Whaley admits what we've suspected - Bills in QB Purgatory

Excuses are already flowing.

We are in purgatory because Whaley neglected the most important position on the field and refuses to admit the huge mistake that was EJ.

Imo

are you still hoping your long overdue "prediction" comes true?

maybe he should fire himself... or its a smoke screen

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the Bills' QB situation isn't a surprise, but what is surprising is that you have Whaley admitting, implicitly if not explicitly, that the Bills have little if any faith that the three guys competing for the job this year will amount to anything. That isn't surprising in the case of Cassell since no one expects him to be anything more than he has been all these years. An acknowledgment from the Bills' GM about Taylor and particularly Manuel, however, is surprising in the sense you don't expect that to be publicly acknowledged.

i am truly not surprised by the comments. I've always subscribed to the mindset that an NFL QB is who he is by year 3. Whaley knows it is now or never for EJ, and he said he was a little behind for his 3rd year. This is no secret. In the interview he was specifically asked about their draft position *if* they should need to take a QB next year, and that was how he answered. It was a great interview because they asked him very direct questions, and I thought he answered honestly. Edited by YoloinOhio

You are taking the quote out of context. He was speaking of draft position. "Purgatory" in the sense that the Bills are to good to draft first or second.

Also, did Whaley ignore the QB position or was he smart enough to know there was nothing but garbage available?

are you still hoping your long overdue "prediction" comes true?

maybe he should fire himself... or its a smoke screen

Silly BF4E, Trix are for Rabbits.

Thanks for your continued contributions.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

I agree that the Bills' QB situation isn't a surprise, but what is surprising is that you have Whaley admitting, implicitly if not explicitly, that the Bills have little if any faith that the three guys competing for the job this year will amount to anything. That isn't surprising in the case of Cassell since no one expects him to be anything more than he has been all these years. An acknowledgment from the Bills' GM about Taylor and particularly Manuel, however, is surprising in the sense you don't expect that to be publicly acknowledged.

We're in the same place we've been for a few years and will continue to be not until we sign/draft a guy but instead until a guy proves themselves as there will be no slam dunk choices. That's all. Kolb and EJ, isn't far off best case for next year if these guys fail, and that's no more of an answer than we have today. Just keep drawing cards until our hand looks good. Could be this year, just as easily as next or last.

You are taking the quote out of context. He was speaking of draft position. "Purgatory" in the sense that the Bills are to good to draft first or second.

Also, did Whaley ignore the QB position or was he smart enough to know there was nothing but garbage available?

people here taking things out of context???? NEVER!!!

"Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley said Wednesday that the Bills are "almost in quarterback purgatory" because they do not have a franchise quarterback and are unlikely to pick near the top of the draft in coming years.

"We're good enough that we're not going to have the first or second [overall] pick," Whaley told WGR 550 on Wednesday. "We hope we're not in that position. Hopefully now we're drafting in the teens and the 20s and the 30s. So you're not going to get those college guys that are coming out."

Guess it's better than QB Hell

If we draft in the 30s that doesn't sound like any kind of purgatory to me.

Excuses are already flowing.

We are in purgatory because Whaley neglected the most important position on the field and refuses to admit the huge mistake that was EJ.

Imo

You are absolutely right. Whaley put the team in purgatory by drafting EJ Manuel. The next year he drafts a WR instead of a QB. He also traded away the 1st round choice the following year to draft that receiver.

He is the master of his own fate and now he says the team is in QB purgatory. What a dumbass. Is he trying to totally rip his own QB's in public? This is sheer genius!

Whaley causes the mess and then cries in his beer.

Have to disagree with you. While I agree he was speaking of draft position, the context was how the Bills would not be able to solve their QB situation through the draft because of that draft position. The whole issue would be irrelevant if he thought any of the three mediocrities in camp would amount to anything other than seat warmers for a real QB. And even so, it seems a bit early for the GM to fessing up in this way so early in the process.

You mean other than Tyrod and Cassell?

You are absolutely right. Whaley put the team in purgatory by drafting EJ Manuel. The next year he drafts a WR instead of a QB. He also traded away the 1st round choice the following year to draft that receiver.

He is the master of his own fate and now he says the team is in QB purgatory. What a dumbass. Is he trying to totally rip his own QB's in public? This is sheer genius!

Whaley causes the mess and then cries in his beer.

I know what an absolute idiot. Everyone knows you don't just ignore the QB position. You just focus on it and draft a great one - it's so simple.

maybe Whaley should have talked to nix in 13 about the theory of only garbage being available? At least anyone worthy of a first round pick.

Love how posters take things out of context to try to suit their own agenda. They should be working for Buffalo News or WGR!

Context? Training camp just opened and the GM is wondering aloud where the Bills might have the opportunity to draft their next starting QB next year. He "hopes" its not number one or 2.

I don't think many here are confused by the context of his words...

Edited by Mr. WEO

I guess Nix and Whaley did things in the wrong order then. Instead of sacrificing picks for potentially elite WR's and drafting third round graded QBs in the first round, you trade those picks for additional picks in the following years drafts, so that you can position yourself to get that QB.

I can't recall a GM setting the stage to explain away future failures quite so transparently.