Panthers sign Cam Newton through 2020

@RapSheet: Sources: The Cam Newton mega-extension being finalized with the #Panthers right now is expected to be 5 years, more than $100M.

Wow that's some money. Most of his stats have gone down since his Rookie year. I would follow with I don't know much about Carolina so maybe he has little help?

Wow that's some money. Most of his stats have gone down since his Rookie year. I would follow with I don't know much about Carolina so maybe he has little help?

He has not had a stellar cast around him, that is for sure. I do think he is definitely a top 8 QB.

Newton loved the Tannehill deal.

He has not had a stellar cast around him, that is for sure. I do think he is definitely a top 8 QB.

Seriously? I get about 12 QB's into my rankings before he can even be argued.

He needs help with weapons. He had a sophomore slump, but played well his third year when they went 12-4. Last year was hard given their defensive losses. They did beat the Cardinals in the playoffs.

The going rate for a starting QB seems to be in the $20 million range. I think this was a little high, but for the people who keep wishing we pick up a franchise AB IN FREE AGENCY, just accept that almost at never ever happens.

Newton loved the Tannehill deal.

Seriously? I get about 12 QB's into my rankings before he can even be argued.

He is pretty great... Brady, Brees, Manning, Roetlisberger, Luck, Romo, Eli, Rogers and Wilson are the only ones I might consider over him...and at least 5 of them are nearing the end of their careers. He really hasn't had much to work with... when he had Steve Smith, that is all he had...now he has Benjamin, and not much else. Very overrated set of running backs.... mediocre o-line....he can make every throw, and can run the ball very effectively (though the injuries might be starting to catch up). Two playoff appearances in four years on teams with good-decent defenses, and enemic on offense...he carried the Panthers those years as much as any QB had in recent years.

Aaron Rodgers, Ben roethlisberger, Andrew luck, Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson, tony Romo, drew Breeds, tom Brady, matt Ryan, joe flacco. for sure better. Even if a different system qb or style.

Jay cutler, Andy Dalton, Colin kaepernick, cam newton... all about the same.

Imagine ej Manuel with a better arm and more likely to run. Newton can't thread a needle, see the field and most importantly play QB. He propensity to run is a liability and it damages him. He needs to move the ball thru he air 8-12 yards instead of on the ground. He doesn't throw those passes because he can't make those passes. He makes highlights airing it out and you never see the ones sailing wildly by the WR. That's why they drafted Benjamin to haul them in and that's why Avant bad mouthed the team and Cam then was cut. Newton is a very good QB and would be our best since Bledsoe, but he is not a great QB just a great football player

$100mm is about right for 5 years because in 3-4 years it'll be restructured to another 4-5 yr deal

@ESPNStatsInfo: Newtons best seasons based on QBR rank: 2012 and 2013. He was 14th among qualified QBs each season (19th in 2014) https://t.co/N8e8MlkH6L

Yeah...sometimes stats don't tell the whole story, especially with QB's. People will always say Roethlisberger is overrated, basing it on stats..but if you watch him play you come away much more impressed.

Aaron Rodgers, Ben roethlisberger, Andrew luck, Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson, tony Romo, drew Breeds, tom Brady, matt Ryan, joe flacco. for sure better. Even if a different system qb or style.

Imagine ej Manuel with a better arm and more likely to run. Newton can't thread a needle, see the field and most importantly play QB. He propensity to run is a liability and it damages him. He needs to move the ball thru he air 8-12 yards instead of on the ground. He doesn't throw those passes because he can't make those passes. He makes highlights airing it out and you never see the ones sailing wildly by the WR. That's why they drafted Benjamin to haul them in and that's why Avant bad mouthed the team and Cam then was cut. Newton is a very good QB and would be our best since Bledsoe, but he is not a great QB just a great football player

$100mm is about right for 5 years because in 3-4 years it'll be restructured to another 4-5 yr deal

Yeah, sorry, forgot about Rivers and Ryan. I do, however think you are under-esitimating him a bit, lumping him in with Cutler (who I actually like), Dalton and Kaepernick... either way, the Panthers were right to give him the long term deal.

Edited by Buftex

Yeah...sometimes stats don't tell the whole story, especially with QB's. People will always say Roethlisberger is overrated, basing it on stats..but if you watch him play you come away much more impressed.

Yeah, sorry, forgot about Rivers and Ryan. I do, however think you are under-esitimating him a bit, lumping him in with Cutler (who I actually like), Dalton and Kaepernick... either way, the Panthers were right to give him the long term deal.

he will never be an elite QB. A fan favorite and a good performed. That's it. He will be like McNabb, Bledsoe, Vick, others. He doesn't have that pizza that guys like Eli and Flacco have - that clutch reliability, that focus and that ability to transcend where the game is on your shoulders to not lose. He is a fastball thrower. Not a closer.

