Church Shooting

Of course it didn't deter him but how many others does it deter? I think actually going through with the execution would help too.

Zero. To answer your question.

Second sentence: Yes, I agree. Now that we are in it, finish him off and save the resources.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zero. To answer your question.

Second sentence: Yes, I agree. Now that we are in it, finish him off and save the resources.

Takes far more resources to "finish him off," not to mention the whole "playing God," or state-sanctioned murder things.

It's a misconception that the death penalty is about deterrence. It's really about justice.

It's the reason why our society emphasize "fair and just" punishments for crime. If the purpose is to prevent crime, the severity has to be disproportionate to the act. (like Sharia Law)

Takes far more resources to "finish him off," not to mention the whole "playing God," or state-sanctioned murder things.

Only because of lengthy appeals and the fact that the justice system cant get out of its own way. In special cases like this and the Boston Bombing, where you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the person truly did it, they should have a fast-track to the chair.

True.

But having the death penalty really detered this from happening. Isn't that how it is supposed to work?

I bet he was thinking: "I better not shoot up this church with a hate crime because they will give me the death penalty."

Oops.

This is beyond deterrent. This is about cleaning the Earth of pond scum. And removing the potential that some skank will fall in love with this dirtbag down the road.

Only because of lengthy appeals and the fact that the justice system cant get out of its own way. In special cases like this and the Boston Bombing, where you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the person truly did it, they should have a fast-track to the chair.

And their death accomplishes what, exactly? It's not a deterrent. It doesn't bring anyone back. It doesn't undo any crimes. It's an "eye for an eye" mentality and simply another murder added to the ones that already occurred.

Not the way I would do it! /devil

This is beyond deterrent. This is about cleaning the Earth of pond scum. And removing the potential that some skank will fall in love with this dirtbag down the road.

Yeah. That too.

And their death accomplishes what, exactly? It's not a deterrent. It doesn't bring anyone back. It doesn't undo any crimes. It's an "eye for an eye" mentality and simply another murder added to the ones that already occurred.

I know you are the king of the waterslide/slippery slope... I see your ideals, but I don't buy into them in this case.

Pure and simple...You know he did it. Save the money, lawyers, resources, corrections, etc... And finish him off. You are causing far more harm for the good of your ideals by not. Your ideals are important and everything has to be taken in a case-by-case way.

Simple business model approach. We won't go down the slippery slope, trust me.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Not the way I would do it! /devil

Yeah. That too.

I know you are the king of the waterslide/slippery slope... I see your ideals, but I don't buy into them in this case.

Pure and simple...You know he did it. Save the money, lawyers, resources, corrections, etc... And finish him off. You are causing far more harm for the good of your ideals by not. Your ideals are important and everything has to be taken in a case-by-case way.

Simple business model approach. We won't go down the slippery slope, trust me.

So someone's life ending against his will is a business decision in the name of justice. I call it murder.

So someone's life ending against his will is a business decision in the name of justice. I call it murder.

Not all killing is murder. But you knew that.

He could avoid that charge by simply claiming that he identifies as black.

Theaters, churches, schools, marathons, army bases...

Another random terrorist attack.

These are truly scary times. The level & frequency of violence people in this country use to express themselves is alarming.

Killing someone who doesn't want to die is murder. 100% of the time.

Then we have a serious problem with the Commander in Chief throughout this country's history.

Just curious, what murders are not fueled by hate of some sort? As long as we keep segregating things in the media, law, our conversations, we are never going to make any progress on these race issues and never have true equality where race is seen on a level of having blond hair vs brown hair or blue eyes vs green eyes. Hate crime? Sure, hate against the HUMAN race.

I would say serial Killers don't kill because of hate, but they are different all together.

I would say serial Killers don't kill because of hate, but they are different all together.

Probably true for most serial killers who commit their murders over an extended period of time. But a mass murderer who kills multiple people in one act, can be acting out of hate.

Maybe we need a special category for a Love Crime? Not a Crime of Passion, but for committing crimes against people because you really love them.

Probably true for most serial killers who commit their murders over an extended period of time. But a mass murderer who kills multiple people in one act, can be acting out of hate.

Maybe we need a special category for a Love Crime? Not a Crime of Passion, but for committing crimes against people because you really love them.

We already have them. That's why murders have "degrees".

Theoretically I agree with your points, especially since I lean about as left as you can go. They are nice thoughts.

But I think the world is vastly overpopulated (largely thanks to modern medicine and modern warfare), and we could stand to lose a couple billion people. Might as well start the trim-down with these folks. We are better off without him around. He's proven that much himself.

Edited by DrDareustein