Jets, Bills to pursue Revis (Update-Signed with Jets)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of adding a rich contract to acquire Revis use the allottment of money for Hughes and a quality TE. In addition, although there isn't an upper tier qb on the market having some cap leeway could help get the best veteran qb on the market.

The difference to improving next year from this year is not going to be the defense, it is already well established. Also, next year a healthy Alonzo will be on the roster. The real difference-maker for this team is going to be a competent qb who will be taking the snaps. The reality is that we are not going to be the only team desperately searching for a respectable qb. Having a little extra money to offer can be the difference in getting rather than losing a qb prospect.

Are you going to get a quality TE for $2M? Are you going to be that close to the cap next year where you cant come up with another $2M if you see a guy that you want? The Bills are in great shape cap wise and should free up another $4M with the release of Urbik and Rivers (I am assuming that will happen). It really isn't a money situation at all unless we are talking about Hughes AND Revis. I don't think that anyone thinks that is likely. The Bills could have Hughes or Revis and still adequately address the rest of their FA needs.

Sorry i have not read this entire thread, but just to clarify.

The Pats have a $20M option they can exercise, not 100% certain he will be an UFA.

Would think so...but that may be the one position the Pats spend

Edited by plenzmd1

Are you going to get a quality TE for $2M? Are you going to be that close to the cap next year where you cant come up with another $2M if you see a guy that you want? The Bills are in great shape cap wise and should free up another $4M with the release of Urbik and Rivers (I am assuming that will happen). It really isn't a money situation at all unless we are talking about Hughes AND Revis. I don't think that anyone thinks that is likely. The Bills could have Hughes or Revis and still adequately address the rest of their FA needs.

My question is......and I am neither or against at this point

If its Revis.....and Hughes is allowed to depart. WHO TAKES THAT SPOT

because DL is the one thing we can say is probably the best in the league for us....and we let one of them go. So who is the replacement.

and who knows. Maybe they find a older veteran player who gives us equal production? But would really like to know the plan.

My question is......and I am neither or against at this point

If its Revis.....and Hughes is allowed to depart. WHO TAKES THAT SPOT

because DL is the one thing we can say is probably the best in the league for us....and we let one of them go. So who is the replacement.

and who knows. Maybe they find a older veteran player who gives us equal production? But would really like to know the plan.

Well in Rex's scheme it wouldn't really be a DL. You may be able to find an inexpensive veteran or the combination of Randell Johnson (who would seem to be a perfect fit if he can play) and Jarius Wynn (who I would bring back). The Bills will get plenty of pressure next year with or without Hughes. The system will be very aggressive.

I'd prefer Revis to Hughes but I'm not dead set on it either. If Revis is $17m (for example) and Hughes $10M, I would rather Hughes. I only expect it to be about a $2M-$3m difference.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Anybody think that if we do sign Revis and let Leodis go, he'll wind up on the Pats*?

It's either there or Oakland IMHO.

there would be many teams willing to trade a draft pick for McK IMO. CB is a much valued position, he can run, has played in many different schemes, and has a reasonable contract. Edited by YoloinOhio

One thing to remember - Revis isn't getting any younger. He'll be 30 on opening day. I worry about paying a lot of money for his "decline years." That said, Champ Bailey had some good seasons in years 30 and after ...

Nnamdi Asomugha comes to mind. Philadelphia lost big in that deal when NA went downhill precipitously after being the prize of the UFA in 2011.

Why Do you think they would dump Urbik? They need two guards and even if they found them. He would be a good depth player. But, if they keep chris Williams and dump Urbik, now that would be scary. Edited by Best Player Available

Why Do you think they would dump Urbik? They need two guards and even if they found them. He would be a good depth player. But, if they keep chris Williams and dump Urbik, now that would be scary.

I think that it is like a $2.5m cap savings on Urbik. His contract gets more restrictive moving forward as well. They will sign someone in FA (Clint Boling is my target) and maybe draft another. They will probably also sign an inexpensive vet also (like a cheaper Urbik). The thought would be that you would then have all of those young kids (Cyril, Cyrus and a rookie) and the cheap vet vying for one spot potentially. This would assume that Henderson continues to develop and is your RT.

The defense is arguably already as good as it needs to be.

Talk of CB acquisition is misguided.

What are we doing about finding a good QB?

Until that happens, what we do or don't do with Revis is kind of meaningless.

You tell me who the QB is that they need that $ for? The answer is that guy doesn't exist so they are going to continue to improve elsewhere. They will definitely be adding QBs but there is plenty of money to add the guys that have been mentioned and Hughes or Revis.

The defense is arguably already as good as it needs to be.

Talk of CB acquisition is misguided.

What are we doing about finding a good QB?

Until that happens, what we do or don't do with Revis is kind of meaningless.

Pain

THe problem is....that QB does not appear to be out there.

It makes no sense to either save money or throw money at what does not exist (veteran QBs are going to be for the having for very little in comparison)

So.....if you have a chance at a guy that can actually change a game in another area......u take that shot.

We are looking at a game manager for this next year and then the following year we will have our 1st round pick back. Lets hope we can be good enough to be a playoff team this next year on the back of a dominate defense and running game....then we continue to look for our answer at qB

I think it's 60-40. 60% of the benefit of signing Revis is the harm it does to NE, and 40% of the benefit is making the Bills already-great defense somewhat better. The cheapest and most cost effective outcome is if some NFC team signs him. Maybe Pegula can slip one of his fellow billionaires a few bucks to make that happen.

