Church Shooting

So what are the laws/rules about gifting a firearm?

SC has no registration for firearms. His dad simply had to buy the gun, pass the background check and give it to his son. His son could not open carry the weapon, to my knowledge because he had no cwp. But, he could own the gun and fire it.

I just read on CNN that his father didn't give him the gun. They gave him money for Christmas and he bought a gun with it.

I see, it may change again. It was reported last night as I read it was gifted by the dad.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I agree with those that say this guy should be killed quickly when he is found guilty.

So ... we're angry because this guy killed people who had no desire to die ... so the answer is to kill him, whether or not he has the desire to die.

SC has no registration for firearms. His dad simply had to buy the gun, pass the background check and give it to his son. His son could not open carry the weapon, to my knowledge because he had no cwp. But, he could own the gun and fire it.

I did some looking around and that's what I came up with too. So who holds the permit? I assume dad? I would think that a gift is a change of ownership so the giftee should be required to get a permit and go through the normal background checks.

it's unlikely it was an coincidence that the murderer chose this church: http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2015/06/18/charleston-ame-church-history. the racist history surrounding it is quite disturbing. as one columnist noted today, it should also not escape notice that sc still flies the confederate flag above its state house.

Sure, he likely chose this church. He's a racist moron. But, because SC has the confederate jack in their flag makes you think that the state somehow excuses this behavior or encourages it? :wallbash:

I know I am an hour North of SC, but I cannot imagine the state en masse supports what happens and by all accounts those of public figure have all come down on this.

I did some looking around and that's what I came up with too. So who holds the permit? I assume dad? I would think that a gift is a change of ownership so the giftee should be required to get a permit and go through the normal background checks.

They don't do permits in SC.

Civil - Preponderance of the evidence

Criminal - Beyond a reasonable doubt

Death Penalty - 100% certain, no ifs ands or butts about it, this person did it.

The last one should be the law. This could, potentially, impact the extensive costs of all the appeals and drag outs that a lot of us are concerned about concerning the death penalty (not to mention the biggest issue, killing the wrong person). It has always amazed me that there isn't a higher standard for this than other criminal proceedings.

This looks to be one of those 100% certain cases at this time.

Edited by Mark80

Sure, he likely chose this church. He's a racist moron. But, because SC has the confederate jack in their flag makes you think that the state somehow excuses this behavior or encourages it? :wallbash:

I know I am an hour North of SC, but I cannot imagine the state en masse supports what happens and by all accounts those of public figure have all come down on this.

They don't do permits in SC.

i'm think it's likely neanderthals like this fool feel enabled by the presence of a state sanctioined flag widely interpreted by blacks as an oppressive symbol

Background checks?

Only to buy them. There are a ton of loopholes in states outside of NY, CA and the whole NE area. Gun shows, for example and simply gifting guns.

i'm think it's likely neanderthals like this fool feel enabled by the presence of a state sanctioined flag widely interpreted by blacks as an oppressive symbol

Neanderthals like this probably feel enabled because they turned on SpongeBob this morning and there was a green fish swimming by...

Honestly, if your ilk could not find enough to point at - the flag right now - you'll just find something else. Maybe that Charleston is near Ft Sumter and he went there recently. Or something about some jacket he wore about Apartheid. Or whatever else.

The kid was just warped. There is no excusing it or finger pointing toward some red herring drawn out by perpetuated media sensationalism.

Edited by jboyst62

So ... we're angry because this guy killed people who had no desire to die ... so the answer is to kill him, whether or not he has the desire to die.

Exactly.

Once he breaks the social contract by killing people for no reason his desires should become meaningless.

Exactly.

Once he breaks the social contract by killing people for no reason his desires should become meaningless.

His desire for freedom becomes meaningless; not his desire to live, in my opinion. Again ... I understand where you're coming from and I respect your views. I simply don't think any person should be able decide, for another person, when that person loses the right to live.

Of course you do. He was likely on the fence about committing mass murder until he likely remembered that the state flies a confederate flag and that likely sealed the decision, in all likelihood. If SC flew a different flag whether the jolly roger, ISIS, or the union jack, its unlikely this heinous crime ever occurs.

Edited by Jauronimo

I don't know what the weapon was that he used in this case, but I read a story that his father had just given him a .45 for his birthday....

I seriously don't know the answer and not sure if it's come out but how did he get his gun and would stricter gun laws have prevented it?

Yes, he shot up a church because other people interpret a symbol as oppressive.

Yes, he shot up a church because other people interpret a symbol as oppressive.

Likely.

If you're spit nonsense out of a certain orifice at least back it up with something authoritative like "clearly" or "obviously". Likely??? Grow a pair, already

The thing I don't get is, we can't talk guns... because guns aren't the problem, government overreach etc etc.

But when we talk healthcare, and getting everyone access to quality healthcare, which includes comprehensive mental healthcare, that's also government overreach.

So how do we come to a solution that "free market/small government" people support? Or is mass murder just part of "freedom"?

Only to buy them. There are a ton of loopholes in states outside of NY, CA and the whole NE area. Gun shows, for example and simply gifting guns.

Neanderthals like this probably feel enabled because they turned on SpongeBob this morning and there was a green fish swimming by...

Honestly, if your ilk could not find enough to point at - the flag right now - you'll just find something else. Maybe that Charleston is near Ft Sumter and he went there recently. Or something about some jacket he wore about Apartheid. Or whatever else.

The kid was just warped. There is no excusing it or finger pointing toward some red herring drawn out by perpetuated media sensationalism.

yeah. a green fish = a racist symbol. do you believe there are any legislators in sc that don't realize that a significant percentage of the populace find that symbol offensive? what do you imagine are the purposes of symbols? is this one meant to engender harmony? or does it say to many impressionables that it's ok to be racist?

Of course you do. He was likely on the fence about committing mass murder until he likely remembered that the state flies a confederate flag and that likely sealed the decision, in all likelihood. If SC flew a different flag whether the jolly roger, ISIS, or the union jack, its unlikely this heinous crime ever occurs.

he grew up in a culture where racism is common and often not condemned. i doubt he woke up one morning and decided it was time to become a racist and go to a church symbolic for it's stand on civil rights and murder innocent people. the culture is very likely a factor in the event.

I don't know the answer either, but I wonder if he would have given up if he hadn't gotten a gun or if he might he have done something else. Like chaining the doors shut and setting the place on fire.

You mean like the murdering racists used to do 50 years ago?

Likely.

If you're spit nonsense out of a certain orifice at least back it up with something authoritative like "clearly" or "obviously". Likely??? Grow a pair, already

likely is the appropriate word. it is not clearly or obviously.

likely is the appropriate word. it is not clearly or obviously.

Its not appropriate if......wait for it......it isn't likely. Concepts, or relationships in this instance, typically aren't likely when you pull them out of your a@#. When you suggest that this little monster was enabled by a confederate flag you have gone totally off the reservation. Nothing in the fact set suggests that the flag was a factor. Therefore, there is absolutely no reason to think that there is even the loosest of connection between what transpired in that Church and what flag is waving in the capitol, let alone actually enabled which suggests a significant influence. I believe that meets the criteria of completely unlikely. I believe you can just as easily argue that the bills 15 year playoff drought was an enabling factor given the absence of anything backing that theory.

Even the most superficial analysis of your premise reveals it to be total BS backed with nothing but your own liberal and convenient use of the word "likely". Deja vu.