Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

Thanks for this...

I want EJ to win the QB job simply because we used a 1st Round pick on him and I feel it would be best for the Franchise if that's the way it goes down...But I certainly want him to win it...and earn it...No matter what, I want the QB that gives us the best chance to win to start week #1...

That being said...I listen to a gross amount of WGR every week mostly because I moved back to NC last November and I crave Buffalo Sports talk...I listen to the morning and afternoon shows and the weekend show...IMHO there is such a clear and just...well...blind bias against EJ among some Bills fans and especially Bills media that I find it ridiculous at this point...And let me be a little more clear...I have been critical of EJ myself...Especially his lack of ability to consistently hit open receivers in stride...But some of the drivel analysis I listen to by some fans and media...It's just a joke...

Mike Mayock was among EJ staunchest supporters before the Draft...Mayock moved EJ up to the #2 QB on his board while everyone else (possibly correctly) was calling him a 3rd-5th round pick...But Mayock was crystal clear that EJ should be viewed as a piece of clay...It would take time to mold him...He was not ready...It would take time and patience...So...Even the guy who was his biggest supporter was warning everyone he was not ready...But due to circumstances, EJ is thrown into the fire as a Rookie, looks good at times, and bad at time, then gets hurt...The next year he gets benched after his 3rd game...Does this sound like the way to handle a piece of clay? :lol:

Anyway...Anyone who says they just know EJ does not have it is joking themselves...I'm 100% willing to admit I have no idea...And I'm also 100% willing to admit he may never amount to much...But what I do know is that EJ is smart, hard working, and has a load of natural physical talent...I just can't for the life of me figure out why so many observers of this team seem to...IMHO...be under the assumption that EJ has no chance...And due to that assumption they are taking SO much out of context...Taking one throw-away quote by Rex during Mini Camp and suggesting by the tone that EJ is simply not Rex's guy, but ignoring the fact that Rex picked EJ out as one of the players that impressed him most the 1st day of Camp...And now pounding, and I mean POUNDING the "fact" that EJ looks worst of the three...or that EJ started with the 2nd team on the the first day...I'm guessing based on this it will simply be glossed over that EJ took the 1st snaps with the 1st team in the 1st Night Practice right?

Seriously...I'm so sick of it...Good grief... B-)

HERE HERE!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been able to attend Training Camp, but have read and watched every report I can quickly get my hands on. Here are my impressions formed at a distance.

What would you Update?

Better - Players who have made me think more highly of them

Miller

Incognito

Darby

Charles

Harvin

Easley

Watkins

Woods - I almost didn't include him here. He seems to always work hard and get results

Thigpen

Holley - I think he lands on the PS

Worse

Cockrell

Hogan - I think he needs to stand out with a good TC to make the team

MarQueis Gray

Absent (What's up?)

Clay - I'm curious why his name hasn't been called

Brooks

Hogan - I have heard very very little about Hogan

Robey - I expected to hear his name more

Just to add a name I have heard some good things about Deonte Thompson (at least I think that is his name). He is an off the radar guy that some think has a chance to make the team. I wouldn't say it is likely (think that he is a WR) but it sounds like he will end up in the NFL. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I haven't been able to attend Training Camp, but have read and watched every report I can quickly get my hands on. Here are my impressions formed at a distance.

What would you Update?

Better - Players who have made me think more highly of them

Miller
Incognito
Darby
Charles
Harvin
Easley
Watkins
Woods - I almost didn't include him here. He seems to always work hard and get results
Thigpen
Holley - I think he lands on the PS

Worse

Cockrell

Hogan - I think he needs to stand out with a good TC to make the team

MarQueis Gray

Absent (What's up?)

Clay - I'm curious why his name hasn't been called
Brooks
Hogan - I have heard very very little about Hogan
Robey - I expected to hear his name more

Rex has gushed about Robey a few times over the first four days.

JoeB waits for EJ to have one off throw and then uses that play to define him.

Joe B does seem to do that. There are a few players that he does not seem to be objective about. One is EJ. Another is Seantrel.

I used to really like Joe B and thought he was a cut above everyone else. Not so much anymore. He can be good, but I would not say he is much better than everyone else.

Rex has gushed about Robey a few times over the first four days.

Thanks. I'll edit my list. I heard one reference, but expected to hear more. I have a very high opinion of Robey and think he can be a star in this defense.

Based on what we've heard it seems like Gragg could end up the #2 TE

I haven't really seen/heard that. Is there anything you can point to?

What about Tony Stewart? Absent?

I'd expect a 6th round rookie to take awhile to get up to speed. I'm not surprised by the lack of mentions. Are you?

I'd expect a 6th round rookie to take awhile to get up to speed. I'm not surprised by the lack of mentions. Are you?

The time to acclimate is expected but I've seen things about O'Leary and Lewis, both late round picks. I'd expect to hear something about him

Chris Trapasso ‏@ChrisTrapasso 6h6 hours ago

Chris Trapasso retweeted Ryne McCord

Been involved a little. Right now, I'd say Gragg has the leg up on the TE No. 2 competition over Gray / O'Leary. Chris Trapasso added,

Ryne McCord @rynemccord

@ChrisTrapasso do we expect O'Leary to make team? How's he looked? TE of the future?

