Bills Teammates Rave about Tyrod Taylor

It cant all be attributed to one place or blamed on one place. Orton had his moments (even though you hate him). He completed over 64% of his passes, threw for over 3,000 yards, had 18 TDs to 10 INTs and an 87.8 rating. He was EXACTLY what they hoped he would be, a stable vet. If you extrapolate his number over a 16 game season you are looking at 4,024 yards 24 TDs and 13 INTs. That would have put him 12th in yards, 14th in TDs and 13th in completion percentage. If the Bills QBs rank at those exact spots league wide this year they will win the Super Bowl.

This has been the longest offseason ever!!!

Just to clarify my feelings on Orton (and they are very similar to Cassel). I LOVED Orton as a backup. I absolutely hated the idea of him as a starter. Before he started a game, I heard a DEnver sports host say that Orton was good between the 20s and struggled in the red zone. That's exactly what he did last year.

IMO, I think EJ could have been just as productive as Orton and may have improved as the season went on. Again, him and Tannehill had the same exact start to the 2014 season. But who the hell knows? And that was the killer about last season. We don't know as more about EJ, one way or the other. We don't have either Orton or Marrone (awesome!), so what was really accomplished? 9-7 has no bearing on this season.

My philosophy is very consistent. You should the high draft pick young QB get every chance to win the job over the passed around journeyman vet. Cassel and Orton are who they are at this point. Good solid careers, but who aren't going to elevate your team. I hate Johnny Football, but the Browns shoudl give him every chance to win the job over McCown.

So I never hated Orton. I just hated what he represented. And that has been Bills footbal football for the last 15 years. We have been a joke at developing QBs.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify my feelings on Orton (and they are very similar to Cassel). I LOVED Orton as a backup. I absolutely hated the idea of him as a starter. Before he started a game, I heard a DEnver sports host say that Orton was good between the 20s and struggled in the red zone. That's exactly what he did last year.

IMO, I think EJ could have been just as productive as Orton and may have improved as the season went on. Again, him and Tannehill had the same exact start to the 2014 season. But who the hell knows? And that was the killer about last season. We don't know as more about EJ, one way or the other. We don't have either Orton or Marrone (awesome!), so what was really accomplished? 9-7 has no bearing on this season.

My philosophy is very consistent. You should the high draft pick young QB get every chance to win the job over the passed around journeyman vet. Cassel and Orton are who they are at this point. Good solid careers, but who aren't going to elevate your team. I hate Johnny Football, but the Browns shoudl give him every chance to win the job over McCown.

So I never hated Orton. I just hated what he represented. And that has been Bills footbal football for the last 15 years. We have been a joke at developing QBs.

Could not agree more and posted very much the same thing in the EJ/press speculation thread. Last year was a complete waste at the QB position. Orton was not a long term answer and we wasted the opportunity to give EJ the experience necessary to make a determination on him. Now we are back in the same place. I blame Marrone mostly, but Whaley deserves some blame as well for caving on the issue. It seems to me that Whaley's plan was EJ or bust last year which is why only Lewis and Tuel we are on the roster as backups to begin camp. Marrone stomped his feet and got Orton, who he elevated to starter as soon as he could. Big mistake in my opinion.

You're also ignoring the minor tidbit that EJ apparently lost the confidence of his WRs after game four and I imagine that played greatly into Marrone's decision. I think it's a stretch to say that EJ would have turned his game around as the season wore on, because his game was getting progressively worse while the OL was not improving. Keeping EJ on the field would have been an even earlier career suicide for Marrone & EJ.

really? that's your rational?

I'd buy it in week 17, not week 12 - 15

If so Maron(e) fugged up by not realizing KO had called it quits and therefore KO was NOT the best option to win.

He should have been benched then released as soon as he slid short on 4th down against Denver.

The question why the issue with EJ. I stated mine and I think many others opinion, along with some facts to support that opinion.

