Treating the 50th pick as a commodity.

I actually wanted to throw this out there as well and did not want to start a new thread. What are people's thoughts on trading pick 50 this year and maybe a late round pick for a 1st round pick in 2016? I am kind of interested in that as an option. This way if they entered the 2016 draft with a need for a QB still they would be armed with the ammunition to go and get just about any of them. They could package their 2 1sts and even a 2nd if they wanted and get at or near the top of the draft board.

They can trade a 3rd for an established vet lineman if they want (Mathis can be had for a 3rd). They will not really have any needs from this draft at that point. They can use the 3 late round picks that are left and UDFA to try to find some developmental players and maybe a depth player.

I'd be all over this, especially trading with a team I have low expectations for. (As a side "benefit", we'd get pretty much a free weekend at draft time. Ugh...) We mostly need a guard and a QB. This plan allows for both. Later picks may add depth or PS players. We don't need to draft a big bunch of guys we'll have to cut. I'd rather be building with quality picks than FA's because they're cheaper.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually wanted to throw this out there as well and did not want to start a new thread. What are people's thoughts on trading pick 50 this year and maybe a late round pick for a 1st round pick in 2016? I am kind of interested in that as an option. This way if they entered the 2016 draft with a need for a QB still they would be armed with the ammunition to go and get just about any of them. They could package their 2 1sts and even a 2nd if they wanted and get at or near the top of the draft board.

They can trade a 3rd for an established vet lineman if they want (Mathis can be had for a 3rd). They will not really have any needs from this draft at that point. They can use the 3 late round picks that are left and UDFA to try to find some developmental players and maybe a depth player.

Love the idea, but what if the phone doesn't ring?

First , i am of the opinion everything is smoke right now. To read into his words is playing into his hands .

Whaley is getting pretty confident and potentially cocky !

They should be getting ready for the following seasons draft. Trading picks should be proactive thinking 2016. whether its gathering more picks by trading down or not.

Need to find some leverage if Bills need a QB next year. Because that will be a trade up for sure. our record this coming season will put us pretty far down the 32 !!

It happens quite a bit but maybe not in this class. There would have to be a player on the board that someone like Indianapolis really wanted. I don't know who that guy is. Maybe if someone like DGB fell? You may be able to do something like a 2nd this year and a 4th next year for a 1st in 2016.

I would rather an established, good OL than another young guy competing for that starting spot.

I wish that Evans was still available but this new deal pretty much assures that he is staying in NOLA. Mathis can be had. There may be some others but none off the top of my head.

blalock

Edited by 3rdand12

If we dropped the 2nd round pick and picked up something so far as two 3rd round picks (this year and next) and a 4th .... or anything worthwhile, i am for it.

I do not expect any worthwhile talent there at 50. Funchess intrigues me but could be gone. Funchess and Clay on the field would be a very big mismatch.

Given our off season spending & more importantly the depth on the team, isn't it more likely that Whaley packages some picks to move up for someone the organization covets?

Apologies to you and kdiggz for stating what you did about moving up in this year's draft, but much later. I'm going to leave that post so I can say told you so if the Bills do in fact move up.

Yes, stockpiling picks for next year makes a ton of sense. Team is deep and saving some money on this year's non-picks makes sense. Having the flexibility to make some moves next year makes sense. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is moving down in this draft.

If someone is there and you have the assets to go get him do it.

If someone comes a callin' and offers a pick next year to move up this year do it.

I think that you may see the opposite. The Bills want quality in this draft, not quantity. I would expect them to try to spin those late round picks into established assets, picks next year, or to move up. I would be REALLY, REALLY surprised if the Bills added 4 players in rounds 5-7. The roster is just too deep.

The point being that you may see them use those picks to go up and get somebody but not back.

Great point. Not to mention trying to find maybe 2-3 starters from this draft working on a rookie contract. Easier to find starters in rounds 1-3. It gets harder the later the rounds, obviously(as Marrone would say).

I think it's possible, but it seems more likely that a lineman with a high grade will fall to 50 that can make an immediate push to start in my opinion. It is certainly possible that nobody is there that we have a high grade on, but I can think of a handful of guys who seem likely to be there that we would jump at.

This^......I would think.

If there was a year not to have a first coupled with our need on the OL, we might be in a good place for a good, quality OG or fallen OT selection. I trust Doug to do the good and the right.

Given our off season spending & more importantly the depth on the team, isn't it more likely that Whaley packages some picks to move up for someone the organization covets?

