Treating the 50th pick as a commodity.

I searched to see if I was repeating a topic, and I am sorry if I am.

Just read the article about the Bills and their plans for the 50th pick. I would be happy if Whaley did what he did last year, which was to trade the pick for other choices. Unless there is one player available at #50 who jumps off the page as an obvious choice, there will probably be a few players that they would consider. There may be another team who really covets somebody available at that point, and is willing to give up a 3rd or 4th rounder to move up a few slots.

New England and Miami used to do this all the time, and would end up going into the draft with 7 picks and walk out with 12.

It makes the draft more fun to watch, and we end up with extra players.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley has shown no hesitation to move around the board in each of the last few drafts. If the right offer is on the table and the value isn't there with the available players, I don't think he would hesitate to move down to pick up a 3rd/4th or a future pick.

I think it's possible, but it seems more likely that a lineman with a high grade will fall to 50 that can make an immediate push to start in my opinion. It is certainly possible that nobody is there that we have a high grade on, but I can think of a handful of guys who seem likely to be there that we would jump at.

Just read the article about the Bills and their plans for the 50th pick. I would be happy if Whaley did what he did last year, which was to trade the pick for other choices. Unless there is one player available at #50 who jumps off the page as an obvious choice, there will probably be a few players that they would consider. There may be another team who really covets somebody available at that point, and is willing to give up a 3rd or 4th rounder to move up a few slots.

New England and Miami used to do this all the time, and would end up going into the draft with 7 picks and walk out with 12.

i think that based on his recent comments about the only starter position being open as Guard and he doesn't expect much from the rookies and went so far as to say the later picks will have a hard time making roster, I would be very surprised to see him trade down for more mid round picks this year. Maybe he could turn the 5th into a 4th or something like that by trading down a pick or two but that's all I can see. Since they don't have a 1st rounder they need to hit on a good player in the 2nd. Jmo. Edited by YoloinOhio

"Dealer Doug" will not hesitate to move around if the deal is right.

That said, the Bills are in need of TE and OL, we can always use another quality LB or DB, and I think the chances someone they like will be there at #50 are good.

I think the opposite could happen. As mentioned, they don't have a lot of openings and the late round guys might be cut anyhow. So I could see them trading up if one of the 1st round linemen fall into the top of the 2nd.

I think that you may see the opposite. The Bills want quality in this draft, not quantity. I would expect them to try to spin those late round picks into established assets, picks next year, or to move up. I would be REALLY, REALLY surprised if the Bills added 4 players in rounds 5-7. The roster is just too deep.

The point being that you may see them use those picks to go up and get somebody but not back.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

"Dealer Doug" will not hesitate to move around if the deal is right.

That said, the Bills are in need of TE and OL, we can always use another quality LB or DB, and I think the chances someone they like will be there at #50 are good.

Not sure I see the need for a TE at this point. They may want to add another but don't see it as a need.

I actually wanted to throw this out there as well and did not want to start a new thread. What are people's thoughts on trading pick 50 this year and maybe a late round pick for a 1st round pick in 2016? I am kind of interested in that as an option. This way if they entered the 2016 draft with a need for a QB still they would be armed with the ammunition to go and get just about any of them. They could package their 2 1sts and even a 2nd if they wanted and get at or near the top of the draft board.

They can trade a 3rd for an established vet lineman if they want (Mathis can be had for a 3rd). They will not really have any needs from this draft at that point. They can use the 3 late round picks that are left and UDFA to try to find some developmental players and maybe a depth player.

I think they will most likely stay put at 50, as I'm guessing there will be someone who falls to them that they have a higher value on at that pick--BPA.

I'm guessing their trade will come in the 3rd to move up about 5 spots, giving up their 5th.

Edited by TPS

I actually wanted to throw this out there as well and did not want to start a new thread. What are people's thoughts on trading pick 50 this year and maybe a late round pick for a 1st round pick in 2016? I am kind of interested in that as an option. This way if they entered the 2016 draft with a need for a QB still they would be armed with the ammunition to go and get just about any of them. They could package their 2 1sts and even a 2nd if they wanted and get at or near the top of the draft board.

They can trade a 3rd for an established vet lineman if they want (Mathis can be had for a 3rd). They will not really have any needs from this draft at that point. They can use the 3 late round picks that are left and UDFA to try to find some developmental players and maybe a depth player.

Totally agree and believe this is the most logical way to approach this years draft.

I'm with you on the second rounder. I'd like to believe we're good enough to need the firepower to land someone decent in the first.

I wouldn't mind if they used the third and some of the lower picks to move up and grab someone they liked instead of trading for a veteran though, I think we need more lower priced options at this point as opposed to fa vets unless they are signed cheap (after the draft).

I think the issue with the team is

There literally is nothing that can be done yet to improve the QB position

and

There will be late picks that will have a hard time making this team

In that kind of a situation I think we would be better off just standing our ground and making a pick. Maybe even packing later picks to get a 4th rounder (J. Evans hmmmmmm)

I think the issue with the team is

There literally is nothing that can be done yet to improve the QB position

and

There will be late picks that will have a hard time making this team

In that kind of a situation I think we would be better off just standing our ground and making a pick. Maybe even packing later picks to get a 4th rounder (J. Evans hmmmmmm)

He's off the table now.

I'd be thrilled with that scenario. Regardless of the potential target next year. I also am holding out hope for a vet minimum guard acquisition. Still a lot of folks to be cut.

I could definitely see that if one of the higher end linemen, LB's or Landon Collins starts to fall a bit

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

I would like to see this, but who would give up a first next year for a second.

I just don't see a dance partner

Kirby,

The problem with that is we really do need another quality offensive linemen.......and I dont think Rex Roman's offense goes unless he has the horses up front to make it work. (edit just saw your comment on Mathis so u covered it)

Edited by John from Hemet

I would like to see this, but who would give up a first next year for a second.

I just don't see a dance partner

It happens quite a bit but maybe not in this class. There would have to be a player on the board that someone like Indianapolis really wanted. I don't know who that guy is. Maybe if someone like DGB fell? You may be able to do something like a 2nd this year and a 4th next year for a 1st in 2016.

Kirby,

The problem with that is we really do need another quality offensive linemen.......and I dont think Rex Roman's offense goes unless he has the horses up front to make it work. (edit just saw your comment on Mathis so u covered it)

I would rather an established, good OL than another young guy competing for that starting spot.

I wish that Evans was still available but this new deal pretty much assures that he is staying in NOLA. Mathis can be had. There may be some others but none off the top of my head.

Edited by Kirby Jackson