Whaley admits what we've suspected - Bills in QB Purgatory

"Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley said Wednesday that the Bills are "almost in quarterback purgatory" because they do not have a franchise quarterback and are unlikely to pick near the top of the draft in coming years.

"We're good enough that we're not going to have the first or second [overall] pick," Whaley told WGR 550 on Wednesday. "We hope we're not in that position. Hopefully now we're drafting in the teens and the 20s and the 30s. So you're not going to get those college guys that are coming out."

Guess it's better than QB Hell

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind folks, it wasn't some Internet jerk like myself being quoted. It is the Bills' GM.

i heard the interview. He's right that they won't draft high enough to get a guy at the top without trading up. QB purgatory is exactly what it is, there was nothing alarming about that statement. But this is IMO a very strong draft for QBs. They should be able to grab one with potential to compete for the starting job right away (I.e. Not a project) in the 2nd half of the 1st. I pay a ton of attention to CFB and this draft is rich in QBs if the juniors come out. Edited by YoloinOhio

screw the draft..

news is.. contract talks with Rivers will be tabled if nothing is hammered out before Chargers 8/13 preseason opener against Cowboys - http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1813/philip-rivers

he seems more than willing to test FA next season, so if he wants a SB ring or two to help him get fitted for a gold jacket - there's no better opportunity than the 2016 Bills.

i heard the interview. He's right that they won't draft high enough to get a guy at the top without trading up. QB purgatory is exactly what it is, there was nothing alarming about that statement. But this is IMO a very strong draft for QBs. They should be able to grab one with potential to compete for the starting job right away (I.e. Not a project) in the 2nd half of the 1st. I pay a ton of attention to CFB and this draft is rich in QBs if the juniors come out.

Context people, context - thanks Yolo.

screw the draft..

news is.. contract talks with Rivers will be tabled if nothing is hammered out before Chargers 8/13 preseason opener against Cowboys - http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1813/philip-rivers

he seems more than willing to test FA next season, so if he wants a SB ring or two to help him get fitted for a gold jacket - there's no better opportunity than the 2016 Bills.

I guess we can dream but let's be realistic.

Rivers is on a very leash and his wife won't let him live or play in Buffalo.

Happy Wife, Happy Life. Lol

Imo

There will be a lot of guys available in the late 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounds that have good talent, size, and numbers. At the QB position, it's always a crapshoot. I don't expect Winston to live up to his hype and he went number 1 overall.

There is nothing to overreact to here. This isn't a surprise. Get pretty good play this year and then take another swing next year if a young guy doesn't blow you away. There are a bunch of 1st round QBs next year (Cardale, Hackenberg, Cook, Goff, Brisby, Kessler, etc...). Some will rise and others will fall but it seems like 2016 might be a good year to try to find a franchise guy.

There is nothing to overreact to here. This isn't a surprise. Get pretty good play this year and then take another swing next year if a young guy doesn't blow you away. There are a bunch of 1st round QBs next year (Cardale, Hackenberg, Cook, Goff, Brisby, Kessler, etc...). Some will rise and others will fall but it seems like 2016 might be a good year to try to find a franchise guy.

I agree that the Bills' QB situation isn't a surprise, but what is surprising is that you have Whaley admitting, implicitly if not explicitly, that the Bills have little if any faith that the three guys competing for the job this year will amount to anything. That isn't surprising in the case of Cassell since no one expects him to be anything more than he has been all these years. An acknowledgment from the Bills' GM about Taylor and particularly Manuel, however, is surprising in the sense you don't expect that to be publicly acknowledged.