Chris Borland retiring after rookie season with SF

frogger

Really. Not many jobs pay people for talking about a game, either. Dude needs to get over himself.

Meanwhile, the money Borland "robbed" the team of was basically vet minimum for one season, the cost of a replacement-level player, when the guy was at least a "B" prospect in the NFL.

A bit of me thinks that those rushing to disparage the guy are a bit scared of what this augurs for the NFL. If NFL popularity wanes, fewer guys like Schefter will have jobs.

Well, few people have jobs like Schefter anyway, so no change there.

I don't see any evidence of the decrease in the popularity of the NFL. For the most part, it seems to be "unpopular" in the off-season. As soon as week one rolls around, everyone can't get enough. Ratings are at an all time high, as are ad revenues. It's not clear to me how the concussion issue has or will put a noticable dent in any of this. It's just something we like to debate about when there is no actual football.

By September, we will all be focusing our thoughts on poor refereeing and cheating, etc...not about the physical abuse these guys are taking.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected cycling had most head trauma for kids under 14 at 85,000 cases then football at 46,000 baseball at 38,000, basketball, 34,000 soccer at 24 ,000, and hockey at 8,000 cases according to aans.org the association of neurological surgeons. Interesting, though I wonder what the percentage of these injuries vs. overall percentage of participation??

Edited by North Buffalo

Goodell's failure to acknowledge CTE in any meaningful way is what really needs to be discussed. No NFL dedicated testing, awareness campaigns, research or funding for afflicted ex-players. Plenty of time and money for breast cancer awareness and abused women, but not one penny of marketing promotions dedicated to the disease that directly afflicts the players as a result of the game itself.

The hypocrisy disgusts me. It would be like the military pretending PTSD didn't exist while promoting awareness of fibromyalgia. Goodell needs to get real with this disease, and start supporting the wounded warriors of the NFL whose lives are at real risk within a few years of retirement. THAT should be the fallout of this story.

I don't know why Goodell takes the rap for this when the NFLPA has all the power to effect change. Why can't their union do something for them? If changes are not made then there is a strike. I think the dirty finger of blame should be pointed directly at the union for their lack of effective action on player safety and caring for retired players. As far as I am concerned, that is the true hypocrisy here.

I stand corrected cycling had most head trauma for kids under 14 at 85,000 cases then football at 46,000 baseball at 38,000, basketball, 34,000 soccer at 24 ,000, and hockey at 8,000 cases according to aans.org the association of neurological surgeons. Interesting, though I wonder what the percentage of these injuries vs. overall percentage of participation??

And that's really what you need to look at, more of a per capita number. The actual numbers are meaningless due to so many more kids riding bikes than play tackle football.

Well, few people have jobs like Schefter anyway, so no change there.

I don't see any evidence of the decrease in the popularity of the NFL. For the most part, it seems to be "unpopular" in the off-season. As soon as week one rolls around, everyone can't get enough. Ratings are at an all time high, as are ad revenues. It's not clear to me how the concussion issue has or will put a noticable dent in any of this. It's just something we like to debate about when there is no actual football.

By September, we will all be focusing our thoughts on poor refereeing and cheating, etc...not about the physical abuse these guys are taking.

True enough. But the trend at least in the north is far fewer kids playing, which eventually should make the popularity go down when the old farts die off.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I think it's insane, especially after playing for FREE in college, to now to decide to give it all up. But I respect the **** out of it. His life. I doubt anyone with that good of a head on his shoulders (no pun intended) will have any problems finding a decent job. He won't be a millionaire, most likely, but I'm certain he considered that. Good for him.

The reality is, I am completely on board with him making the decision that is right for him. Football is a rough sport, wrought with potential danger and typically carries a long term toll. That being said, players are paid very well (vs median incomes) to compensate for that risk.

So, like military contractors who receive high(er) salaries to work in hostile environments, there is an upfront (not hidden) trade off. There is a reason that librarians and meter maids don't get 5-year, 25 million dollar contracts. But at the end of the day, it is his decision and I have no problem with his.

As far as playing for free in college, i have to disagree with that statement despite pop-culture belief to the contrary. Have you ever looked into the cost of sending your child to USC or OSU. If $160k to $250k over 4 years is free, I would like to work and go to school for "free". (by the way, that number is for a normal student....it does not include all of the private tutoring, nutritionist, trainers, and future life contacts that your typical scholly football athlete receives)

I simply feel that the education and opportunities given to a college athlete has real value. A guy who gets paid to play for 4 years in the minors (baseball or hockey) doesn't get near the compensation nor the advantages given to a college athlete. It isn't even a fair comparison.