Apologies to you and kdiggz for stating what you did about moving up in this year's draft, but much later. I'm going to leave that post so I can say told you so if the Bills do in fact move up.

Yes, stockpiling picks for next year makes a ton of sense. Team is deep and saving some money on this year's non-picks makes sense. Having the flexibility to make some moves next year makes sense. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is moving down in this draft.

If someone is there and you have the assets to go get him do it.

If someone comes a callin' and offers a pick next year to move up this year do it.

The only two pieces of real value The Bills have are the Picks in the 2nd and 3rd.

Could they trade them for a shot at a Maxx Williams, Carl Davis, Eli Harold, or Cameron Erving?

I think a serviceable backup OG might be had in the field of June 1 cuts. So whom would they covet so much to use multiple picks to move up? Williams is a real possibility, IMHO. Other than an interior OLineman - Erving - they're a bit thin at LB - Harold - (but I do think Spikes will be back), and/or DE Carl Davis perhaps?

I highly doubt they trade up into the first round this year. But like you said, if there's someone they covet somewhere between 33 and 49, they might jump up. It'll be an interesting Day 2 of the Draft.

i think that based on his recent comments about the only starter position being open as Guard and he doesn't expect much from the rookies and went so far as to say the later picks will have a hard time making roster, I would be very surprised to see him trade down for more mid round picks this year. Maybe he could turn the 5th into a 4th or something like that by trading down a pick or two but that's all I can see. Since they don't have a 1st rounder they need to hit on a good player in the 2nd. Jmo.

This. Considering our overall talent level, I don't think many of this years draftees will make the final 53. If we were looking to trade down from 50 and get a pick in the 50-60 range while landing a 3rd or 4th I'd consider the move, but would object if we continued to trade down.

Right now this team needs a guard badly and could use upgrades at other positions. Trading down to pick up extra picks in the mid rounds isn't a bad idea if there isn't a highly coveted player of need there. But in the mid second round you aren't going to trade down and get too many other picks other than a 3rd rounder or lower.

You have to have a number of plans and I'm sure the Bills do.

For me:

Plan A - have a guy (probably on the OLine) that you would be willing to go up for if he slides into the top of the second if you think he can be an impact starter right away. Our 2nd and 3rd potentially gets us right to the top of the 2nd round according to the value charts.

Plan B - pick the best player available that falls to us at #50 if that guy is one of the positions we could maybe do with help..... namely OL, LB, TE, S (last one is unlikely in this class in my opinion).

Plan C - if getting close to our pick it doesn't look like a player in one of those positions with the right grade will be there then you start shopping the pick. I like the idea of Kirby's but I think it is unlikely you are going to get someone willing to give up next year's 1st in exchange for a 2nd and a 4th. However, I would start from that premise with the reality being that I want their 2nd next year and a 4th this year... that 2nd next year could still potentially be some ammunition as part of a trade up in the 1st in 2016. Then use the picks we have at the end of the draft to try and get up to near the top of the 3rd round bringing our first selection in this year's draft inside the first 75. You might under this strategy only end up picking two players this year - a high 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder - or at most 3 players... but you will have set your marker for next year and as others have said we do have some depth already on this team.

i think that based on his recent comments about the only starter position being open as Guard and he doesn't expect much from the rookies and went so far as to say the later picks will have a hard time making roster, I would be very surprised to see him trade down for more mid round picks this year. Maybe he could turn the 5th into a 4th or something like that by trading down a pick or two but that's all I can see. Since they don't have a 1st rounder they need to hit on a good player in the 2nd. Jmo.

Given his recent comments about the missing piece being a Guard, I wouldn't be surprised if we trade the 2nd for an established, late 20-something starter. You KNOW they've done their pro-scouting work and know who they'd like to get and the nuances of said player with that team.

Just a thought...

Doug is a wild man. However, I don't see them moving back. I'm not sure teams are going to be too crazy about moving up. There is good depth this year at OL, LB, WR and RB. No one would move up in that position of a QB. Elite edge rushers and DT will be gone. I'm not sure what a team would want to move up to 50 for. CB? S?

Doug is a wild man. However, I don't see them moving back. I'm not sure teams are going to be too crazy about moving up. There is good depth this year at OL, LB, WR and RB. No one would move up in that position of a QB. Elite edge rushers and DT will be gone. I'm not sure what a team would want to move up to 50 for. CB? S?

Actually if every QB except the top 2 is there I could see someone moving up for Petty or Hundley maybe.