RT averages 234 yards per game, 34 more than EJ. RT averages and always has a half yard more per throw. His TD to Int ratio even after his second year was a little better but not great. RT has over a 60% completion. RT has also improved every year, EJ slide back under the same coach.

Also, if EJ was a 2nd rounder people would be okay with him being the backup and giving him more time. He is in an odd situation making 1st round money and expected to live up to a first round pick. Not be a career backup. If he was a 2nd rounder most people would be okay with the time to develop and if he only became a backup so be it.

Again, he was rated by Scouts as the 6th best QB in a very bad draft class. I think half these guys are out of the league already.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/year/2013

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/ej-manuel-and-the-sunk-cost-fallacy-25e5dd1e3b79

year 1 tannehill averaged 205 ypg.

their career YPA are .34 yards apart

tannehill year 1 completion percentage -- 58, same as EJ

EJ better td:int their first two years (each year individually, and obviously collectively)

RT did progress each year, but was given more than 4 games to do so.

EJ signed a 4 year 8.8m contract. his salary this year is just 1.2m

his 2.2m average salary ranks him 38th among qb contracts (and second on his own team)

and of the top 6, we have EJ, Geno starting, glennon as a backup with starting experience, barkley and nassib both as backups and still with their original team, and tyler wilson as the only free agent.

other than that, i didnt notice anything i took much issue with.

I was interested until I saw that one of the two players cited was a linebacker. I know that we've lowered our level of expectations for "quarterback" expertise, but not that much. Let's wait for comments like this from Roman, etc.

Correct.

I am not sold on any of these guys. I do believe, my opinion, that MC probably gives us best chance to win now. But I don't discount any of the 3 to be able to step up. They all seem to have certain things they do well or sell that should make them viable. EJ has all of the physical side wrapped up, MC has experience and a few proven seasons in past, TT has all of the athletic capability. However, they all have huge question marks around them. EJ and his ability to see the field and make accurate throws, MC on his up and don and never a consistent QB plus his age, TT on his size and accuracy. Personally I wish we'd have gotten Bradford from the Rams. He's got injury problems, but if we could have protected him, would have been, IMO, the best choice.

While that may have been true last year, I think that the now older and wiser Manuel gives the Bills just as good of a chance as Cassel. Cutting to the chase, Cassel doesn't have that big, fast mobile QB x-factor that Manuel provides. Is Cassel slightly more accurate? Sure, but Manuel will force the opposing defense to defend the whole field plus the QB in red zone situations if Manuel does indeed have trust from his coaches and in himself to start using his legs with semi-regularity and with success. The Bills were a joke in the red zone whether it was with Manuel or with Orton. IMO the red zone issues don't change that much with Cassel in there and the record isn't any better with him either.

As for Taylor, I see him as a real wild card and if he's the surprise winner then I'm all in because like EJ, he would provide that x-factor in the red zone. The Bills offense will be scary if either Manuel or Taylor becomes a successful running threat to go along with being at least an average NFL passing QB.

The Bills need to see what they have in either Manuel or Taylor this year because IMO there will be at least two and maybe even three big QB names available next year through trade or free agency. Wilson, E. Manning, Brees, Kaepernick, RGIII are QBs who their current teams may move on from given how crazy the salary cap comes into play and whether a teams just wants to move on with that 20 million in their pocket to rebuild with a younger guy. Let's first see if the guy is here already.

I usually agree with this....

however

I dont agree with it if you think you have a legit window of opportunity. This defense is biult to win now. We have to capitalize on that.

however

I dont agree with it if you think you have a legit window of opportunity. This defense is biult to win now. We have to capitalize on that.

did you think that orton made us a legit contender to win the Super Bowl? if taking advantage of that window with the backup is for a wild card run, i get that once your in you never know, but....

I was interested until I saw that one of the two players cited was a linebacker. I know that we've lowered our level of expectations for "quarterback" expertise, but not that much. Let's wait for comments like this from Roman, etc.

