Rex Ryan from a Jets fan POV

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new here, and I'm a Jets fan. I wanted to join this board because I interact with a lot of fans from other AFC East teams on Jetsnation.com and now that Rex is in Buffalo I thought it would be interesting to see how his 2nd shot at running the show goes.

So here's my take on Rex, after 6 years of watching just about everything he did from his 1st "take a swipe at one of ours we will take a swipe at 2 of yours" press conference until his last day... a few short weeks ago. Jets fans were very split over Rex. Some diehard types signed on with Rex and never gave up on him. Others supported him when they were winning and started jumping ship somewhere around midway through the 2012 season. These days just about the whole fan base is focused on moving forward.

I am not a Rex Ryan fan, I should be very transparent about that. I'm not a Rex basher, but from the day he was signed I asked the question "why did one of the best run organizations in pro sports pass him over for the HC position and go with some unknown special teams coach?" I'm referring to The Ravens choosing Harbaugh over Rex in 2008. This could have caused a mutiny because Rex was so beloved by those players. But Ozzy Newsome felt that a guy, who was with that team for almost a decade at that point, was missing something important. I wondered what that was back in January of 2009.

I attended my first Rex Ryan practice in August of 09'. I was truly stunned at the pace and overall atmosphere. It was so casual. Rex walked around socializing with players and coaches, the drills that were being run were sloppy with zero intensity.... I was not panicked, but it seemed like something was missing.

I liked that Rex decided to trust his gut and start Sanchez as a rookie. He was asked about the rocky road that may lie ahead by having a rookie starter and Rex gave the best answer I ever heard. He said "with Mark we aren't waiting on a mistake, we are waiting on a play". That quote is Rex Ryan. I was impressed with that approach and it really shows the good Rex brings to the table. He got a lot out of Mark those first two years because he has an optimistic outlook that really motivates everyone around him. I would say he's special in that way.

So that's the positive about Rex. He believes, he motivates, and it's not an act. Trust me, this guy is the real deal, what you see is what you get.

Now on to the bad Rex. The reason I feel he failed with my Jets is because of one main thing... he is a good department manager.... or in the NFL a coordinator. He does not have the qualities one would want to see in a CEO. A CEO, a high level executive who leads a billion dollar business, has no room in their life for loyalty. A CEO has to be cold, calculated, and always focused on the bottom line.

For example, when John Harbaugh was told what happened in the elevator with Ray Rice he was the only one in the room with all of the top Ravens brass who said.... without hesitation, he needs to be cut. It's well known that Harbaugh and Rice had a very close relationship as player and coach. But the CEO mindset made it clear to Harbaugh that behavior like that couldn't be tolerated and I'm sure he was also worried about the backlash from the media. The owner of the Ravens and their legendary GM are pretty high level executives and even they admitted that Harbaugh was the only one who made that call from day 1.

Rex does not favor competition, because of his loyalty. Over and over I would see him crown a guy a starter (at any position) and then just let the guy struggle... not just for weeks or months but for multiple seasons. My top 3 examples are Sanchez ( I won't say much about him, he was a disaster from early 2011 to the end of 2012, it's well documented) Eric Smith (safety) and the one and only Bart Scott.

If you don't really follow the Jets you may not even know who Smith is. He was out starter for 3 years under Rex, and he was horrendous. He was a big hitter....and that was it. He missed tackles all over the field (week in and week out) and he couldnt cover the slowest tight end in the NFL. But he was a Rex guy, and he started like 40 plus games under Rex.

Scott was the #1 guy Rex targeted when he left the Ravens. Rex and our GM were actually parked in front of Bart's house in Maryland on the night free agency started in 2009. The clock struck midnight and they rang his bell. That's how much Rex needed him. He was pure, hot garbage. He was given a ridiculous contract and never came near beating out David Harris for the starting ILB spot. Not only did he miss tackles in the most glorious fashion each week but he also drew the most idiotic penalties that cost us games.

But, he was a big talker and Rex truly loved this guy. So he drained our salary cap and was a waste of space on our team for 4 years. This is how loyalty can hinder you as a CEO.

What I saw with Rex as our coach (even in 2009 & 2010 when we had success) was a few definitive characteristics.

Inexplicable presnap penalties and general confusion. The 12 men on the field thing happened at least 80% of the games Rex coached over his 6 years.

