Church Shooting

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theoretically I agree with your points, especially since I lean about as left as you can go. They are nice thoughts.

But I think the world is vastly overpopulated (largely thanks to modern medicine and modern warfare), and we could stand to lose a couple billion people. Might as well start the trim-down with these folks. We are better off without him around. He's proven that much himself.

Some crimes are so heinous the perpetrator permanently forfeits his/her right to remain in society. And frankly I'm too cheap to want to pay taxes to keep their ass in jail until they die of natural causes.

Theoretically I agree with your points, especially since I lean about as left as you can go. They are nice thoughts.

But I think the world is vastly overpopulated (largely thanks to modern medicine and modern warfare), and we could stand to lose a couple billion people. Might as well start the trim-down with these folks. We are better off without him around. He's proven that much himself.

What if his actions are 100% due to a severe mental illness?

Who is better off without him around? I doubt his parents want him dead. Or his relatives. Maybe he has children. I doubt they'd want him dead.

Every person has the right to die on his own terms; not someone else's.

Just curious, what murders are not fueled by hate of some sort? As long as we keep segregating things in the media, law, our conversations, we are never going to make any progress on these race issues and never have true equality where race is seen on a level of having blond hair vs brown hair or blue eyes vs green eyes. Hate crime? Sure, hate against the HUMAN race.

Contract hits. Usually, that's just business.

And their death accomplishes what, exactly? It's not a deterrent. It doesn't bring anyone back. It doesn't undo any crimes. It's an "eye for an eye" mentality and simply another murder added to the ones that already occurred.

For me, the thing is that there are just some people who are far too damaged and predatory to keep around. Richard Ramirez and and John Gacy spring most immediately to mind (and Jeffrey Dahmer and Karla Homolka. And Charles Ng.)

But I don't think it should be treated as a deterrent (it doesn't work as a deterrent, frankly, except to the person executed) or as any sort of vengeance. Just a regrettable necessity, analogous to amputating a cancerous limb.

Who is better off without him around? I doubt his parents want him dead. Or his relatives. Maybe he has children. I doubt they'd want him dead.

Sorry, society has rules. Humanity has rules. He just broke nine of them.

If his parents want him around, they should have done a better job than to raise a murdering racist.

Everyone else. The entire planet.

Too bad more of these sub human monsters don't have the sack Tim Mcveigh had after his disgusting acts.

meaning waive the appeal process. And accept it.

There are certain circumstances IMO,where the death penalty is a neccassity. This is one of them. Will it deter

Future incidences like this? Nope.This douche was probably hoping for death by cop anyways. Then again

He gave up like the coward he is. And now the affected family's will have to live through his more than likely

Temporary insanity plea. There should be a fast track for these crimes.

For me, the thing is that there are just some people who are far too damaged and predatory to keep around. Richard Ramirez and and John Gacy spring most immediately to mind (and Jeffrey Dahmer and Karla Homolka. And Charles Ng.)

But I don't think it should be treated as a deterrent (it doesn't work as a deterrent, frankly, except to the person executed) or as any sort of vengeance. Just a regrettable necessity, analogous to amputating a cancerous limb.

I believe we have ways of permanently keeping these severely damaged individuals away from society without killing them. I actually think the death penalty might be preferable to guaranteed life in a Supermax facility. If severe punishment/vengeance is one's reason for implementing the death penalty---well, I'll simply say there are fates far worse than death.

But for the kind of criminals you cite, I can understand, and wouldn't object to, a capital punishment solution---if the process was transparent and fairly applied. Unfortunately the USA has a horrible record when it comes to administering the death penalty. It is hard for me to support the ultimate justice when the process itself is so unjust.

I get this. I really do. I was very pro-death penalty for many of my adult years. Getting softer (personally, I think smarter - with regard to this subject, anyway) with age, I guess. I agree that people reach the point of not being worth with keeping around. So remove them from society. Killing people against their will should never be the answer.

That said, I'm all for someone choosing death over prison and granting them their wish. I just don't think it should be someone else's choice. I get why others do. I used to. I just don't believe in it anymore.

