Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing center is not like playing on an island and its very important who is playing next to them. Incognito might be the named starting LG but that doesn't mean he or the rookie at RG are playing at a starting level.

I'm not giving Wood a pass but lets not forget who was playing RG last year, and who is now playing RG. Pears at RG was an absolute disaster last year, and its difficult for the center to play up to his ability when you have such a bad player / players next to him. Then in 2013 it was Doug Legursky who we know was a bum, and is history just like Pears.

Gonna be interesting to see how the line performs in the pre season games.

Believe me, I'm keeping it in mind. But seriously from what we've been hearing both Incognito and Miller are sounding strong.

It's telling that Rex confirmed Glenn and Incognito but not Wood.

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly

Believe me, I'm keeping it in mind. But seriously from what we've been hearing both Incognito and Miller are sounding strong.

It's telling that Rex confirmed Glenn and Incognito bit not Wood.

I don't think so; Rex has beamed about Wood since he got to Buffalo. We need not jump to conclusions until we see these guys in live action (preseason).

I don't think so; Rex has beamed about Wood since he got to Buffalo. We need not jump to conclusions until we see these guys in live action (preseason).

It's a fair point that we should wait, when did Rex beam about Wood?

Believe me, I have every expectation Wood will start. But I'm hearing a lot of positives about Glenn, Incognito, Miller and Kouandjio (and some Henderson). Less so with Wood.

No TT eh?

Yeah I thought the same thing.

Joe B said he was bad early and it wasn't true. He said EJ missed Goodwin bad 5-10 yards, which was true. He also failed to mention the passes he threw to receivers that were dropped. You shoulda listed to the JM show.

I think with Joe B since he went to Florida State his mind is made up on EJ. So anything good he does doesn't even register with him. The bad stuff is just confirmation of his bias.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think with Joe B since he went to Florida State his mind is made up on EJ. So anything good be does doesn't even register with him. The bad stuff is just confirmation of his bias.

Technically he went to Florida State for a semester, but the point stands.

I'm confused, did EJ have a good night or not? Did Taylor have a better or worse night than EJ? Did Rex say Cassel is the leader?

I don't know as there are so many conflicting reports. Here is what I am taking away from things so far. EJ had the best night last night, Taylor makes huge plays and gets sacked a lot but is really exciting, Cassel has been the most consistent (albeit not great). At the moment Cassel is probably in the lead based on the fact that he is getting the most work with the 1's. If they were all on equal footing to start camp they would all be getting equal reps there. That does not mean that the other guys can't win the battle but if the season started tomorrow Cassel would probably be under center. The other thing that I think is important is the info from Kiper's Hair the other day. He indicated that the team is gauging interest on EJ and if the season started today it would be Tyrod - Cassel - Simms. Take that for what it is worth but he has proven to have solid inside info in the past.

I think that pretty much sums up the QB battle so far.

It's a fair point that we should wait, when did Rex beam about Wood?

Believe me, I have every expectation Wood will start. But I'm hearing a lot of positives about Glenn, Incognito, Miller and Kouandjio (and some Henderson). Less so with Wood.

I can't point you to a link, I'm sorry, but I recall soundbites in which he spoke of Wood in glowing terms. As to your second point, when there's an established veteran at a position I don't think it's a surprise that the coaches don't talk about him a lot. Every other spot on the OL was in question so it makes sense for them to be discussing those players.

Again, I think we'll get a feel for whether or not Wood's difficulties last season are going to be a continuing issue once we see some real game action.

Yup.

But not in so many words.

I think with Joe B since he went to Florida State his mind is made up on EJ. So anything good be does doesn't even register with him. The bad stuff is just confirmation of his bias.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I do feel like a lot of the stuff he reports loses meaning without appropriate context. This became more apparent as I followed him live while watching practice. He reports the highlights and the lowlights, but rarely the surrounding circumstances.

One glaring example was when he tweeted about "the play of the night" the long pass from TT to SW. A few guys behind me were also having a laugh at the Tweet because it was clear that, if it were a real game, TT would have been destroyed by KW on the play.