I don't know why Goodell takes the rap for this when the NFLPA has all the power to effect change. Why can't their union do something for them? If changes are not made then there is a strike. I think the dirty finger of blame should be pointed directly at the union for their lack of effective action on player safety and caring for retired players. As far as I am concerned, that is the true hypocrisy here.

The league actually has made moves to reduce the problems. You get players like Rodney Harrison bitching about it. They tried to change helmets to a safer design and players didn't like the impact it had on their performance and thus their ability to get paid.

The NFLPA is the one that should be taking the blame. They have not simply put no effort into it, but they have actively pushed back against changes to help.

I simply feel that the education and opportunities given to a college athlete has real value. A guy who gets paid to play for 4 years in the minors (baseball or hockey) doesn't get near the compensation nor the advantages given to a college athlete. It isn't even a fair comparison.

I think they should just pay the players then charge them the normal rates that students pay. Sure, it will likely end up causing a number of lesser players to have to start paying, but who cares! Everything always works out how people say it will and the talking heads have decided that college players need to be paid!

I think you're being a bit unfair to Goodell. How can you expect him to deal with CTE when there are so many potential uniform violations and excessive end zone celebrations to police? I mean, once he starts to spend time dealing with a potential epidemic, the next thing you know players are going to start running rampant with non-Nike or (gasp!) unlicensed apparel.

NFLPA is equally to blame if not more; they have members hitting members and they protest the fines used to enforce the rules rather than trying to get NFL to protect players even more. They even protested requiring of additional safety gear.

It almost angers me knows he took a job from someone that actually wanted it. Make your decisions before you leave college, don't ruin another guys chances of being picked in at spot then just abruptly leave.

:thumbdown::sick:

Well, "realizing it's not what you wanted and deciding to change career paths" is a bit easier after you have first secured over a million bucks in a year from your employer...

It is not any difference than taking a job which pays your moving expenses but you have to repay it back if you leave voluntarily within a period of time. In my case it was a year but it specified from start of employment not when I moved my items so I waited until 11th month to load moving truck in case I changed my mind.

What if Clay with his front loaded contract with huge signing bonus decides to retire early? Veteran or rookie teams should be able to require this money be repaid but the problem is enforcing it especially when some go spend crazy when they get that big contract.

NFLPA is equally to blame if not more; they have members hitting members and they protest the fines used to enforce the rules rather than trying to get NFL to protect players even more. They even protested requiring of additional safety gear.

True the NFLPA shares blame. They haven't been known to push safety standards for helmets and other equipment because of the politics (Current players care more about fines for on and off field events and the off-field policing the NFL does). They also haven't shown that much interest in other safety issues because the current players don't show the interest and the current players drive the politics because they pay the dues.

Goodell's failure to acknowledge CTE in any meaningful way is what really needs to be discussed. No NFL dedicated testing, awareness campaigns, research or funding for afflicted ex-players. Plenty of time and money for breast cancer awareness and abused women, but not one penny of marketing promotions dedicated to the disease that directly afflicts the players as a result of the game itself.

The hypocrisy disgusts me. It would be like the military pretending PTSD didn't exist while promoting awareness of fibromyalgia. Goodell needs to get real with this disease, and start supporting the wounded warriors of the NFL whose lives are at real risk within a few years of retirement. THAT should be the fallout of this story.

What has the players union ever really done about concussions for the last few decades? Not much.

It is not any difference than taking a job which pays your moving expenses but you have to repay it back if you leave voluntarily within a period of time. In my case it was a year but it specified from start of employment not when I moved my items so I waited until 11th month to load moving truck in case I changed my mind.

What if Clay with his front loaded contract with huge signing bonus decides to retire early? Veteran or rookie teams should be able to require this money be repaid but the problem is enforcing it especially when some go spend crazy when they get that big contract.

Except he hasn't had to give back any money...

He signed a contract, broke the contract and walked away with a million dollars for several months of work.

I have no problem with that.

Except he hasn't had to give back any money...

He signed a contract, broke the contract and walked away with a million dollars for several months of work.

I have no problem with that.

