Jets, Bills to pursue Revis (Update-Signed with Jets)

YoloinOhio

See my edited post above. It's what I'd call a long-term trend that transcends individual coaches (of which there have been many).

Plenty of coaches, and plenty of QB's. Put Brady or Brees in there and things magically improve. Has anyone mentioned we could use an upgrade at QB? I may have heard that somewhere...

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we get Revis we likely lose McKelvin, hopefully via the trade route. Even if we do not pick up what he is worth. But if we sign Revis to a 15m deal and lose McLuvin's 5, that's like paying Revis 10. And that's a bargain. Rex can manufacture pressure that losing Hughes will require. You can't manufacture blanket coverage. Revis. Gilmore, Graham and Robey in the slot would be ridiculous. And we would still have a lot of money for a OG and TE and veteran QB.

If we get Revis we likely lose McKelvin, hopefully via the trade route. Even if we do not pick up what he is worth. But if we sign Revis to a 15m deal and lose McLuvin's 5, that's like paying Revis 10. And that's a bargain. Rex can manufacture pressure that losing Hughes will require. You can't manufacture blanket coverage. Revis. Gilmore, Graham and Robey in the slot would be ridiculous. And we would still have a lot of money for a OG and TE and veteran QB.

Don't you have to pay the salary of the trade player for the season he is traded? Or just the guaranteed?

Don't you have to pay the salary of the trade player for the season he is traded? Or just the guaranteed?

No, of course not. The team he is traded to pays him. You don't even pay the guaranteed money, if there is any left, if the other team picks up the contract. It's not a bad contract at all. You might have to take a small cap hit on McKelvin from his bonus money but I don't recall the bonus being all that big.

Did you read the story?

What I understand is it's a domestic dispute, he didn't kill her did he? No. Was she afraid for her life yes. Now if the NFL let's him come back I think that's enough for me. Maybe he learned his lesson. Maybe the Pats pk him up and he becomes man of the yr. So if we pk him up for cheap on a 1 yr deal I think it's worth the risk.

I would like to know (and will probably not find out till the season starts) how much of that bad offense is coaching.......

Zac...I am not beating up your post at all....but are you suggesting that our defense wouldnt like to play with a Revis?

I mean...just think about it for a minute.....your talking about a player that literally shuts down the other teams best WR.....doesnt matter who it is.....every game. Leaving Gilmore to shut down the number 2 guys.....leaving our 3rd best corner (who is starter quality) to cover the 3rd best and on an on.

For many of these offenses its a passing league....you cant pass if no one is open.

Hughes has done a fine job ressurecting his career in Buffalo given he was riding the bench with the colts......I love him as a player.....but not at the expense of an absolute game changer on defense.

The other thing to consider is this is a Rex Ryan defense.....corners are gonna have to hold their coverage and QB pressure comes from exotic blitz schemes.......having a pure pass rusher like Hughes suddenly is not as big of a need.

No, i'm sure they would like to play with Revis, but maybe not at the expense of their friend and teammate not getting paid and leaving.

I would like to know (and will probably not find out till the season starts) how much of that bad offense is coaching.......

Zac...I am not beating up your post at all....but are you suggesting that our defense wouldnt like to play with a Revis?

I mean...just think about it for a minute.....your talking about a player that literally shuts down the other teams best WR.....doesnt matter who it is.....every game. Leaving Gilmore to shut down the number 2 guys.....leaving our 3rd best corner (who is starter quality) to cover the 3rd best and on an on.

For many of these offenses its a passing league....you cant pass if no one is open.

Hughes has done a fine job ressurecting his career in Buffalo given he was riding the bench with the colts......I love him as a player.....but not at the expense of an absolute game changer on defense.

The other thing to consider is this is a Rex Ryan defense.....corners are gonna have to hold their coverage and QB pressure comes from exotic blitz schemes.......having a pure pass rusher like Hughes suddenly is not as big of a need.

I'm on the Hughes over Revis bandwagon. As far as the bolded part, that sounds like you're talking about Jerry. He's a total game changer and causes havoc for offenses. He rips the football away from people and takes in in the EZ (Clowns game) along with huge sacks. He gets the other guys fired up with his monstrous play. The dude is a freakin' monster. If Jerry leaves he leaves a big hole. I have heard Lawson's name as his replacement. LOL. Dude single handedly cost us the KC game by not staying home on the 2 TD runs. HUGE dropoff.

I understand the shut down corner thing, but if you have a guy that rushes the passer like Jerry does, your CBs don't have to be of the shut down variety. We were 3rd against the pass last year with the guys we got.

Our offense needs to get a lot better for us to compete. I would prefer to not get Rivas, resign Jerry, and concentrate on the O. Over pay for Iupati, a young pro bowl Guard who has played for Roman. Do whatever you can at QB. Improve the RB position. Improve the TE position. Get more Oline help.

We've been going heavy on D since 2010 and it has worked in that now we have a great D. Now it's time to concentrate on getting the O up to snuff.

As far as Rex' D NEEDING a shut down corner, I've heard Rex say several time that he will use the guys he HAS to have a strong D. I believe him.