We saw the defense give up huge plays at key moments routinely, even when they would dominate 80% of the snaps. Giving up long drives before half time was common.

Offensively, turn overs... That's it, turn overs and horrible red zone effeciency. Remember we had 3 different OC's, 2 different highly drafted QB's and 2 different GM's. And the offense always seemed to have the same issues.

Stubborn play calling and overall defensive system. Rex doesn't contour anything to the talent on the team. I also never saw any halftime adjustments. If we started out struggling running the ball. In the 2nd half, we ran the ball more. If we were getting beat with long passes because of aggressive blitzing, in the second half we kept bring 6 and 7 guys on the pass rush.

Delusional praising of players. Just look at some of the post game pressers in 2014 alone. We'd lose by 20+ points and he would talk about how Richardson played just as hard in the 1st quarter as he did in the 4th. He may have registerd 2 tackles, zero sacks, zero passes batted down, and we gave up 100+ yards on the ground... But Rex wants to praise our defenses effort.

Finally was the lack of accountability. You may have followed Geno Smiths nightmare season in 2014. You all had an underachiever of your own in Buffalo. But your situation was handled properly. When the season was still up for grabs you benched your #1 draft pick from the previous year. He wasn't getting it done so you went with the vet. Rex's approach with a young QB is what I call the "ride it to the wheels come off" method. He drove Geno into the ground, while letting a savvy seasoned vet sit on the bench and watch. He waited until 1-7 to pull the guy with the 2nd worst QBR in the league. He also did nothing when Geno flipped off the fans in our stadium after being heckled for a horrendous loss, and did nothing when he skipped a team meeting the night before a game.

When the Seahwaks signed Mat Flynn as a free agent years back they gave him pretty decent money. I think he was getting 8 to 10 million that first year. They also drafted a 3rd rounder who was undersized and getting paid about $450,000. The underdog won the completion fair and square, and they are about to win their 2nd championship in 2 years ...and Flynn is a distance memory.

Rex would have NEVER started Wilson. Even if Flynn went out and threw 20 INt's. That's a fact.

Obviously as a a Jets fan I don't want to see the Bills or any other AFC team have success. But I honestly don't wish your team negativity with Rex. I hope he does hit the reset button and learn from the past. But keep in mind some of my observations after 6 years with him. If you see this same stuff happening it may be a red flag. So far I like the energy he's brought to Buffalo but I am pretty shocked with some of the offensive coaches he has brought with him from my Jets. Guys who have terrible track records. It feels like vintage Rex, but let's see the results before judging his decisions.

Well written. Very few coaches have success with their first stop as the head guy. Baltimore not making him the HC doesn't amount to much if you ask me. Rex admitted in the presser that he was going to learn from the mistakes he made in NY. But the guy had you one game from the promise land twice. Tannanbaum IMO ruined you guys with his signings of Holmes and Edwards offensively. There was never any continuity and the defense basically out grew the offense. It's still solid but now will switch cultures with Bowles. He's a good hire and I wish the Jets luck. Only AFC east time i don't hate.

I think coaches like Marrone from college (and Harbaugh for that matter) ride guys so hard that they wear them out. If they are winning it's ok, if they aren't it wears the players down. I don't think Marrone ever really lost the locker room, but I think nfl players are different than college players and sometimes a different approach helps. I have some knowledge into the Tony Dungy era in Indy and the Mike McCoy team in SD and they are run similarly. They may not be the outward personality Rex is/was but the way they ran TC was very close. All different types of coaches have succeeded. Get a QB and you look like a genius.

Interesting read, living in the NYC area and being lifelong Bills fan, but not as close to Jets as you, the Jets D as you, imo Rex has been defensive coach. So part of what you write about his style has worked for the D despite your criticism of the Bart Scott deal.

On offense, management screwed the Jets offensive line and skill positions and left running the offense to an over the hill veteran and a ill supported wet behind the ears rookie who may not be NFL material.

The Bills have plenty of skill on offense and an improving line that may be better for the ground and pound that Rex espouses. That being said, we shall see what space Rex gives the new OC Roman to run it and with GM who is a much better, though unclear if elite growing personnel guy, how much talent especially at QB he is able to bring in to support Rex.

Roman has a rep as a discipline kinda guy, so maybe those concerns that you expressed are unfounded. But yes on the offensive side the jury is out. Interesting.

