Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

@WGR550

Sabres' feel burned by Babcock http://bit.ly/1F2qhzB

@LouisJean_TVA

Sources indicate the #MapleLeafs were in talks w/ Guy Boucher this am to make him next head coach. In the meantime, Babcock contacted Leafs.

Looks like his plan all along was to use us to drive up his price (and it worked magnificently). Sullivan's article is actually pretty funny; he sounds really PO'ed and like he's just taking it out on everyone.

Well, most of us have been expecting Richardson since January. It just sucks to have the hot girl hanging on you -- only to make her boyfriend jealous.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love that hard working BN sports staff...crackerjack reporting there.

What kind of beer ya drinking tonight, Mikey?

What, repeating what real reporters say is not real reporting?

Someone else mentioned up thread Sully must be hoping for a buyout....I think this whole crew at the BN is...

I don't read Harrington very often, but he makes many strong points in this piece:

@BNHarrington

Repost of my column: Losing out on Babcock doesn't derail #Sabres rebuild. My message: Go get Bylsma. http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/05/20/instant-reaction-not-signing-babcock-isnt-a-huge-setback-to-sabres-rebuild/

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Pretty funny how these two stories are on top of each other on the News' website:

Sully: Babcock loss huge blow to Sabres

"This was a crushing blow for Pegula and Co. I'm not going to be phony about it."

Harrington: Losing Babcock is not big setback

"Woe is us? Woe, Sabres? ... What Sabres don't need is a guy who came here only for the money."

It would be cool if someone hacked Sullivan's computer and posted the article he had already written about how the Sabres were stupid for hiring Babcock and that a "name" isn't going to get them anywhere because he might not do well with a young roster....or some other BS.

Bylsma Highlights List of Sabres Coaching Candidates

Matthew Coller

3117626.jpg?1432182069

So no Babcock.

With Mike Babcock electing to become the head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Buffalo Sabres will now kick their coach search into top gear.

Considering they were a finalist for in the Babcock sweepstakes – one that turned into a LeBron James-esque “decision” – it makes sense to suggest that the Sabres’ brass would be interested in the next biggest name: Dan Bylsma.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I am disappointed the Sabres didn't get Babcock, but I am glad they didn't get him for that contract. Talk about setting a precedence for HC salaries! About 4 million more per year than any other coach, and 8 years is a very long time. So, I am happy Pegula didn't solidify his ownership reputation of just having deep pockets. Babcock is a very good coach, he probably was the best coach available, but he's not the best coach in the league. Top 10 definitely, but for that contact, no thanks. Bylsma would be a good hire, but they are in no hurry. Take some time and make a good decision.

Edited by ricojes

I am disappointed the Sabres didn't get Babcock, but I am glad they didn't get him for that contract. Talk about setting a precedence for HC salaries! About 4 million more per year than any other coach, and 8 years is a very long time. So, I am happy Pegula didn't solidify his ownership reputation of just having deep pockets. Babcock is a very good coach, he probably was the best coach available, but he's not the best coach in the league. Top 10 definitely, but for that contact, no thanks. Bylsma would be a good hire, but they are in no hurry. Take some time and make a good decision.

Devils advocate....what does it matter how much TPEGS pays his coach? No salary cap there, not our money, it's his....I want to have the highest paid coach on my team. Term does not matter to PEGS, if we wanted to move onto another coach he would do so.

I am not 100 % sure, or even 50% sure, but come a month from now he could be paying 4 HC salaries...Lindy, Rolston, Nolon.and new guy.

This would have been no big deal if the " Babcock to Buffalo is done" tweets etc had not started on Tuesday.

He will make TO better, but if it derails their rebuilding plan in the long run will hurt them I think.

I really think Dylsma or Julien would be the best coaches for the Sabres.

Bylsma is my #1 choice

CBF

Then perhaps you can learn to spell his name properly on the first try.

:lol:

B-)

As a Leafs fan I am happy that we got Babcock. However the leafs massively overpayed for a coach in a sport (unlike football) where I think coaching doesn't make a huge difference in wins and losses. I don't expect Babcock to magically fix the leafs. Leafs just need better players.

I think the Leafs needed a major shakeup by allowing Babcock to come in and get the contract and power to be the most powerful guy there.... although I think Shanahan is an uneducated fool. If they try to fast lane the rebuild too, this will just be another disaster.

The Sabres did/do not need the shakeup. They have direction. They need a good coach. Not a guy with an un-fireable long term contract and Co-GM powers. We have a great rebuild going on. I dont think its necessary to put all the eggs into one basket like that.

I think the Leafs needed a major shakeup by allowing Babcock to come in and get the contract and power to be the most powerful guy there.... although I think Shanahan is an uneducated fool. If they try to fast lane the rebuild too, this will just be another disaster.

The Sabres did/do not need the shakeup. They have direction. They need a good coach. Not a guy with an un-fireable long term contract and Co-GM powers. We have a great rebuild going on. I dont think its necessary to put all the eggs into one basket like that.

I think the Leafs still want to hire a GM. Leafs Nation who are IMO one of the worst fanbases in the sport and with the media will be going bonkers if it isn't a quick fix. The casual fanbase will think Babcock = playoffs next year. I don't think that will be the case unless there is a massive overhaul to the roster. I agree with you, with an 8 year contract no need to cut corners on a rebuild but I don't think the fanbase would entertain that. Hopefully Shannahan has the stones to be patient.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

"Crushing blow"? LOL! Sure Jerry

Devils advocate....what does it matter how much TPEGS pays his coach? No salary cap there, not our money, it's his....I want to have the highest paid coach on my team. Term does not matter to PEGS, if we wanted to move onto another coach he would do so.

I am not 100 % sure, or even 50% sure, but come a month from now he could be paying 4 HC salaries...Lindy, Rolston, Nolon.and new guy.

This would have been no big deal if the " Babcock to Buffalo is done" tweets etc had not started on Tuesday.

He will make TO better, but if it derails their rebuilding plan in the long run will hurt them I think.

It matters. rooster would be paid more than Ryan, which shouldn't happen.

"

It matters. rooster would be paid more than Ryan, which shouldn't happen.

But the Sabres had that$50M on the table..he just didn't take it. Rex got what he was worth in the market, as did Babcock.

I am like Howard Simon, so happy to be on this side of the fence for the first time in my fan existence. Our owner blows up the salary scale for coaches....awesome! Only wish this was pre salary cap era