Bills 5th rd pick Karlos Williams is a steal

I don't care what the so called experts say - Monos and Whaley know what they're doing. I'm not saying they won't make a mistake - but they are clearly expert talent evaluators. I think Dez Lewis is poised to make this team and could be a nice find as well.

if he keeps his nose clean he could be the Bills future primary RB

He's not a starter. He's backup material.

All I know is that if McCoy goes down, and he's been relatively durable, that we're left with crap that netted us bottom 10 rushing performance last season. That's not good.

If McCoy stays healthy and Cassel starts, I'm expecting either an 11 or 12 win season.

I don't care what the so called experts say - Monos and Whaley know what they're doing.

Oh yeah, Manuel and the McCoy trade sure proved that.

I know many people aren't fans of the Bills giving him a second chance due to his character issue, but I had a conversation about him with a FO exec with another team and he said he is an absolute stud who he thinks will be a very hard to stop 1-2 punch with mccoy next year (or this year, if he beats out fred/bryce for that role)

All I know is that if McCoy goes down, and he's been relatively durable, that we're left with crap that netted us bottom 10 rushing performance last season. That's not good.

If McCoy stays healthy and Cassel starts, I'm expecting either an 11 or 12 win season.

Wait a minute, the trade that netted the player upon whose health you believe achieving an 11-win season hinges somehow shows that Whaley and Monos DON'T know what they're doing?

That...doesn't make sense at all.

The more info I get on Williams the more I like the pick. 6-1, 230 with sub 4.5 speed is a great combo of skills and I truly think after this year the Bills will be featuring a McCoy/Williams backfield similar to the thunder/lightning you've seen with other teams.

The beauty about Williams is as big as he is he is extremely fast for his size. So he can run you over or make you miss to get into the open field, and once that happens he can run away from DBs.

He'll also be a nightmare for LB with similar size to cover in the passing game since he is much faster than them.

His blocking skillset will be key, but I really think this is going to be one of those picks we'll look back and consider a steal.

Of course, taking into consideration any past issues being resolved and lesson learned. If he can stay clean the sky is the limit.

I don't care what the so called experts say - Monos and Whaley know what they're doing. I'm not saying they won't make a mistake - but they are clearly expert talent evaluators. I think Dez Lewis is poised to make this team and could be a nice find as well.

I completely agree.

I think Whaley and Monos has earned our patience and trust in them with some great picks over the years. I foresee this draft following suit.

Wait a minute, the trade that netted the player upon whose health you believe achieving an 11-win season hinges somehow shows that Whaley and Monos DON'T know what they're doing?

That...doesn't make sense at all.

The Watkins trade netted McCoy?

Seriously?

That's funny, I thought that they traded Alonso for McCoy. Guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

Seriously?

That's funny, I thought that they traded Alonso for McCoy. Guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

Yeah you definitely don't. The trade being referenced in the post you quoted IS the Alonso for McCoy trade. You think McCoy is critical to a 11 win season but you list the trade which got him as an example of a FO misstep.

Seriously?

YOU said that IF McCoy stays healthy they'll win 11 games (you expect).

Then you (sarcastically) said that Whaley doesn't know what he's doing and offered the McCoy trade as proof.

Where did you mention Watkins in the post that I quoted?

Here, just in case you forgot:

Edited by thebandit27

Another Karlos Williams thread?

I like him but unless Boobie gets cut or there is an injury I don't see how Karlos even sees the field this year

i think he could beat out Bryce Brown because he plays ST. If Brown looks really good in TC, he might go to PS. I don't think fred or Dixon will be cut.

Oh and trading back in the first round of the 2013 draft we netted the 46th pick and drafted Alonso. Are you aware of who we traded to get McCoy?

Oh and trading back in the first round of the 2013 draft we netted the 46th pick and drafted Alonso. Are you aware of who we traded to get McCoy?

I was gonna post just this but i figured if i waited and read someone would have said it already. In any event taskers ghost has lost his mind so i will read around him

What the hell are you talking about? You blame Whaley for EJ? You don't like the McCoy trade?

I don't have much to go on, but I don't have a good feeling about him personally after watching some interviews. You just get vibes about people. I think there is a VERY good reason a talent like his fell to the 5th round. I don't expect anybody here to believe me, but I had the same vibes about Aaron Hernandez during a prime-time game a few years ago when they showed him socializing with another Pats player during a blowout win. Maybe not a murderer vibe, but definitely a criminal vibe.

To balance it out, I got a good vibe from Darby and Lewis.

I'm ignorant here- what sort of track history does this guy have that would indicate he's a trouble maker? I know he said he's eager to compete and play special teams so that sounded good to me. I really didn't follow the draft much at all this year.

last year his pregnant gf accused him of hitting her and causing bruises, no charges filed. He also was accused of being involved in setting up a drug deal that led to a burglary but no charges filed. Those are the two I heard about. Edited by YoloinOhio

last year his pregnant gf accused him of hitting her and causing bruises, no charges filed. He also was accused of being involved in setting up a drug deal that led to a burglary but no charges filed. Those are the two I heard about.

This might sound indelicate, but it's not the first one that worries me, but the 2nd. At the very least, he's been involved with some very shady people. Who's to say he's not anymore? History shows that many NFL and NBA players bring that entourage with them to the major leagues.

