What do you think will happen with Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

Jerry Hughes  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of Jerry Hughes's pending FA?

• Bills will sign Jerry Hughes during FA
    • Hughes will sign with another team in FA
  2. 2. If Hughes is not signed by the Bills, how should he be replaced?

• Signing another FA pass rusher (i.e. JPP, Pernell McPhee, etc)
    • Drafting a pass rusher in 2015
    • With a player currently on the roster (Jarius Wynn, Randell Johnson, etc)

I think Hughes is going to get a ton of money from a bad team like the Raiders, will not be nearly as productive and will be cut in two years.

I like Hughes and would like him back but a lot of what he is able to do is bc of the attention the rest of the Dline gets

That could happen but still comes down to guaranteed money and contract structure. 4 years $48 million with $20 million guaranteed may not be better than 4 years $36 million with $25 million guaranteed.

Hughes also must think of a possible 2nd major contract. 4 more years in Buffalo with this talent and Rex gives him the best chance at a 2nd similar contract at 30.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping 8 but that's probably not realistic. I'd be ok with "9 or under" though.

He will be in the Junior Gallett range. Gallett signed 4 years $41 million in September. Gallett has 22 sacks the last 2 years. So I put Hughes market between Gallett and Everson Griffin's $8.5 million.

I guess he could go higher than Gallett but I just don't see it. $9 makes him around top 10 for pass rushers.

That could happen but still comes down to guaranteed money and contract structure. 4 years $48 million with $20 million guaranteed may not be better than 4 years $36 million with $25 million guaranteed.

Hughes also must think of a possible 2nd major contract. 4 more years in Buffalo with this talent and Rex gives him the best chance at a 2nd similar contract at 30.

With the injury risk I dont think anyone factors in subsequent deals like that. + at 30 his value will already be dropping due to age. All signals point to get max $$$$$$$$'s now Edited by JTSP

• 4 weeks later...

nope. I voted "signed to long term agrmt" and "draft a pass rusher"

Whaley grew up in the Steeler way. Get rid of guys a year too soon, rather than a year too late. But this doesnt apply to Hughes. He's still an ascending player. And we can afford it.

The Steeler way also suggests you can never have enuf pass rush, like the Giants way. I see them drafting in the 2nd and 3rd either RB+DE or RB+CB (unless a STUD TE is there at 50, but unlikely). Whaley recently echoed Buddy by saying you have to draft at least one CB every year.

Edited by maddenboy

I honestly think Hughes is fools gold and a bad investment. His production is tied to the 3 elite guys he got to play with and his stats are a product of their play. I do not think he is a #1 DE and capable of carrying a pass rush for a team on his own.

Tag and trade and get a pick if possible. Otherwise let some other team overpay him and use the $ to sign a replacement and maybe a starter on the O Line.

Tagging a DE would make him a very unattractive trade. $10M/yr is thought to be a good offer for Hughes. Current estimate is franchise for a DE will be $15M for one year.

From the trade partner perspective, you trade for a franchise guy getting maybe $5M/yr more than he might take on a long-term contract AND you still have to negotiate with him successfully for a long term deal or it's "one and done". That's why Tag/trade doesn't happen very much.

He will be in the Junior Gallett range. Gallett signed 4 years $41 million in September. Gallett has 22 sacks the last 2 years. So I put Hughes market between Gallett and Everson Griffin's $8.5 million.

I guess he could go higher than Gallett but I just don't see it. $9 makes him around top 10 for pass rushers.

I'm sure Hughes agent has Galette's contract firmly in mind and would like something similar. As someone else said, the "devil" will be in the details of how much guaranteed, how much tied to production or playing milestones, how much up-front. Galette's contract is very interesting because it is heavily loaded to 2015 - he got a $2.7M bonus and he's due to get $12.5 M this year towards his $16.8 guaranteed. Then his salary actually declines to $5-7M/yr. Galette reportedly had the right to opt out and reno if he achieved 24 sacks in 2 years, which he didn't quite hit.

In this case I am seriously doubting the no news is good news axiom. I thought this would be done this week. It looks like either the Bills are going to have to franchise him or let him hit free agency.

why did you think it would be done this week? How many FAs from other teams have been signed so far? King Dunlap and... Edited by YoloinOhio

why did you think it would be done this week? How many FAs from other teams have been signed so far? King Dunlap and...

