Jimmy Sexton is still busy (Marrone)...

eball

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is exactly why I hate the media over the past 10-15 years...Mort was so protective of Tom Donahoe and yet TD never received another Front Office Job. Same goes for Schefter. Why can't these folks be honest with their opinions.

it goes both ways unfortunately, Schefter helps Sexton out with this and he gives Schefter the scoop on possible free agent signings, coaching rumors, etc...its all politics

The "positive stories" have been viewed universally as too little and too late. Marrone absolutely can and should at least consider firing Sexton.

Considering Marrone took a far lower position (the assistant head coach was a courtesy move) and hasn't fired Sexton yet, I'd be inclined to believe it was Marrone's decision all along. In which case, Marrone should fire himself.

The "positive stories" have been viewed universally as too little and too late. Marrone absolutely can and should at least consider firing Sexton.

Sexton had a job lined up for him. The Jets were going to hire him. Marrone fukked it up himself in a few different ways after the fact. Nothing to do with Sexton.

it goes both ways unfortunately, Schefter helps Sexton out with this and he gives Schefter the scoop on possible free agent signings, coaching rumors, etc...its all politics

True though I think that Schefter is losing credibility. In his position, that's all he's got to trade in. With that gone, he'll be correctly recognized as a paid shill, and nothing else

Marrone made a fool of himself. He has lost credibility with players, management, and fans. Who would want a guy who put himself so far in the hole?

What made matters worse is that Ryan took his job. Marrone was probably counting on the Bills having a hard time finding a replacement. Wrong.

I wish the Jets would have hired him.

Unfortunately, Bills fans won't be able to scream at him next year, because the Jacksonville game is going to be in London. Not Ontario, England. Had the game been at the Ralph, he would have been pelted with tomatoes and chicken wing bones.

Sorry, but no dice. One month ago he was the head coach of a 9-7 team that most people see as being on the upswing. Today he is the OL coach of one of the three worst teams in football -- notwithstanding any other title he negotiated with the team. There's no way that can be interpreted as anything but a mistake. I agree with Schefter that circumstances could change, but the ONLY way that it turns out not to be a mistake is if (1) he gets another head coaching position in the NFL or at an elite college AND (2) his next job is actually better than the one he just left. Just getting another job won't be enough (see Mularkey, Michael R.). I readily admit that it's possible, but I have a hard time seeing how he gets there from his current gig. . .

This is so deliriously transparent. How can anyone accurately project which HC candidates will be available or which franchises will have vacancies a year from now? Why would Marrone be more desirable next year than this year? I suppose it's only embarrassing for someone like Schefter if you're looking closely at his comments as we are. Fans of other teams likely just nod their heads at such a "report".

yep

I like Schefter (usually), but I just do not see it. Not only did Saint Doug embarrass himself and rub people around the league the wrong way, his new job is not exactly a platform to show what a "great" coach he is.

I think the Jags are going to be improved. Nevertheless, they can just as easily go in the other direction with Doug and the rest of the staff losing their jobs. How would that look on his resume?

P.S. Jimmy Sexton has really re-confirmed that he is a very good agent. He almost had people believing that chicken sh*t was chicken salad.

Edited by Peter

In all honesty

I am trying to remember a time when we had a HC that specialized in one area and that area was the weakest part of the team.......meaning the OL

I dont know if I have EVER see that

Generally if you have a DC going to HC....you can count on the defense being good.....and vice versa

Marrone has a claim on NOTHING

Richie Kotite. A gift to The Bills. He was a gem of a HC for the JESTS. I wish he were still their HC. :D

Considering Marrone took a far lower position (the assistant head coach was a courtesy move) and hasn't fired Sexton yet, I'd be inclined to believe it was Marrone's decision all along. In which case, Marrone should fire himself.

He already did

Sexton had a job lined up for him. The Jets were going to hire him. Marrone fukked it up himself in a few different ways after the fact. Nothing to do with Sexton.

It was the ensuing PR disaster that torpedoed the Jets job.

He may have had a job lined up, but the NYC media destroyed Marrone and Sexton was weak responding. By then Woody couldn't, from a PR perspective, hire Marrone. It would've gone over like a lead balloon.

I would argue Sexton didn't botch this, Marrone did...he went "off the reservation" as soon as he opted out, blowing any chance he had to land another HC job. Sexton has been pumping positive stories through his national contacts and other clients like a madman.

Of course, knowing the egomaniac Marrone is, he probably blames Sexton for all of it, but can't fire him because, you know, he got him that free $4M and all...

Agreed. "Let's get you out of Buffalo, I've got everything set up with the Jets" turned into "why the hell did you have to pull that move with Polian and give everyone the impression you're a vindictive loose cannon." Sounds like Marrone had a situation ready to walk into and his ego and petty nature took him out of the running in NY. That and Saint Manish, who made many of my days with the vitriol he directed towards Doug.

Marrone shot himself in the foot. This comments makes it seem like you're unaware of how the Jets situation played out in the media...except I know you are familiar with it because I've seen you comment on it.

He already did

It was the ensuing PR disaster that torpedoed the Jets job.

Exactly. Caused by Marrone's own doing, not Sexton's. Marrone badmouthed the Bills and then didn't text the players. That turned the Bills fans and a lot of writers on him for being a dick. Then Mehta jumped on the bandwagon. That inflated it. Then writers started asking around. Then Casullo got invited on a radio show to say what he thought. Then more and more stories about him being a dick surfaced. Then everyone piled on. Then Marrone had to defend himself against all that in front of Johnson and blew it. So Johnson backed off his own consultants recommendation.

If Marrone would have not been an ass after he opted out, he'd be the Jets coach now. Sexton had the job set up perfectly for him.

He may have had a job lined up, but the NYC media destroyed Marrone and Sexton was weak responding. By then Woody couldn't, from a PR perspective, hire Marrone. It would've gone over like a lead balloon.

See above. Marrone did that to himself. There was no response to it that Sexton could have stopped. He did all his could with his national and NY sources.

Exactly. Caused by Marrone's own doing, not Sexton's. Marrone badmouthed the Bills and then didn't text the players. That turned the Bills fans and a lot of writers on him for being a dick. Then Mehta jumped on the bandwagon. That inflated it. Then writers started asking around. Then Casullo got invited on a radio show to say what he thought. Then more and more stories about him being a dick surfaced. Then everyone piled on. Then Marrone had to defend himself against all that in front of Johnson and blew it. So Johnson backed off his own consultants recommendation.

If Marrone would have not been an ass after he opted out, he'd be the Jets coach now. Sexton had the job set up perfectly for him.

See above. Marrone did that to himself. There was no response to it that Sexton could have stopped. He did all his could with his national and NY sources.

And that has been a problem. Marrone was never able to take criticism from the reporters while he was a HC. It shows a poor maturity level that i would have concerns as a HC. I am sure Johnson looked at Marrone not having a thick skin and would have significant issues with media in NYC which is far more vitriol than the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse/Toronto media.