Chris Borland retiring after rookie season with SF

frogger

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, is this is a bombshell story. Niners gonna be in the running for the top pick in '16. Total implosion of the organization since the midpoint of last season.

I think the discussion is more about a healthy player retiring after 1 season due to fear of the impact of the game rather than how bad the niners will be as a result

I think both are discussion worthy.

Lost their HC to a D3 JuCo criminal laden ugly wanna be college team.

Had some of their oldest players leave

Have a ton of money tied up in players that didn't produce in 2014

Now loss this guy?

Rough offseason

I think the discussion is more about a healthy player retiring after 1 season due to fear of the impact of the game rather than how bad the niners will be as a result

I think most people can manage to separate multiple angles of the same story, but I completely agree with your overall point. When I first saw the headline, I thought that he was already having complications from previous head injuries. For him to be a healthy guy (with a ton of promise) who is just looking out for himself in the long term is indeed stunning.

I think most people can manage to separate multiple angles of the same story, but I completely agree with your overall point. When I first saw the headline, I thought that he was already having complications from previous head injuries. For him to be a healthy guy (with a ton of promise) who is just looking out for himself in the long term is indeed stunning.

I just found it interesting that the majority of initial responses were regarding how this will effect the 49ers upcoming season

yep definitely two angles. There is indeed a max exodus of players from SF. And a 24 yr old guy who was one of the best rookies in the league last year hang it up so soon over head injury concerns. Jed York and Roger Goodell are both a little worried right now.

@PB_Number2: Prayers up for @ChrisDec26 !! #OhioBoys

Preston is from Cincy and Borland is from Dayton.

@ESPNNFL: Chris Borland said he had just 2 diagnosed concussions:

8th grade - playing soccer

Soph yr of HS - playing football. http://t.co/TVpAvsChIZ

Edited by YoloinOhio

Goodell's failure to acknowledge CTE in any meaningful way is what really needs to be discussed. No NFL dedicated testing, awareness campaigns, research or funding for afflicted ex-players. Plenty of time and money for breast cancer awareness and abused women, but not one penny of marketing promotions dedicated to the disease that directly afflicts the players as a result of the game itself.

The hypocrisy disgusts me. It would be like the military pretending PTSD didn't exist while promoting awareness of fibromyalgia. Goodell needs to get real with this disease, and start supporting the wounded warriors of the NFL whose lives are at real risk within a few years of retirement. THAT should be the fallout of this story.

He must be pretty convinced. I read that he would owe significant money back to SF from his signing bonus. After 1 year in the league, I'm sure he's not sitting on a pile of cash. Even if he banked it all,

the IRS got a bunch of it. I wonder how he'll afford the payment back to the 49ers. That was the big deal with Ricky Williams' un-retirement, IIRC. Miami went after his signing bonus.

Lost their HC to a D3 JuCo criminal laden ugly wanna be college team.

Had some of their oldest players leave

Have a ton of money tied up in players that didn't produce in 2014

Now loss this guy?

Rough offseason

:censored: you

GO BLUE!!!

Edited by Mark Vader

yep definitely two angles. There is indeed a max exodus of players from SF. And a 24 yr old guy who was one of the best rookies in the league last year hang it up so soon over head injury concerns. Jed York and Roger Goodell are both a little worried right now.

@PB_Number2: Prayers up for @ChrisDec26 !! #OhioBoys

Preston is from Cincy and Borland is from Dayton.

@ESPNNFL: Chris Borland said he had just 2 diagnosed concussions:

8th grade - playing soccer

Soph yr of HS - playing football. http://t.co/TVpAvsChIZ

"just"

Goodell's failure to acknowledge CTE in any meaningful way is what really needs to be discussed. . . . Goodell needs to get real with this disease, . . .THAT should be the fallout of this story.

No.

When I read on PFT that he retired, my first thought was "why walk away from the money? Play one more year to feather your retirement nest egg, like Orton."

My second thought was, the NFL is in very very serious trouble. The game I love is in serious trouble.

Help.

No.

When I read on PFT that he retired, my first thought was "why walk away from the money? Play one more year to feather your retirement nest egg, like Orton."

My second thought was, the NFL is in very very serious trouble. The game I love is in serious trouble.

Help.

Indeed. It looks like this is the beginning of many players walking away from the game.