This might sound indelicate, but it's not the first one that worries me, but the 2nd. At the very least, he's been involved with some very shady people. Who's to say he's not anymore? History shows that many NFL and NBA players bring that entourage with them to the major leagues.

i would say on the surface both are troublesome - but the teams do in depth research and I'll assume they felt comfortable with what they found out. Maybe he was involved with neither, maybe both, we don't know. I don't think much of the Tallahassee PD as far as whether or not charges were filed but I also don't know the whole story. Hoping he's on a good path either way. Sometimes kids need a change of scenery, too, and to get away from certain "friends".

i would say on the surface both are troublesome - but the teams do in depth research and I'll assume they felt comfortable with what they found out. Maybe he was involved with neither, maybe both, we don't know. I don't think much of the Tallahassee PD as far as whether or not charges were filed but I also don't know the whole story. Hoping he's on a good path either way. Sometimes kids need a change of scenery, too, and to get away from certain "friends".

This is an example of why it's extremely rare to get an out-and-out steal in the draft. You have to cross your fingers and hope some of the imperfections that scared other teams away can be overcome. (Vontaze Burfict = yes; Johnny Football = no (so far).

This is an example of why it's extremely rare to get an out-and-out steal in the draft. You have to cross your fingers and hope some of the imperfections that scared other teams away can be overcome. (Vontaze Burfict = yes; Johnny Football = no (so far).

i agree. Talent-wise I do think he's a steal in the 5th. But they are taking a chance on him, no doubt.

I don't have much to go on, but I don't have a good feeling about him personally after watching some interviews. You just get vibes about people. I think there is a VERY good reason a talent like his fell to the 5th round. I don't expect anybody here to believe me, but I had the same vibes about Aaron Hernandez during a prime-time game a few years ago when they showed him socializing with another Pats player during a blowout win. Maybe not a murderer vibe, but definitely a criminal vibe.

To balance it out, I got a good vibe from Darby and Lewis.

you're right, there is a very good reason that he fell to the fifth round but it's not what you're intimiating at- he's still an athlete as a football player rather than a running back or a safety (the two positions he played in college).

he can run fast, he's powerful, but he doesn't have good vision and doesn't always hit the right hole. a very raw, raw player that has only played 2 years of running back.

http://nysportsbiz.com/2015/05/12/1844/ IMO he will have a special teams impact right away and maybe an expanded role on offense in 2016 in Roman's power running scheme

Could also replace Booby Dixon on the roster too because of his ST's availability , especially if he is a better runner than Booby which it seems that he is by his college tape ..

Bye Bye Booby !!

you're right, there is a very good reason that he fell to the fifth round but it's not what you're intimiating at- he's still an athlete as a football player rather than a running back or a safety (the two positions he played in college).

he can run fast, he's powerful, but he doesn't have good vision and doesn't always hit the right hole. a very raw, raw player that has only played 2 years of running back.

I'm not a major expert, but I do not see bad vision in the above video.

I'm not a major expert, but I do not see bad vision in the above video.

I've watched literally every snap of his while he was @ FSU. That is an entire highlight of his 2013 year- nothing from last year. He looked much better in 2013 when he mostly ran outside without having to let blocks set up.

I know many people aren't fans of the Bills giving him a second chance due to his character issue, but I had a conversation about him with a FO exec with another team and he said he is an absolute stud who he thinks will be a very hard to stop 1-2 punch with mccoy next year (or this year, if he beats out fred/bryce for that role)

yep. Karlos can play ST. Fred is pretty much done and Bryce Brown is a ball security risk and no good on ST.. in a run first offense , guys like Brown who will now have the ball attacked when they carry it are a liability. We shall see. My guess is Fred maybe stays, Brown definitely goes. This could be the end for Fred. Not sure.

I like the pick in the 5th round (about where he was projected to go), but I wouldn't say he was a steal...and It's certainly quite a stretch to say he's primary back material.

I watch every FSU game, as I'm sure many have the last few years. Williams was one of those guys always hyped because of his athletic potential, but unfortunately he never really lived up to it. He's fast and strong, but he doesn't have good balance or vision, and certainly hasn't shown good instincts as a primary back.

What he has shown that he can do is be an explosive change of pace back, a good 3rd down back, and a good special teams player. KW (the new one), has only been playing running back for a couple of years, so maybe the Bills get lucky and he develops into something special. I think it's more likely that he is just a ST guy first, change of pace/3rd down/short yardage back in the future. That's all the Bills need right now anyway, with McCoy.

Stylistically he could be a more sporadic FJ replacement as a RB, and he's already a good STs guy with his athleticism and safety background.

It's a good pick for this point in the draft, the kind you generally expect. If we want to talk steals, I think Oleary has more starter potential as a 6th rounder.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Karlos Williams has better measurements than Carlos Hyde, who the Bills tried to trade up for with a 2nd round pick.

He is bigger, just as strong, a bit faster...and he compared to players like Gurley, Blount and Bell.

I will keep saying this, as far as *overall physical talent* goes, it is, in my opinion...

1. McCoy

2. Williams

3. Brown

4. Jackson/Dixon

(They set out to make every position better 2 years ago, and that is exactly what they have done, at most spots...especially RB, WR, TE, CB...aka "playmakers.")