Bills to trade Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

CNY315

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the national responses makes me feel even better. A lot of people viewing it as Chip not getting along with Shady, dumping one of Roseman's picks, believing he can plug any RB and just getting another Oregon player.

We all love Kiko. Dude plays like his hair is lit on fire all the time. But I don't know how people can't have concerns about his knees and he's not big enough to play outside or inside in a true 3-4 like Rex wants to run. It's shocking to see him gone, but we just added LeSean McCoy without losing anyone off last year's team. That's a win.

Thoughts:

1. I don't like it. $12 million would be better applied elsewhere.

2. I don't hate it. Kiko: 2 knee surgeries. Loved watching him, but 2 knee surgeries. We don't know the entire story -- are the Bills wondering about his health? Is Rex wondering whether he fits in his D? Some breakout guys like this have turned out to have PED issues behind that breakout. Not saying Kiko did. Just saying we don't know.

3. We also don't know the full plan for 2015. What I do like: no fear. The typical response to our "up and coming" 9-7 season would be "add a guard (or two). Hope EJ gets it, or maybe sign a McCown as insurance. Don't let any of our performers go -- Hughes, Kiko, Sammy, Dareus -- they've all got to stay. They're the core. Untouchables. A little tweak here and may get us to 10-6 and just over the hump." There's no playing it safe here. Rex and Doug will sink or swim and it'll happen fast. It shows guts. Sometimes guts and stupidity are joined at the hip, but still ... it shows guts.

^^ This

Anyone on here trying to down-play Kiko's pure instinctual football talent is insane and/or ignorant. The guy is a football player. An exceptional linebacker. The guy always seems to be around the ball, and has a knack for making plays. That said, he does have his shortcomings. While a sure tackler, he sometimes get overpowered by bigger backs/blockers. Also...two ACL injuries on the same leg? Complete knee ligament reconstruction? Let's say I had my worries about his longevity.

I think good trade, overall.

Different legs. He's now torn both

Basically an even trade for both teams in which the drop off from what they gave up is less than the benefit from what they gain. Both teams traded from their strength to improve their weakness. Sounds like a pretty reasonable trade to me.

Kiko was our answer to Gronk. Now what?

I am in complete favor of the trade...but very good point....the Pats had Hernandez and Gronkowski when Alonso was drafted. Alonso is fantastic at coverage of the TE, this skill will be missed. Have to trust that Rex will have a plan on this.

Basically an even trade for both teams in which the drop off from what they gave up is less than the benefit from what they gain. Both teams traded from their strength to improve their weakness. Sounds like a pretty reasonable trade to me.

Agree. The only thing I did not like was that we gave up our 2nd Rd pick (Kiko), and effectively a Top-10 Pick (Spiller) for a Veteran Running Back. Whaley and Rex want to win now. Kiko became expendable with emergence of Preston Brown. Spiller's injury last year put a lid on this team. Rex is a Run-first guy. I think he got a great player.

The Eagles will gain the upper-hand if they can sign Spiller to a moderate FA contract. Spiller could succeed in Kelly's system.

Edited by ganesh

It's not 12, it's 9 and change.

I think you've been slightly low in your framing the numbers -- it's salary of 9.75, 6.9 and 7.6, with this year having an additional 500k in roster/workout bonuses and 250k each of the next two years. So 10.25, 7.15 and 7.85 are the numbers Edited by NoSaint

Meanwhile, from the Eagles perspective: seems that it's a pretty popular deal on the Eagles sites. From a football perspective, it tells me that Chip Kelly is going all in on the Oregon Ducks East concept. I wouldn't be shocked if he sold the farm for Mariota. And I don't think this is going to end well for the Eagles.

I think you've been slightly low in your framing the numbers -- it's salary of 9.75, 6.9 and 7.6, with this year having an additional 500k in roster/workout bonuses and 250k each of the next two years. So 10.25, 7.15 and 7.85 are the numbers

:beer: I trust your numbers way more than mine.

Everyone on every channel is saying all the Eagles got was a LB who had a bum knee last season and that is was crazy that they received no draft picks, "What is Chip Kelly thinking?" The Bills fans are all thinking Whaley is an idiot. I am hearing things from Bills fans like we had a superstar and that we are getting a player on the decline. Since when do we deem players superstars after 1 season. In my opinion his play tailored the last 1/3 of the season and then he got hurt. I am not 100% but I think he had surgery on his knee in college too. I get that many fans fall in love with players but we still have a top rated defense and our offense which was pitiful just improved considerably. We landed the superstar!!! Even if we only get 3 or 4 years out of him I would do this trade all day long. I am glad Whaley doesn't listen to fans and their hearts. He made a great move and this should be just the boost we need to make the playoffs. If Mccoy was here last season we would have been a playoff team even with Orten. Now lets get Locklear and let him battle with EJ for the job. I'm ready for some playoffs. excited!!!