Edited by reddogblitz

I'm on the Hughes over Revis bandwagon. As far as the bolded part, that sounds like you're talking about Jerry. He's a total game changer and causes havoc for offenses. He rips the football away from people and takes in in the EZ (Clowns game) along with huge sacks. He gets the other guys fired up with his monstrous play. The dude is a freakin' monster. If Jerry leaves he leaves a big hole. I have heard Lawson's name as his replacement. LOL. Dude single handedly cost us the KC game by not staying home on the 2 TD runs. HUGE dropoff.

I understand the shut down corner thing, but if you have a guy that rushes the passer like Jerry does, your CBs don't have to be of the shut down variety. We were 3rd against the pass last year with the guys we got.

Our offense needs to get a lot better for us to compete. I would prefer to not get Rivas, resign Jerry, and concentrate on the O. Over pay for Iupati, a young pro bowl Guard who has played for Roman. Do whatever you can at QB. Improve the RB position. Improve the TE position. Get more Oline help.

We've been going heavy on D since 2010 and it has worked in that now we have a great D. Now it's time to concentrate on getting the O up to snuff.

As far as Rex' D NEEDING a shut down corner, I've heard Rex say several time that he will use the guys he HAS to have a strong D. I believe him.

Lets be real here.....

Hughes is a fine player

but he plays next to 3 guys who are pro bowl quality players year in year out......he FEEDS off that and he does his job and makes great plays.

Do you honestly think Hughes does this if he is playing with a sub par DL?

Revis is on another level

No, of course not. The team he is traded to pays him. You don't even pay the guaranteed money, if there is any left, if the other team picks up the contract. It's not a bad contract at all. You might have to take a small cap hit on McKelvin from his bonus money but I don't recall the bonus being all that big.

That's what I was thinking, you take a cap hit on the guaranteed.

At that point though, since the cap savings on McKelvin would be 2.9 million, retaining him would be like signing him for $2.9 million. Wouldn't he still be worth that, even as a #3?

Edited by Rob's House

At that point though, since the cap savings on McKelvin would be 2.9 million, retaining him would be like signing him for $2.9 million. Wouldn't he still be worth that, even as a #3?

It depends on if you think he is significantly better than Graham, plus what you may be able to get for him in a trade, plus the cap hit of two mil can be amortized over 2 years so it would be cap savings of 3.9 each of the two years.

With that 3 m you could probably get most of Spiller if you want. Or cut Urbik and get a 6m OG to replace him. I'm not sure you want to spend 3m on a #4 CB (even if you play him instead of Graham then you are putting Graham at #4 who gets paid more than that.

We have plenty of cap space, it just depends on how many new guys they want to bring in. And how many of the second level FA they want to re-sign like Spikes, Searcy, etc.

My fear is that we let Hughes walk because we think we have a shot at Revis. Then Revis turns around and resigns with the Pats and we don't end up with either. Could happen and that's what worries me here. A Hughes in the hand is worth a Revis in the bush!?

!@#$ that ****. With no significant cap space on offense to weigh us down, let's go balls out and sign both Revis and Hughes.

What I understand is it's a domestic dispute, he didn't kill her did he? No. Was she afraid for her life yes. Maybe the Pats pk him up and he becomes man of the yr.

Can we just... I'm having a tough time following this logic. Especially the first two sentences. It's seemingly okay for her to fear for her life at any given point in time. Yeah, Greg Hardy isn't that bad. Those cheating Patsies are going to make him an All-Pro!!!!! Jokes on them, we're going to sign him to a 6 year deal!!!! Ha take that Belicheat!

I agree completely about Revis's awesome talent level, but I will say that the Bills are in pretty good shape at the CB position. Gilmore was playing like an all-pro late in the season, and Corey Graham is clearly capable of playing man effectively. Toss in a talented vet (albeit an uneven one) like McKelvin, who can run with just about anyone (the bills' version of Cromartie), and I think the Bills are reasonably set at the position for this type of defense. Robey is an OK fourth, although I don't think he's as good as I think he is (if that makes any sense). I think that they need another CB, but a solid #2 who can play man would be my rec in FA.

Any thoughts on Brandon Flowers? (Admittedly my Hokie biased side hopes we sign Flowers, Royal, Vick, and Tyrod Taylor)

What I understand is it's a domestic dispute, he didn't kill her did he? No. Was she afraid for her life yes. Now if the NFL let's him come back I think that's enough for me. Maybe he learned his lesson. Maybe the Pats pk him up and he becomes man of the yr. So if we pk him up for cheap on a 1 yr deal I think it's worth the risk.

She claimed to have been thrown in the tub, thrown on a pile of guns, and choked out to the point of almost death. But when she went to the hospital the only visible injury was a broken toenail which she admitted was from when she was kicking his bentley at the club that night. I find it hard to believe if a 6-6 guy is throwing you around like that you dont have any injuries. Funny thing was I was standing at a bar a few weeks after this happened and who is next to me? Hardy. I talked to him for like a half hour while we watched the 4pm games and he mentioned a couple times he'd love to play on a line with mario dareus and kyle. He came off well spoken and very nice.