Yeah, I'm with North Buffalo on this. I appreciate that our Jets visitor offered his personal POV and while I'm sure there are nuggets of truth and valuable insight in here, something doesn't quite add up. If Rex is so poor at accountability, how is it that his defense the past 6 years is 2nd best in the NFL? Why were his defenses at Baltimore so dominant?

Rex, despite his flaws, has in fact proven this ability to run a defense. The key questions now, I think, are: can Whaley find him sufficient offensive talent? Can Roman take that talent and put together a productive offense? If you believe the answer to these questions are affirmative, the Bills will be in the playoffs.

Thanks to you Jets fans for taking the time to give a thoughtful take on Rex. Consider yourself fortunate that us Bills fans don't have to give you our lowdown on St.Doug Marrone. I think Manish Mehta saved you guys a lot of pain.

Lol! Very true.

And yes, thanks to the OP for such a good post.

Yeah, I'm with North Buffalo on this. I appreciate that our Jets visitor offered his personal POV and while I'm sure there are nuggets of truth and valuable insight in here, something doesn't quite add up. If Rex is so poor at accountability, how is it that his defense the past 6 years is 2nd best in the NFL? Why were his defenses at Baltimore so dominant?

Rex, despite his flaws, has in fact proven this ability to run a defense. The key questions now, I think, are: can Whaley find him sufficient offensive talent? Can Roman take that talent and put together a productive offense? If you believe the answer to these questions are affirmative, the Bills will be in the playoffs.

Rex's defenses are great with regard to yardage, but check out points allowed the last couple of seasons. That's not all the defense's fault - bad offenses contribute a lot to that -- but the numbers aren't great. Pettine's D last year was good, but they did give up a lot of points too. This sort of D can be suffocating, but it can give up big plays. Thankfully, though, the Bills have good cornerbacks -- which is the key to this defense working. Rex didn't have that the last couple of seasons in NY.

Lol! Very true.

Rex's defenses are great with regard to yardage, but check out points allowed the last couple of seasons. That's not all the defense's fault - bad offenses contribute a lot to that -- but the numbers aren't great. Pettine's D last year was good, but they did give up a lot of points too. This sort of D can be suffocating, but it can give up big plays. Thankfully, though, the Bills have good cornerbacks -- which is the key to this defense working. Rex didn't have that the last couple of seasons in NY.

his secondary was a JV squad this year. Unacceptable that Idzik let that happen. At least the year before he managed to go 8-8 with rookie Geno when he still had Cro back there.

Ryan's fortunes will depend on the QB situation. Just like it does for any HC.

Right? Look at Chuck Pagano.

Thanks for the insight. All I can really say in reaction to what you've described is that one would hope (i) Rex has learned from his mistakes (as many coaches often do - Carroll is a great example); and (ii) having the support but also the accountability of a better GM and ownership structure will help rectify Rex's shortcomings as a CEO. There is no question in my mind that Rex was saddled with two inept GMs (Tannenbaum and then Idzik), along with an owner who is overly responsive to the media and whims of the fanbase. You attribute the Geno Smith situation this year to Rex - but I've heard, and I do believe, that Rex wasn't given full control of his personnel by the front office - I believe he was forced to start Geno for as long as he did. So while your comments ought to give everyone something to think about, I do hope that the situation here s different enough that Rex will be more successful.

dont forget when Tannebaum traded for Tebow. Wtf was that.

I haven't piped in about Rex Ryan yet because I have mixed feelings about the hire. He certainly wasn't my favorite HC candidate, I must admit. Ultimately, I believe it's about the total chemistry of a team that matters most, and some coaches, front offices and player personnel just don't quite fit together well. Also, people change and grow from past experiences and that goes into the mix. If you think back when Marv Levy was the head coach, they called preseason "Club Marv" - and it worked for that team at that time. Yet, I don't think that philosophy would work, let's say, with today's Patriots team, where the players are cogs in the Belichick machine.

The reality is that no one knows how this will end up, but we can hope that the match is better with second-time Rex and today's Buffalo Bills under Pegula's reign.

Ryan's fortunes will depend on the QB situation. Just like it does for any HC.

Let me add that while the Bills are searching for one (it could be EJ or someone else), the smart thing is to build the team around strong defense, ST's, and the running game, as they are planning to do right now.

A Jets fan gives you his opinion on Ryan so now you're pessimistic about the Bills next year?

