What do you think will happen with Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

Jerry Hughes  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of Jerry Hughes's pending FA?

• Bills will sign Jerry Hughes during FA
    • Hughes will sign with another team in FA
  2. 2. If Hughes is not signed by the Bills, how should he be replaced?

• Signing another FA pass rusher (i.e. JPP, Pernell McPhee, etc)
    • Drafting a pass rusher in 2015
    • With a player currently on the roster (Jarius Wynn, Randell Johnson, etc)

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cletus made me question whether they get it done or not. I think Jerry has become a great player and I'd love for them to sign him, but if he wants too much, we might be better off letting him sign somewhere else.

I've been thinking about one scenario that I can't remember being brought up here. Since Rex loves lock down corners, I wonder if we make a run at Byron Maxwell. Anyone have any idea what ballpark his contract will be in?

9:37pm

@jchenelly: Those advising Jerry Hughes say they are sure they can get bigger payday on open market than #Bills willing to pay. Hughes contemplating.

9:37pm

@jchenelly: Those advising Jerry Hughes say they are sure they can get bigger payday on open market than #Bills willing to pay. Hughes contemplating.

He probably can. The key is the guaranteed money the Bills are offering. If it's 24m or more, he should jump on it regardless of the years and the total amount. The Bills should offer him 5-50 with 24m guaranteed. I think if he goes on the open market he will get closer to 12 per year but he is not going to see those last couple years in all likelihood, unless he turns into one of the very best players in the game.

I think this is pretty much all or nothing. Jerry goes to the highest bidder if they don't get this done tonight or tomorrow. Agents start fielding offers on Saturday.

I think you are correct

nickellion79 @nickellion79 5m5 minutes ago

@jchenelly you think he decides tonight if he is taking Bills offer or hitting the open market?

Joe Chenelly @jchenelly 4m4 minutes ago

@TylerHoch1 It would only be my opinion, so I think there is an outside shot. But could not blame him for walking away.

Joe Chenelly @jchenelly 3m3 minutes ago

@nickellion79 His people need to know very soon.

Tyler Hoch @TylerHoch1 5m5 minutes ago

@jchenelly Shady deal probably helps the cause of him staying

0 replies 0 retweets 1 favorite

@TylerHoch1 Yes, I know #Bills are counting on that to help in recruiting. That is why the news was leaked early. Philly was against leak.

nickellion79 @nickellion79 4m4 minutes ago

@jchenelly is their meeting over?

Joe Chenelly @jchenelly 2m2 minutes ago

@nickellion79 I'm not sure, but that was my impression.

Joe Chenelly @jchenelly 44s44 seconds ago

@nickellion79 No nte rating note: Rex Ryan not at the meeting. His personality is famously attractive to players.

He probably can. The key is the guaranteed money the Bills are offering. If it's 24m or more, he should jump on it regardless of the years and the total amount. The Bills should offer him 5-50 with 24m guaranteed. I think if he goes on the open market he will get closer to 12 per year but he is not going to see those last couple years in all likelihood, unless he turns into one of the very best players in the game.

I'm with you. I like those numbers too. I really hope he stays, but if he goes I think it means the Bills go hard after Revis so I'm torn.

That all makes sense. He could always test the market and still sign here, no?

Sure. But it'd make it a super long shot.

Tyler Hoch @TylerHoch1 5m5 minutes ago

@jchenelly Shady deal probably helps the cause of him staying

0 replies 0 retweets 1 favorite

@TylerHoch1 Yes, I know #Bills are counting on that to help in recruiting. That is why the news was leaked early. Philly was against leak.

These are the two that jump out to me. Good stuff.

@HighRizaz19 It seems advisors feel they can get a lot more, but no disputing that could be simply negotiating tactics.

Joe Chenelly @jchenelly now

@HighRizaz19 The Bills believe they've made a fair offer, and they openly acknowledge there may be others willing to overpay. They won't.

@HighRizaz19 It seems advisors feel they can get a lot more, but no disputing that could be simply negotiating tactics.

@HighRizaz19 The Bills believe they've made a fair offer, and they openly acknowledge there may be others willing to overpay. They won't.

As someone in favor of signing Hughes all year, I agree they shouldn't overpay. It'll be interesting to see what the new front office considers "overpaying" when the dust settles if he leaves. If I were him, it'd be hard not to see what I'd be worth on the open market, but I think it'd be harder to leave this defensive line.

As someone in favor of signing Hughes all year, I agree they shouldn't overpay. It'll be interesting to see what the new front office considers "overpaying" when the dust settles if he leaves. If I were him, it'd be hard not to see what I'd be worth on the open market, but I think it'd be harder to leave this defensive line.

Agreed. Hughes isn't irreplaceable. We have some of those guys and he's not one. He is very good though and I hope we find a situation that makes sense for all.

This team saved his career...He owes us a little something!

1) I agree with you on "if I were Hughes"-- would be a no-brainer to hit the market.

2) But if I am the Bills, I would overpay. Keep this D intact.

This team saved his career...He owes us a little something!

Let's hope that plays into the final decision. :beer:

1) I agree with you on "if I were Hughes"-- would be a no-brainer to hit the market.

I'd overpay in guaranteed money like Kelly suggested, I think that might be the best way to go. But if I'm Buffalo, I don't want to set the market on arguably the best pass rusher who didn't get tagged in this crop of UFAs. Save that for Dareus.

I think this is precisely why this team brought in a defensive mind like Rex Ryan, so that that can keep the high level of play without having to overpay guys. Hopefully Jerry will take the offer because he wants to be a part of something as special as what this D could be. I would not blame him for a second if he took a big payday though. Opportunities like this don't come along often, especially for guys who were "busts" just two seasons ago.

I think this is precisely why this team brought in a defensive mind like Rex Ryan, so that that can keep the high level of play without having to overpay guys. Hopefully Jerry will take the offer because he wants to be a part of something as special as what this D could be. I would not blame him for a second if he took a big payday though. Opportunities like this don't come along often, especially for guys who were "busts" just two seasons ago.

You don't even matter...You aren't on this team anymore :nana:

I'd love to keep him, but my opinion has shifted to him probably walking for more money than we offer, sadly.

Hopefully we can pick up someone with a similarly high motor, Jerry never quits on a play, and that's what makes him special.

I agree with you. I have faith in Rex.

That said, elite pass rushers are tough to get; would be sad to see him go.

Sounds very similar to the Byrd negotiations - Bills make a fair offer knowing others will overpay.

I just hope that the Bills are at least given the chance to match any offer Hughes gets in free agency

CBF

While they may be, it "sounds" like (if the reports are accurate) that the Bills feel he will be "overrpaid" on the market (based on what value they have placed on that position) and they won't do that (presumably based on their other needs). So I doubt it will matter. JMO.