What do you think will happen with Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

Jerry Hughes  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of Jerry Hughes's pending FA?

• Bills will sign Jerry Hughes during FA
    • Hughes will sign with another team in FA
  2. 2. If Hughes is not signed by the Bills, how should he be replaced?

• Signing another FA pass rusher (i.e. JPP, Pernell McPhee, etc)
    • Drafting a pass rusher in 2015
    • With a player currently on the roster (Jarius Wynn, Randell Johnson, etc)

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this even an issue?

Restructure Mario Williams deal

Sign Hughes

Problem solved

This in no way is going to affect our ability to sign Darius....we are NEVER close to the salary cap limit folks

I agree. Pushing cap back would be bad if we had a QB to sign in 3 years. With Pegulas money we should work the cap until we find a QB. Couldn't do this with Ralph. Edited by TheTruthHurts

Why is this even an issue?

Restructure Mario Williams deal

Sign Hughes

Problem solved

This in no way is going to affect our ability to sign Darius....we are NEVER close to the salary cap limit folks

Idk if this is accurate but

@RQUINN619: #Bills can save $12.1 million in '15 cap by restructuring Mario Williams contract. Doubt they will, but something to think about

I think he will get a big contract elsewhere and then fade away into a nobody. If he wants to continue putting up numbers then stick with this DL. Otherwise go to another team and get double-teamed

I think your on right on. example Byrd an there were other's Greed is a powerful thing.

Buffalo Bills ‏@buffalobills 16m16 minutes ago

Free agent DE Jerry Hughes: I definitely want to be back http://bufbills.co/nWAjbY

Seems weird the Bills official twitter keeps posting stuff on Hughes. I don't remember them doing this with Byrd but maybe I misremember.

Let's hope so! I think he is a very important signing.

Byrd was pretty quiet.

Plus marrone handled all social media then, right?

Don't get me wrong, I love Hughes on this team. I just don't love him to the tune of $13 million a year. Because this isn't like the penny pinching years of Ralph. Pegula WILL spend to the cap, which means that 13 mill not spent on Hughes will actually be spent on other positions of need, unlike prior years where it just seemed like they wanted to save money.

I drool at the thought of what these new coaches could do with $13 million extra to throw around.

"home town discount" is a thing of the past. counter-intuitively big money has made it that way. years ago the difference between highest bidder vs 2nd or 3rd may have been around a few $100K, now it can be well north of $1 million .... just too much to leave on the table. IMO Hughes is not versatile enough to drop back in coverage and play LB. he's a good edge rusher in 4-3 when he can play off the other guys. I could be wrong about this, but if Im not they shouldnt over pay for this guy and let him go if someone is bidding more. When players are showing no loyalty to teams (and with the dollars at stake i can see why), teams need to do the same to protect themselves. cheaters as they may be, but the best franchise for the last 15 years gets this

Edited by JTSP

Bills Defense Rankings

2012 (pre Jerry Hughes): 26th pts / 22nd yds

2013: 20th pts / 10th yds

2014: 4th pts / 4th yds

The Bills will severely regret letting Jerry Hughes get away. You don't hire Rex Ryan as your head coach and then let a player as intimidating, productive and versatile as Hughes leave. Overpay by a couple of million if you have to, just get it done because Rex Ryan's defenses were no longer good enough to get them in the playoffs or even a winning record when he started losing his best defensive players.

Those rankings have to do with a lot more than just Hughes.

2011 Draft: M. Dareus, A. Williams, K. Sheppard, D. Searcy

2012 Free Agency: M. Williams

2012 Draft: S. Gilmore, R. Brooks

2013 Offseason: Trade K. Sheppard for J. Hughes

2013 Draft: K. Alonso, D. Williams

2014 Draft: P. Brown

That's a lot of good pieces that got put in place in a short span

Those rankings have to do with a lot more than just Hughes.

2011 Draft: M. Dareus, A. Williams, K. Sheppard, D. Searcy

2012 Free Agency: M. Williams

2012 Draft: S. Gilmore, R. Brooks

2013 Offseason: Trade K. Sheppard for J. Hughes

2013 Draft: K. Alonso, D. Williams

2014 Draft: P. Brown

That's a lot of good pieces that got put in place in a short span

Read my post showing stats. It's like everyone is ignoring them because they don't want to believe Hughes means a lot to the defense.

Some stats to show his impact.

First 8 games of 2013 28 snaps per game

381 yards allowed per game

27 points allowed per game

27 sacks

Final 8 games of 2013 48 snaps per game

286 yards allowed per game

22 points allowed per game

30 sacks

2014 his snap count similar to final 8 games in 2013, the D was 4th overall in yards and points allowed. #1 in sacks.

I'll just bump this.

Read my post showing stats. It's like everyone is ignoring them because they don't want to believe Hughes means a lot to the defense.

I'll just bump this.

I went back and found it, but thanks for the bump :thumbsup:

I think a big part of those numbers has more to do with us facing weak offenses in the last 8 games that year (minus Atlanta and New England). I guess what I'm getting at is if we are going to pay over $10M a year for a pass rusher I prefer JPP or Justin Houston. If Hughes would go for the 4 year $36-38M deal mentioned earlier in the thread I'm happy, otherwise we draft a guy or pick up McPhee or something

I went back and found it, but thanks for the bump :thumbsup:

I think a big part of those numbers has more to do with us facing weak offenses in the last 8 games that year (minus Atlanta and New England). I guess what I'm getting at is if we are going to pay over $10M a year for a pass rusher I prefer JPP or Justin Houston. If Hughes would go for the 4 year $36-38M deal mentioned earlier in the thread I'm happy, otherwise we draft a guy or pick up McPhee or something

JPP and Houston are going to get a lot more than what Hughes gets.

I'de be shocked if Hughes got over $9 million unless tagged.

I think Hughes is going to get a ton of money from a bad team like the Raiders, will not be nearly as productive and will be cut in two years.

I like Hughes and would like him back but a lot of what he is able to do is bc of the attention the rest of the Dline gets