Don't you think the title would be 'Bills Coaches Rave about Tyrod' instead of teammates if it was comments from Roman?

however

IMO, guys like Orton or Cassel aren't many a ton of difference either way. I really don't think the dropoff between Cassel to Manuel (and possibly Taylor, he has never really in the NFL) is significant at all. Orton, most likely, would have been 2-2 to start the season and potentially quit after some of those Watt hits.

There is talk that Cassel is the safe choice but he has thrown more ints than tds his last 4 years. His completion % is less than a point higher than EJ's for their career.

Again, just my opinion, but the coaches shoudl give Manuel and Taylor every opportunity to win this job. Cassel is the steady vet guy who would be a great backup/ mentor. But we have a long way to go. But playing guys like Holcomb or Orton only get you so far.

So Taylor never made it to 60% completion rate in any season in college while EJ never went below 65%.

I'm rooting for all three to perform well, but the only good news to come out of camp is EJ winning the job. Ryan has set it up where perception will be right that he earned it, and if he is the #2 he can save face and not be the starter who lost it. Obviously I don't think the decision has been made and it will be based on performance in camp, but the chances of being lead deep in the playoffs by:

1) Fitzpatrick Orton Cassel, a career meh who is older and has the profile of a backup.

2) The inaccurate in college too small, 6th rounder on his second team who has 29 pass attempts in the last four years.

3) The all the tools level headed 1st rounder who might not have gotten a fair chance under poor coaching, but needs to overcome some inconsistent decision making and accuracy questions from shown in his first 15 NFL games.

I think if you are a Bills fan you really have to hope that #3 is what happens, and while you root for the other two guys to perform, their ceilings are so low that winning with them would take a really best case scenario.

I'm not saying EJ has anything locked up, but he is definitely the horse we should all be backing in June, and very disappointed if he can't improve enough to beat those two guys out in August.

Putting aside Cassel's one year starting in NE, his overall career completion %, YPA, and INT% are all worse than EJ's, without the physical upside or hope that he is young enough to get better. The sooner he seizes the reins, Cassel grabs the clipboard, and the other two stop getting reps, the better chance this team has to be something special, and if he cannot, god help us all since the rest of the team will be solid enough to prevent us from getting a top QB in the 2016 draft either.

So Taylor never made it to 60% completion rate in any season in college while EJ never went below 65%.

I'm rooting for all three to perform well, but the only good news to come out of camp is EJ winning the job. Ryan has set it up where perception will be right that he earned it, and if he is the #2 he can save face and not be the starter who lost it. Obviously I don't think the decision has been made and it will be based on performance in camp, but the chances of being lead deep in the playoffs by:

1) Fitzpatrick Orton Cassel, a career meh who is older and has the profile of a backup.

2) The inaccurate in college too small, 6th rounder on his second team who has 29 pass attempts in the last four years.

3) The all the tools level headed 1st rounder who might not have gotten a fair chance under poor coaching, but needs to overcome some inconsistent decision making and accuracy questions from shown in his first 15 NFL games.

I think if you are a Bills fan you really have to hope that #3 is what happens, and while you root for the other two guys to perform, their ceilings are so low that winning with them would take a really best case scenario.

I'm not saying EJ has anything locked up, but he is definitely the horse we should all be backing in June, and very disappointed if he can't improve enough to beat those two guys out in August.

Putting aside Cassel's one year starting in NE, his overall career completion %, YPA, and INT% are all worse than EJ's, without the physical upside or hope that he is young enough to get better. The sooner he seizes the reins, Cassel grabs the clipboard, and the other two stop getting reps, the better chance this team has to be something special, and if he cannot, god help us all since the rest of the team will be solid enough to prevent us from getting a top QB in the 2016 draft either.

2 questions for you.

To your point #2, how many attempts do you think EJ would have gotten over the past 4 years if he was in Baltimore?