Nucci, I'm not the one you're responding to, but I'll put it out there...I was not thrilled with Rex as the team's new head coach, and the more assistants follow him from the Jets, the more uncomfortable I get. All that needs doing is to install Sanchize as our next great hope at QB and I'll be shuddering under the blankets.

I respect this guy's post because it echos what we all saw watching the Jets over the years. They played with passion, but were sloppy at times - penalties, dumb mistakes including mistakes from the HC (timeouts, game management). And that guy is right on about the Jets D, it's a high risk gambling D that will stuff the opponent but then let the big play rip, especially on the ground.

So no, not pessimistic, but cautious here....I want to see proof that Rex has learned from his mistakes and will do some things differently. And no, not because the guy is a Jets fan but because it aligns with my Mark IV Eyeballs both the good and the bad.

I was not a fan of David Lee as QB coach here.

Picasso couldn't paint masterpieces with tools made out of ****. Fitzpatrick has serious physical limitations, which were on display before he got here and have continued at both stops since he left. He is what he is.

I don't know if Geno Smith has the mental acuity and drive to be an elite NFL QB. He certainly has the physical skill set but if he doesn't have the "want to", no one will get it out of him.

I was not happy with the hire because I prefer a different HC style. I describe it as a sliding scale from Ditka to Walsh and to me Rex has been too far from the Walsh end of the scale. I think that sustained winning comes from a smart, thinking, problem solving leader and not one that favors pulling the emotional triggers. It's the difference between owning the moment (winning the battles) and reinventing your team year after year (winning the wars.) Rex never did come up with solutions to keep their team near the top. Ther offense never improved.

So I think the OP was spot on. I was actually angry with the hire but I have since, upon further review, decided to be more hopeful. He seems way smarter than Ditka.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

I was not happy with the hire because I prefer a different type of HC type. I describe it as a sliding scale from Ditka to Walsh and to me Rex has been too far from the Walsh end of the scale. I think that sustained winning comes from a smart, thinking, problem solving leader and not one that favors pulling the emotional triggers. It's the difference between owning the moment (winning the battles) and reinventing your team year after year (winning the wars.) Rex never did come up with solutions to keep their team near the top. Ther offense never improved.

So I think the OP was spot on. I was actually angry with the hire but I have since, upon further review, decided to be more hopeful. He seems way smarter than Ditka.

The owner and GMs from the Jets arent here.

Last year Idzik had over 13 draft picks... In a year where WRs were a plenty he picked 3 WRs that were a bust. What the Jest fan is doing is manipulating you. If you notices he has no real knowledge of his team which is a tell tale sign of a real Jets fan.

I almost forgot also Rex couldn't pick his OC so not like he had a choice when his offense was struggling. Bad Owner and bad GMs combined to screw Rex.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Picasso couldn't paint masterpieces with tools made out of ****. Fitzpatrick has serious physical limitations, which were on display before he got here and have continued at both stops since he left. He is what he is.

I don't know if Geno Smith has the mental acuity and drive to be an elite NFL QB. He certainly has the physical skill set but if he doesn't have the "want to", no one will get it out of him.

If QB coaches could really make QBs better, and consistently better, they would be as important and as popular and as well paid as HC, and there are an upwards of none that are generally regarded as great.

To the OP, good post but you kinda lost me at "savvy veteran" and 80% of games in six years had 12 men on field penalties (and on offense or ST that wouldnt be Rex's fault.

^^^^^^^which means the rest is crap. With the structure we now have in place, I believe Rex will thrive. It's all about the offense at this point....and not just the QB. I like the philosophy being talked about at OBD.

Now, make it happen.

to JR in Pitt

wrt the loyalty piece and being a players coach I think one part of the hiring decision had to do with the Pegulas thinking it will help attract FAs here. That plus their history of paying for talent probably makes them optimistic that this can become a place FAs want to go... That plus continued strong drafts leads to winning which leads to easier FAs/extensions of good homegrown talent and so on. I think Hughes, for one, has money at the top of his list as a factor but having Rex here instead of Marrone is likely somewhere on the list of "pros" for Buffalo. Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm new here, and I'm a Jets fan. I wanted to join this board because I interact with a lot of fans from other AFC East teams on Jetsnation.com and now that Rex is in Buffalo I thought it would be interesting to see how his 2nd shot at running the show goes.