Plus Gray dropped one in the end zone while Gragg has made of number of plays that have been tweeted

Joe B does seem to do that. There are a few players that he does not seem to be objective about. One is EJ. Another is Seantrel.

I used to really like Joe B and thought he was a cut above everyone else. Not so much anymore. He can be good, but I would not say he is much better than everyone else.

I like Joe B...I really do...

But...

Joe B went to FSU and has been anti-EJ from before the Bills Drafted him...He's just another one of the many who are completely and totally ignoring the fact that no one ever said EJ would be an overnight success...He's also another who has, at least at times, been stupidly critical of EJ...But he has plenty of company... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Although I doubt it matters to some, I think it bears reminding that training camp consists of 17 practices, and that doesn't include the 4 preseason games mixed in. Once training camp breaks on August 25, there are still two and a half weeks, two more preseason games, and who knows how many practices (12?) before the first actual regular season game (probably a couple dozen).

Right now we're 4 practices in to that whole process. The time to judge is not now, people.

I like Jo B...I really do...

But...

Joe B is a FSU Grad who has been anti-EJ from before the Bills Drafted him...He's just another one of the many who are completely and totally ignoring the fact that no one ever said EJ would be an overnight success...He's also another who has, at least at times, been stupidly critical of EJ...But he has plenty of company... B-)

I totally agree with you.

People are WAY too quick in their assessment of QBs. It takes time. It is the toughest position to play.

I have not given up on EJ. Even if he ends up not starting this year, I have no problem with the Bills continuing to develop him.

What about Tony Stewart? Absent?

I didn't pay close attention to Steward or Tarpley last night. I did notice Steward on a few plays, purely for his physical prowess. The kid is a beast. I also noticed Steward hanging around with Brown and Bradham quite a bit. He'd be wise to pick their brains.

Although I doubt it matters to some, I think it bears reminding that training camp consists of 17 practices, and that doesn't include the 4 preseason games mixed in. Once training camp breaks on August 25, there are still two and a half weeks, two more preseason games, and who knows how many practices (12?) before the first actual regular season game (probably a couple dozen).

Right now we're 4 practices in to that whole process. The time to judge is not now, people.

Of course not. Judgements should have been finalized last Friday at the LATEST! ;)

I didn't pay close attention to Steward or Tarpley last night. I did notice Steward on a few plays, purely for his physical prowess. The kid is a beast. I also noticed Steward hanging around with Brown and Bradham quite a bit. He'd be wise to pick their brains.

Cool thanks!

Was he lining up at ILB?

Chris Trapasso ‏@ChrisTrapasso 6h6 hours ago

Chris Trapasso retweeted Ryne McCord

Been involved a little. Right now, I'd say Gragg has the leg up on the TE No. 2 competition over Gray / O'Leary. Chris Trapasso added,

Ryne McCord @rynemccord

@ChrisTrapasso do we expect O'Leary to make team? How's he looked? TE of the future?

Plus Gray dropped one in the end zone while Gragg has made of number of plays that have been tweeted

Interesting. Thanks. I don't know what to think.

I haven't heard anything bad about O'Leary, but then again, I don't remember anything at all about him from the last session or two. I thnik he's definitely making the team and very likely to contribute more than Gragg. (Call it intuition.)

Besides Manuel's TD pass to Gragg, Google isn't finding much for me. I see a couple references to him being young, inexperienced, and blocking well.... Edit: not blocking well!

From Astro's Day 2:

EJ throws to Gragg, who again drops it, but Ladler had excellent coverage. Karlos shows one of his tough inside 1-cut runs, and we marvel at his balance. EJ throws to Deonte thompson on an out pattern, and it was one of his best throws today, but Deonte Thompson is going to make this squad one way or another. The next play looks the same at first, but McCoy gets the handoff on an opposite "Wham" play. Ty notes that they're running many plays off the same initial look, and some are runs, some are screens, some are downfield, some are dumpoffs. Defenses are not going to be able to key on the look.

From Astro's Day 1:

Practice Notes Day 1, Friday:

Random:

--Jimmy Gaines had a nice strip, resulting in a fumble.

--Felton had two drops this morning. Conner, Rex's FB, caught all balls thrown to him. Line for 11:11 was Glenn-Miller-Wood-Cyril-Kujo at one point.

--TE Mulligan made two nice catches. He's known as a blocking TE, but could end up being the 4th TE if he keeps this up. Gragg, not to be outdone, had a nice catch, too, where he faked a block and slanted in.

--Duke Williams INT was due to intense DL and LB pressure. We can bring it.

--Gilmore isn't there yet. Of course, he was on an island vs Watkins, then Harvin, then Goodwin. Later, Woods sells Gilly on a fly pattern and slants over the middle.

--I'm seeing the pre-snap shifts and motions that Greg Roman has instituted.

Edited by Matt in KC

I like Jo B...I really do...

But...

Joe B is a FSU Grad who has been anti-EJ from before the Bills Drafted him...He's just another one of the many who are completely and totally ignoring the fact that no one ever said EJ would be an overnight success...He's also another who has, at least at times, been stupidly critical of EJ...But he has plenty of company... B-)

Joe had a cup of coffee at FSU. He graduated from a local (WNY) college. But yes, it's clear he didn't like EJ at FSU and his bias consistently carries over to his analysis of EJ as a Bill.