And as a true Bills fan, I hope either (or both) of the young guys steps up and becomes successful. EJ and Tyrod are practically the same age, why is EJ's success better for the Bills than Tyrod's? They are both on the team now regardless of when and what they were acquired for.

1. Cassel and EJ are same size they are both 6-4. EJ is more athletic. But your size comparison is wrong.

2. Cassel is slightly better career wise on completion %, so strike 2.

3. Cassel has 96 tds vs 70 ints. EJ is 16 Tds vs 12 ints. Cassel has a better TD to INt ration of 1.37 vs 1.33 - Again you;re wrong.

4. Cassel is 6.6 YPA vs 6.4 for EJ. Again you're wrong.

While the hope is one of the younger wins, you are off on all of your actual facts.

Try again with real facts to support your cause. Just because you say it on the internet doesn't make it true.

really? that's your rational?

I'd buy it in week 17, not week 12 - 15

If so Maron(e) fugged up by not realizing KO had called it quits and therefore KO was NOT the best option to win.

You really don't think about halfway through the year he decided that it would be his last? He was already retired when they brought him back. It isn't even a little stretch to believe that. Guys always know when it is time. The bye week followed by KC and Miami losses is probably when he knew that this was it.

If Tyrod could be a starting QB why didn't the Ravens showcase him in a few games and trade him for a high draft pick or player?

Kubiak was his OC , then went to Denver where Peyton has to retire at some point. He has a very modest contract here 3 years for $3.35m http://www.spotrac.c...s/tyrod-taylor/

Kubiak or the Ravens could have way over bid that offer if Tyrod was the real deal. I hope he is , but so far it doesn't add up.

Everyone raved how great a QB , Rob Johnson was ( in practice )

Trent Edwards was a training camp hall of famer

I believe This is conditioning for the weak. Start preparing for a change.

What's next? labeling Nigel and Jackson trolls?

Typical....

Imo

Edited by Leroi

You really don't think about halfway through the year he decided that it would be his last? He was already retired when they brought him back. It isn't even a little stretch to believe that. Guys always know when it is time. The bye week followed by KC and Miami losses is probably when he knew that this was it.

this is a 2 way street that points to one conclusion that I have made before.

If he gave up say in week 10 WHY did Marone not see this? How could you think a quitter was your best chance to win?

If he didn't give up I can still I point to the KC and Miami losses as his failures as much as Marone's. Ergo that is when EJ should have been put back in for the betterment of the team. If he had done so, many of us could then pass a fair assessment of EJ and then a majority of the daily back and forth would be at an end.

playing with a quitter vs playing with a guy we need to know sooner than later if he's truly capable.

lose lose situation Hell, I don't doubt that Moron quit early in the season. What better way to :censored: the team than keep EJ on the sidelines.

You, me, the team and ALL of Bills Nation got screwed.

now let me tell you how I really feel.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

this is a 2 way street that points to one conclusion that I have made before.

If he gave up say in week 10 WHY did Marone not see this? How could you think a quitter was your best chance to win?

If he didn't give up I can still I point to the KC and Miami losses as his failures as much as Marone's.

playing with a quitter vs playing with a guy we need to know sooner than later if he's truly capable.

lose lose situation Hell, I don't doubt that Moron quit early in the season. What better way to :censored: the team than keep EJ on the sidelines.

You, me, the team and ALL of Bills Nation got screwed.

now let me tell you how I really feel.

Moron and Orton obviously made a pact to both quit during the bye week

He should have been benched then released as soon as he slid short on 4th down against Denver.

:thumbsup: damn straight

did you think that orton made us a legit contender to win the Super Bowl? if taking advantage of that window with the backup is for a wild card run, i get that once your in you never know, but....

ROTFLMAO

you used Orton and legit contender in one sentence?!?!?!?!?!?!?

PIP

If Tyrod could be a starting QB why didn't the Ravens showcase him in a few games and trade him for a high draft pick or player?

