What do you think will happen with Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

Jerry Hughes  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of Jerry Hughes's pending FA?

• Bills will sign Jerry Hughes during FA
    • Hughes will sign with another team in FA
  2. 2. If Hughes is not signed by the Bills, how should he be replaced?

• Signing another FA pass rusher (i.e. JPP, Pernell McPhee, etc)
    • Drafting a pass rusher in 2015
    • With a player currently on the roster (Jarius Wynn, Randell Johnson, etc)

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine Jerry is looking for $12M/year.

That would make him the 7th-highest paid DE in the game behind Watt, Mario, JPP (franchised), Robert Quinn, Charles Johnson, and Chris Long.

With the cap going ever higher, past salary numbers become less and less relevant. If you liked him, pay him.

tagging was 13.8 million someone said. I'm not sure I'd want them to if that's the case.

For one year in a season where you are not going to hit the cap anyways, you wouldn't want him at that price??? Please it is not like Pegula is asking to borrow a twenty from you to get it done. If we lose Hughes for nothing, it is just terrible asset management.

Edited by Proteus

This is not a good development. Hard to see him staying at this point. Bills know what he is looking for , they were not willing to meet him . Some team will meet the price teams lose their minds on the first few days of free agency. We will see how the entire free agent period plays out but there was money to pay this player and as of yet they have not

First off-season with Pegula as owner and we are going to let everyone of our free agents walk. Then we are going to spend a 2nd on a RB in a deep RB draft. This is Whaley's make or break off-season and it is not off to a good start.

With the cap going ever higher, past salary numbers become less and less relevant. If you liked him, pay him.

Of course they're relevant. Do you think that Hughes' agent isn't pointing Whaley's attention to the deals signed by lesser players like Everson Griffen, Michael Bennett, and Cliff Avril? Of course he is; Whaley's job is to do the same with the better players.

First off-season with Pegula as owner and we are going to let everyone of our free agents walk. Then we are going to spend a 2nd on a RB in a deep RB draft. This is Whaley's make or break off-season and it is not off to a good start.

Perhaps wait until any of this is true to over-react?

This is not a good development. Hard to see him staying at this point. Bills know what he is looking for , they were not willing to meet him . Some team will meet the price teams lose their minds on the first few days of free agency. We will see how the entire free agent period plays out but there was money to pay this player and as of yet they have not

Did I miss when UFA started?

For one year in a season where you are not going to hit the cap anyways, you wouldn't want him at that price??? Please it is not like Pegula is asking to borrow a twenty from you to get it done. If we lose Hughes for nothing, it is just terrible asset management.

Or he does what the last player we tagged did, and what Justin Houston will most likely do to KC, and hold out as long as possible. So really, you end up paying all that for maybe half a season's performance, and the guy walks the next season anyways.

Perhaps wait until any of this is true to over-react?

Whaley basically said on WGR that Spikes, Searcy and Spiller are all gone. That leaves Hughes. If we don't resign him, then we let every of our important free agents walk. I am not sure if Whaley gets it.

Did I miss when UFA started?

I hope I end up being pleasantly surprised, but I think we all know how this story usually ends. There are a lot of teams who need pass rushing help more than the Bills. It's pretty simple math.

Edited by dave mcbride

The people already screaming for Pegula's head are probably the same one's who were mad we let Byrd walk. That was the right decision.

I want Hughes back, but a.) Whaley deserves credit for a lot of his moves so far in his tenure and b.) Let's wait and see what they do in FA before crucifying the Pegula's.

We know Rex wants Revis. We know the Bills need at least 1 QB and possibly a RB. So they need money. If Hughes is looking for $9+ mill/year, then maybe you let him walk.

And if we lose out on Hughes, but end up with Revis, I'm pretty sure no one would complain about that trade off.

Pump the friggin breaks and think of the long haul before going crazy simply because they didn't give an $8 million per year player a $14million franchise tag.

I'd like to get a long term contract signed for a reasonable price(I know, craziness). The reason our cap is low is because we don't have a franchise QB and because we have signed team friendly contracts. Let Whaley do his thing, he can still sign him, and free agency hasnt started yet. We may hit our cap, you don't know that.

Or he does what the last player we tagged did, and what Justin Houston will most likely do to KC, and hold out as long as possible. So really, you end up paying all that for maybe half a season's performance, and the guy walks the next season anyways.

Actually players who are tagged almost always arrive just before training camp. If Hughes were to hold out until week 8, he would be leaving $7 million on the table.

You know this?

Hughes already said that he'd happily play under the tag, which makes sense because the tag for his position is over $14 million.

the byrd situation is pretty uncommon, generally. look around the league - he was the only tagged player to sit out of camp that year, wasnt he? and there were several under tags.

I'd like to get a long term contract signed for a reasonable price(I know, craziness). The reason our cap is low is because we don't have a franchise QB and because we have signed team friendly contracts. Let Whaley do his thing, he can still sign him, and free agency hasnt started yet. We may hit our cap, you don't know that.

We aren't hitting our cap without a great QB unless Whaley makes some absolutely horrendous signings. We are over $30 million under with most of the roster and big time positions in place.

You know this?

yes

Of course they're relevant. Do you think that Hughes' agent isn't pointing Whaley's attention to the deals signed by lesser players like Everson Griffen, Michael Bennett, and Cliff Avril? Of course he is; Whaley's job is to do the same with the better players.

What was relevant on the upper end of deals is no longer relevant really. As the pot of money becomes larger to spend, more gets spent on upper end players. People moaning about Hughes getting perhaps upwards of $12M I think are missing this point. If the Bills liked him, they could have tagged him or paid him. They didn't. Now they will need to fill another hole (presumably).

Edited by norton20

the byrd situation is pretty uncommon, generally. look around the league - he was the only tagged player to sit out of camp that year, wasnt he? and there were several under tags.

He didn't sit out. He came in at the end of camp and got injured.

We aren't hitting our cap without a great QB unless Whaley makes some absolutely horrendous signings. We are over $30 million under with most of the roster and big time positions in place.

yes

Are you running the draft?