Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

So I too am reading many conflicting reports about last night's session -- but as I was in attendance, let me throw in my two cents:

• EJ had the best night out of the three QB's, followed by Taylor and Cassel.
  • In my opinion, EJ throws the nicest deep ball, Cassel has the most consistent accuracy on short-intermediate routes and Taylor throws best on the run.
  • In what amounts to nothing, Taylor also was the only QB who actually managed to lob the ball into the top of the garbage can in the end zone on their fade-route practices. (Each QB had maybe 6-7 attempts - Taylor had one go in and several bounce near target, Cassel had several bounce near target, EJ had a couple and Simms had virtually none anywhere near target -- until the end when he drilled the ball into a side hole).
  • The "play of the night" as being "reported," when Taylor scrambled out and hit Watkins for a "score," would never have happened in the game because he either would have been sacked or threw it away -- a blitzing defender was in his face and pulled up. Still, it was a very impressive throw on the run -- and Sammy did make a nice move on Gilmore.
  • I was mostly watching the QB's throughout practice and disagree with the reports of EJ struggling early. In the drills against air, most of EJ's throws were on the money. While all of them did fairly well, I would say Cassel was off the most. Once the contested portion began, EJ did have a lousy throw that Rambo should have intercepted hands down.
  • Watkins looked like an absolute stud and Woods looked very good as well. One interesting note that I came away with -- on the WR/CB one on one drills, it looked to me like they were working on having the WR's get off cleanly -- because the CB's were up close and pressing the whole time (as well as a good amount of jamming the receiver). This lead to alot of of the more inexperienced WR's having a difficult time breaking cleanly and led to a fair amount of incompletions by all the QB's.
  • On a final note -- though I am labeled an FSU homer by many on the board -- I honestly do not care who wins the QB job this year -- as I finally feel we have a capable coaching staff that will make a decision based on the best player we have. Last season, I had no confidence in Moron or his in-over-his-head side kick Hackett. I thought EJ was put in a terrible, no-win situation -- and am extremely pissed that we have probably the only third-year rookie QB in the game. While I hope EJ emerges as the QB (as I think it is in our best long-term interest if he is capable), I don't mind if Cassel or Taylor emerges. Therefore -- my opinion is hopefully unbiased. I did think it was appropriate to comment on my observation about EJ last night -- because reading Joe B. and Matthew Fairburn (who I normally like)'s assessment made me wonder if we were at the same practice.

Looking forward to Saturday night!

Thanks for this...

I want EJ to win the QB job simply because we used a 1st Round pick on him and I feel it would be best for the Franchise if that's the way it goes down...But I certainly want him to win it...and earn it...No matter what, I want the QB that gives us the best chance to win to start week #1...

That being said...I listen to a gross amount of WGR every week mostly because I moved back to NC last November and I crave Buffalo Sports talk...I listen to the morning and afternoon shows and the weekend show...IMHO there is such a clear and just...well...blind bias against EJ among some Bills fans and especially Bills media that I find it ridiculous at this point...And let me be a little more clear...I have been critical of EJ myself...Especially his lack of ability to consistently hit open receivers in stride...But some of the drivel analysis I listen to by some fans and media...It's just a joke...

Mike Mayock was among EJ staunchest supporters before the Draft...Mayock moved EJ up to the #2 QB on his board while everyone else (possibly correctly) was calling him a 3rd-5th round pick...But Mayock was crystal clear that EJ should be viewed as a piece of clay...It would take time to mold him...He was not ready...It would take time and patience...So...Even the guy who was his biggest supporter was warning everyone he was not ready...But due to circumstances, EJ is thrown into the fire as a Rookie, looks good at times, and bad at time, then gets hurt...The next year he gets benched after his 3rd game...Does this sound like the way to handle a piece of clay? :lol:

Anyway...Anyone who says they just know EJ does not have it is joking themselves...I'm 100% willing to admit I have no idea...And I'm also 100% willing to admit he may never amount to much...But what I do know is that EJ is smart, hard working, and has a load of natural physical talent...I just can't for the life of me figure out why so many observers of this team seem to...IMHO...be under the assumption that EJ has no chance...And due to that assumption they are taking SO much out of context...Taking one throw-away quote by Rex during Mini Camp and suggesting by the tone that EJ is simply not Rex's guy, but ignoring the fact that Rex picked EJ out as one of the players that impressed him most the 1st day of Camp...And now pounding, and I mean POUNDING the "fact" that EJ looks worst of the three...or that EJ started with the 2nd team on the the first day...I'm guessing based on this it will simply be glossed over that EJ took the 1st snaps with the 1st team in the 1st Night Practice right?

Seriously...I'm so sick of it...Good grief... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol im looking for the proof that EJ was terrible for the first hour and a half like i have read. Everyone here who is commenting is saying that he is looking good. Sal said he was bad in the beginning but its not consistent with what I am reading

Per Rodak (so take it as it's worth)

Consider this sequence of plays from EJ Manuel in the second 11-on-11 period of Monday night's practice, held under the lights for the first time this summer:

First down: Marquise Goodwin creates separation on deep crossing pattern but Manuel's pass falls 5 or 10 yards short for an incompletion.

Second down: Bryce Brown run.

Third down: Manuel telegraphs a pass on an inside route to safety Bacarri Rambo, who would have returned it for a pick-six if he could hang onto the ball.

First down: Karlos Williams run.

Second down: Fred Jackson run.

Third down: Sammy Watkins beats first-year cornerback Rod Sweeting down the left sideline and Manuel lofts a pass for a completion and potential touchdown.

