What do you think will happen with Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

Jerry Hughes  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of Jerry Hughes's pending FA?

• Bills will sign Jerry Hughes during FA
    • Hughes will sign with another team in FA
  2. 2. If Hughes is not signed by the Bills, how should he be replaced?

• Signing another FA pass rusher (i.e. JPP, Pernell McPhee, etc)
    • Drafting a pass rusher in 2015
    • With a player currently on the roster (Jarius Wynn, Randell Johnson, etc)

My take on these situations is that in cases of elite players like Hughes (and make no mistake about it - he played like an elite player this year and probably created more havoc than Mario overall), they ALWAYS go the FA route unless they're tagged. It would be foolish not to do so if you think about it. There is no doubt that he is a very good and productive player at one of the most important positions, and it's a position of need across the league. Just look at the Falcons.

Ps - Dan Quinn wants to build a "fast and physical" (his words) front seven. Hughes is perfect for his scheme--his game is not dissimilar to Bruce Irvin's, and both play with a real edge. Watch out for Atlanta, which has money and isn't far away. They just need pass rushers. Their rush last year was abysmal.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ps - Dan Quinn wants to build a "fast and physical" (his words) front seven. Hughes is perfect for his scheme--his game is not dissimilar to Bruce Irvin's, and both play with a real edge. Watch out for Atlanta, which has money and isn't far away. They just need pass rushers. Their rush last year was abysmal.

The last time we successfully tagged and traded a player it was to the Falcons. I'll give them Hughes and a couple draft picks for Matt Ryan. They'd clear a TON of cap space for re-doing that team. :thumbsup:

Now if only theyd fall for it!

After hearing Hughes talk about how hard his decision is going to be b.c he loves these guys he plays with maybe he signs before FA. I just hope he realizes he is the product of a great D-Line.

Lol. I'm sure he is walking around thinking he is only good because of the other players around him. Dont kid yourself, he was a big part of why our dl was so good.

Lol. I'm sure he is walking around thinking he is only good because of the other players around him. Dont kid yourself, he was a big part of why our dl was so good.

Absolutely right. The others benefited as much from him as he from them. He was a game-changing player last season. He won the Cleveland game for the Bills.

Well it is true some player Egos get in the way of truth. If he doesn't remember his Colt days already then it might be a bad sign for the Bills.

Edited by Beef Jerky

I don't know how they can do that. I suppose it's possible, but it seems like they'd have to do a backloaded extension with a lot of guaranteed money to make that work. We've already enjoyed the lower hit years on his deal and a lot of his cap hit is money that's already been paid.

Turn salary into a signing bonus, then spread it out. Or better yet just extend him.

But they don't have to.

Absolutely right. The others benefited as much from him as he from them. He was a game-changing player last season. He won the Cleveland game for the Bills.

He sure did. Not many DEs get the best of Joe Thomas over the course of a game, but Hughes downright embarrassed him.

Also agree about Dan Quinn. I love the concept of using 34 personnel in a 43 scheme.

GO BILLS!!!

Well it is true some player Egos get in the way of truth. If he doesn't remember his Colt days already then it might be a bad sign for the Bills.

He is an experienced player now. He couldn't get on the field as a rookie in indy. Why would he think that he hasn't developed over the past couple years into a productive player? don't you remember all the reports out of training camp last year about how Hughes was the best player out there? He has clearly worked hard and it is paying off for him.

I bet you used to think Steve Johnson was only good here because everybody in the league was so terrified of the great Lee Evans that they left Johnson uncovered.

Not sure why some can't see this. Hughes is a very good player.

He is an experienced player now. He couldn't get on the field as a rookie in indy. Why would he think that he hasn't developed over the past couple years into a productive player? don't you remember all the reports out of training camp last year about how Hughes was the best player out there? He has clearly worked hard and it is paying off for him.

I bet you used to think Steve Johnson was only good here because everybody in the league was so terrified of the great Lee Evans that they left Johnson uncovered.

Maybe you should take a break...now you are talking about Stevie Johnson in a Hughes thread.

He was playing behind Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney. Him not getting on the field had a lot to do with who he was playing behind - two borderline hall of famers.

My take on these situations is that in cases of elite players like Hughes (and make no mistake about it - he played like an elite player this year and probably created more havoc than Mario overall), they ALWAYS go the FA route unless they're tagged. It would be foolish not to do so if you think about it. There is no doubt that he is a very good and productive player at one of the most important positions, and it's a position of need across the league. Just look at the Falcons.

I agree with you which is why I was surprised when Whaley said the negotiations were going really well and he was really optimistic. It created false hopes for me at least. I think Hughes hits free agency and the Bills will have another hole to plug.

Edited by norton20

So many times I have read on this board or listened to Bills fans complaining about how they are mad because the Bills don't take care of their own.......well here is a prime example. Some of you are saying I wouldn't pay him more then 8M he might be asking for 10M I (don't know) I am sure they could meet in the middle. Why bring in someone who may not gel or may get hurt a lot or his past his prime, and lose someone who is in their prime, playing at a pro bowl level, and fits perfect with the D line. Hmmmmmm let's think about this.

He's a very good player in and of himself. He also makes his linemates look better.

Exactly.... he's a contributor to Mario's sacks as well. They all make it difficult to double-team anyone on that line. Jerry needs to be paid just like another star. If you could just plug any other player in then some of the other DEs on the line would have 5-6 sacks as well... they don't

I wish the deal was done an we weren't here wondering.

Especially after all the talk that they were getting close to a deal since the combine.

drives me nuts

i don't think any FAs on any team have signed yet. By "close" I interpreted that as "sometime before FA starts"

Turn salary into a signing bonus, then spread it out. Or better yet just extend him.

But they don't have to.

i think part of robs point was that with a 20m hit already next year, and only 2 years to spread that signing bonus over.... without extension wed just be making him unmanageable next year, without gaining much this year since we have a ton of flexibility already.