Whaley admits what we've suspected - Bills in QB Purgatory

I have yet to hear what some of the harshest critics would've done in Doug's shoes.

They needed to take a shot at a QB in 2013, so they took EJ (and scored extra picks in doing it).

He looked okay as a rookie, so they didn't draft any of the so-so prospects last year, opting instead to amp up his weaponry.

Who exactly was inspired by any of the options available this offseason?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley said Wednesday that the Bills are "almost in quarterback purgatory" because they do not have a franchise quarterback and are unlikely to pick near the top of the draft in coming years.

"We're good enough that we're not going to have the first or second [overall] pick," Whaley told WGR 550 on Wednesday. "We hope we're not in that position. Hopefully now we're drafting in the teens and the 20s and the 30s. So you're not going to get those college guys that are coming out."

Guess it's better than QB Hell

We're doomed because we'll be too good to improve.

Brilliant. :lol:

I have yet to hear what some of the harshest critics would've done in Doug's shoes.

They needed to take a shot at a QB in 2013, so they took EJ (and scored extra picks in doing it).

He looked okay as a rookie, so they didn't draft any of the so-so prospects last year, opting instead to amp up his weaponry.

Who exactly was inspired by any of the options available this offseason?

Draft a 2014 QB.

Who? And why would they do that after EJ's rookie year?

Carr, Bridgewater, or Manziel all went past #20. Obviously, 2 of those picks would've been pretty good right now.

Because they had an injury-prone QB who hadn't taken over the team yet? And because putting all your eggs in a 3 year project's basket may blow up in your face? Like it did?

And if that wasn't feasible (even though it totally was), take a mid round guy this year. That way, when we get to camp and everyone starts to suck, at least there's some hope the rookie kid figures it out with a year on the bench. Now we'll draft another project next year, and he'll have the same career trajectory as EJ. Fun.

Edited by FireChan

Carr, Bridgewater, or Manziel all went past #20. Obviously, 2 of those picks would've been pretty good right now.

Because they had an injury-prone QB who hadn't taken over the team yet? And because putting all your eggs in a 3 year project's basket may blow up in your face? Like it did?

Can you point out a team that drafted a QB in the first round after drafting one in the year before that wasn't the next Ryan Leaf?

Can you point out a team that drafted a QB in the first round after drafting one in the year before that wasn't the next Ryan Leaf?

Who cares? No one has done it so don't bother? EJ was a glorified second rounder anyway, just because he went high in a weak draft doesn't mean we should double down on him. That's the opposite of what you should do.

Do you think the Panthers said, "Cam's there, but we drafted Jimmy Clausen reasonably high last year and I don't wanna use two high picks on QB's?" Clearly not. When it's the most important position in the game, maybe it's time to change up our risk assessment team.

And if that wasn't feasible (even though it totally was), take a mid round guy this year. That way, when we get to camp and everyone starts to suck, at least there's some hope the rookie kid figures it out with a year on the bench. Now we'll draft another project next year, and he'll have the same career trajectory as EJ. Fun.

Maybe, maybe trading up for Bridgewater would've been an okay move. What, by the way, were you prepared to give up to do so?

Carr? No. His rookie year was at best no better than EJ's.

As for the 4th round pick that the team didn't have this year that you seemingly wanted to spend on a QB, who that was available is a clear and away better prospect than Tyrod Taylor, who is currently filling the role of "at least we can hope for him" in TC?

Whaley's remark is not a big knock on who we have. He didn't say we're in QB Hell. We're someplace in between Heaven and Hell. And not having a top draft pick may condemn us to purgatory for a while more.

We're not bad enough to have a chance to draft the QB we want, not good enough to win the SB.

But I don't get the hate toward Whaley. He's done a fine job building up the roster. He swung and apparently missed with EJ. It happens. I can't think of a single GM that goes 100% with draft picks, or even close.

Remember when that great talent evaluator, BIll Walsh, thought Trent Edwards would be a good NFL QB? Sometimes even the best personnel guys are wrong.

At least Whaley didn't play spin doctor and say we're set at QB with 3 franchise caliber QBs.

Maybe, maybe trading up for Bridgewater would've been an okay move. What, by the way, were you prepared to give up to do so?

