Jets, Bills to pursue Revis (Update-Signed with Jets)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question on WGR this morning.

You sign Revis but loose Hughes would you do it?

CBF

in a heartbeat

revis is top 3 at his position in league

hughes isn't even in the top 3 of DL on his own team.

Edited by papazoid

Yes really. The Jets defensive backfield became the worst in the league and the Pats won the SB with Revis taking the best WR out of every game. But keep on arguing that he's not very good, or never worth the money, or that the Jets didn't drastically miss him, or that the Pats didn't think he was a bargain this year.

I agree completely about Revis's awesome talent level, but I will say that the Bills are in pretty good shape at the CB position. Gilmore was playing like an all-pro late in the season, and Corey Graham is clearly capable of playing man effectively. Toss in a talented vet (albeit an uneven one) like McKelvin, who can run with just about anyone (the bills' version of Cromartie), and I think the Bills are reasonably set at the position for this type of defense. Robey is an OK fourth, although I don't think he's as good as I think he is (if that makes any sense). I think that they need another CB, but a solid #2 who can play man would be my rec in FA.

Yes really. The Jets defensive backfield became the worst in the league and the Pats won the SB with Revis taking the best WR out of every game. But keep on arguing that he's not very good, or never worth the money, or that the Jets didn't drastically miss him, or that the Pats didn't think he was a bargain this year.

Never said he was not very good. I've shown that the Jets D didn't significantly change without him overall. And the NE pass D was mediocre with him--ranked lower than the Jets.

So, very good player. Not worth what he costs. The Jets should should have kept Cromartie. Better bargain this year.

I'm glad WGR decided to pull their content straight off of here. That topic has been discussed for a week or more here. They are terrible.

There was this telltale tweet this morning:

@hsimon62: for those of you who go to two bills drive, whats going on? is the site down?

@hsimon62: @twobillsdrive thanks. your sight is on my must check it out list every day

I wouldn't. The talent gap between Hughes and backup, vs Revis and McKelvin is larger imo. McKelvin isn't great, but he was playing at a Pro Bowl level last year, and there's no reason why he can't continue on that path this year. Who do we have behind Hughes? Lawson? He's not that great of a pass rusher, and his motor is no where near Jerry's. Also, Hughes comes cheaper (most likely), which allows us to dedicate more money to the offense.

I wouldn't. The talent gap between Hughes and backup, vs Revis and McKelvin is larger imo. McKelvin isn't great, but he was playing at a Pro Bowl level last year, and there's no reason why he can't continue on that path this year. Who do we have behind Hughes? Lawson? He's not that great of a pass rusher, and his motor is no where near Jerry's. Also, Hughes comes cheaper (most likely), which allows us to dedicate more money to the offense.

you do need to consider the demands of the scheme though. A shut down corner is more critical to the success of this defensive system than a 4th pass rusher. Rex likes to put his CBs on an island and blitz to create confusion and pressure. He will get sacks and pressure on the QB with or without Hughes. With Brady in particular (and guys like Peyton) they get the ball out so fast that relying on pressure from the front 4 like Schwartz did does not shut down the short passing game. Having no where to throw it or unblocked blitzes flying out of nowhere does. Edited by YoloinOhio

This is a really good point.

The Bills pass D was ranked 3rd in the league last year--and they were 4th in points allowed. They should now shell out 12-14 million per year for Revis so they can, what move up a spot or two? It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend the cap that way. I still say the value isn't there.

There was this telltale tweet this morning:

@hsimon62: for those of you who go to two bills drive, whats going on? is the site down?

@hsimon62: @twobillsdrive thanks. your sight is on my must check it out list every day

Hey states as much on the air almost weekly. At least he gives props were props are due.

Agree with this. Hughes leaves a much bigger hole than people are assuming. The smart move is to resign him and devote other FA money to OL, RB, and TE. Also consider Searcy is a free agent and they are going to have to deal with Dareus soon.

This is a really good point.

The Bills pass D was ranked 3rd in the league last year--and they were 4th in points allowed. They should now shell out 12-14 million per year for Revis so they can, what move up a spot or two? It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend the cap that way. I still say the value isn't there.

Revis would cost far more than 12 - 14 mil. More like 17-20.

you do need to consider the demands of the scheme though. A shut down corner is more critical to the success of this defensive system than a 4th pass rusher. Rex likes to put his CBs on an island and blitz to create confusion and pressure. He will get sacks and pressure on the QB with or without Hughes. With Brady in particular (and guys like Peyton) they get the ball out so fast that relying on pressure from the front 4 like Schwartz did does not shut down the short passing game. Having no where to throw it or unblocked blitzes flying out of nowhere does.

I wonder how good of a CB we can find with our first pick in the draft...

Revis would cost far more than 12 - 14 mil. More like 17-20.

That's the part that scares me off, really. We have some pretty big holes to fill on offense, with a fairly strong CB core already... so using half our cap space on this one player makes me pause.

Again, though, like I said earlier... if we get him, I won't be complaining too much, he's a hell of a player. Just it probably wouldn't be the decision I would make.

I wonder how good of a CB we can find with our first pick in the draft...

That's the part that scares me off, really. We have some pretty big holes to fill on offense, with a fairly strong CB core already... so using half our cap space on this one player makes me pause.

Again, though, like I said earlier... if we get him, I won't be complaining too much, he's a hell of a player. Just it probably wouldn't be the decision I would make.

rookie DBs don't become shut down corners overnight. They might flash ability but it takes awhile to adjust to the nfl QBs, WRs and coverages. I think the Bills want it all now. Jmo.