I watch a lot of him. If his team ever wins a Super Bowl it will be as much because the defense built around Thomas Davis and Luke Keuchly and one of the most underrated, young DB's units in the league playing behind a top 5 DL even after losing Gregg Hardy.

He is pretty great... Brady, Brees, Manning, Roetlisberger, Luck, Romo, Eli, Rogers and Wilson are the only ones I might consider over him...and at least 5 of them are nearing the end of their careers. He really hasn't had much to work with... when he had Steve Smith, that is all he had...now he has Benjamin, and not much else. Very overrated set of running backs.... mediocre o-line....he can make every throw, and can run the ball very effectively (though the injuries might be starting to catch up). Two playoff appearances in four years on teams with good-decent defenses, and enemic on offense...he carried the Panthers those years as much as any QB had in recent years.

I think he's good. I just would put him around the 12-15 range. He's definitely dynamic. The defense was one of the top in the league the first time he made the playoffs. The second time, he carried the team to a 7-9 playoff birth in the worst division in the league. It's still the playoffs, but not very impressive given how historically bad the division was.

I think he decides to run too quickly, but he could get better at that. We'd be Super Bowl favorites if we had him, IMO.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

I wonder when people are going to stop referring to $20MM/year QB deals as 'mega-deals'. That's the going rate now for a good QB.

i thought we were going to get him? he was one of many superstar QB's that we were going to sign in the offseason :rolleyes:

Don't worry. Eli and Rivers will be available after the season! :lol:

Edited by KD in CT

I moved to Chlt in 98 and have followed the Panthers as my second team since.

Newton gets a bum rap. He has never had a # 1 receiver. S. Smith was a 2 at best when he was here. Olson is his best receiver at TE. His line has been suspect similar to the Bills. He isn't perfect but the only QBs I'd take over him are Rogers, Brady, Luck.

I moved to Chlt in 98 and have followed the Panthers as my second team since.

Newton gets a bum rap. He has never had a # 1 receiver. S. Smith was a 2 at best when he was here. Olson is his best receiver at TE. His line has been suspect similar to the Bills. He isn't perfect but the only QBs I'd take over him are Rogers, Brady, Luck.

In Cam's first two years Steve Smith had 2,568 yards for an average of 1,284 yards per year. I don't know what meets your criteria for a #1 receiver but I would say that's a #1 on 25 -27 teams in the NFL. Must have looked at 10 lists of top QBs in the league, best one I saw for Cam was #8. Most had him in the 10-14 range. I understand it's your opinion, but I wouldn't put him that high. To me around 9-12 seems about right.

In Cam's first two years Steve Smith had 2,568 yards for an average of 1,284 yards per year. I don't know what meets your criteria for a #1 receiver but I would say that's a #1 on 25 -27 teams in the NFL. Must have looked at 10 lists of top QBs in the league, best one I saw for Cam was #8. Most had him in the 10-14 range. I understand it's your opinion, but I wouldn't put him that high. To me around 9-12 seems about right.

In his first 2 years, Cam had Chudzinski as his OC. The first year they played from behind consistently. Cam, with one month of camp(owners lockout season) came in and threw for 400+ in his first two games and 4000+ to break Manning's rookie record. He sucked out loud in the preseason and it was shocking what he came out and did. Then the Panthers got Mike Shula as an OC and ran a much more conservative offense while the Onus was put on the D.

In terms of Smith, stats are for loser which the Panthers were 10 times his first year with Cam. I would rate him Stevie Johnson in his prime, at that point. He caught a lot but they were playing catch up and the D sucked. Steve Smithwas not dictating coverage. Shockey and Olson combined for over 1000 that first year also. They were 2 and 3, I would guess. Olson is good, but he's not Hernandez or Graham good.

Finally, you don't set a rookie passing record without being an incredible talent. Cam has been hamstrung by a lack of weapons and an infuriatingly inconsistent OC scheme. Sometimes Shula looks like a genius...other times like N. Hackett.

In his first 2 years, Cam had Chudzinski as his OC. The first year they played from behind consistently. Cam, with one month of camp(owners lockout season) came in and threw for 400+ in his first two games and 4000+ to break Manning's rookie record. He sucked out loud in the preseason and it was shocking what he came out and did. Then the Panthers got Mike Shula as an OC and ran a much more conservative offense while the Onus was put on the D.

In terms of Smith, stats are for loser which the Panthers were 10 times his first year with Cam. I would rate him Stevie Johnson in his prime, at that point. He caught a lot but they were playing catch up and the D sucked. Steve Smithwas not dictating coverage. Shockey and Olson combined for over 1000 that first year also. They were 2 and 3, I would guess. Olson is good, but he's not Hernandez or Graham good.

