What do you think will happen with Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

Jerry Hughes  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of Jerry Hughes's pending FA?

• Bills will sign Jerry Hughes during FA
    • Hughes will sign with another team in FA
  2. 2. If Hughes is not signed by the Bills, how should he be replaced?

• Signing another FA pass rusher (i.e. JPP, Pernell McPhee, etc)
    • Drafting a pass rusher in 2015
    • With a player currently on the roster (Jarius Wynn, Randell Johnson, etc)

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes is way better than people give him credit for who simply use the theory of "the other three guys" when that's not what happens on the field. He does get less double teams, for sure, which helps. But he beats his man cleanly more often than anyone, played great against the run,makes plays on the other side of the field, causes fumbles, makes stuffs behind the line on running plays, and graded out the 14th best in the league. He's very very good and getting better and entering his prime. And he surely has a spot in Rex's defense. I bet Rex wants him bad. I also expect the Bills to sign him for about 5-60 with 24m guaranteed.

As much as I want him to come back, and Im sure the Bills do as well, I think he leaves for the money-grab. I guess I cant blame him, although I think it may not be in his best interests in the long run, but again it's his life.

If he does leave, I think the Bills will plan on replacing him with someone already on the roster, but will also look to draft a DE in the mid to late rounds to add depth to that position since Mario isnt getting any younger or cheaper either.

As much as I want him to come back, and Im sure the Bills do as well, I think he leaves for the money-grab. I guess I cant blame him, although I think it may not be in his best interests in the long run, but again it's his life.

If he does leave, I think the Bills will plan on replacing him with someone already on the roster, but will also look to draft a DE in the mid to late rounds to add depth to that position since Mario isnt getting any younger or cheaper either.

I would not be opposed to drafting a pass rusher if Hughes leaves, but I think Mario has at least 5 more years of Mario-like production left.

Bills Defense Rankings

2012 (pre Jerry Hughes): 26th pts / 22nd yds

2013: 20th pts / 10th yds

2014: 4th pts / 4th yds

The Bills will severely regret letting Jerry Hughes get away. You don't hire Rex Ryan as your head coach and then let a player as intimidating, productive and versatile as Hughes leave. Overpay by a couple of million if you have to, just get it done because Rex Ryan's defenses were no longer good enough to get them in the playoffs or even a winning record when he started losing his best defensive players.

The only thing that makes me ok with him leaving is that if he did say we'd probably have to pay him $10 million or more a year. I'm ok with a slight drop in talent at his position if it means we use that money on a position of need. $10 million a year is a lot of money. We could sign one of the best guards in the league or a TE like Jordan Cameron or Julius Thomas for that kind of money.

The only thing that makes me ok with him leaving is that if he did say we'd probably have to pay him $10 million or more a year. I'm ok with a slight drop in talent at his position if it means we use that money on a position of need. $10 million a year is a lot of money. We could sign one of the best guards in the league or a TE like Jordan Cameron or Julius Thomas for that kind of money.

Also, whether he's wrongly accused or not, he does draw a lot of 15 yard flags

Please explain this one. Who's replacing Hughes who's a slight drop in talent compared to him?

I don't get fans with this mindset. They have the best defense in the league and some fans have no problem messing with it by not signing a key player like Hughes for 10 million dollars per year. As if it's no big deal that the defense will no longer be as good. As if getting a top guard is worth that kind of trade off. Crazy talk IMO. The other AFC East teams are begging for the Bills to not sign Hughes.

Also, whether he's wrongly accused or not, he does draw a lot of 15 yard flags

Do Bills fans really care about this? When you play on the edge you are going to get some flags. Do you think Steeler fans wanted James Harrison gone because he had a lot of flags thrown on him?

Edited by 1billsfan

Please explain this one. Who's replacing Hughes who's a slight drop in talent compared to him?

I don't get fans with this mindset. They have the best defense in the league and some fans have no problem messing with it by not signing a key player like Hughes for 10 million dollars per year. As if it's no big deal that the defense will no longer be as good. As if getting a top guard is worth that kind of trade off. Crazy talk IMO. The other AFC East teams are begging for the Bills to not sign Hughes.

Do Bills fans really care about this? When you play on the edge you are going to get some flags. Do you think Steeler fans wanted James Harrison gone because he had a lot of flags thrown on him?

Yes, every fan should care about costly penalties that extend drives and lead to opponents scoring points, especially from a '$10 million a year' player.

Jarius Wynn? Manny Lawson? You act like Jerry Hughes is some proven Pro Bowl talent who has killed it his entire career. He was a bum for 3 years with the Colts and then he came and flourished alongside the best defensive line in the league for two years. At no point in his career has he proven to be an elite player on his own. Jarius Wynn, Manny Lawson, or whoever else the Bills brought in would benefit from playing on the same line that Hughes did and would probably do fine.

And more importantly, I'd rather have a stud TE than Hughes any day of the week. I'm sure plenty of DEs will be able to get pressure on the QB when the line has to double team Mario, Dareus, or Kyle Williams.

I tried finding a trade that would prove this statement wrong but these types of trades are so rare in the NFL i think you are probably right.

They are. People usually baulk when I make that statement but when they go back and look for a better one they always come up empty. I don't think Whaley gets nearly enough credit for that trade.

Amazes me that so many people think the Bills will let a 26 year old top pass rusher walk.

Exactly. He's proven himself to be the real deal and it's scary to think of how much better he will be under Rex.

You don't mess with this defense. It's non negotiable. They will worry about the cap when EJ Manuel starts making it rain TD passes.