Bills Teammates Rave about Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're right about people being upset he was taken in the 1st round. Two points on that though....first is, not his fault where he was taken. I mean if the guy had a great draft process then credit to him because by all accounts, he was a project and that has been confirmed so far. Second, the Bills did trade down and get extra picks before getting him at 16.

Also, we weren't there in the interview process so hard to confirm or not confirm what was said about EJ. What we do know is that a head coach was brought in who loves to run the ball and play D. An OC was brought in that has had previous success with a guy similar to EJ's skillset. EJ flourishes with a solid run game that he can use play action from and look over defenses, making throws downfield. The fact is, they made an effort to bring a system in that fits their former first round pick's strengths.

Cassell is a journeyman and solid if needed to play. This is Tyrod Taylor's shot and he'll give it his all no doubt over the next few months. Make no mistake though, this is about EJ developing into the player they want him to be and have to think a lot of people at One Bills Drive want and believe in this.

I agree with everything you say. Just to add, not saying it was his fault that he got drafted where he is. My point is fans and the GM are using it as a reason to keep EJ in as the starter and wanting to put him and over value his worth to the organization. Again the hope is EJ steps up, but all indications are that he isn't capable to this point. Having an open mind towards our options is what is needed for fans. It doesn't have to be all EJ or nothing. Or all TT or nothing. Or all MC or nothing. How about we get the guy on field who can best run the offense and win now. Not develop a guy for 5 years and let the ship age and sink around him.

Edited by VABills

I don't know what can be taken from this without some context.

Bradham: TT has been great. He's been accurate and he's elusive.

Taylor: ...probably the most athletic QB in the league.

Who knows? Maybe they were actually raving about him....but maybe they were simply answering questions and these specific parts were taken to create an interesting narative for an article.

I agree. We already knew TT was athletic, Freddy confirming it means nothing.

Bradham saying TT has been "accurate" is reassuring because TT hasn't been noted for accuracy thus far in his career.

But one guy calling him "accurate" doesn't put my worries to rest.

I really don't care who QBs the Bills. Listening to Rex and his coaches, it sounds like it truly is an open competition. May the best man win.

Lets wait to see what they look like with pads on. Everyone is a superstar in shorts

Obviously, you've never seen me in shorts.

Cassel starts, Tyrod for a change of pace. Simms to the clipboard. Manuel to the curb.

My belief.

I really don't think Cassel starts. He just can't physically do some of the things Roman wants to run. I said this a few times but I was talking to a current Bill a few months ago at a birthday party & he could not stop talking about how Ryan & Roman love Taylor. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he was their starter.

I agree with everything you say. Just to add, not saying it was his fault that he got drafted where he is. My point is fans and the GM are using it as a reason to keep EJ in as the starter and wanting to put him and over value his worth to the organization. Again the hope is EJ steps up, but all indications are that he isn't capable to this point. Having an open mind towards our options is what is needed for fans. It doesn't have to be all EJ or nothing. Or all TT or nothing. Or all MC or nothing. How about we get the guy on field who can best run the offense and win now. Not develop a guy for 5 years and let the ship age and sink around him.

please prove this outlandish statement!!!!!

and you have the gall to follow up with Having an open mind towards our options???

:doh:

Having an open mind towards our options is what is needed for fans. It doesn't have to be all EJ or nothing. Or all TT or nothing. Or all MC or nothing. How about we get the guy on field who can best run the offense and win now.

This part sums up my exact feelings. I really don't care which one it is as long as it is the guy that the coaches feel gives them the best chance to win.

This part sums up my exact feelings. I really don't care which one it is as long as it is the guy that the coaches feel gives them the best chance to win.

Wasn't that Marrone's rationale for starting and keep playing Orton?

It never works bringing in a backup QB during the game to keep defense off balance...Jets tried with Tebow and Vick with horrible results.

Seems a bit like a second tier college program, no?

I agree, Nucci, no history of success at the pro level and yes, NS, only in college -To Date!

I think the League is staring at a dilemma they haven't had to deal with before. 'Where are the next generation of great QBs'?

