Jets, Bills to pursue Revis (Update-Signed with Jets)

YoloinOhio

You were wondering what the point of Rex Ryan was. I told you. He's here because he's a good head coach. If his presence helps bring in great players, even better.

Yeah, that he's a good HC. That's an interesting take. Haven't really seen that.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps all this Revis talk is just that, to perhaps drive up his price for whoever ultimately pays it, be it the Pat* or the Jets?

Personally, I'd consider him if he comes at a reasonable price, but that's very unlikely, so I'd hope we spend our FA money elsewhere where we have real needs--like at G, TE or QB (if Bradford becomes available). I figure we can get a new RB to replace CJ in the draft if we can fill the other holes.

Bills secondary is pretty good already. don't need a megabuck CB signing. Get Hughes back if Rex knows what to do with him (I have my doubts about that since Pettine only used Hughes in spot substitution/pass rush situations) That is, does Hughes fit the Ryan system??? Anyhow, back to Revis....this guy has BAD attitude as we witnessed in NY . I would hate to see this Jets drama moved to Buffalo. So, the guy is poison from my perspective, don't want him in the locker room. And, as a former HATED member of the Jets, hard to believe the Pegula's would be so tone deaf from a marketing point of view as to bring him to Buffalo. Oh wait, maybe they would (see the Sabres)

How do you define good? And what does he do to fulfill that?

How about assembling quality staffs and going at least .500 four times out of six (and making multiple trips to the final four) despite having nothing but horrendous QBs at his disposal? Unfortunately, the Bills aren't in a very good position under center, but this is the most talented team Ryan has had since his first two with the Jets and those years went swimmingly for him.

Great. As the season ended this year, I wondered what could have been if we had Revis.

Ahh, we had a great D, and there isn't much room to move up from #4 to #1....hence, having Revis would only have helped us at the margins. We needed O hep big time, and that was the ingredient that was missing, not D. And Schwartz did that......

I really hope Whaley doesn't let Ryan put to many resources and emphasis on the defensive side of the ball. It's my biggest worry about Ryan. When Ryan stakes his reputation on the defense being the best, it's gotta take away from the offense.

How about some O-lineman, a TE, a top flight RB? We already know the QB is likely to be average at best.

This isn't much of a scoop. That fact that the Bills might pursue Revis doesn't really mean that much. What matters is what Revis wants to do with what is left of the back end of his career. He has another year on his contract with the Pats but the cap cost of keeping him on is so prohibitive that the Pats may have to extend the deal or release him. Revis is thought to be more interested in contending for championships for his last few seasons than he is in signing a mega-contract. If that is true, the most likely scenario is that he signs an extension with the Pats to give them some cap relief. This story says nothing of the likelihood that the Bills would actually get Revis.

Apart from all the possibilities, I am reticent to commit a load of cash to a fading veteran. Besides, our defense is already top notch, it is the offense that is the problem. Why would it make any sense to go on a spending spree for a defensive player whose shelf life is sharply limited? I would much rather read that the Bills are pursuing Brian Bulaga, Orlando Franklin or Mike Iupati.

He had his chance and let his stupid GM throw Revis away and then continue to destroy the team. I see it as being no different as long a s Woody is the owner.

It's not that simple. Revis regularly wanted to renegotiate each new contract. And he was injured.

No CB is worth that much of a team's cap--especially as he only does what amounts to one year, fully guaranteed contracts.

How about assembling quality staffs and going at least .500 four times out of six (and making multiple trips to the final four) despite having nothing but horrendous QBs at his disposal? Unfortunately, the Bills aren't in a very good position under center, but this is the most talented team Ryan has had since his first two with the Jets and those years went swimmingly for him.

Rex loved Sancho. You can't praise him as a coach when he was content with a horrendous QB. Also, he took over a 9-7 team with the 16th best offense. And he had a HoF running back, the best CB in the game etc. And "assembling quality staffs?" Quality is exactly what I would use when describing the Sparano hire.

You are underestimating the cap space. They are going to sign a FA lineman. Revis would be instead of Hughes. It is totally independent of the OL.

No, I'm not. Where did I say they couldn't do both?

And how can cap spending be "totally independent" between them, if it's all from the same pot?

I want them to spend money on the offense, but with Ryan laying his reputation on the defense, he is likely to want the money (and draft picks) to go there first and foremost.

And how can cap spending be "totally independent" between them, if it's all from the same pot?

I want them to spend money on the offense, but with Ryan laying his reputation on the defense, he is likely to want the money (and draft picks) to go there first and foremost.

so if they can do both, what is the issue? Edited by YoloinOhio

then you are going to be sitting on a ton of cap space if you are waiting around for a QB to spend big money on.

Do you think OL and TEs are free? This team needs to overhaul 5-6 positions on offense (QB, 3OL, TE, and maybe RB.) If Revis isnt signed there are plenty of places to spend the money on to upgrade the team. Revis is a guy you sign if youre one or two players away (like NE.) If Revis is signed there is no way the Bills can adress all the holes on O. Are we really hoping some rookies can come in and play well enough in year one? We saw how well that turned ut last year.

The Bills are going to have to play this season with EJ at QB or someone who is only marginally better. To have any success they absoltely need better play from the OL. Hell, by saying they need only 3 OL Im giving Woods a pass for his horrible season. If Henderson progresses at RT thats great but they absoltely need to bring someone in to push him, just like they do for EJ.

But Whaley makes the picks

Do you think OL and TEs are free? This team needs to overhaul 5-6 positions on offense (QB, 3OL, TE, and maybe RB.) If Revis isnt signed there are plenty of places to spend the money on to upgrade the team. Revis is a guy you sign if youre one or two players away (like NE.) If Revis is signed there is no way the Bills can adress all the holes on O. Are we really hoping some rookies can come in and play well enough in year one? We saw how well that turned ut last year.

The Bills are going to have to play this season with EJ at QB or someone who is only marginally better. To have any success they absoltely need better play from the OL. Hell, by saying they need only 3 OL Im giving Woods a pass for his horrible season. If Henderson progresses at RT thats great but they absoltely need to bring someone in to push him, just like they do for EJ.

they aren't going to sign 3 OL in FA. However, I don't know why you responded to me in particular to talk about signing OL and TE and RB. My post was about the QB position only, and in response to only spending that kind of money on a QB. I have said repeatedly they need a G, TE and RB. Though I think the RB and TE should come via draft. Edited by YoloinOhio

This isn't much of a scoop. That fact that the Bills might pursue Revis doesn't really mean that much. What matters is what Revis wants to do with what is left of the back end of his career. He has another year on his contract with the Pats but the cap cost of keeping him on is so prohibitive that the Pats may have to extend the deal or release him. Revis is thought to be more interested in contending for championships for his last few seasons than he is in signing a mega-contract. If that is true, the most likely scenario is that he signs an extension with the Pats to give them some cap relief. This story says nothing of the likelihood that the Bills would actually get Revis.

Apart from all the possibilities, I am reticent to commit a load of cash to a fading veteran. Besides, our defense is already top notch, it is the offense that is the problem. Why would it make any sense to go on a spending spree for a defensive player whose shelf life is sharply limited? I would much rather read that the Bills are pursuing Brian Bulaga, Orlando Franklin AND Mike Iupati.

Now we're talking ;)