It's because they like the legend of kiko crap. People are obsessed with kiko for this reason. All he really did was have a great start to his rookie year then he tailed off considerably and missed all of last year.

Anyone with any football knowledge whatsoever knows that a premiere running back has a better chance of taking over a game than a linebacker. Our defense didn't miss him last year. It is a great trade.

It is clear that Roman wants a great running back for his offense. He leaned on gore for all those years.

Truthfully, I think we could see Freddy gone. I hate to say it but it could be true. He counts $2.4M against the cap with no dead money, and he's 34.

I was not kidding earlier when I said Freddy was working out at LA fitness in Orchard Park today. Whether or not this has any meaning is beyond me... But I saw him there lifting.

Season Team Games Rushing Receiving Fumbles

GP GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost

2009 Philadelphia Eagles 16 4 155 637 4.1 66T 4 40 308 7.7 45 0 2 1

2010 Philadelphia Eagles 15 13 207 1080 5.2 62 7 78 592 7.6 40 2 2 1

2011 Philadelphia Eagles 15 15 273 1309 4.8 60 17 48 315 6.6 26 3 1 1

2012 Philadelphia Eagles 12 12 200 840 4.2 34 2 54 373 6.9 36 3 4 3

2013 Philadelphia Eagles 16 16 314 1607 5.1 57T 9 52 539 10.4 70 2 1 1

2014 Philadelphia Eagles 16 16 312 1319 4.2 53 5 28 155 5.5 18 0 4 3

Total 90 76 1461 6,792 4.6 66T 44 300 2,282 7.6 70 10 14 10

Stats lie, but at least hes on the field unlike FredEx and CJ and thats the truth!

Another way to frame it- kiko is safer while McCoy is boom or bust.

An all pro McCoy is way more upside than kiko even with some extra mid tier free agents. He can strap a unit on his back and carry the whole offense.

But if McCoy gets a high ankle sprain week 3 we may never see returns as he ages. Kiko, even with an injury, we get a couple of years of decent play and diversify the risk with those other free agents contributing something too

He said it the right way though, talking about how he's a Pennsylvania kid ... not about how he's dreading the idea of moving to Buffalo ...

Well the Amherst guy Gronk has no problem sticking it to Bills every year, and Daryl Johnston of Youngstown was on a cowboys teams that took two Super Bowls from us. I think this is where Rex's style will be good at smoothing things over

Edited by JTSP

I was not kidding earlier when I said Freddy was working out at LA fitness in Orchard Park today. Whether or not this has any meaning is beyond me... But I saw him there lifting.

You've mentioned it a few times- what possible meaning could you be implying, honestly?

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago

Kiko Alonso will be 9th player from Oregon on Eagles' roster, and all 9 played under Chip Kelly at some point during their college careers.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago

From Week 5-17 last season, LeSean McCoy ranked 2nd behind only rushing champion DeMarco Murray (1,311) in total rush yds with 1,127.

Another way to frame it- kiko is safer while McCoy is boom or bust.

An all pro McCoy is way more upside than kiko even with some extra mid tier free agents. He can strap a unit on his back and carry the whole offense.

But if McCoy gets a high ankle sprain week 3 we may never see returns as he ages. Kiko, even with an injury, we get a couple of years of decent play and diversify the risk with those other free agents contributing something too

I see it the exact opposite way. Kiko is boom bust. He has had both knees repaired and there is no guarantee that he will still have the same explosiveness. McCoy is a known quantity. I don't get how a high ankle sprain knocks McCoy out for good but there is no such scenario for Kiko in your hypothetical. Kiko may flame out completely and never return to form while that specter is not hanging over McCoy's head.

Who knows what happens especially with the fickle nature of injuries but to this point it is inarguable that McCoy has shown much more in the NFL than Kiko.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago

Kiko Alonso will be 9th player from Oregon on Eagles' roster, and all 9 played under Chip Kelly at some point during their college careers.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago

From Week 5-17 last season, LeSean McCoy ranked 2nd behind only rushing champion DeMarco Murray (1,311) in total rush yds with 1,127.

And it is worth noting that he entered the season with a turf toe injury. Certainly COULD explain the slow start.