Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

Many conflicting QB reports from Monday night's practice. Seems either Taylor or Manuel had the best night depending on which report you believe, and that Cassell was the weakest link. Overall, here's what I take from the first 5 days of camp.

• Manuel's had a few flashes, but is still struggling with accuracy.
  • Taylor is very athletic but inconsistent reading defenses
  • Cassell is Captain Checkdown

Seems to be holding form from what was expected going into camp. If this holds form through the scrimmage on Saturday, EJ is probably the odd man out heading into preseason. He likely has to beat out Taylor, not just be comparable or equal, to make the final cut. Cassell is probably a roster lock, but could play himself into clipboard holder if he doesn't show something in the preseason.

So I too am reading many conflicting reports about last night's session -- but as I was in attendance, let me throw in my two cents:

• EJ had the best night out of the three QB's, followed by Taylor and Cassel.
  • In my opinion, EJ throws the nicest deep ball, Cassel has the most consistent accuracy on short-intermediate routes and Taylor throws best on the run.
  • In what amounts to nothing, Taylor also was the only QB who actually managed to lob the ball into the top of the garbage can in the end zone on their fade-route practices. (Each QB had maybe 6-7 attempts - Taylor had one go in and several bounce near target, Cassel had several bounce near target, EJ had a couple and Simms had virtually none anywhere near target -- until the end when he drilled the ball into a side hole).
  • The "play of the night" as being "reported," when Taylor scrambled out and hit Watkins for a "score," would never have happened in the game because he either would have been sacked or threw it away -- a blitzing defender was in his face and pulled up. Still, it was a very impressive throw on the run -- and Sammy did make a nice move on Gilmore.
  • I was mostly watching the QB's throughout practice and disagree with the reports of EJ struggling early. In the drills against air, most of EJ's throws were on the money. While all of them did fairly well, I would say Cassel was off the most. Once the contested portion began, EJ did have a lousy throw that Rambo should have intercepted hands down.
  • Watkins looked like an absolute stud and Woods looked very good as well. One interesting note that I came away with -- on the WR/CB one on one drills, it looked to me like they were working on having the WR's get off cleanly -- because the CB's were up close and pressing the whole time (as well as a good amount of jamming the receiver). This lead to alot of of the more inexperienced WR's having a difficult time breaking cleanly and led to a fair amount of incompletions by all the QB's.
  • On a final note -- though I am labeled an FSU homer by many on the board -- I honestly do not care who wins the QB job this year -- as I finally feel we have a capable coaching staff that will make a decision based on the best player we have. Last season, I had no confidence in Moron or his in-over-his-head side kick Hackett. I thought EJ was put in a terrible, no-win situation -- and am extremely pissed that we have probably the only third-year rookie QB in the game. While I hope EJ emerges as the QB (as I think it is in our best long-term interest if he is capable), I don't mind if Cassel or Taylor emerges. Therefore -- my opinion is hopefully unbiased. I did think it was appropriate to comment on my observation about EJ last night -- because reading Joe B. and Matthew Fairburn (who I normally like)'s assessment made me wonder if we were at the same practice.

Looking forward to Saturday night!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't Smith replaced because he got injured? I mean Kaep made the most out of his opportunity, but it's not like he got it by learning from Smith on the bench.

Yes, Smith had a concussion. Reports said that the method the Bills are using for QBs in training camp are what helped Kaepernick in SF.

So I too am reading many conflicting reports about last night's session -- but as I was in attendance, let me throw in my two cents:

