Leodis? Time to be worried?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too early to say for sure about Darby as starter, but the main cure for earliness is for Darby to get reps. Though one obviously has to not feel great and wonderful about McKelvin, one reasonably has to feel good about Darby as a plan B.

Given plan C in a real crunch is moving Graham back to CB or going with Brooks (who must improve to be a credible plan C, this whole episode makes me feel good about the big picture rather than worried.

The Miller boo-boo is a much bigger worry (given he is back in regular rotation for day 3 than the McKelvin setback for this fan.

I respectfully, but strongly disagree.

McKelvin's biggest asset is his speed. The man is greased lightening. When he first came to Buffalo and returned a couple of kicks to the house, I thought he could be an all time great returner. Goodwin is even faster but I digress.

I liken Leodis to a cornerback version of Lee Evans. Take away the blinding speed and there might not be enough left to carry him at the starting corner level.

An example of an athletic corner on the Bills would be Nate Clements. He was a freak athlete who did summersaults after some plays, and he was big. Unless he had injuries that I didn't know about I think that he may not have had the heart for football but again, I digress.

In summary, I think Leodis is going to have problems if he loses that half step of speed that elevates his play.

Jmo.

:(

I just don't know. I want him to succeed. He has worked his ass off.

Come on with any of this Leodis slander. Watch the games people. He was great last year before he got hurt.

Ints big hits and more.

He's proven a lot of people including myself wrong the last 2 seasons, was very good last year and I want him available even if Darby is just as good. If McKelvin isn't there, what happens when Gilmore or Darby gets hurt? Brooks may be able to handle the slot but the outside? Graham is a starting safety, how good are Duke Williams, Cockrell? No matter what you do you've probably downgraded significantly somewhere back there which can force Rex to change his calls.

:(

I just don't know. I want him to succeed. He has worked his ass off.

I am aligned with this thought. the man has worked for it. recall those horrible plays that used to make us cry. Then he would come back out and drill the running back. The guy does not quit.

Let Darby get the reps. thats cool with me.

I'm very concerned about this. I think people are missing just how good Leo has become. To expect our second round rookie to step right in and be as good (right away) is a major reach. He'll be picked on

Leodis can mentor him about what that's like....

I think people are looking for a mid-point statement. One reasonably should always be concerned about every player at about anytime in a sport so prone to violence and injury. However, I would also say, that there is no need to WORRY (meaning break a sweat or advocate making a roster change unless there is some proven medical report.

I actually do not think is reasonable to worry about losing a player if you have a comparable back-up.

Even if we lost Leodis, I am not worried because I think Ghrahm can be a capable starting CB starter if needed and that I am hopeful Darby or even Brooks in a pinch can fill to accompany Gilmore. 5 deep for two starting CB slots means we should remain concerned, but I would worry about OL way before being worried about CB.

I

But losing McKelvin hurts the depth at CB. We may have a replacement for him but not a replacement for the replacement

Obviously we should be a little worried. He had a very good year last year and I would want him back.

That said, as others have mentioned, our injuries at CB are why we drafted Darby. While optimally I would want him to get his feet wet at nickel so far Darby has looked amazing in camp. I am happy to give McKelvin time to recover so he's full speed when he gets back.

I'm very concerned about this. I think people are missing just how good Leo has become. To expect our second round rookie to step right in and be as good (right away) is a major reach. He'll be picked on

Yeah, and Leodis best year was in Pettine's scheme, too. This is a big blow given the injuries that inevitably hamper secondaries throughout the year. I always got pissed when we "wasted" picks on CBs. The reality is, you can't have enough solid CBs in today's NFL.

Sorry, everyone - I see this as a blessing in disguise. I hate to see anyone hurt, but having LM as one of our island corners has given me heartburn from the beginning. Without cover, LM is terrible. I'd rather see Darby as rookie even if LM is healthy.

Sorry, everyone - I see this as a blessing in disguise. I hate to see anyone hurt, but having LM as one of our island corners has given me heartburn from the beginning. Without cover, LM is terrible. I'd rather see Darby as rookie even if LM is healthy.

I think you're underselling how impressive Leodis was last year prior to the injury. The guy really took a step. That said, Darby seems to be playing his way into the spot. Next man up.

This is why no one should have any gripes about drafting Darby. D won't miss a beat. Still have depth with Graham able to move to CB and potentially Cockrell getting work. Didn't necessarily see Leo staying with the team longer than this year given his contract and the presence of Darby. Don't have an opinion yet, but interested in seeing how it plays out.

Well said. good teams draft corners somewhere in the first three rounds every year I bet. I wonder if anyone has done the draft stats on that

Edited by 8and8Forever

Hmmm...I disagree. IMO, prior to his injury, Leodis was arguably the best CB on the field for Buffalo last season. He has come a long way...largely due to Donnie Henderson.

I agree with you. McLovin is so under rated by many and Henderson seems to have taught him to turn his damn head also.