Again, no one seemed to have much success when the first team D was on the field. It just wasn't fair for the offense (and I loved it). The next time one of those guys tweets about "EJ did this terrible" or "Cassell did this great" it should come with information about who was on the field for the defense.

EJ is remarkably better than the other three from an "arm talent" perspective. TT is second in that department. Cassell just throws an ugly, ugly ball IMHO.

everything i've read says Cassel has looked horrible and is way off on his throws. one league executive went as far as to say Cassel's arm is shot and he's done. yet now you guys say he is leading the competition? i'm so confused :wallbash:

i think Tyrod is too risky. sure he makes the big play, but he also makes dumb plays in between. if we are going to be a running team then don't we just want a QB that's going to make the safe play on 3rd and short to move the sticks? we don't want someone running around in the backfield trying to make a big play when all we need is 3-4 yards.

i was getting the impression that Manuel was sort of inbetween. he's not as risky as Tyrod but he also has more upside than Cassel. i would think EJ has the best shot imo

I love how he explains that Rex is working EJ and TT with Cassel with the ones so they can learn from Cassel but then says Cassel has had 4 straight days with the ones so he's the front runner to win.

I was at camp last night, but could not stay for the whole practice, so there was a lot I missed in the last hour. I had two grandchildren with me and talked a lot about the practice and players with them. I have been making Bills fans for a while now. My oldest granddaughter is 19 and said she remembers camp when she was 4 or 5 years old. *-)

Random observations:

Fred Jackson is playing like he has been reborn. He would pick a hole and shoot through it like a cannon from backfield to daylight. I loved CJ, but too often he would run down the line looking for a whole until he ran out of field. Jackson's burst through the line reminded me of Thurman Thomas.

Sammy Watkins is amazing. What else can I say.

None of the QBs looked like a starter to me. Cassell overthrew receivers a few times, and often took 5 or 6 seconds to get rid of the ball. EJ looked the best, but that does not mean I am endorsing him. I would have a hard time choosing ANY of the four to be my leader.

In the 7 on 7 drills, there would have been at least 5 sacks. Simms and Taylor made no impression on me.

Sal Cappaccio with WGR 550 called the QB's :"inaccurate and inconsistent", and I agree.

TE Matt Mulligan at 6'4" and 267 lbs looks like an OL. I hope he can play at a high level.

When the starting DL walks out onto the field, they "swagger". They ooze confidence.

I can't wait until September!!

It's telling that Rex confirmed Glenn and Incognito but not Wood.

I was thinking the same thing until I heard Rex say in a video yesterday say "Glenn, Incognito, Wood; we are set on that side". It was one of the after practice sessions, from Sunday I think. He named Wood, that just isn't news to anyone and wasn't tweeted that I know. I think the Wood concern is an overblown twitterverse echo-chamber non-issue.

I don't know as there are so many conflicting reports. Here is what I am taking away from things so far. EJ had the best night last night, Taylor makes huge plays and gets sacked a lot but is really exciting, Cassel has been the most consistent (albeit not great). At the moment Cassel is probably in the lead based on the fact that he is getting the most work with the 1's. If they were all on equal footing to start camp they would all be getting equal reps there. That does not mean that the other guys can't win the battle but if the season started tomorrow Cassel would probably be under center. The other thing that I think is important is the info from Kiper's Hair the other day. He indicated that the team is gauging interest on EJ and if the season started today it would be Tyrod - Cassel - Simms. Take that for what it is worth but he has proven to have solid inside info in the past.

I think that pretty much sums up the QB battle so far.

This is interesting - from two separate sources - neither can agree who was better, EJ of TT....

Something I find interesting though, thru 4 practices and OTA's, Cassel is "Cassel" I guess is the best way to say it - he never does anything to excite, but never does anything make you panic...ideally, he would be a backup as when EJ or TT look sharp, they are much better than Cassel. The Bills just need one or the other to be consistent.