Carr? No. His rookie year was at best no better than EJ's.

As for the 4th round pick that the team didn't have this year that you seemingly wanted to spend on a QB, who that was available is a clear and away better prospect than Tyrod Taylor, who is currently filling the role of "at least we can hope for him" in TC?

Carr's rookie year was better than EJ's, but let's say they're equal for argument's sake.

I would've given up our second and maybe our 5th and 6th? And our 7th? That'd probably be okay.

Tyrod is a 5th year player. He isn't getting better with a year on the bench learning and developing. A rookie would be. But why does their have to be a choice between the two? The roster spot would've been Tuel's/Matt Simms', not Tyrod's. They were many prospects far and away better than Simms.

Whaley is one of the best things we've got going. QBs are a crapshoot. I fully expect him to start stockpiling mid-low round picks to package for a trade up for a shot at a high pick for next year. Assuming one of our guys doesn't take the job blow everyone away...lol

Who cares? No one has done it so don't bother? EJ was a glorified second rounder anyway, just because he went high in a weak draft doesn't mean we should double down on him. That's the opposite of what you should do.

Do you think the Panthers said, "Cam's there, but we drafted Jimmy Clausen reasonably high last year and I don't wanna use two high picks on QB's?" Clearly not. When it's the most important position in the game, maybe it's time to change up our risk assessment team.

This was an awful comparison, and you know it.

Double down huh? Yea, they did that. That traded their future 1st to get him right? No, they traded back and then took him.

Clausen was drafted in the second round as a "this guy is still there!" pick. He was a projected first rounder that didn't cut it.

Double down huh? Yea, they did that. That traded their future 1st to get him right? No, they traded back and then took him.

Clausen was drafted in the second round as a "this guy is still there!" pick. He was a projected first rounder that didn't cut it.

Not only did Clausen not cut it, he's likely in the running for one of the worst QB seasons ever.

It made EJ look like the next coming of John Elway.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Carr sucks and frankly, Bridgewater leaves a lot to be desired. EJ showed similar flashes his rookie year. If these guys continue their progression off merely adequate rookie seasons, you'll have poor-man Tannehills. I understand your position, but there's no clear cut alternative, thus we remain in "QB Purgatory."

Edited by stony

They doubled down the next year, by not getting anymore QB's.

It's strange that no one sees this. The only way to ensure you don't hit on the QB lottery is to not play.

Carr sucks and frankly, Bridgewater leaves a lot to be desired. EJ showed similar flashes his rookie year. If these guys continue their progression off merely adequate rookie seasons, you'll have poor-man Tannehills.

Lolwut. Both those guys are worth infinitely more than EJ Manuel right now.

Not only did Clausen not cut it, he's likely in the running for one of the worst QB seasons ever.

True.

I was more making a point about how just because you tied up assets the year prior, you shouldn't let that factor into your decision. It's how you end up with Tyrod, Cassel and EJ simultaneously losing a QB competition.

Other teams without franchise QB's do take fliers on mid to late round draft picks. Glennon, Savage, Petty, Wilson etc. Why not do that? Is some 4th string RB really worth the 2%+ chance of finding a franchise guy?

Edited by FireChan

Carr sucks and frankly, Bridgewater leaves a lot to be desired. EJ showed similar flashes his rookie year. If these guys continue their progression off merely adequate rookie seasons, you'll have poor-man Tannehills. I understand your position, but there's no clear cut alternative, thus we remain in "QB Purgatory."

You can call it hell. It's not blasphemy.

They doubled down the next year, by not getting anymore QB's.

It's strange that no one sees this. The only way to ensure you don't hit on the QB lottery is to not play.

So you're under the impression that there is a Brady, Kaep, Wilson every year I take it then?

True.

I was more making a point about how just because you tied up assets the year prior, you shouldn't let that factor into your decision. It's how you end up with Tyrod, Cassel and EJ simultaneously losing a QB competition.

Other teams without franchise QB's do take fliers on mid to late round draft picks. Glennon, Savage, Petty etc. Why not do that? Is some 4th string RB really worth the 2%+ chance of finding a franchise guy?

I agree on taking a flyer on a late round pick. I was really hoping we drafted Mettenberger.