What a shocker this is. I wish Borland the best.

Goodell's failure to acknowledge CTE in any meaningful way is what really needs to be discussed. No NFL dedicated testing, awareness campaigns, research or funding for afflicted ex-players. Plenty of time and money for breast cancer awareness and abused women, but not one penny of marketing promotions dedicated to the disease that directly afflicts the players as a result of the game itself.

The hypocrisy disgusts me. It would be like the military pretending PTSD didn't exist while promoting awareness of fibromyalgia. Goodell needs to get real with this disease, and start supporting the wounded warriors of the NFL whose lives are at real risk within a few years of retirement. THAT should be the fallout of this story.

BEST POST EVER - On this board anyway.

Indeed. It looks like this is the beginning of many players walking away from the game.

What a shocker this is. I wish Borland the best.

I'm pretty sure that there were a good number of mock drafts showing Buffalo taking Borland. Imagine our shock if it was Preston Brown retiring instead!

I think you're being a bit unfair to Goodell. How can you expect him to deal with CTE when there are so many potential uniform violations and excessive end zone celebrations to police? I mean, once he starts to spend time dealing with a potential epidemic, the next thing you know players are going to start running rampant with non-Nike or (gasp!) unlicensed apparel.

This is all about rookie contracts. If you are a top end performer, your rookie contract may not justify risks.

The best way to deal with it is to leave, and hold the NFL accountable citing CTE.

If you actually do want to play, come back the following year as a FA. In the meanwhile it pressures the NFL to change the contract structure.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I applaud his decision. I can't imagine most people would be willing to work a job at his or any pay level that put you at over a 1/4 risk of CTE. It feels like many people envy these guys, but what good is money if you don't have you wits? Can you imagine living like a time bomb, never knowing if you will be among that group of CTE victims?

Concussions are no joke. I respect Chris' decision. It's a tough but smart decision. A lot of players are going to take this route. I spoke with Chris Nowinski of the sports legacy Institute after a distant relative took his life due to complications with CTE. It is a serious problem that most football players will end up with.

After speaking with Mr. Nowinski I wouldn't let my kids play football unless something changes in head safety. From how I feel everyday and understanding how a lot of NFL and former college players feel everyday it's scary and I do not blame them for retiring early. (But I do feel they are compensated well for these reasons and it is a risk that they sign up for)

So, what can be done for prevention? No easy answers, but I think if you went back to leather helmets you'd drastically reduce the number of concussions. As a former HS and college linebacker, let me tell you that my bell was rung to the point of feeling brain tingles nearly every practice and game. Never was KO'd, but the repetitive shots from all those years of head collisions had to take some toll. I can't imagine the toll it must take on the brains of NFL players.

You don't launch with your head, or get hit by a player launching with his head, when the hard shell battering ram strapped to your noggin is replaced by leather. Look at rugby and Australian rules football for examples of contact sports with no helmets that have extremely low rates of brain injury.

So, what can be done for prevention? No easy answers, but I think if you went back to leather helmets you'd drastically reduce the number of concussions. As a former HS and college linebacker, let me tell you that my bell was rung to the point of feeling brain tingles nearly every practice and game. Never was KO'd, but the repetitive shots from all those years of head collisions had to take some toll. I can't imagine the toll it must take on the brains of NFL players.

You don't launch with your head, or get hit by a player launching with his head, when the hard shell battering ram strapped to your noggin is replaced by leather. Look at rugby and Australian rules football for examples of contact sports with no helmets that have extremely low rates of brain injury.

The popularity of the league is because it's become a "gladiator event". Remove the helmet, and the large majority of the fan base, who only signed up because they like to watch car crashes, stop spending their dollars.

That's the NFL's catch 22.

They'll ride it out until either the insurance gets too expensive, lawsuits sink them, or until the feeder systems dry up.

It's coming.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

No.

Help.

Agreed completely. This is an absolutely huge deal- definitely has the feel of historical significance. As I read the article I couldn't help but think that this is something I would remember reading years from now, kind of like this could be the beginning of the end.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

WOW the 9ers are an absolute disaster right now.

Can you imagine what this board would be doing if Kyle Williams decided to retire AND THEN Dareus did too a few days later?!?!

I wonder if they'd be any more willing to trade away Kaep now, since they will be in tank/rebuild mode for at least the next few years.