So here's my take on Rex, after 6 years of watching just about everything he did from his 1st "take a swipe at one of ours we will take a swipe at 2 of yours" press conference until his last day... a few short weeks ago. Jets fans were very split over Rex. Some diehard types signed on with Rex and never gave up on him. Others supported him when they were winning and started jumping ship somewhere around midway through the 2012 season. These days just about the whole fan base is focused on moving forward.

I am not a Rex Ryan fan, I should be very transparent about that. I'm not a Rex basher, but from the day he was signed I asked the question "why did one of the best run organizations in pro sports pass him over for the HC position and go with some unknown special teams coach?" I'm referring to The Ravens choosing Harbaugh over Rex in 2008. This could have caused a mutiny because Rex was so beloved by those players. But Ozzy Newsome felt that a guy, who was with that team for almost a decade at that point, was missing something important. I wondered what that was back in January of 2009.

I attended my first Rex Ryan practice in August of 09'. I was truly stunned at the pace and overall atmosphere. It was so casual. Rex walked around socializing with players and coaches, the drills that were being run were sloppy with zero intensity.... I was not panicked, but it seemed like something was missing.

I liked that Rex decided to trust his gut and start Sanchez as a rookie. He was asked about the rocky road that may lie ahead by having a rookie starter and Rex gave the best answer I ever heard. He said "with Mark we aren't waiting on a mistake, we are waiting on a play". That quote is Rex Ryan. I was impressed with that approach and it really shows the good Rex brings to the table. He got a lot out of Mark those first two years because he has an optimistic outlook that really motivates everyone around him. I would say he's special in that way.

So that's the positive about Rex. He believes, he motivates, and it's not an act. Trust me, this guy is the real deal, what you see is what you get.

Now on to the bad Rex. The reason I feel he failed with my Jets is because of one main thing... he is a good department manager.... or in the NFL a coordinator. He does not have the qualities one would want to see in a CEO. A CEO, a high level executive who leads a billion dollar business, has no room in their life for loyalty. A CEO has to be cold, calculated, and always focused on the bottom line.

For example, when John Harbaugh was told what happened in the elevator with Ray Rice he was the only one in the room with all of the top Ravens brass who said.... without hesitation, he needs to be cut. It's well known that Harbaugh and Rice had a very close relationship as player and coach. But the CEO mindset made it clear to Harbaugh that behavior like that couldn't be tolerated and I'm sure he was also worried about the backlash from the media. The owner of the Ravens and their legendary GM are pretty high level executives and even they admitted that Harbaugh was the only one who made that call from day 1.

Rex does not favor competition, because of his loyalty. Over and over I would see him crown a guy a starter (at any position) and then just let the guy struggle... not just for weeks or months but for multiple seasons. My top 3 examples are Sanchez ( I won't say much about him, he was a disaster from early 2011 to the end of 2012, it's well documented) Eric Smith (safety) and the one and only Bart Scott.

If you don't really follow the Jets you may not even know who Smith is. He was out starter for 3 years under Rex, and he was horrendous. He was a big hitter....and that was it. He missed tackles all over the field (week in and week out) and he couldnt cover the slowest tight end in the NFL. But he was a Rex guy, and he started like 40 plus games under Rex.

Scott was the #1 guy Rex targeted when he left the Ravens. Rex and our GM were actually parked in front of Bart's house in Maryland on the night free agency started in 2009. The clock struck midnight and they rang his bell. That's how much Rex needed him. He was pure, hot garbage. He was given a ridiculous contract and never came near beating out David Harris for the starting ILB spot. Not only did he miss tackles in the most glorious fashion each week but he also drew the most idiotic penalties that cost us games.

But, he was a big talker and Rex truly loved this guy. So he drained our salary cap and was a waste of space on our team for 4 years. This is how loyalty can hinder you as a CEO.

What I saw with Rex as our coach (even in 2009 & 2010 when we had success) was a few definitive characteristics.

Inexplicable presnap penalties and general confusion. The 12 men on the field thing happened at least 80% of the games Rex coached over his 6 years.

We saw the defense give up huge plays at key moments routinely, even when they would dominate 80% of the snaps. Giving up long drives before half time was common.

Offensively, turn overs... That's it, turn overs and horrible red zone effeciency. Remember we had 3 different OC's, 2 different highly drafted QB's and 2 different GM's. And the offense always seemed to have the same issues.