Add that to Manuel's lone dropback in the first 11-on-11 drill -- a check-down to Williams off the play action -- and how would you evaluate Manuel's performance for the night?

Take the first two plays, and Manuel looked as poor as the quarterback who was benched last season -- if not worse. Add in the third play, and perhaps there's progress. Or do you discount that play because of the mismatch between Watkins and Sweeting?

Such is the challenge of evaluating the Bills' uncertain and ever-fluid quarterback competition, a battle that Rex Ryan says will heat up when the offense begins game-planning periods of practices following Tuesday's day off.

Sounded like a good practice for the young QBs. I think EJ was probably the biggest surprise. It will be interesting to see what Astro's take is. Also I think a light day for McCoy (from what I read on twitter).

I have been waiting for Astro all day. I cant wait. But i want mistakes from the young guys in TC, this is the time to try stuff and see what works... Get some arm work in. Take a look at different defenses. Rex is the best defensive coach to have your young guys trying to decipher in practice and minicamp. Especially what i was hearing from that 46. Its great for our o line to learn to block too!

I have been waiting for Astro all day. I cant wait. But i want mistakes from the young guys in TC, this is the time to try stuff and see what works... Get some arm work in. Take a look at different defenses. Rex is the best defensive coach to have your young guys trying to decipher in practice and minicamp. Especially what i was hearing from that 46. Its great for our o line to learn to block too!

Pretty sure astro said in his last report that he wouldn't be there and would be back on Wednesday.

Look at the date stamp on Agent 91's post

I believe he was assuming that he would post his review of yesterdays practice sometime this morning since it was a night practice. I was thinking the same thing regarding astro's report but as I said before, I don't believe he was in attendance last night since he said he would be back Wednesday.

I believe he was assuming that he would post his review of yesterdays practice sometime this morning since it was a night practice. I was thinking the same thing regarding astro's report but as I said before, I don't believe he was in attendance last night since he said he would be back Wednesday.

Yes,

And that's a bummer if he wasn't there. Then again...no need to over analyze this stuff too much.

Thanks for this...

I want EJ to win the QB job simply because we used a 1st Round pick on him and I feel it would be best for the Franchise if that's the way it goes down...But I certainly want him to win it...and earn it...No matter what, I want the QB that gives us the best chance to win to start week #1...

That being said...I listen to a gross amount of WGR every week mostly because I moved back to NC last November and I crave Buffalo Sports talk...I listen to the morning and afternoon shows and the weekend show...IMHO there is such a clear and just...well...blind bias against EJ among some Bills fans and especially Bills media that I find it ridiculous at this point...And let me be a little more clear...I have been critical of EJ myself...Especially his lack of ability to consistently hit open receivers in stride...But some of the drivel analysis I listen to by some fans and media...It's just a joke...

Mike Mayock was among EJ staunchest supporters before the Draft...Mayock moved EJ up to the #2 QB on his board while everyone else (possibly correctly) was calling him a 3rd-5th round pick...But Mayock was crystal clear that EJ should be viewed as a piece of clay...It would take time to mold him...He was not ready...It would take time and patience...So...Even the guy who was his biggest supporter was warning everyone he was not ready...But due to circumstances, EJ is thrown into the fire as a Rookie, looks good at times, and bad at time, then gets hurt...The next year he gets benched after his 3rd game...Does this sound like the way to handle a piece of clay? :lol:

Anyway...Anyone who says they just know EJ does not have it is joking themselves...I'm 100% willing to admit I have no idea...And I'm also 100% willing to admit he may never amount to much...But what I do know is that EJ is smart, hard working, and has a load of natural physical talent...I just can't for the life of me figure out why so many observers of this team seem to...IMHO...be under the assumption that EJ has no chance...And due to that assumption they are taking SO much out of context...Taking one throw-away quote by Rex during Mini Camp and suggesting by the tone that EJ is simply not Rex's guy, but ignoring the fact that Rex picked EJ out as one of the players that impressed him most the 1st day of Camp...And now pounding, and I mean POUNDING the "fact" that EJ looks worst of the three...or that EJ started with the 2nd team on the the first day...I'm guessing based on this it will simply be glossed over that EJ took the 1st snaps with the 1st team in the 1st Night Practice right?

Seriously...I'm so sick of it...Good grief... B-)

Exactly!! I remember Greg Roman refer to EJ as a "piece of clay" in an earlier interview.

I'm starting to think that people somehow went to practices in a number of parallel universes lol

I think that the QB play has probably been pretty inconsistent. That is why you are getting a variety of opinions. There are some other things that sound like have definitely happened and that is the rapid development of Darby and Sammy Watkins becoming a superstar.

Lol im looking for the proof that EJ was terrible for the first hour and a half like i have read. Everyone here who is commenting is saying that he is looking good. Sal said he was bad in the beginning but its not consistent with what I am reading

Go listen to the John Murphy Show account of practice. It was very different from what was printed by media. He even sounded like he was annoyed by the negative perception the media was giving EJ.

I haven't been able to attend Training Camp, but have read and watched every report I can quickly get my hands on. Here are my impressions formed at a distance.

What would you Update?

Better - Players who have made me think more highly of them

Miller
Incognito
Darby
Charles
Harvin
Easley
Watkins
Woods - I almost didn't include him here. He seems to always work hard and get results
Thigpen
Holley - I think he lands on the PS

Worse

Cockrell

Hogan - I think he needs to stand out with a good TC to make the team

MarQueis Gray

Absent (What's up?)

Clay - I'm curious why his name hasn't been called
Brooks
Hogan - I have heard very very little about Hogan
Edits:
Changed Charley to Stephon Charles