Extra Point rule has changed

@DeanBlandino: The extra point rule for 2015 just changed. Snap for kick from the 15-yard line, 2-pt try stays at 2-yard line and defense can return.

@AdamSchefter: NFL now will have 33-yard extra points, inviting teams to try more two-point conversions.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@MikeGarafolo: Redskins and Raiders voted against the changes to the extra point, source says. But in the end, they were outnumbered.

Boosts value of kickers. We may not have a QB but we have a franchise kicker, dammit!

@MikeGarafolo: Important note: Extra point decisions can change after penalties. (e.g. a defensive penalty on a kick, offense can then go for 2 from the 1)

Edited by YoloinOhio

I wish they would just get rid of the kick, not make it harder. Make the game less dependent on kicking.

And yes, thinking now just another oppty for Bills fan heartbreak - how many amazing "game tying" TDs will be for nothing after missed extra pt.....

A lot more teams will go for 2. Better have good goal line defense which we have i think better than most teams. Last year it seemed like we bent didnt break style defense. Gave up alot of yards between the 20s but held good when teams got in our red zone. Our red zone offense on the other was paltry at best. We might kick for one. Rex is gambler and a trickster though it will make for some interesting calls. Fans will be like they should have gone for 2 or why didnt they kick it?

I wish they would just get rid of the kick, not make it harder. Make the game less dependent on kicking.

And yes, thinking now just another oppty for Bills fan heartbreak - how many amazing "game tying" TDs will be for nothing after missed extra pt.....

You do realize that the name of the game is FOOTball right?

I don't expect very much change in 2 pt attempts nor PAT misses. 33 yard field goals are still pretty automatic for kickers today.

I think the Lions kicker that was released after the Bills game last year would disagree.

Yes I know one of them was 50 yards but the other two I believe were within 40.

Just checked 47,47 and 50. My bad.

Edited by The Wiz

Sorry, Chip Kelly...

@smartfootball: Side effect of new PAT rule is I guess it effectively ends the formations where teams line up threatening to go for 2 and motion back to PAT

Can you imagine a team that runs the ball backwards to the 15 yard line and holds it for the kicker running with him? Would kinda be like the Flutie drop kick.

Agree 100%. This rule change is an improvement over the boring automatic kick, but only marginally. Eliminating the PAT kick altogether and requiring teams to go for PAT on a real football play would be much more interesting.

They should narrow the goalposts instead of this rule change.

I think both honestly. Make it even more edgy to the success percentages.

That would change the thinking and give a bit of a reset to the game. If the 2 point gains ground (lol) then teams start staffing esp. for that feature which may push the game back to running game. would be interesting to watch that develop

99.3% last year PAT's

99.6% the year before.

I have no problem, but Philly's idea to move the 2 pt. to the 1 yard line would ahve been better in tandem with this change. The percentage only goes from 44% to 56% success at the one yard line so not a gimme, but would favor a big line, and dynamic backs. Anyone know a team like that.

I'm against this.

I don't either. Probably just because I'm stubborn... but I'll really hate it the first time the Bills lose a meaningful game on a missed PAT.. or some goofy two point gimmick. I also recognize the obvious arguments about the 'real' football players making plays and winning the games... but it's just my two pennies.

I totally agree. I'm listening to John Murphy right now saying how this will make it more exciting, etc.

Two years ago, they wanted to get rid of it all together. Which I was for. Why trick up the game and yes, we will have heartbreak over this.

The extra point is pretty much the stupidest rule in sports. You earn your touchdown - what the !@#$ does a kick or play from the two after it have to do with it.

No other sport messes with the scoring in this way. I just don't think it's in the interest of fairness. It's in the interest of making "things exciting"

@MikeGarafolo: Important note: Extra point decisions can change after penalties. (e.g. a defensive penalty on a kick, offense can then go for 2 from the 1)

Listened to the talking heads on TV but so far no one I saw mentioned if the penalty is on the offense. Line up to go for two, false start, are you committed to go for two from seven out or can you then line up for a 38 yard PAT kick? I would think you would be able to decide where you want those five yards added but have not heard anyone say so clearly.

Edited by Coastie

Can you imagine a team that runs the ball backwards to the 15 yard line and holds it for the kicker running with him? Would kinda be like the Flutie drop kick.

supposedly you can still drop kick but has to snapped from the 15, can't snap on 2-yard line and drop kick

NFL Radio just had Giants kicker on talking with Polian. Bill said this -in effect, means PKs will kick an additional 55 33yrd FGs a year. The PKer said he'd been contemplating this and realizing his mid week schedule will have to be dramatically altered to assure fatigue doesn't become an issue. Interesting discussion.

NFL Radio just had Giants kicker on talking with Polian. Bill said this -in effect, means PKs will kick an additional 55 33yrd FGs a year. The PKer said he'd been contemplating this and realizing his mid week schedule will have to be dramatically altered to assure fatigue doesn't become an issue. Interesting discussion.

But 55 fewer 21 yarders--- is the gap that big with regards to fatigue?

Sounds like more reason to have 2 kickers on the team....

Here's what Pat Kirwan had to say:

From https://twitter.com/PatKirwanCBS/status/600785169239449600

the new xpt-33yd kick is a90% success rate and a 2 pt play is 47.8% success rate...Teams will keep kicking..I do like the ability to return

last yr 1,293TDs only 100 were followed by a 2 point attempt-I suspect this year 2pt plays will still be about 7% of the extra pt plays

Here's what Pat Kirwan had to say:

From https://twitter.com/PatKirwanCBS/status/600785169239449600

the new xpt-33yd kick is a90% success rate and a 2 pt play is 47.8% success rate...Teams will keep kicking..I do like the ability to return

last yr 1,293TDs only 100 were followed by a 2 point attempt-I suspect this year 2pt plays will still be about 7% of the extra pt plays

I take it he didn't do the math

90% of 1 point = .9 probable points

47.8% of 2 points = .956 probable points