Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It matters. rooster would be paid more than Ryan, which shouldn't happen.

what has Ryan done? Anywhere as a head coach?

Agree. Salaries are much lower in hockey for coaches because they don't mean as much in that sport.

I call BS.

If the Sabres had pulled off this deal it would have been a genius move by an owner willing to do whatever it takes to win a cup. Because the Leafs do it, it's dumb. A couple of days ago it was OMG OMG F5 F5 F5!!!

Edited by thebug

@bradyfan590: Told Tim Murray plans to extend invites for interviews to head coaches early next week. Nothing happening w/ #Sabres HC spot before then.

@bradyfan590

That said, Sabres watching Claude Julien/Bruins situation very carefully. If Bruins decide to move off Julien, Buffalo wants him, & badly.

I call BS.

If the Sabres had pulled off this deal it would have been a genius move by an owner willing to do whatever it takes to win a cup. Because the Leafs do it, it's dumb. A couple of days ago it was OMG OMG F5 F5 F5!!!

I'm a huge Sabres fan but unlike the NFL, I don't immerse myself in the comings and goings of the NHL as much so I had very little personal knowledge of the prospective HC candidates. Everyone was spoon-fed the notion that Babcock would be the 2nd Coming, but now that I've actually had a chance to read some articles and educate myself it's clear that there are a number of great candidates and he was simply the one with the highest profile. Dan Bylsma's resume outshines Babcock's.

We know the issue with Pegula is not money. He will spend what it takes to get what he wants. The reason Babcock did not choose Buffalo was about more than money -- I guarantee it.

I call BS.

My team, the Toronto Maple Leafs are the ones that just landed Babcock. Babcocks coaching won't make much of a difference with their current roster of players. A turnaround for the the Leafs will come in the form of a rebuild and getting better players.

Sabres will be fine without Babcock. Not a big deal.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Don't forget Babcock worked for the brightest front office in hockey during his tenure. Their drafting and ability to develop and acquire talent is legendary and what made Mike Babcock, not the other way around.

I would equate their front office and how they draft and develop players into winning teams to that of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

As a Bills and Leafs fan, it's odd having one foot in each fanbase. They are eerily similar, more than either city probably wants to admit. The Babcock/Leafs snark is exactly like the Rex/Bills snark. Neither team has won a championship since the 1960s. Neither team has really been any good since the early-mid 1990s. And yet both have insanely rabid fanbases that still show up no matter what.

My team, the Toronto Maple Leafs are the ones that just landed Babcock. Babcocks coaching won't make much of a difference with their current roster of players. A turnaround for the the Leafs will come in the form of a rebuild and getting better players.

Sabres will be fine without Babcock. Not a big deal.

Yes. players who will be held accountable from the start and will learn his system from the start. The fact that this is an 8 year contract (exit possible after 5) tells me they still plan to rebuild. I see them dumping a few more guys to add to the two 1st round picks they already have.

We know the issue with Pegula is not money. He will spend what it takes to get what he wants. The reason Babcock did not choose Buffalo was about more than money -- I guarantee it.

Absolutely. Babcock's already done everything there is to do as a coach. Part of the appeal of the Toronto job had to be the challenge of bringing winning hockey back to the center of the NHL universe. Much like when Theo Epstein left the Red Sox to go the Cubs.

Absolutely. Babcock's already done everything there is to do as a coach. Part of the appeal of the Toronto job had to be the challenge of bringing winning hockey back to the center of the NHL universe. Much like when Theo Epstein left the Red Sox to go the Cubs.

It might have something to do with being "the only game in town" in Toronto. In Buffalo football will always be king, despite also being a fantastic hockey city. I liken it to when Mack Brown left UNC as head football coach in the mid-late 90s to go to Texas. Even though he had built a top 10 program in Chapel Hill, he knew FB would always play 2nd fiddle to BB.

I'm a huge Sabres fan but unlike the NFL, I don't immerse myself in the comings and goings of the NHL as much so I had very little personal knowledge of the prospective HC candidates. Everyone was spoon-fed the notion that Babcock would be the 2nd Coming, but now that I've actually had a chance to read some articles and educate myself it's clear that there are a number of great candidates and he was simply the one with the highest profile. Dan Bylsma's resume outshines Babcock's.

Really?

Edited by thebug

Really?

There's a thread over on sabrespace that highlights Bylsma as a candidate and does a pretty thorough comparison of him vs. Babcock in the NHL. You should check it out.

There's a thread over on sabrespace that highlights Bylsma as a candidate and does a pretty thorough comparison of him vs. Babcock in the NHL. You should check it out.

That would make Bryan Bickell a more decorated hockey player than Sidney Crosby.

As a Bills and Leafs fan, it's odd having one foot in each fanbase. They are eerily similar, more than either city probably wants to admit. The Babcock/Leafs snark is exactly like the Rex/Bills snark. Neither team has won a championship since the 1960s. Neither team has really been any good since the early-mid 1990s. And yet both have insanely rabid fanbases that still show up no matter what.

At the very least this will re-ignite the Leafs/Sabres rivalry. I can imagine the reception Babcock will get his first game in Buffalo.