Stubborn play calling and overall defensive system. Rex doesn't contour anything to the talent on the team. I also never saw any halftime adjustments. If we started out struggling running the ball. In the 2nd half, we ran the ball more. If we were getting beat with long passes because of aggressive blitzing, in the second half we kept bring 6 and 7 guys on the pass rush.

Delusional praising of players. Just look at some of the post game pressers in 2014 alone. We'd lose by 20+ points and he would talk about how Richardson played just as hard in the 1st quarter as he did in the 4th. He may have registerd 2 tackles, zero sacks, zero passes batted down, and we gave up 100+ yards on the ground... But Rex wants to praise our defenses effort.

Finally was the lack of accountability. You may have followed Geno Smiths nightmare season in 2014. You all had an underachiever of your own in Buffalo. But your situation was handled properly. When the season was still up for grabs you benched your #1 draft pick from the previous year. He wasn't getting it done so you went with the vet. Rex's approach with a young QB is what I call the "ride it to the wheels come off" method. He drove Geno into the ground, while letting a savvy seasoned vet sit on the bench and watch. He waited until 1-7 to pull the guy with the 2nd worst QBR in the league. He also did nothing when Geno flipped off the fans in our stadium after being heckled for a horrendous loss, and did nothing when he skipped a team meeting the night before a game.

When the Seahwaks signed Mat Flynn as a free agent years back they gave him pretty decent money. I think he was getting 8 to 10 million that first year. They also drafted a 3rd rounder who was undersized and getting paid about $450,000. The underdog won the completion fair and square, and they are about to win their 2nd championship in 2 years ...and Flynn is a distance memory.

Rex would have NEVER started Wilson. Even if Flynn went out and threw 20 INt's. That's a fact.

Obviously as a a Jets fan I don't want to see the Bills or any other AFC team have success. But I honestly don't wish your team negativity with Rex. I hope he does hit the reset button and learn from the past. But keep in mind some of my observations after 6 years with him. If you see this same stuff happening it may be a red flag. So far I like the energy he's brought to Buffalo but I am pretty shocked with some of the offensive coaches he has brought with him from my Jets. Guys who have terrible track records. It feels like vintage Rex, but let's see the results before judging his decisions.

I understand your frustration as a Jets fan. Much of what happened in NY was due to a meddling front office and not Rex's doing. I know you wanted your team to win the SB and I understand that, but he took a team with inferior talent to two straight AFC championship games. To me, that spells good coaching, period. After that, there were all sorts of moves made by the FO and Rex tried to be a team player and play with the hand he was dealt. It didn't work out, but he was not solely to blame. I for one welcome his confidence and infectious attitude. He is the first real football coach we have had in Buffalo in quite some time. Sorry he didn't get your team to the SB, but if he even gets ours to the playoffs, that will spell success in Buffalo for a franchise that hasn't been there in way too long. I believe he is perfectly capable of doing so. Is he perfect? Hell no. Find me a coach that is. He has his flaws, like any other man or coach, but there is enough ability there to satisfy me. Time will tell if he will be the guy to lead us to the playoffs, but I am confident at this point until he proves me wrong. Go Bills.

The following is copied & pasted from an email from a Jets fan.
Rex has no conception of game management particularly on the offensive side. One other problem... his defenses can hold a team down for two quarters but in the last 2 minutes of a half give up a hell of a lot of points. It got so there was a string of games, in which the Jets were close or ahead, at the end of the first half gave up crucial, momentum changing scores after playing "bend don't break" defense. His guys forget the don't break part.

The following is copied & pasted from an email from a Jets fan.

Rex has no conception of game management particularly on the offensive side. One other problem... his defenses can hold a team down for two quarters but in the last 2 minutes of a half give up a hell of a lot of points. It got so there was a string of games, in which the Jets were close or ahead, at the end of the first half gave up crucial, momentum changing scores after playing "bend don't break" defense. His guys forget the don't break part.

having to play a converted LB at corner and the rest backup quality at best will do that

Although I posted my brother's email, I personally like the hire & feel that Rex will be a success in Bflo.

i hope so, I really don't know because am only used to non-success but this is a new era. But I can't get over that secondary Idzik fielded with all that cap space. And I know they had injuries but he never signed anyone to suitably replace them and it happened early in the season. Both Revis and Cro wanted to come back and he didn't bother despite having the money. If I were Rex I would be livid.

15 seasons with no playoffs. Who can get too up or too down about our new leader. Time will tell. A new owner with no football experience is tough to gauge in wisdom. Kim has none either. Hope Doug had a big say in the choice. Rex sure talks the talk. Time will tell.

