Ron Darby workout

Posted 30 second vid today of work he's doing. Football junkies who miss football right now like me might be interested to see our top draft pick. 3 more weeks til camp!!!!

@realronalddarby: Throw back. Got some more work in with my brother @S_Morr12 getting ready for camp. Much love 💯 http://t.co/zrTfiPbKKt

Edited by YoloinOhio

I love darby, great pick. Will be DRoY candidate IMO. Teams will throw at him early in the season, and by the end of the season will be throwing away from him.

He's not even got to play all that much barring injury. He's going to be #4 CB. They are not even working him in the slot, that job is all Robey's.

He seems very similar to McKelvin. All the physical skills, not great at playing the ball, & could be a little smarter. Though I think McKelvin just is more silly than anything.

McLuvin knows what to do with hims legs, just not his arms or hands!

Darby's lucky he's getting Donnie Henderson at the beginning of his career instead of the end like Leo.

That is probably true, but I mean, how much technique is to be taught re: when and where to put your hands up in the air?

McLuvin knows what to do with hims legs, just not his arms or hands!

McKelvin's ball skills (so dirty) has improved a lot. He was killing it last year. Darby has very good physical skills so hopefully his ball skills get better with time.

Darby's lucky he's getting Donnie Henderson at the beginning of his career instead of the end like Leo.

Agreed. People underestimate how good McKelvin has been the last couple of years. The contract we re-signed him for was a steal.

I know so why did you bring up Robey?

Because Robey is going to be on the field in nickel defenses and not Darby, obviously. Robey is playing the slot. They haven't even tried Darby there, they want him to learn to play outside, not the slot. So Darby is #4 and Robey is #3.

If one of Gilmore or Leodis gets hurt, Darby would likely go in (although right now they would likely put Graham there and let Darby learn a little more). The point is you said he may get roty and IMO he won't even play that much barring serious injury.

Because Robey is going to be on the field in nickel defenses and not Darby, obviously. Robey is playing the slot. They haven't even tried Darby there, they want him to learn to play outside, not the slot. So Darby is #4 and Robey is #3.

If one of Gilmore or Leodis gets hurt, Darby would likely go in (although right now they would likely put Graham there and let Darby learn a little more). The point is you said he may get roty and IMO he won't even play that much barring serious injury.

i disagree, in Rex's defense he'll see a of time. They didn't make him their first pick to sit on the bench most of the time.

Historically true. But given the Bills depth at CB and lack of it at safety, I suspect that he will adjust.

Who is going to see the field more this year, Duke Williams or Ronald Darby? I like Darby. I think in a year or so he is going to be a starter. But he's still pretty raw, and has two or three guys ahead of him. Robey is going to be really good in this Defense. It's built for him because he's so aggressive, has great timing on blitzes and has a good jump on the ball in press coverage. They had him playing zone and read and react last year. He's going to be fun to watch in Rex's defense.

Who is going to see the field more this year, Duke Williams or Ronald Darby? I like Darby. I think in a year or so he is going to be a starter. But he's still pretty raw, and has two or three guys ahead of him. Robey is going to be really good in this Defense. It's built for him because he's so aggressive, has great timing on blitzes and has a good jump on the ball in press coverage. They had him playing zone and read and react last year. He's going to be fun to watch in Rex's defense.

Robey was a nice pickup as an UDFA, but he has no where near the upside and expectations as Darby. Again, they did not use their first pick in the draft on a guy expected to see little playing time.

Robey was a nice pickup as an UDFA, but he has no where near the upside and expectations as Darby. Again, they did not use their first pick in the draft on a guy expected to see little playing time.

Robey is a good pass rusher. Rex covets DB's who are good at rushing the passer. They will find a way to get Robey and Darby on the field plenty.

You're just ignoring the main point of why Robey will play more than Darby barring injury. And it's a huge one.

Robey is a good pass rusher. Rex covets DB's who are good at rushing the passer. They will find a way to get Robey and Darby on the field plenty.

plus, I think it's very optimistic to assume that mc kelvin or Gilmore won't miss at least some time with injury. Gilmore missed two games last year and 5 the year before. Mc kelvin missed almost half the season. I hope they both stay healthy all year but it will be good to have another guy who can at outside since Brooks hasn't shown he can be starting caliber and neither Graham or Robey are fast enough. Edited by YoloinOhio

Maybe that's a personnel thing?

I would think more of a logistics thing. You normally play with two of each. Then the next most is obvious as your nickel CB is almost a starter. But in dimes, Rex has been known to play a lot of three safeties which he moves all over the place to disguise blitzes and have a guy who could be in coverage, could be right in the box, etc. You're just much more likely to see three safeties on the field at one time than four cornerbacks, which would be rare.

