Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

Toronto made a great hire, Babcock is a very good coach and he's working with a GM in which he is very familiar. Toronto has a long way to go, but in hockey things can turn around pretty quick. It always blows my mind how awful the leafs have been the past 10 years, an original 6 team that can draw FA's because of a huge bank role and they just suck at putting a team together. I can see Babcock turning that team around and the Buffalo/Toronto rivalry will heat up even more when the meet up in the playoffs in the near future...

Edited by ricojes

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is dead on. Nobody has been able to tame the situation there in almost 50 years... especially since the cap is in place. Babcock is a great coach and knows how to inspire and has seen many situations... but this will be like nothing he has done.

The Toronto media whittles their coaches to a nub especially when the media thinks the coach can literally change the team to a winner.. He is in for a shock.

Toronto made a great hire, Babcock is a very good coach and he's working with a GM in which he is very familiar. Toronto has a long way to go, but in hockey things can turn around pretty quick. It always blows my mind how awful the leafs have been the past 10 years, an original 6 team that can draw FA's because of a huge bank role and they just suck at putting a team together. I can see Babcock turning that team around and the Buffalo/Toronto rivalry will heat up even more when the meet up in the playoffs in the near future...

Toronto is one of the least preferred destinations to high calibre free agents.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

The Toronto media whittles their coaches to a nub especially when the media thinks the coach can literally change the team to a winner.. He is in for a shock.

Shock may be an understatement. Brian Burke is still in recovery.

There is no GM... Brendan Shanahan who doesnt seem to have any experience, education, or clue has been running the show as a GM. Making moves a GM would make.... but hasnt hired a GM... and decided to give the keys to the car to a coach with no GM input

Here is a great column on the situation

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/good-luck-with-the-maple-leafs-mike-babcock-youre-going-to-need-it/

Edited by May Day 10

that is surprising, why don't FAs want to go there?

Leafs are similar to a government operation. They have a monopoly on the city. The heart of hockey in North America and probably the world. Corporations, businesses and inexhaustible fan base guarantee private boxes and seats are filled not matter the state of the team. No matter what the product is put out on the ice the building is filled or at least the tix are sold. Several networks show their games locally and nationally. Management is not especially motivated to succeed because they don't really have to. I believe this is the culture of the Leafs now. Every so often they pull off a big hire or player signing to quiet the whiney press and guarantee ticket sales and ratings but that doesn't mean they are committed to winning. Much like the government they don't have to worry about going broke or making a profit. That's assured. Out here in San Jose they have to put a good product on the ice. It's not a traditional market and there is all kinds of competition for the sport fan dollar.

Leafs are similar to a government operation. They have a monopoly on the city. The heart of hockey in North America and probably the world. Corporations, businesses and inexhaustible fan base guarantee private boxes and seats are filled not matter the state of the team. No matter what the product is put out on the ice the building is filled or at least the tix are sold. Several networks show their games locally and nationally. Management is not especially motivated to succeed because they don't really have to. I believe this is the culture of the Leafs now. Every so often they pull off a big hire or player signing to quiet the whiney press and guarantee ticket sales and ratings but that doesn't mean they are committed to winning. Much like the government they don't have to worry about going broke or making a profit. That's assured. Out here in San Jose they have to put a good product on the ice. It's not a traditional market and there is all kinds of competition for the sport fan dollar.

So, similar to the way the Bills had been run the previous decade or so? They knew we'd show up in droves win or lose, and then sign TO or something like that to gain interest. Plus hanging the looming threat of Toronto over us.

So, similar to the way the Bills had been run the previous decade or so? They knew we'd show up in droves win or lose, and then sign TO or something like that to gain interest. Plus hanging the looming threat of Toronto over us.

I suppose so. There is a famous incident that happened years ago when Gretzky became available after his Kings stint I believe. Management wanted to get him. He would be a natural being from near by Brantford and so on. Management asked the board for permission to pursue him and they said, paraphrasing "Why should we pay to sign him? It's not like he's going to put any more people in the seats". And they were right. Joint is already full with more waiting to get in. Hell i remember when I was a kid in school it was special if you went to a Leaf game. The only ones that went were the ones that had season tickets or knew someone who had them. We got them because my fathers business had two sets (a pair in the end blues and a pair of reds. We never got the reds lol they were prime) to give to customers. We would get the end blues a lot.

There is no GM... Brendan Shanahan who doesnt seem to have any experience, education, or clue has been running the show as a GM. Making moves a GM would make.... but hasnt hired a GM... and decided to give the keys to the car to a coach with no GM input

Here is a great column on the situation

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/good-luck-with-the-maple-leafs-mike-babcock-youre-going-to-need-it/

Babcock doesn't require GM input? Yeah, that's not going to work out so well.

Was just watching Sportsnet (Toronto's flagship sports station) and they had Babcock on. He said the process wasn't about the money. Okay? He can't even admit to it that money played a factor. I have no problem what he did but IMO why lie about it now that money wasn't a deciding factor between detriot, TO and BUF. He was never interested in the Sabres, why negiotate a contract in which the sole purpose was to up the asking price so he could squeeze every last penny out of the Leafs.

As a Leafs fan I was left with a bad feeling after listening to him.

He had the same money here, I think being Canadian he wanted to go back and win the Cup for Canada at the so-called mecca of Hockey.

I suppose so. There is a famous incident that happened years ago when Gretzky became available after his Kings stint I believe. Management wanted to get him. He would be a natural being from near by Brantford and so on. Management asked the board for permission to pursue him and they said, paraphrasing "Why should we pay to sign him? It's not like he's going to put any more people in the seats". And they were right. Joint is already full with more waiting to get in. Hell i remember when I was a kid in school it was special if you went to a Leaf game. The only ones that went were the ones that had season tickets or knew someone who had them. We got them because my fathers business had two sets (a pair in the end blues and a pair of reds. We never got the reds lol they were prime) to give to customers. We would get the end blues a lot.

I remember this.

Wayne said he wanted to retire a Leaf and they still passed.

They would have made his salary back in jersey sales alone.

I am from Brantford as well...Go Gretzky!!!

CBF

I remember this.

Wayne said he wanted to retire a Leaf and they still passed.

They would have made his salary back in jersey sales alone.

I am from Brantford as well...Go Gretzky!!!

CBF

How is Brantford now? When I was there is was tiny. Anyway I guess the Leafs good fortune of being in a place like Toronto is also a curse, at least for the fans. I would really love to see a team in Mississauga or even Hamilton or London,Ont to give the Leafs something to think about.

How is Brantford now? When I was there is was tiny. Anyway I guess the Leafs good fortune of being in a place like Toronto is also a curse, at least for the fans. I would really love to see a team in Mississauga or even Hamilton or London,Ont to give the Leafs something to think about.

Brantford is getting better. My parents still live there so I go there often. The downtown is starting to look a lot better.

I wish Hamilton got a team but that will never happen.

I can see Toronto getting a 2nd team and play out of Vaughn or someplace around there

CBF

Brantford is getting better. My parents still live there so I go there often. The downtown is starting to look a lot better.

I wish Hamilton got a team but that will never happen.

I can see Toronto getting a 2nd team and play out of Vaughn or someplace around there

CBF

You guys actually almost got us but Golisano refused to sell to out of market buyers.