Treating the 50th pick as a commodity.

I actually wanted to throw this out there as well and did not want to start a new thread. What are people's thoughts on trading pick 50 this year and maybe a late round pick for a 1st round pick in 2016? I am kind of interested in that as an option. This way if they entered the 2016 draft with a need for a QB still they would be armed with the ammunition to go and get just about any of them. They could package their 2 1sts and even a 2nd if they wanted and get at or near the top of the draft board.

They can trade a 3rd for an established vet lineman if they want (Mathis can be had for a 3rd). They will not really have any needs from this draft at that point. They can use the 3 late round picks that are left and UDFA to try to find some developmental players and maybe a depth player.

Getting an extra first rounder next season would be ideal, I'd prefer it to taking a player at 50 (but I'm not a draftnik) for exactly that reason: flexibility. I don't know if many people would be willing to part with a future pick for 50 based on what I've read about this year's class, but a player + 50 is doable. Something like Goodwin plus the 50th pick might get it done.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting an extra first rounder next season would be ideal, I'd prefer it to taking a player at 50 (but I'm not a draftnik) for exactly that reason: flexibility. I don't know if many people would be willing to part with a future pick for 50 based on what I've read about this year's class, but a player + 50 is doable. Something like Goodwin plus the 50th pick might get it done.

Nobody is going to give you a first rounder for 50 + Goodwin in my mind. He simply hasn't shown enough.

Nobody is going to give you a first rounder for 50 + Goodwin in my mind. He simply hasn't shown enough.

You're probably right, it would have to be the perfect team who wanted a guy badly at 50 and had a hole at WR. There are tradable assets on the roster, Goodwin (in my mind) being the most expendable at the moment. I'm sure Leodis would get it done but I don't see Rex giving him up -- and I'm not sure I would either for that price. But I'd consider it.