The small handful of great QBs playing today are on the far side of 35 -sans Rodgers, who's close. The next handful of good QB's all seem to have the tag 'Good, but..' Rivers -Good, But.., Flacco -Good, But.., Matty Ice -Good, But.., Eli -Good, But.. The rest of the League (maybe as high as 16 teams) are wallowing in a mire of Maybe, But.. We've discussed at length some of the possible reasons -different offenses in HS & College, scheme fits, etc. only Luck shows possible HOF criteria in any QB drafted in the last decade, IMO. I don't recall a point in history where this was the case.

So how do 'the other' teams make up for not having a Kelly, Marino, Montana? Answer; Any way they can. Just because there's no history of success at platooning QB's, doesn't mean it won't work. All the other 21 positions rotate and play calling QBs died when Jimbo retired.

Desperation tactic? Absolutely. Too much talent across the board to see it all wash away because we don't have a HOFer under center. Anything we can do to overcome a poor game day showing from a 'Good/Maybe, But..' QB should be tried. Now, more than ever.

IMO

yes but that sound statement was surrounded by contradicting statements.

If you have a decent QB, there is nothing wrong with keeping a #2 for 5 seasons.

case in point Frank Reich

TT is going to look good running around like a chicken with his head cut off now but wait until the pads come on. You don't want a QB that is running around too much and taking hits. I think his style works for practice or for Madden but wait until the games begin and defenses start tee'ing off on him. I would rather have an accurate QB that gets the ball in the receiver's hands and let them make the play. We don't need the QB to be making the plays when we have all of these offensive weapons

Oh please. If EJ was a 2nd rounder, people won't be burying him after 2 years. His rookie stats were basically Tannehill's rookie year stats. Also, through 4 games this year, EJ hadthe same #s as RT. If EJ was a 2nd rounder, they would have given him more time to develop.

And it's the OTAs. Manuel was the far superior product coming out of college to Taylor. Taylor is talked about as a poor man's Vick. I'm not sure that works in today's NFL. We'll see but making snap judgments either way on OTAs or reports out of them is silly.

Your loyalty to Manuel is comendable but my guess is you never watched Manuel play in college. Better yet watch the offense FSU ran with Manuel then watch the offense a year later that FSU ran with Winston. Once you watch that you will see how little faith Fisher actually had in Manuel compared to Winston. Look EJ seems like a good kid, but his shortcomings in the NFL are the same shortcomings that he had in college & what is more concerning is I believe some of these shortcomings are not correctable such as accuracy.

I honestly hope Manuel shines & he is the QB of the future for years to come but I just don't see that happening.

Early though it may be, it's definitely a good sign to see Freddy and Nigel raving about him publicly like this. Winning the confidence of teammates is a critical part of becoming a successful QB. Yes, until he sees live fire this is all very preliminary, but there's no other way to take this but positive. The ideal scenario to play out in camp/preseason would be finding a clear starter that separates from the pack, not anointed by draft position, years of experience or raw potential.

Tyrod seems to be doing all the right things thus far.

Your loyalty to Manuel is comendable but my guess is you never watched Manuel play in college. Better yet watch the offense FSU ran with Manuel then watch the offense a year later that FSU ran with Winston. Once you watch that you will see how little faith Fisher actually had in Manuel compared to Winston. Look EJ seems like a good kid, but his shortcomings in the NFL are the same shortcomings that he had in college & what is more concerning is I believe some of these shortcomings are not correctable such as accuracy.

I honestly hope Manuel shines & he is the QB of the future for years to come but I just don't see that happening.

Well, that's your opinion. And it's really not about loyalty. It's about running out QBs after 2 years. It's dumb. And I'm not throwing a 25 year old away because of Hackett/ Marrone. If Roman doesn't think he can cut it, then by all means, move on.

yes but that sound statement was surrounded by contradicting statements.

If you have a decent QB, there is nothing wrong with keeping a #2 for 5 seasons.

case in point Frank Reich

That is why I deleted everything else in the post and broke it down to that one statement. That one part is right IMO.

Yeah and they won 9 games for the first time in over a decade. I am good with whoever they start.

In fairness, they won 9 games in spite of their offense and because of their DST.

I love Ryan but his offense have been a major question mark. Hopefully, Roman will take it to another level but he still has to prove in on his own. That said, it's a huge step up from our previous offensive coaching staff.

You do realize that these two back to back sentences are completely opposite to each other? You clearly aren't being "open minded" if you think that all indications are that EJ is incapable of stepping up. That statement was so biased.

It sounds like you are squarely in the "all MC or nothing" group to me.