Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

McCown chose the longer term, higher paying contract.

We made a run at him, just couldn't close.

Plenty of other options, this one fell through, no worries.

I believe they were offering a similar deal to Orton. 5.2 with a second year option.

IMO

So, we still cutting EJ now?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCown chose the longer term, higher paying contract.

We made a run at him, just couldn't close.

Plenty of other options, this one fell through, no worries.

I believe they were offering a similar deal to Orton. 5.2 with a second year option.

IMO

Leroi,

Thanks for stopping back by.

Do you think this changes their thinking with EJ Manuel and the cutting of him you heard about?

These qbs are so close in talent that doesnt really upset me about losing out on Mcowan.......who do you hear is the next qb they would be looking at?

source for rumor?

From comment on ESPN: "Brilliant signing by the Browns. Josh McCown brings everything the Browns desire at QB: admirable mediocrity, a Caucasian name

What the hell is "a Caucasian name"? Something like Geno Smith, Vince Young, Fred Jackson, or Jerry Hughes?

Did I miss something? Are the Browns racists?

Edited by reddogblitz

@MaryKayCabot: #browns josh Mccown deal: 3 years 14 million, up to $20 million, $6.25 fully guaranteed, year 1 $5.25 fully guaranteed.

@JasonLaCanfora: McCown ends up with same salary he would have had in Tampa, except now it's fully guaranteed, with an additional $1M in guarantees as well

@JasonLaCanfora: McCown can earn an additional $2M per year if team reaches playoffs and he hits playing time bonuses along the way.

On behalf of FireChan, you're not allowed to care about salary implications regarding Josh McCown. It doesn't matter, in any capacity.

What the hell is "a Caucasian name"? Something like Geno Smith, Vince Young, Fred Jackson, or Jerry Hughes?

Obviously, they are very serious about race, as illustrated by that very non joking post

I have no clue. Nah, it was just a snarky comment by an ESPN reader, I thought it was funny more for the "brilliant signing....admirable mediocrity" snark.

I 'spose the McCown part sounds Scots or something, was the guys notion, but it has nothing to do with ESPN or the Browns.

@ProFootballWire: #NFL Josh McCown: I get people thinking Im not good enough to start http://t.co/JFUia2V7qi

I liked the not-so-subtle comment on the Tampa organization:

"When I’ve been able to operate in a system that’s organized and been around for awhile like I did in 2013 with the Bears, I’ve been able to play at a high level"

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhh.

"When Ive been able to operate in a system thats organized and been around for awhile like I did in 2013 with the Bears, Ive been able to play at a high level"

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhh.

well he really was in a bad situation there when Tedford left right before the season and they didn't replace him. They called the QB coach, who had no previous nfl experience, the "interim OC" but reportedly mccown half coordinated the offense all season. And you know Lovie wasn't involved. So I'm sure that was a factor. But that doesn't explain the other 11 years or so!

well he really was in a bad situation there when Tedford left right before the season and they didn't replace him. They called the QB coach, who had no previous nfl experience, the "interim OC" but reportedly mccown half coordinated the offense all season. And you know Lovie wasn't involved. So I'm sure that was a factor. But that doesn't explain the other 11 years or so!

i hope you were not insulted by Josh not taking us to the Prom?

oh and yes he kinda sucks.

and we are kinda screwed

but man thats a lot of guaranteedmoney the Browns put down . and before FA even ! smacks of desperation.

and Bills almost, almost looked as bad and needy. which we are. But never show it !

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/12075/still-scratching-my-head-over-the-browns-signing-josh-mccown?src=mobile&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2F7EbMKLob4d%22%7D

Interesting story filed by ESPN Browns beat writer Pat McManamon. An excerpt or two:

Ponder the chronology: Ray Farmer drafts Johnny Manziel. Brian Hoyer barely wins the job out of training camp, then holds onto it by playing well early. Eventually he leads the Browns to a 7-4 record. Farmer, though, sends in-game texts to assistant coaches as early as the New Orleans game. It was the second game of the season and a win for the Browns. He continues to text during games throughout the season, some of it about the quarterback play, and only acknowledges his mistake after the season when the texting becomes public. Farmer clearly was part of the front office effort that undermined Hoyer, and had him playing while wearing a straightjacket. The more Hoyer learned the front office was not supportive, the more he pressed. So the guy who undermined Hoyer by texting during games winds up, with the full support of the owner, ushering Hoyer out of town and signing a 35-year-old to replace him.

The Browns seem to be the only team that believes Manziel and McCown can be a starter. Buffalo was negotiating, but not to the effort the Browns did. What the Browns saw that 31 other teams did not is open to question. Though the draft could reduce the fuzziness, at this point it seems like Farmer simply did not want Hoyer. When McCown became available he became the most attractive quarterback to Farmer who wasn’t Hoyer. Signing a 35-year-old who went 1-10 a year ago, a guy much of the league felt was more ready to be a Matt Hasselbeck type backup than a starter, shows little long-term thinking. It seems more like the Browns are making it up as they go.

"When I’ve been able to operate in a system that’s organized and been around for awhile like I did in 2013 with the Bears, I’ve been able to play at a high level"

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhh.

Too bad for McCown his new system is not organized nor been around awhile.

...and then McCown chose the Factory of Sadness with the most dysfunctional front office in the league. Clearly, this was about the $$ -- don't let anyone persuade you otherwise.

...and then McCown chose the Factory of Sadness with the most dysfunctional front office in the league. Clearly, this was about the $$ -- don't let anyone persuade you otherwise.

and about getting a chance to start because Johnny Futballs rehab issue.

IMO

It sounds like there are a few reasons why the Browns fought to sign him. First, Hoyer can't come back. Pettine wants him, but has no say. Second, they didn't think they could get a Locker or Sanchez to sign there because they have no WRs or TEs. That could change in FA and draft but if won't happen quickly enough to sign either of those guys. Third, they need to see manziel play more than 2 games to know whether they should stick it out another year with him. If he's sober, he'll get a chance to start. Mccown is fine being a mentor/backup.

So glad he didn't sign here.