Sounds like he learned about work from Wall Street... Not bad...

i just googled it and it looks like his dad owns the investment group so they must be of at least upper middle class if not wealthy. i'm sure there will be a job waiting for Chris in the finance world when he is ready

Nope, no different then it has been. Guys stop playing all the time, don't know why people are reporting it now... Oh wait I do b.c news is garbage anymore.

Edited by Beef Jerky

A lot of young guys all along have voluntarily quit playing in college and the NFL due to fears of their health down the road?

Huh, news to me.

This kid from Vandy was injured most of the season (his knee actually), was never going to play pro and is able to enter his chosen career starting with medical school instead? Yeah, there have been a ton of guys just like him lately...

i just googled it and it looks like his dad owns the investment group so they must be of at least upper middle class if not wealthy. i'm sure there will be a job waiting for Chris in the finance world when he is ready

This. He's got options and rather would not take the risk. Doesn't apply for a lot of players though, so it shouldn't become a trend. Maybe good players will make a pile and retire earlier than you'd think, but even then I doubt it would be that many.

He must be pretty convinced. I read that he would owe significant money back to SF from his signing bonus. After 1 year in the league, I'm sure he's not sitting on a pile of cash. Even if he banked it all,

the IRS got a bunch of it. I wonder how he'll afford the payment back to the 49ers. That was the big deal with Ricky Williams' un-retirement, IIRC. Miami went after his signing bonus.

This fact underscores the concern even further, I'm sure he knew in advance that he'd have to pay it back. What kind of message does it send now that two players turned down this level of money for longevity the NFL can't provide. Goddell's got to be shitting bricks about now.

This fact underscores the concern even further, I'm sure he knew in advance that he'd have to pay it back. What kind of message does it send now that two players turned down this level of money for longevity the NFL can't provide. Goddell's got to be shitting bricks about now.

Yeah I bet he's scared silly. Two players! The NFL's over! Done!

It almost angers me knows he took a job from someone that actually wanted it. Make your decisions before you leave college, don't ruin another guys chances of being picked in at spot then just abruptly leave.

Why would that anger you? Would you be angry at a guy who took a competitive job as a car salesman from someone else, decided he didn't like it and quit? Or a model? Or a movie star?

How is football different? And isn't his job available now? This goes on in every job in the world ... the best qualified win the jobs, and some of them keep going and others move along. It's how the world works.

Yea, make your decision before you enter the NFL. Give another player a chance to be drafted sooner.

Any idea how many times the average changes careers in their lives?

It ain't zero.

Edited by Thurman#1

I don't care as much about what adults do as what kids do. IF you're an adult and want to bash your head on a brick wall and get paid to do it, have at.

Youth football is the bigger worry. Concussions are bad but even lots of small blows are thought to lead to CTE. Kids should not be playing football and it's good that parents are finally getting that.

This, from a football lover. I don't know what the sport will looks like in 30 years but odds are it will be a lot different.

Nope, no different then it has been. Guys stop playing all the time, don't know why people are reporting it now... Oh wait I do b.c news is garbage anymore.

Guys have retired because of knee injuries all the time, mostly because they physically can't come back.

This concussion thing is new. When they didn't know about the effects of concussions, nobody retired because of this as long as the symptoms went away.

Edited by Thurman#1

This is quite an interesting idea. Rookie contract, don't take a signing bonus that would need to be paid back, quit, return as FA.

My understanding is that before you sign a contract you can indeed wait a year and get drafted again.

But once you sign a contract, everything changes. If you sign a contract and retire, that team still has your rights for the length of the contract if you come back. I remember Lance Briggs taking a year off, and though he didn't retire, his rights were still owned by the Bears.

Ricky Williams had to go back to the Dolphins after he retired and played in Canada, correct?

Am I wrong? Anyone?

Edited by Thurman#1

I originally wanted the Bills to draft Borland too. Another example of why I trust Whaley.

Why don't they put the padding on the helmets (I thought it was Kelso) like some players have done?

I trust him as well, but I doubt he had any idea Borland would retire after his rookie season. Again, the concussion last year scared him because it hadn't happened in awhile, and he's got options.

I originally wanted the Bills to draft Borland too. Another example of why I trust Whaley.

Why don't they put the padding on the helmets (I thought it was Kelso) like some players have done?

Because it isn't effective. There is all kinds of research being done to try and come up with a helmet that it safe. But the problem generally isn't the external object hitting the head causing the concussion. It is the brain hitting the inside of the head due to the sudden and quick stop caused by the hit. And that is difficult, if not impossible, to solve simply with a helmet.

Edited by CodeMonkey