Edited by Direhard Fan

I praise you Jets fans for coming to our board with substance, and good debate. I for one feel better with Rex at the helm than Marone. Edited by DirtDart

Lol! Very true.

Then again, look at the players Tannebaum and Idzik acquired for him. You can't blame a poker player for the hand he's dealt, just how he plays it.

Then again, look at the players Tannebaum and Idzik acquired for him. You can't blame a poker player for the hand he's dealt, just how he plays it.

Rex was dealt Uno cards for a poker game. Idzik picked 3 WRs last year and all three are busts... In the best WR draft he got the three busts.

Not that I disagree with your overall post, but....

1) best run organizations in the NFL? Big market and exposure doesn't mean well run. You had Mangini and Herm before Rex. The GM position there has been garbage for a while. Groh is the only coach under Johnson (I didnt include Parcells because his last year was 99, and Woody bought the team in 99). 15 years 5 coaches, all losing records overall. The Bills have been hot garbage for about the same period, and nobody is calling us well run over that time. Infact the current FO is probably the most supported so far, and there are still people who think its a mess.

2) the Ravens thing. Bisciotti has said that he normally takes a back seat for those decisions. But got a personal recommendation from Hoodie himself, so stepped in and pushed the hire. Not sure if Rex was the front runner prior to that. May not have been, which would make your point valid.

3) I thought Bart Scott played a lot a pretty high level for a while. I don't know what the contract was, or his weekly production since I don't watch a ton of you guys, but every time I did Bart looked like a good player.

4) you did overachieve on D this year considering talent at corner in relation to the system. Which proves a prior point of yours. I took those comments as finger pointing at terrible offensive production rather than blind optimism of the how well they played.

5) your QB situation was much worse than ours. Geno has some better games than EJ, but EJ has yet to lay a single clunker that is anything similar to what Geno has done at times. Also Vick is garbage.

I hope you're wrong about personel usage and adjustments. It will absolutely be in the back of my head through the season.

Good post- good insight. I see some of Marv Levy with Rex. Great motivator and the players loved him. He ran "Camp Marv" in Fredonia. It was real loose. The difference is that Marv had Jim Kelly who ran the offense. There was also string keadership up top with Polian. Whakey is no Polian. Marv was the glue that kept it all together. He kept egos in check. There were lots of big egos on that team. They bickered and it cost the team early in until they unified. I don't see egos on this team. They are unified and Rex will

help in that area and only bring them more together. But, this team has no leader like Kelly. This will be an interesting year.

I agree. There are ways to counteract that loyalty. For example, it sounds like Roman will be running the entire offense. I wouldn't expect Rex to veto Roman based on "loyalty" to players.

But in NY, Rex either hired OCs with horrible judgement or horrible loyalty (which he failed to override/control), OR, Rex overrode his OC to keep Sanchez/Smith etc because of loyalty?

Good luck with your Rookie HC. I am happy to have Rex and hope that in a new situation he will correct any issues he may have.

The one thing you failed to account for in the entire post is the GM of the Jets. You are on your 3rd GM in 3 years. Not sure if that is Rex's issue and its pretty easy to show that the Jets haven't drafted well or gotten good value out of Free Agency. Not sure if that is Rex's fault.

Thanks for the detailed post. It gives me a lot to ponder about Ryan. I clearly don't follow the Jets like you do . From long range it looked to me like your defense was never the same after Kris Jenkins, who was a monster, got hurt. The Gholston pick was a diaster and after Mangold and Ferguson were drafted, they never adequately addressed the OL. Losing both Reevis and Cromartie without adequate replacements was just bad personnel work by your GM. From here it looked like major personnel problems compounded by bad QB play. Poor wideouts too.

I am hoping Roman can fit the scheme to his players and keep Ryan working only with the D. Lord knows the Bills have lots of good D personnel for Ryan to scheme with.

Edited by norton20

OP, I come here daily but seldom log on/post. Had to today though to tell you thank you for your well-thought out / informative post. I'm sure by the nature of being a Jets fan you're going to get some a'hole responses, I don't have time to read the follow-on posts right now, but it is posts like this that keep the spirit alive and keep me coming back.

I appreciate the insight from you and here's hoping for two Bills well-earned victories over your boys this year! :)

Cheers brother!