Church Shooting

True.

But having the death penalty really detered this from happening. Isn't that how it is supposed to work?

I bet he was thinking: "I better not shoot up this church with a hate crime because they will give me the death penalty."

Oops.

There are some valid anti-DP arguments but this is not one of them. Out of thousands of murders each year we execute how many? Of course it's not a deterrent if you know there's a 99% chance it'll never happen and for the 1% it's decades down the road.

Put guys like this in noose 3 days after the trial? You bet it'll be a deterrent.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised that this hasn't turned into a gun control debate.

Pretty good evidence that strict gun control laws prevent mass shootings.

"At some point, we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries. It doesn’t happen in other places with this kind of frequency.” - President Obama

And he is absolutely right. When will enough be enough??

There are some valid anti-DP arguments but this is not one of them. Out of thousands of murders each year we execute how many? Of course it's not a deterrent if you know there's a 99% chance it'll never happen and for the 1% it's decades down the road.

Put guys like this in noose 3 days after the trial? You bet it'll be a deterrent.

It almost seems like that is too easy for this spineless coward. I used to be anti-death penalty, but with DNA now, it's hard to screw things up now. The fact that Charles Manson is alive is the very reason every state should have the death penalty. If you take a human life (obviously there are exceptions), you should be erased from society.

This story is hard to talk about. Some loser who had no friends and couldn't get laid took lives in a church. He is a coward and a terrorist. If he did not own a gun, this does not happen. Guns make tough guys out of the biggest kitty cats. I pray there is hell for this piece of trash.

So after living in cities all my life and never feeling unsafe, I am considering getting a gun. Never once before did I ever feel the need to carry one. So congrats America. You might get another gun owner. What a beautiful society we have become. RIP to all those people and for them, I pray there is a heaven.

"At some point, we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries. It doesn’t happen in other places with this kind of frequency.” - President Obama

Of course, at some point we'll also have to reckon with the fact that having elected officials whose top priority is amassing political power even if that means creating or deepening huge wedges between segments of the population sometimes has very nasty side effects.

At what point will our leaders decide that the next election is less important than turning down the endless rancor.

It almost seems like that is too easy for this spineless coward.

I never really understood that argument either. DP is too good for him? So that means people want him punished more severely? Does that mean we can torture him first? No, I'm happy to show some compassion and end his life as quickly as possible.

Remember the pictures of Richard Speck in prison having a grand old time? Sure didn't look like he was suffering more than being put to death twenty years earlier.

Seems crazy to me that a guy who thinks the death penalty isn't a deterrent, wants to make guns more illegal, as a deterrent. Because we all know, that extra 10 years for an illegal firearm with make you stop and think when multiple life sentences or lethal injection won't.

I never really understood that argument either. DP is too good for him? So that means people want him punished more severely? Does that mean we can torture him first? No, I'm happy to show some compassion and end his life as quickly as possible.

Remember the pictures of Richard Speck in prison having a grand old time? Sure didn't look like he was suffering more than being put to death twenty years earlier.

You're probably right. The guy had nothing for going him anyways. He should have just killed himself a long time ago. Now, he is some hero for some new loser.

Love crime lol. There is no need for special designation for crimes, if you commit murder you should get the death penalty, case closed.

Thankfully, you don't get to make the rules. You do realize people are wrongfully convicted of murder, right? And if death becomes the automatic punishment for anyone found guilty of murder (pretty barbaric I think), don't you think the conviction rate will drop dramatically?

You're probably right. The guy had nothing for going him anyways. He should have just killed himself a long time ago. Now, he is some hero for some new loser.

He's being celebrated by more then one person. Racists are thinking of him as a martyr and plenty of other morons are heralding his actions as something good.

I have been mostly ambivalent about gun control. But I agree with Obama's sentiment-- maybe enough is enough?

Good article on stats re gun control and fewer mass shootings.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/18/11-essential-facts-about-guns-and-mass-shootings-in-the-united-states/

That's a pretty skewed article that conflates gun violence generally with mass shootings and in doing so fails to support its premise that mass killings are more common in the US.

He's being celebrated by more then one person. Racists are thinking of him as a martyr and plenty of other morons are heralding his actions as something good.

Shocking that racists would view a living person as a martyr.

I seriously don't know the answer and not sure if it's come out but how did he get his gun and would stricter gun laws have prevented it?

Shocking that racists would view a living person as a martyr.

ha, i'm tired. not a martyr.

a hero, i don't know. i've pulled 3 weeks of 100+ hrs a week and been in the 100 degee heat for almost all of it

I seriously don't know the answer and not sure if it's come out but how did he get his gun and would stricter gun laws have prevented it?

I don't know the answer either, but I wonder if he would have given up if he hadn't gotten a gun or if he might he have done something else. Like chaining the doors shut and setting the place on fire.

yup. and it's obviousy about racism in this country, too. it's impossible to logically ignore these massive societal problems but you can bet the house that many Americans will.

his father got him a 45cal handgun for his birthday. it's uncertain if that was the gun used. he sat in the church for an hour with the group, who welcomed him, before opening fire.

yup. and it's obviousy about racism in this country, too. it's impossible to logically ignore these massive societal problems but you can bet the house that many Americans will.

so because i don't swallow mass media i'm ignoring it? i don't give ignorance and violence the time of day.

I don't know the answer either, but I wonder if he would have given up if he hadn't gotten a gun or if he might he have done something else. Like chaining the doors shut and setting the place on fire.

Or toss a couple of homemade explosives, something very easy to do. This is the same old argument that will be rehashed time and again. There are many ways to kill lots of people congregated into small areas. If the USA is really having more difficulty with mass killings, maybe we should be looking into the reason random individuals are so willing to take the lives of others instead of the tool they use to do so. Since it's a much tougher question that doesn't fit the pop tart mentality, it will not be on anyone's radar.

And I agree with those that say this guy should be killed quickly when he is found guilty.

his father got him a 45cal handgun for his birthday. it's uncertain if that was the gun used. he sat in the church for an hour with the group, who welcomed him, before opening fire.

So what are the laws/rules about gifting a firearm?

Or toss a couple of homemade explosives, something very easy to do. This is the same old argument that will be rehashed time and again. There are many ways to kill lots of people congregated into small areas. If the USA is really having more difficulty with mass killings, maybe we should be looking into the reason random individuals are so willing to take the lives of others instead of the tool they use to do so. Since it's a much tougher question that doesn't fit the pop tart mentality, it will not be on anyone's radar.

And I agree with those that say this guy should be killed quickly when he is found guilty.

But...but...but....it doesn't happen in other countries. And since everyone knows the only difference between the US and other countries is the gun laws, that's the only thing we should talk about.

I just read on CNN that his father didn't give him the gun. They gave him money for Christmas and he bought a gun with it.