Kubiak was his OC , then went to Denver where Peyton has to retire at some point. He has a very modest contract here 3 years for $3.35m http://www.spotrac.c...s/tyrod-taylor/

Kubiak or the Ravens could have way over bid that offer if Tyrod was the real deal. I hope he is , but so far it doesn't add up.

Everyone raved how great a QB , Rob Johnson was ( in practice )

Pretty well documented that Flacco would never allow it. Insisted the coaches never let TT play with the #1's in a game (reg season or pre) or practice. Team TT and the #2's beat Team Flacco and the #1's in practice often.

Tyrod wanted a chance to start THIS year - that is also well documented - Tyrod says it in every interview. Not happening in Denver or Baltimore. How people lose sight of this so easily is mind boggling.

Tyrod was all but undefeated in Pre-season, FWIW. Preseason =/= practice.

Funny how the MOST RECENT DATA is that the players (Graham, Nigel, Freddy) and coaches (Kubiak, Rex, Lee) are saying TT is the real deal now yet we bring up Ravens and VT data. Still a long way to go but glass half full makes me feel like TT might be the steal of the offseason. All made possible because he is quietly confident, paid his dues, shut up in Balt and learned and was now ready to show the world he was a starter - $$ be damned.

If I'm wrong I'll go quietly, peacefully.

But if I'm right ... Lenny ... you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters .... errrrr.... I mean the media won't be able to lay off that story and the City of Buffalo will fall in love with TT.

Edited by moshermw

Pretty well documented that Flacco would never allow it. Insisted the coaches never let TT play with the #1's in a game (reg season or pre) or practice. Team TT and the #2's beat Team Flacco and the #1's in practice often.

Tyrod wanted a chance to start THIS year - that is also well documented - Tyrod says it in every interview. Not happening in Denver or Baltimore. How people lose sight of this so easily is mind boggling.

Funny how the MOST RECENT DATA is that the players (Graham, Nigel, Freddy) and coaches (Kubiak, Rex, Lee) are saying TT is the real deal now yet we bring up Ravens and VT data. Still a long way to go but glass half full makes me feel like TT might be the steal of the offseason. All made possible because he is quietly confident, paid his dues, shut up in Balt and learned and was now ready to show the world he was a starter - $$ be damned.

But if I'm right ... Lenny ... you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters .... errrrr.... I mean the media won't be able to lay off that story and the City of Buffalo will fall in love with TT.

Check this fade:

https://vine.co/v/ehVZ7VBPUXB

It's still WAY too early to know who will start at QB for Buffalo, but two Bills players specifically mentioned Tyrod Taylor by name on Tuesday: http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1551621-bills-players-rave-about-qb-tyrod-taylor

If Taylor is accurate, as Nigel Bradham mentioned, that'd put him ahead of Manuel and Cassel for me. Hope he's as good as Bradham and Jackson said at training camp.

I don't care who our QB is, I just want them to be good. However, I would think this article and thread are misleading. I didn't get that either player was "raving" about Taylor. In fact, Fred Jackson just said the same thing everyone already knows about him, he's athletic. Nothing new there. Bradham said he's been accurate which is a good thing, so happy to see that. Just again, it was a one line quote, I don't know that qualifies as raving. And it doesn't mean the other QBs haven't been accurate or good, they asked him about Taylor and he gave the kid a compliment. So I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves here and jump to a bunch of conclusions just yet.

What I do know is that this is going to be a very interesting QB battle at camp. 3 QB's who are different and intriguing in different ways.

I really do hope you are right. All Bills fans would be celebrating if Tyrod is the real deal.

What concerns me a bit , is our WRs are not yet praising EJ's progress if there is some, or did I miss that breaking news ?

I don't care who our QB is, I just want them to be good. However, I would think this article and thread are misleading. I didn't get that either player was "raving" about Taylor. In fact, Fred Jackson just said the same thing everyone already knows about him, he's athletic. Nothing new there. Bradham said he's been accurate which is a good thing, so happy to see that. Just again, it was a one line quote, I don't know that qualifies as raving. And it doesn't mean the other QBs haven't been accurate or good, they asked him about Taylor and he gave the kid a compliment. So I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves here and jump to a bunch of conclusions just yet.

