth perception, which compromised his ability to make plays on the ball. I don't recall too many times where he was flat out not in position, although that happens to most CBs at some time or another.

I will just agree to disagree on this point.

My hope is that Ryan won't have to limit his schemes by being forced to play coverages that won't give him free reign. So far, based on what I have seen of Darby, he will have to. At least in the short term.

GO BILLS!!!

No JD had the same issue as McKelvin. Ball-blindness. They tried fitting him up for glasses and contacts but it's more of an awareness thing than vision.

Refined technique and a VERY LONG leash....6 years worth of slack.....helped Leodis.

But some corners come by it naturally and he and JD did not. It's not necessarily anything to do with hands......Leodis is sure handed and Darby has proven he can catch a little.

He will improve, but starting him against luck is a mistake

If Leodis cant go we have no choice unless we put corey graham at cb and duke starts at fs.

Gilmore on Johnson, robey on TY. After that our nickel and dime defense is sketchy without leodis. Darby will have to get in there

Lot of hype with naming Tmobile the starter and FJ's release.

My concern is still the cornerback position.

Anybody else worried?

Rex was wrong about Dee Milliner.

Could he be wrong about Darby too?

Could he be wrong ? Sure.

Am I concerned ? No because (1) It is way too early to tell (2) Ryan was leaving him on an island (3) Ryan was testing defensive schemes to test their communication skills (4) CB is a tough position to play

Lot of hype with naming Tmobile the starter and FJ's release.

My concern is still the cornerback position.

Anybody else worried?

Rex was wrong about Dee Milliner.

Could he be wrong about Darby too?

Still lots of time for him to develop. CB takes a while to pick up in the NFL. It's a bummer that McKelvin is down, he needs to get back ASAP. I am confident in Darby as a CB3 but it may be shaky with him at CB2 right now.