The Pats defense was Revis, Jaime Collins (who's turning into a great player), Vincent Wilfork (who's slowing down), wily old Ninkovich, and a bunch of other guys. (It's OK if I don't know them, but you'd think Russell Wilson would have learned about them. Oh well.) The point is that Belichek and Patricia built a very good defense around just a few good players. Take one or two away, and their house of cards tumbles.

It's a close call, but considering most of the benefit to the deal would be in hurting NE, and the lost opportunity to sign other players, I'd say no, if an NFC team were to sign him, and yes if he would return to NE otherwise.

Good note on Collins. Yet to me the two most under rated Patriots if ask me are Devin McCourtey and Patrick Chung. The latter is signed long term but McCourtey is set to be an UFA. I hope he walks as think losing him will really weaken their secondary.

I could not agree more. This is not a pressing need and there are numerous others. I would rather see available cap space spent resigning Hughes and Searcy, and bringing in some real talent on the OL. Thankfully, this is just speculation on Schefter's part, no doubt fueled by "inside info" from Revis' agent trying to pump up his value.

I can't understand why we can't add other pieces to this team if we sign Revis. U guys have been losing for so long that u just think players come one at a time. We have cap space right now nearly 40 mil with the roll over. Yes we need to resign Dareus I agree and that should be our #1 goal right now. But this team has some dead weight that can be cut so we can even open up more cap space. Chris Williams, Rivers & trading McKelvin can free up even more money.

Fellas the Grinch has left the building it's a new era at One Bills Dr get used to it. Believe it if we sign Revis more will come soon after. The future is now Revis will be 30 when next season begins and he coincides with our 3yr window for this team. If he signs a 3 yr deal at 40 mil it's definitely worth it.

Btw to all we want is to sign big name guys cause that's all we know fans. I'm definitely not one of them. I know just about every player in the NFL. I know the difference between top 5 and elite Defense. As of now we are top 5 but with the addition of Revis & a healthy Kiko we are elite. So that makes the whole team better. Just ask Seattle fans what elite can do. There D opens things up for there Offense it allows them to play with balls. That's something we haven't seen here in a while. I'm definitely on board with adding to a strength to achieve greatness. Same people that talk negative bout this possible signing will be the first ones to love it when they see it hit the field. Have vision fellas and let Pegs worry bout the money.

I could not agree more. This is not a pressing need and there are numerous others. I would rather see available cap space spent resigning Hughes and Searcy, and bringing in some real talent on the OL. Thankfully, this is just speculation on Schefter's part, no doubt fueled by "inside info" from Revis' agent trying to pump up his value.

I can't understand why we can't add other pieces to this team if we sign Revis. U guys have been losing for so long that u just think players come one at a time. We have cap space right now nearly 40 mil with the roll over. Yes we need to resign Dareus I agree and that should be our #1 goal right now. But this team has some dead weight that can be cut so we can even open up more cap space. Chris Williams, Rivers & trading McKelvin can free up even more money.

Fellas the Grinch has left the building it's a new era at One Bills Dr get used to it. Believe it if we sign Revis more will come soon after. The future is now Revis will be 30 when next season begins and he coincides with our 3yr window for this team. If he signs a 3 yr deal at 40 mil it's definitely worth it.

Btw to all we want is to sign big name guys cause that's all we know fans. I'm definitely not one of them. I know just about every player in the NFL. I know the difference between top 5 and elite Defense. As of now we are top 5 but with the addition of Revis & a healthy Kiko we are elite. So that makes the whole team better. Just ask Seattle fans what elite can do. There D opens things up for there Offense it allows them to play with balls. That's something we haven't seen here in a while. I'm definitely on board with adding to a strength to achieve greatness. Same people that talk negative bout this possible signing will be the first ones to love it when they see it hit the field. Have vision fellas and let Pegs worry bout the money.

I guess that I will take my 1st crack at my ideal offseason:

-restructure Mario

-Sign Bradford (if he becomes available) 4 years, $32M with each $8M being fully guaranteed the 1st day of the league year

-Sign Clint Boling 5 years $20M ($10M guaranteed)

- Sign Revis 5 years $70M ($35M guaranteed)

- trade McKelvin for Dwayne Allen

- draft Todd Gurley

-draft Jeff Heurman

- draft a DE, OL, QB & WR

-Resign Spiller 3 years $9M

If that happened, it wouldn't be long before I woke up.

Are you going to get a quality TE for $2M?Are you going to be that close to the cap next year where you cant come up with another $2M if you see a guy that you want? The Bills are in great shape cap wise and should free up another $4M with the release of Urbik and Rivers (I am assuming that will happen). It really isn't a money situation at all unless we are talking about Hughes AND Revis. I don't think that anyone thinks that is likely. The Bills could have Hughes or Revis and still adequately address the rest of their FA needs.

Revis believes that he is the best CB in the game, and he probably is. He also wants to be the highest paid CB in the league. If that is the case then his contract will be richer than Hughes's. You are right that the difference in contracts between the two won't be enough to get you an impactful TE. But it certainly can be the difference in getting you a quality guard.

Most of us agree that Whaley is going to scour the market for a free agent or tradeable veteran qb. Having more flexibility with more cap space could put the Bills in a better position to intice one of the better available qb's on the market.

I'm not going to dismiss the argument that having elite CBs is important. But for me my bias is toward having an elite DL, especially pass rushing DL, over upgrading the secondary. In my mind (contrary to the beliefs of many) I believe that Gilmore is on the verge of being a shut down corner. In addition, although McKelvin has atrocious ball skills I consider him to be a good CB (contrary to the views of others).

As I stated in other posts our roster as it is currently constructed is too much unbalanced toward the defense. Keeping what we have will continue the great chemistry along the line with the added factor of offering a little more slack with the cap space. (My assumption is that a Revis contract is going to cost more than Hughes contract.}