What I do know is that this is going to be a very interesting QB battle at camp. 3 QB's who are different and intriguing in different ways.

here's the tweet:

#Bills LB Nigel Bradham on QB's: Tyrod Taylor has been great. He's been accurate and he's elusive.

It says Nigel Bradham on QB's. So did you hear the interview and the tweet is misleading, or was he not specifically asked about Tyrod? The way the tweet is presented makes it seems like he was asked if he had anything to say about any of the QB's and he only spoke about Taylor. I'd really like to hear the actual interview.

Ya know... Big, north-south, short yardage QB, and small, quick, water bug type skatQB who you need to get into open space... C'mon guys, learn X's and O's, duh :-)

Tyrod is 6'1" 210lbs. Hardly scatback, waterbug. He is fast 4.4 and labeled as quick which is different than fast. EJ is fast especially for a big man but I would not say he is quick. Cassel is none of the above.

Tyrod is 6'1" 210lbs. Hardly scatback, waterbug. He is fast 4.4 and labeled as quick which is different than fast. EJ is fast especially for a big man but I would not say he is quick. Cassel is none of the above.

About the same size as RGIII for those that want a visual.

I'm biased because I haven't seen Tyrod Taylor play much in the NFL. So internally I want to hope that he is that new shiny diamond in the rough QB who will finally come in and take care of business for the Bills. I definitely recognize the chances of that are slim.

On the other hand, I'm also not obtuse enough to believe that just because EJ Manuel was a first round pick and was forced into NFL action early, he is inherently a better QB than Taylor. If a team like the Ravens had drafted Manuel, he would have rode the bench behind a quality starter like Flacco, just like Taylor. Of course I hope EJ will improve drastically somehow. He needs to in order to be an NFL quality QB. I'm pretty doubtful from what I've seen of him. Hope he proves me wrong, or we move on and find a measure of success in Cassel or Taylor. The one thing I don't want to see happen is "Let's just give EJ 16 full games, in a row, do overs in place until he completes his 6th NFL season" Need to find a QB that can manage a competent offense. The defense is world class now, and we need to win now.

About the same size as RGIII for those that want a visual.

No. Tyrod is thicker and much more solid and durable than RGIII.

Dude is the second from the right .....beast ... no homo.

Tyrod Taylor Trains With Colin Kaepernick
The Ravens quarterback has worked out with the 49ers quarterback this offseason in Miami.
08_TyrodWorksWithKap_news.jpg

Backup quarterback Tyrod Tayloricon-article-link.gif has been working with one of the NFL’s rising stars this offseason to help take his game to the next level.

Taylor has spent some of his offseason training in Miami with a number of NFL players, including San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Taylor posted a photo of them on Instagram after a recent workout, and a video from 49ers.com showed Taylor working with Kaepernick at the popular Bommarito Performance Systems. Cornerback Jimmy Smithicon-article-link.gif was also in one of the workouts.

“This is a big year for me, so I’m just trying to showcase what I can do each and every day,” Taylor said during a recent interview.

Taylor entered this offseason looking to put himself in a position to capitalize in the final year of his rookie contract. He has played sparingly during his first three seasons, and the Ravens plan to bring in additional quarterback competition during training camp.

As part of his training regimen, Taylor has bulked up during the offseason. He said that he currently weighs 214 pounds, and that he has focused some of his training on adding upper body strength.

“I wanted to put on a couple more pounds,” Taylor said. “I felt like I was a little light at the end of last year.”

Edited by moshermw

I don't think those "NFL rising stars" would've allowed Tyrod to work out with them unless he was a good QB.

The only question is where was EJ's invite? Burn.

If he was invited, he probably couldn't make it since he worked for four months with Steve DeBerg and then Hogan in NJ.