Yeah, his agent wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't let it go right down to the wire...

He also could be doing like a number of players do, assuming he does want to stay in Buffalo, don't sign anything now, see what kind of offers he can get, then take his best offer back to Buffalo for them to match, or at least come close, then he signs here. Likely some team will offer him stupid money though and he will sign elsewhere, particularly some team that is weak at pass rush.

I also think he's the by product of those around him, there's a good chance he signs elsewhere in two years whomever signs him finds that out and cuts him, so in the long run he could make more money by signing for less in Buffalo as has a better chance of playing out the contract.

why did you think it would be done this week? How many FAs from other teams have been signed so far? King Dunlap and...

My thought that it would be done this week was based on Whaley's overwhelmingly positive view of the negotiations vis a vis the other Buffalo free agents, where he was less confident and more open about the difficulties that lay ahead (Spiller and Searcy in particular). I am told that confidence was based in part on prior dealings the Bills have had with Hughes's agent on other player contracts and how close they were while at the combine.

It is my understanding that the tag has to be in place some time Monday (though I confess I may be wrong on the deadline). As a consequence, to avoid either tagging him or letting him get to the marketplace (where I have no confidence the Bills will compete with any over aggressive bidders) they would need to have a deal done by Monday. Having the full week after the combine, it seemed to me, would be when this would occur. I really question whether the Bills will tag Hughes and if they don't have a deal nor use the tag, I think he is as good as gone.

I think the Bills have been aggressive in trying to work through a deal with Hughes based on everything I've read and heard. Why does this differ from other teams? Perhaps there have been no indications that other teams have pursued their own free agents as the Bills have Hughes (except for King Dunlap obviously).

Edited by norton20

My thought that it would be done this week was based on Whaley's overwhelmingly positive view of the negotiations vis a vis the other Buffalo free agents, where he was less confident and more open about the difficulties that lay ahead (Spiller and Searcy in particular). I am told that confidence was based in part on prior dealings the Bills have had with Hughes's agent on other player contracts and how close they were while at the combine.

It is my understanding that the tag has to be in place some time Monday (though I confess I may be wrong on the deadline). As a consequence, to avoid either tagging him or letting him get to the marketplace (where I have no confidence the Bills will compete with any over aggressive bidders) they would need to have a deal done by Monday. Having the full week after the combine, it seemed to me, would be when this would occur. I really question whether the Bills will tag Hughes and if they don't have a deal nor use the tag, I think he is as good as gone.

I think the Bills have been aggressive in trying to work through a deal with Hughes based on everything I've read and heard. Why does this differ from other teams? Perhaps there have been no indications that other teams have pursued their own free agents as the Bills have Hughes (except for King Dunlap obviously).

they won't tag him. All the deals will be done with ufas this coming week with existing teams. IMO of course.

No doubt Whaley is confident and with good reason. They are going to pay the man.

they won't tag him. All the deals will be done with ufas this coming week with existing teams. IMO of course.

No doubt Whaley is confident and with good reason. They are going to pay the man.

We'll see by 4 pm next Saturday (3/7) apparently. The tag deadline is Tuesday. I thought they might get it done and announce it well before then and well before the tag deadline. If the Bills don't have a deal in place by Tuesday and don't tag Hughes, what incentive does he have to sign before talking to other teams (officially on 3/7,...I am sure they are already talking)?

Idk if this is accurate but

@RQUINN619: #Bills can save $12.1 million in '15 cap by restructuring Mario Williams contract. Doubt they will, but something to think about

I don't know how they can do that. I suppose it's possible, but it seems like they'd have to do a backloaded extension with a lot of guaranteed money to make that work. We've already enjoyed the lower hit years on his deal and a lot of his cap hit is money that's already been paid.

My take on these situations is that in cases of elite players like Hughes (and make no mistake about it - he played like an elite player this year and probably created more havoc than Mario overall), they ALWAYS go the FA route unless they're tagged. It would be foolish not to do so if you think about it. There is no doubt that he is a very good and productive player at one of the most important positions, and it's a position of need across the league. Just look at the Falcons.

I don't know how they can do that. I suppose it's possible, but it seems like they'd have to do a backloaded extension with a lot of guaranteed money to make that work. We've already enjoyed the lower hit years on his deal and a lot of his cap hit is money that's already been paid.

Mario is due a big salary this year...just convert to roster bonus and spread over remaining years