Any thoughts on Brandon Flowers? (Admittedly my Hokie biased side hopes we sign Flowers, Royal, Vick, and Tyrod Taylor)

Why is it always full name "Tyrod Taylor?" You named 4 guys but only did his full name..........Every game I saw or listened to with him, the play by play guy would be "and Tyrod Taylor tucks it in and takes off. Tyrod Taylor back to pass." It drove me nuts. Can it ever be just Taylor??

Just based on that, I don't want him!!

Why is it always full name "Tyrod Taylor?" You named 4 guys but only did his full name..........Every game I saw or listened to with him, the play by play guy would be "and Tyrod Taylor tucks it in and takes off. Tyrod Taylor back to pass." It drove me nuts. Can it ever be just Taylor??

Just based on that, I don't want him!!

I used his full name for 2 reasons, 1) Taylor is far more common of a last name than Flowers, Royal (probably 2nd most common in the group), and Vick, and 2) of the 4 players he is the one I expect the least people to know, especially by last name only, since he hasn't really seen the field since college

Does the Defense really need to dish out big $ for Revis? Will he make the D that much better?

I'd rather they invest in the guys currently on the roster and do what they can to solidify the Offense (OL or a solid TE)

I think Revis would make the Bills better because of the defensive scheme you will be running. If you were looking to add him to the Schwartz defense, I would say he isn't worth it.

I think Revis would make the Bills better because of the defensive scheme you will be running. If you were looking to add him to the Schwartz defense, I would say he isn't worth it.

I also think there are little things that Gilmore could pick up from playing with a Revis caliber corner that would push him in his development

hey now..... lets not get any ideas. besides I don't want Johnny Rehab.

I don't know about getting pick 19 back but I could see them wanting Leo. Pettine is a CB-lover and has real issues with Gilbert. Buster Skrine is a FA. Haden is a GREAT CB imo but I could see them wanting to go with Haden, Leo, Skrine if they can sign him because they can't depend on Gilbert progressing/getting his act together. They need to have good corners to compete in that division. I could also see them being interested in EJ because right now all they have is Connor Shaw.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't know about getting pick 19 back but I could see them wanting Leo. Pettine is a CB-lover and has real issues with Gilbert. Buster Skrine is a FA. Haden is a GREAT CB imo but I could see them wanting to go with Haden, Leo, Skrine if they can sign him because they can't depend on Gilbert progressing/getting his act together. They need to have good corners to compete in that division. I could also see them being interested in EJ because right now all they have is Connor Shaw.

I could part with McLovin and CJ in a trade. Like it or not EJ is the best QB the Bills have and the prospects out there are not great.

I'd rather have the devil you know than the one you don't.

I could part with McLovin and CJ in a trade. Like it or not EJ is the best QB the Bills have and the prospects out there are not great.

I'd rather have the devil you know than the one you don't.

CJ is a FA.

It doesn't sound like EJ is in their plans based on the tea leaves. The stuff Massare is saying and the comments from the staff. I'd be REALLY surprised if he was the starting QB next year (barring an injury).

CJ is a FA.

It doesn't sound like EJ is in their plans based on the tea leaves. The stuff Massare is saying and the comments from the staff. I'd be REALLY surprised if he was the starting QB next year (barring an injury).

I don't think the team knows yet who they are going to get, only who they are going after, which is going to be virtually anyone and everyone.

Unless it's a stud and clear starter, I think they go into the OTAs and training camp with an open battle. If it's a guy like RG3, he is going to have to beat EJ out, and I guess likely will. But he might not. If it's a guy like Matt Moore I think it's an open fight. I have very good reason to believe they are going after some big names, but a lot of stuff has to happen for it to become a reality. If it's Bradford, EJ is not starting. But if it's a middling guy, or a guy with a lot of ?, he is going to have to beat EJ out. If he;s any good, he will. But I think EJ is going to surprise people in pre-season. It's the real games where the proof will lie.

I don't think the team knows yet who they are going to get, only who they are going after, which is going to be virtually anyone and everyone.

Unless it's a stud and clear starter, I think they go into the OTAs and training camp with an open battle. If it's a guy like RG3, he is going to have to beat EJ out, and I guess likely will. But he might not. If it's a guy like Matt Moore I think it's an open fight. I have very good reason to believe they are going after some big names, but a lot of stuff has to happen for it to become a reality. If it's Bradford, EJ is not starting. But if it's a middling guy, or a guy with a lot of ?, he is going to have to beat EJ out. If he;s any good, he will. But I think EJ is going to surprise people in pre-season. It's the real games where the proof will lie.

I guess I could see them doing both trading for RG AND bringing in a stable vet like Moore. It depends on how this staff views EJ on that. They are absolutely going after a new starting QB it's just a matter of what they find.

I agree that if it is a Hoyer or Moore than EJ will have a shot to compete. I just don't get the impression that is their plan A. They are going to try to get a guy with some question marks and a lot of upside. I don't see it as a guy in the draft either.