Edited by Gugny

I get this. I really do. I was very pro-death penalty for many of my adult years. Getting softer (personally, I think smarter - with regard to this subject, anyway) with age, I guess. I agree that people reach the point of not being worth with keeping around. So remove them from society. Killing people against their will should never be the answer.

That said, I'm all for someone choosing death over prison and granting them their wish. I just don't think it should be someone else's choice. I get why others do. I used to. I just don't believe in it anymore.

What about the fact that they make the choice to commit the crime? To expose themselves to, in this case, Roof could have:

a) been shot by someone in the church.

b) been caught and shot by police

3) made the choice to take the life in a state which has the death penalty - a choice of first degree premeditated murder.

d) that he is too mentally ill to care and not in a mentally handicap way, more a mentally damaged way?

I'm not defending him or the death penalty. There are some truly twisted people out there and there always has been. We just hear about them more, their stories more sensationalized, celebrated and fueled by the media and 24/7 news stream. There are things available in this world that are more readily available then ever before and many will argue that as a cause for the situation we find ourselves in today with so many crimes. I can argue against it. There has always been hate, violence and intolerance. And, honestly, any little bit of it is too much.

It's a misconception that the death penalty is about deterrence. It's really about justice.

It's the reason why our society emphasize "fair and just" punishments for crime. If the purpose is to prevent crime, the severity has to be disproportionate to the act. (like Sharia Law)

What does that mean?

Killing someone who doesn't want to die is murder. 100% of the time.

I'd say murder also requires the intent to kill someone who doesn't pose an immediate threat to you or someone else. But in reality, the only difference between the death penalty and murder is that we don't call it murder when the state does it.

I'm stealing this.

Probably true for most serial killers who commit their murders over an extended period of time. But a mass murderer who kills multiple people in one act, can be acting out of hate.

Maybe we need a special category for a Love Crime? Not a Crime of Passion, but for committing crimes against people because you really love them.

a mass murder isn't a serial killer, unless we are talking about politicians of course.

Love crime lol. There is no need for special designation for crimes, if you commit murder you should get the death penalty, case closed.

He could avoid that charge by simply claiming that he identifies as black.

Theaters, churches, schools, marathons, army bases...

Another random terrorist attack.

well he could since now anyone can identify themselves as whatever they want whenever they want as often as they want. I'd like to be James Bond today

True.

But having the death penalty really detered this from happening. Isn't that how it is supposed to work?

I bet he was thinking: "I better not shoot up this church with a hate crime because they will give me the death penalty."

Oops.

it's not about deterrence, it's about justice.

Also if we had speedy trials with speedy executions a lot less people would commit homicide, but probably not this guy, but it will certainly deter him in the future. Nothing drives me more nuts when some scum bag get out of jail and kills or rapes again when these crimes would have been prevented if theywere executed as they should have been.

Takes far more resources to "finish him off," not to mention the whole "playing God," or state-sanctioned murder things.

It wouldn't take more resources if they didn't drag it for 20+ yrs.

A noose is very inexpensive

Killing someone who doesn't want to die is murder. 100% of the time.

not when they have a fair trial and it is justified, it's called punishment.

Don't worry the global elite are working on depopulation right now.

"Professor John Schellnhuber has been chosen as a speaker for the Vatican's rolling out of a Papal document on climate change. He's the professor who previously said the planet is overpopulated by at least six billion people. Now, the Vatican is giving him a platform which many expect will result in an official Church declaration in support of radical depopulation in the name of "climate science."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/050075_Vatican_climate_science_world_depopulation.html#ixzz3dUdEPHdp

The last ever public execution in the United States, 1936:

attachicon.gif1936LastEverPublicExecutionUSA_WEB.jpg

Quite a turn out!!!

Wonder if there was sports betting on it.

Probably true for most serial killers who commit their murders over an extended period of time. But a mass murderer who kills multiple people in one act, can be acting out of hate.

Maybe we need a special category for a Love Crime? Not a Crime of Passion, but for committing crimes against people because you really love them.

Mark David Chapman would fall into this category.