What do you think will happen with Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

Jerry Hughes  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of Jerry Hughes's pending FA?

• Bills will sign Jerry Hughes during FA
    • Hughes will sign with another team in FA
  2. 2. If Hughes is not signed by the Bills, how should he be replaced?

• Signing another FA pass rusher (i.e. JPP, Pernell McPhee, etc)
    • Drafting a pass rusher in 2015
    • With a player currently on the roster (Jarius Wynn, Randell Johnson, etc)

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he'll(rightfully so) ask for more than the Bills are willing to pay and he'll walk. I wouldn't want the Bills to pay him more than $8 mill a year and I expect he could get $10 million or more somewhere else.

Here are some of the FA DEs... he does have some competition in the market though I know he will demand top $

Jason Pierre-Paul

Brian Orakpo

Greg Hardy

Pernell McPhee

Brandon Graham

Anthony Spencer

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2015DE.php

Well, considering he doesn't want to give a hometown discount to the team that put him in a position to flourish (No Discount), I'm going to guess he asks for more than we want to give. There are a few cheaper options in FA that could do well with the supporting cast we have here, and we could even look into a bigger bodied pass rusher if we want to show more 3-4 looks.

Well, considering he doesn't want to give a hometown discount to the team that put him in a position to flourish (No Discount), I'm going to guess he asks for more than we want to give. There are a few cheaper options in FA that could do well with the supporting cast we have here, and we could even look into a bigger bodied pass rusher if we want to show more 3-4 looks.

That hometown discount thing is irrelevant, IMO. Why would the Bills need to offer a lower salary than he is worth?

Because we have areas of need elsewhere that demand more money, and we can replace him without significant drop off (my opinion, I know) for less money

I agree we have more significant areas of need, but that doesn't mean they can't address them all with the cap space they have. I just mean that they are in the same position as other teams in what they can offer. I don't think he will sign here before FA, but I think there is a good chance he ends up here anyway. If not, I'm fine with it though.

He's a very good player in and of himself. He also makes his linemates look better.

I agree, he is a really good player. His actual sack total *may* be inflated by the double teams being absorbed by the other guys, but his effectiveness in QB hits and general disruption are because he is very talented in his own right.

I agree we have more significant areas of need, but that doesn't mean they can't address them all with the cap space they have. I just mean that they are in the same position as other teams in what they can offer. I don't think he will sign here before FA, but I think there is a good chance he ends up here anyway. If not, I'm fine with it though.

I do think we will spend fairly big on Searcy though, but that may be a different topic

Buffalo Bills @buffalobills 16m16 minutes ago

Free agent DE Jerry Hughes: “I definitely want to be back” http://bufbills.co/nWAjbY

Seems weird the Bills official twitter keeps posting stuff on Hughes. I don't remember them doing this with Byrd but maybe I misremember.

I do think we will spend fairly big on Searcy though, but that may be a different topic

Let's hope so! I think he is a very important signing.

I honestly think Hughes is fools gold and a bad investment. His production is tied to the 3 elite guys he got to play with and his stats are a product of their play. I do not think he is a #1 DE and capable of carrying a pass rush for a team on his own.

Tag and trade and get a pick if possible. Otherwise let some other team overpay him and use the $ to sign a replacement and maybe a starter on the O Line.

I honestly think Hughes is fools gold and a bad investment. His production is tied to the 3 elite guys he got to play with and his stats are a product of their play. I do not think he is a #1 DE and capable of carrying a pass rush for a team on his own.

Tag and trade and get a pick if possible. Otherwise let some other team overpay him and use the $ to sign a replacement and maybe a starter on the O Line.

Very difficult to do.

he is out of position in rex's defense.

to small to play DE and not a LB.

I would not look at him as a "DE" or a "LB" but rather as an "EDGE" defender. Hughes thrived in Pettine's similar D in 2013 as a situational pass rusher. Last year in the 4-3, he still aligned at the nine-technique in a two-point stance. Basically an OLB.

Speaking of Edge defenders...Randell Johnson is athletically and physically a great fit for that role in a 3-4, basically what Hughes was doing in 2013.

No chance Whaley lets this guy leave. Sheppard for Hughes is his trademark move. Will be re-signed or tagged. My guess is 4 years $36 million.

Good point. He may feel the pressure of the most recent trade and though the perception is that he came out ahead (thus far) on the Byrd decision, this one might be a nice overshadow on the Sammy trade for now.