Finally, you don't set a rookie passing record without being an incredible talent. Cam has been hamstrung by a lack of weapons and an infuriatingly inconsistent OC scheme. Sometimes Shula looks like a genius...other times like N. Hackett.

OC does matter to the success of a QB I give you that. If smith's stats are inflated because of playing from behind shouldn't Cams? Once again I think Cams good, no doubt, just not top four good In saying that I would have loved to see him come here. This team would be thinking Super Bowl.

Steve smith is a HOF WR. I guess that makes him one of the best WR's of all time. Or the very best #2 WR of all time - right there with Alvin Harper, I guess.

Can Newton is overrated. But so is Rivers and E Manning. Flacco and Romo are underrated.

OC does matter to the success of a QB I give you that. If smith's stats are inflated because of playing from behind shouldn't Cams? Once again I think Cams good, no doubt, just not top four good In saying that I would have loved to see him come here. This team would be thinking Super Bowl.

I think he probably was putting him above a lot of others because he's so young too. Not that he is the 4th best qb week 1. But I'm not 100% sure

Steve smith is a HOF WR. I guess that makes him one of the best WR's of all time. Or the very best #2 WR of all time - right there with Alvin Harper, I guess.

Can Newton is overrated. But so is Rivers and E Manning. Flacco and Romo are underrated.

Steve Smith in his prime was a HOF. He was a veteran's veteran in terms of prepping for the season but the Panther's only had M. Mohamed for a few years, otherwise he was a victim of bad QBs and teams.

Cam is better than Flacco, and Eli IMO. Rivers, Manning are getting old. Hate Rapelesburger as a poor excuse for a human being(personal, I get it) and Romo has 2 (?!) playoff wins. He is great in the regular season but doesn't have the it factor that Cam has. Matt Ryan...Meh

Cam newton deserves every penny. He had bums all over that OL last year.

He will get a ring when alls said and done.

Agreed. Their oline has been a joke for 2 years. Remember Mario owning their RT? They have whatever at rb.

Newton is a stud. It's a joke to compare him to Cutler. He's already made the playoffs more times than smoking Jay. If him and Russell Wilson switch teams, is there any drop off? Much more worth the money than Dalton or Tannehill. Newton is really, really good.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Tough to argue. Not the best position for these teams to have to resign their QBs when they are questionable. But, better than not having one.

Living in Charlotte, I catch a good amount of games. He's a great QB, big arm, mobile and a leader. He definitely tries to do too much sometimes and that gets him into trouble. He thinks he has to be the savior on every play. And now that the team has been influx at skill positions, he's trying to do more than ever. Benjamin is definitely a stud, but Steve Smith leaving took this team down a few pegs.

Jay Cutler, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Cam Newton... all about the same.

No way. Cam is better than any of those you grouped him with. Better arm, better pocket presence, better accuracy, just not a better team around him. If you give him the WR's/Forte that Cutler had in Chicago, Dalton or Kaep's OL, and he's putting up huge numbers.

No way. Cam is better than any of those you grouped him with. Better arm, better pocket presence, better accuracy, just not a better team around him. If you give him the WR's/Forte that Cutler had in Chicago, Dalton or Kaep's OL, and he's putting up huge numbers.

Cam would wreck shop if he switched teams with Andy Dalton. All he needs is a few weapons. Hope funchess brings some help.

by pocket presence you mean, scramble and run for his life if a flea sneezes 10' from him? Dude has no poise.

Dalton has more attempts, more TD's, more yards, better pass %, and only .2% worse QBR. And only played in two less games them Cam. Now you can argue that Newton is banged up and plays hurt that's because he runs too much and has been hit more then double any other QB, maybe triple - can't remember - because he actually has NO pocket presence. He doesn't throw it away. Either folds like a deck chair or runs like a fool.

QB's pass.

Cutler has accuracy. Newton does not. He is just a cannon that lobs it Cutler has more INT% but better Comp%, and has played in very bad systems. If you took Cutler and put him in Newton jersey you'd never know the difference.

Edited by jboyst62

by pocket presence you mean, scramble and run for his life if a flea sneezes 10' from him? Dude has no poise.

Dalton has more attempts, more TD's, more yards, better pass %, and only .2% worse QBR. And only played in two less games them Cam. Now you can argue that Newton is banged up and plays hurt that's because he runs too much and has been hit more then double any other QB, maybe triple - can't remember - because he actually has NO pocket presence. He doesn't throw it away. Either folds like a deck chair or runs like a fool.

QB's pass.

Cutler has accuracy. Newton does not. He is just a cannon that lobs it Cutler has more INT% but better Comp%, and has played in very bad systems. If you took Cutler and put him in Newton jersey you'd never know the difference.