• In my opinion, EJ throws the nicest deep ball, Cassel has the most consistent accuracy on short-intermediate routes and Taylor throws best on the run.
  • In what amounts to nothing, Taylor also was the only QB who actually managed to lob the ball into the top of the garbage can in the end zone on their fade-route practices. (Each QB had maybe 6-7 attempts - Taylor had one go in and several bounce near target, Cassel had several bounce near target, EJ had a couple and Simms had virtually none anywhere near target -- until the end when he drilled the ball into a side hole).
  • The "play of the night" as being "reported," when Taylor scrambled out and hit Watkins for a "score," would never have happened in the game because he either would have been sacked or threw it away -- a blitzing defender was in his face and pulled up. Still, it was a very impressive throw on the run -- and Sammy did make a nice move on Gilmore.
  • I was mostly watching the QB's throughout practice and disagree with the reports of EJ struggling early. In the drills against air, most of EJ's throws were on the money. While all of them did fairly well, I would say Cassel was off the most. Once the contested portion began, EJ did have a lousy throw that Rambo should have intercepted hands down.
  • Watkins looked like an absolute stud and Woods looked very good as well. One interesting note that I came away with -- on the WR/CB one on one drills, it looked to me like they were working on having the WR's get off cleanly -- because the CB's were up close and pressing the whole time (as well as a good amount of jamming the receiver). This lead to alot of of the more inexperienced WR's having a difficult time breaking cleanly and led to a fair amount of incompletions by all the QB's.
  • On a final note -- though I am labeled an FSU homer by many on the board -- I honestly do not care who wins the QB job this year -- as I finally feel we have a capable coaching staff that will make a decision based on the best player we have. Last season, I had no confidence in Moron or his in-over-his-head side kick Hackett. I thought EJ was put in a terrible, no-win situation -- and am extremely pissed that we have probably the only third-year rookie QB in the game. While I hope EJ emerges as the QB (as I think it is in our best long-term interest if he is capable), I don't mind if Cassel or Taylor emerges. Therefore -- my opinion is hopefully unbiased. I did think it was appropriate to comment on my observation about EJ last night -- because reading Joe B. and Matthew Fairburn (who I normally like)'s assessment made me wonder if we were at the same practice.

Thank you Nole!!

Thanks for the excellent breakdown.

haven't heard much on clay -- can anyone who's been there shed some light?

He hasn't been targeted one time in the team 11-11 work in four days. But don't read into it at all. He's going to be a huge part of the offense (although he won't put up monster numbers which will lead to all kinds of ill-informed posts about not worth the money).

He has been looking good catching the ball in drills.

Man, I almost posted EJ's exact quote this morning after thinking the same thing. He admitted to being dissatisfied with how he played Saturday and Sunday, but said he felt better last night.

Last year he never said those kinds of things -- it was always, "I felt good out there and did some good things."

Maybe he's "getting it."

Or Marrone is gone?

he had a catch last night and has been out there the whole time but per some observers they haven't been using the TE much with the 1s. They expect that to change soon as they incorporate more.

Surprisingly I saw one person note that they think Gragg has the upper hand on the #2 TE position.

Edited by YoloinOhio

JoeB waits for EJ to have one off throw and then uses that play to define him.

What a shocking response!! I was hoping for "____ sucks, ____sucks worse and I am going to punch______ in the face if he ever misses high over the middle again."

He would need a dose or two of truth serum to get those kind of answers.

The guy was on the field a lot, but I only saw him targeted once in 7 v 7. He had a nice catch and run on a crossing pattern. Chris Gragg seems to be getting targeted the most of the TE's based on what I saw and have been reading.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

The guy was on the field a lot, but I only saw him targeted once in 7 v 7. He had a nice catch and run on a crossing pattern. Chris Gragg seems to be getting targeted the most of the TE's based on what I saw and have been reading.

maybe they are trying to assess whether Gragg is worth keeping

Believe me, I'm keeping it in mind. But seriously from what we've been hearing both Incognito and Miller are sounding strong.

It's telling that Rex confirmed Glenn and Incognito but not Wood.

In the same press conference he announced Richie and Glenn as starters, Rex made it clear Wood is starting. Not sure why people (reporters not you) omitted that when those reports came out.

In his quote about Incognito and Glenn being starters he also included Wood as a starter.

Exactly. Beat me to it.

Thank you, reports from last night were really confusing. You and John did a better job than so called reporters.

I don't want to seem like I am cherry picking the info I want, but I am noticing a trend:

Fans who stay for the whole practice and write up the results tend to find that EJ looks better than what the reporters are saying. That's not to say that they pull punches when he has a bad day (see Sunday) but almost uniformly fan reports portray EJ as the best option.

Just saying.

I don't want to seem like I am cherry picking the info I want, but I am noticing a trend:

Fans who stay for the whole practice and write up the results tend to find that EJ looks better than what the reporters are saying. That's not to say that they pull punches when he has a bad day (see Sunday) but almost uniformly fan reports portray EJ as the best option.

Just saying.

I believe both Vic and Dunne said EJ had the best day too

Was Vic Carucci, Mike Rodak and Sal off today? Didn't read any EJ sucks tweets yet

Lol im looking for the proof that EJ was terrible for the first hour and a half like i have read. Everyone here who is commenting is saying that he is looking good. Sal said he was bad in the beginning but its not consistent with what I am reading

Edited by Agent 91