I would think more of a logistics thing. You normally play with two of each. Then the next most is obvious as your nickel CB is almost a starter. But in dimes, Rex has been known to play a lot of three safeties which he moves all over the place to disguise blitzes and have a guy who could be in coverage, could be right in the box, etc. You're just much more likely to see three safeties on the field at one time than four

cornerbacks, which would be rare.

Sure. I guess my take is in a nickel you want your best 5 DBs on the field. Whether the 5th is a corner or safety might depend on your roster. I'm pretty sure Robey has been very good at getting to the qb on a Nickel blitz. That's the trait I'd suggest they're after, and again safety depth vs corner depth may have been what made Rex's jets defense go the 3 safety route( which I belive is a "big nickel"). We will see if it a preference vs roster thing if they keep scrub safeties over average DBs Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Sure. I guess my take is in a nickel you want your best 5 DBs on the field. Whether the 5th is a corner or safety might depend on your roster. I'm pretty sure Robey has been very good at getting to the qb on a Nickel blitz. That's the trait I'd suggest they're after, and again safety depth vs corner depth may have been what made Rex's jets defense go the 3 safety route( which I belive is a "big nickel"). We will see if it a preference vs roster thing if they keep scrub safeties over average DBs

Oh I totally agree. And Robey will be the #5 DB out there right off the bat. We started talking about the #6 DB on the field, and that's where I said it's more likely to be a safety like Duke Williams or Bacarri Rambo than it is to be the fourth CB on the field at the same time like Ron Darby. Robey is playing the slot. They haven't even tried Darby there in the OTAs and mini camp.

This is not complicated (nor the reason why Darby was drafted with the first pick)

It was WIDELY speculated that the single biggest thing that has hampered Rex Ryan's defenses (even though they were still great) was lack of quality corner play. This is Rex learning from one job stop to the next........keep a quality STABLE of corners.....keep his defense dominant.

They used a 2nd round pick on him. 2nd round picks don't necessarily have to be Day 1 starters. Since it isn't mandatory for him to start right away, I'm fine with him being used sparingly until someone gets injured.

John Miller, on the other hand...he's in a position that puts more pressure on him to start, even though he's a third round pick...

You're just ignoring the main point of why Robey will play more than Darby barring injury. And it's a huge one.

That's what he does.

Robey has the best ball instincts of anyone in the secondary, maybe on the entire defense. The guy may be small, but he's earned his time on the field each year and this year I expect it to be no different. Dude just knows how to play football.

That's what he does.

Robey has the best ball instincts of anyone in the secondary, maybe on the entire defense. The guy may be small, but he's earned his time on the field each year and this year I expect it to be no different. Dude just knows how to play football.

The Pettine defense fit him much more than the Schwartz defense, but the Rex defense fits him even better than Pettine. I think he's going to have a terrific year.

Ask Leodis

Well, it sounds like Darby already has the basics, "good feel, and use of hands" which Leodis lacks.

http://www.billsdaily.com/draft/

2) CB Ronald Darby, Florida St. 5-11, 193, 4.38 - Has world class speed and is solid in coverage. Not a big playmaker with just 2 interceptions in college. Good in the back pedal. Not physical enough in run support. Has room to grow but must improve his run support. Great timing with good recognition and gets a good jump on the ball. Good feel and use of hands as he is technically sound. Good weight distribution, slightly shorter than you would like.

Maybe that's a personnel thing?

I think you are correct sir.

I can see Williams, Happy, Leo, Robey and Graham and Daahby on the field. and Duke in the box. The secondary might be as strong as the Line this year. Quite a bit of highly skilled players back there. Between Robey and Graham , adding Darby allows great matchup potential.

Like the offense , the defensive secondary will probably have the stats sheet pretty flat because of the rotations available.

with the Linebackers finally shaping up. geez!

lucky for Dearby he has Sir Donnie Henderson. As he has proven , in Leodis, he can coach. He Will coach Ron up to be ball aware . and make that play

i dont get the lingering Leodis hatred. He absolutely has turned his game around and is a strength of the team.

as mentioned the edge CBs have taken injuries so Bills are wise to stock them.

Brooks is on the bubble again

Edited by 3rdand12

Fine with me. My problem is Kelly saying Darby will ride the pine for most of his rookie season. Again, they did not use their first pick in the draft for that. They did it out of need and scheme, who they chose on defense says a lot about the latter. Rex was best when be had 2 shutdown corners....revis and cromartrie. He has one of them in Gilmore, the intention was to make Darby the other as clearly McKelvin is not shutdown.