Sounds like you got biases against Newton. Newton has never had close to the talent Cutler has played with the last 2 years.

QB's pass.

I don't know how many Carolina games you have actually watched, but we get the benefit of seeing them more than enough in VA. Cam runs for his life because his OL blows. I've also seen him stand in the pocket on numerous occasions, take the hit he knows is coming, and deliver a strike to Olsen or whomever the WR may be. He can put the ball in any window you give him. He hasn't had that many weapons, nor have they done that great of a job building the offense around him since he's been there. He had Steve Smith for a couple of years and Olsen. Last year he had Benjamin and Olsen. The RB's are all garbage and nothing outside of the previous guys mentioned. Like I said, put him with that Bears offense the last two seasons and he's putting up huge numbers. Hell, give him an OL that holds up as well as Dalton's and he puts up huge numbers. Not sure if you are basing everything you are saying off of season statistics or if you are actually watching the games, but Newton is a guy you have to defensively game plan for on all levels where as the other QB's you mentioned are not really much of a threat, minus Kaep and his running ability.

@RapSheet: Cam Newton and the #Panthers have agreed to terms on a 5-year, $103M deal, source said. Negotiated by Chitta Mallik, Tony Paige & Bus Cook.

@RapSheet: Cam Newton will earn $67.6M in the first 3 years of his deal, source said. Most money every in a 3-year period.

@AdamSchefter: Cam Newton's new 5-year, $103.8 million deal also includes $60 million guaranteed, per source.

@RapSheet: Cam Newton and the #Panthers have agreed to terms on a 5-year, $103M deal, source said. Negotiated by Chitta Mallik, Tony Paige & Bus Cook.

@RapSheet: Cam Newton will earn $67.6M in the first 3 years of his deal, source said. Most money every in a 3-year period.

@AdamSchefter: Cam Newton's new 5-year, $103.8 million deal also includes $60 million guaranteed, per source.

Wow big money.

All he needs is a few weapons. Hope funchess brings some help.

Living in Charlotte, I catch a good amount of games. He's a great QB, big arm, mobile and a leader. He definitely tries to do too much sometimes and that gets him into trouble. He thinks he has to be the savior on every play. And now that the team has been influx at skill positions, he's trying to do more than ever. Benjamin is definitely a stud, but Steve Smith leaving took this team down a few pegs.

The irony is, this contract he just signed will ensure he never gets those weapons. The money they just committed will prevent them from fielding a great OL and getting him some players to throw to. This usually isn't a problem if the QB you just signed for elite money is actually elite, since it doesn't matter who they are throwing to, but Newton isn't. He's a great QB, but he isn't elite.

This team would be so lucky if they had to pay a QB that money.

The irony is, this contract he just signed will ensure he never gets those weapons. The money they just committed will prevent them from fielding a great OL and getting him some players to throw to. This usually isn't a problem if the QB you just signed for elite money is actually elite, since it doesn't matter who they are throwing to, but Newton isn't. He's a great QB, but he isn't elite.

Wrong... Just draft well. This contract doesn't mean they give up draft picks which is where you find the talent to surround your QB. Edited by Beef Jerky

I don't know how many Carolina games you have actually watched, but we get the benefit of seeing them more than enough in VA. Cam runs for his life because his OL blows. I've also seen him stand in the pocket on numerous occasions, take the hit he knows is coming, and deliver a strike to Olsen or whomever the WR may be. He can put the ball in any window you give him. He hasn't had that many weapons, nor have they done that great of a job building the offense around him since he's been there. He had Steve Smith for a couple of years and Olsen. Last year he had Benjamin and Olsen. The RB's are all garbage and nothing outside of the previous guys mentioned. Like I said, put him with that Bears offense the last two seasons and he's putting up huge numbers. Hell, give him an OL that holds up as well as Dalton's and he puts up huge numbers. Not sure if you are basing everything you are saying off of season statistics or if you are actually watching the games, but Newton is a guy you have to defensively game plan for on all levels where as the other QB's you mentioned are not really much of a threat, minus Kaep and his running ability.

I get every panther game being as I am just outside of Charlotte

He needs help with weapons. He had a sophomore slump, but played well his third year when they went 12-4. Last year was hard given their defensive losses. They did beat the Cardinals in the playoffs.

The going rate for a starting QB seems to be in the $20 million range. I think this was a little high, but for the people who keep wishing we pick up a franchise AB IN FREE AGENCY, just accept that almost at never ever happens.

They beat the Ryan Lindley-led Cardinals.

Lots of money, think is maybe slightly better than Kap, but has similar issues. They are both big, built to last guys who can move and sling it, but their leadership has sometimes been questioned.

Edited by Big C

team friendly, imo.

i'd sign him to the bills on that contract in a second.