New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen numerous references from other QBs who have weighed in on this or whose names have been mentioned, but none of them to my knowledge, has ever said they were illegal. Aaron Rodgers wasn't. Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon wasn't. Matt Leinhart wasn't. Which QB said he played with balls that were illegally under inflated? even Rodgers never said the balls were above or below the legal limits.

I didn't refer to anyone in particular, but I wouldn't expect them to necessarily admit that what they did was illegal. Doesn't mean it wasn't.

Even though it is against the rules. And you're jumping to conclusions when you say he knows referees turn a blind eye to it.

There are lots of rules broken every game. When detected, they are penalized. This one carries a $25,000 fine, not a year suspension, or any of the other extreme penalties that have been suggested.

It's a big leap from, that fine, to a year suspension.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Again, HOLDING is cheating. It gets penalized during the game. It's a matter of degree. Speeding doesn't get you a life sentence,

Nope. It's a penalty, if we catch you again, just like Holding, we call it again.

You don't conspire to hold.

And penalties occur on the field of play.

Edited by FireChan

I didn't refer to anyone in particular, but I wouldn't expect them to necessarily admit that what they did was illegal. Doesn't mean it wasn't.

Ah yes, the old prove a negative ploy again. You don't know that what they did was illegal. Everything I've read has suggested that quarterbacks like softer footballs, and if they get one that's really soft, they won't throw it out. Just like most pitchers won't throw a scuffed baseball out of play. It's the act of doctoring a ball outside legal parameters that's at issue here. None of the quarterbacks has said "I had my footballs deflated to less than the minimum psi during a football game, after the referees had certified them as acceptable."

Edited by BRH

I was chased out of the other thread, because dissent is not tolerated.

I feel it is a minor transgression, worthy of a 15 yard penalty if caught during the game, with a fine later.

I think it is being fueled by opposing fan's pettiness, and a click baiting media.

Anyone else feel similarly?

I don't think this is overblown and they should lose a 5th or 6th round draft pick. They should feel something that stings a little bit for cheating. If it was a 1 point game people would be a lot more upset. You can grip the ball better in colder weather when it is smaller and you also have better accuracy on your field goal kicks when there is some give to the ball and it is not a blown up rock. They do it for better feel. Obviously, they have a reason for deflating the balls and it is not fair and against NFL rules.

Define tamper. I don't see in there where they were altered beyond league limits. Scuffing a slick new ball to some extent is important. Changing pressure within allowable limits is fine. A pattern of defying the league is something else.

+1000

They aren't going to be disqualified, but I can't see how Belichick is going to be allowed to coach in this game. The fact that they cheated again forces the NFL to lower the boom on them this time.

I think there's a good chance that Belichick has already coached his last game for the Patriots and rightly so.

Post a link to this claim.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/leinart-says-every-quarterback-tampers-with-the-ball-except-one/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Again, HOLDING is cheating. It gets penalized during the game. It's a matter of degree. Speeding doesn't get you a life sentence,

No, for chrissake, this is not the same thing as friggin holding. If someone needs to explain to you the difference, than your thread isn't worth my time.

Edited by todd

It's overblown because it involves a franchise that has been repeatedly implicated in cheating controversies since 2000.

Here's my take. If you don't want to enforce league rules, don't have any rules. Because if you let crap like this slide, where is the line? When does become it a big deal?

This team has been accused of everything from stealing signals to having a secret radio channel to their QBs helmet. And without fail some people defend and make excuses for them.

If that's how it's going to be, if the Pats are allowed to piss on the rulebook when they want, I say fine, it's open season then. No rules. Every team for itself.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I feel it is a minor transgression, worthy of a 15 yard penalty if caught during the game, with a fine later.

I think it is being fueled by opposing fan's pettiness, and a click baiting media.

Overblown is an understatement. Countless QBs have come out and said they do it too, past and present. Even Aaron Rodgers said he OVER inflates them to see if the officials will deflate them because its easier for his grip when over inflated. If this was any other team, this would be a non story. But since its the Pats who have negative history, and they are about to play in the Super Bowl, its being grossly over blown.

Every single QB in the league doctors their footballs. So much so that Peyton Manning spear headed that the players be allowed to handle the balls, not the league, all so they can keep doctoring the ball by scuffing them up or changing the air pressure.

And as bad as its being over blown in the media, its three times worse here because everyone hates the Pats. The reality, from an unbiased point of view, is that every single QB past and present is doing this, has done, and has always done this. The refs inspected the balls, yet let them continue with them as is at halftime.

I do think the Pats should face a fine, as any team should, but thats it. And honestly, Aaron Rodgers hit the nail on the head...the NFL shouldn't tamper with the balls. A min air pressure should be established and then any number above that is legal. Giving players a bigger range than 1 lb as players have diferrent hand sizes and strengths, different weather conditions, etc.

Even this stuff about how Baltimore complained isn't true. Harbaugh came out and said its not true and they had no concerns over the balls used in the game.

The is jealous people wanting to hate like a bunch of scorned ex girlfriends, but the reality is that it didn't change the game and all QBs do it and are publicly saying so.

I have seen numerous references from other QBs who have weighed in on this or whose names have been mentioned, but none of them to my knowledge, has ever said they were illegal. Aaron Rodgers wasn't. Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon wasn't. Matt Leinhart wasn't. Which QB said he played with balls that were illegally under inflated? even Rodgers never said the balls were above or below the legal limits.

Gee, Johnson used the term "Bribe", Leinart used the term "tamper"...odd choices for guys that wanted to make it clear that they were within the rules.

Can't there be reasonable discussion, without people being disingenuous?

Edited by HoF Watkins

I think one of the Colts players is on the record saying something similar - *rummage*

Dwayne Allen @Dallen83 Follow

@NFLonFOX not a story. They could have played with soap for balls and beat us. Simply the better team. We have to continue to build! #BTM

On the other hand, from the NY Post Vaccaro:

"But we believe it COULD have happened, because it’s the Pats. Because it’s Bill Belichick. Because Spygate changed the conversation around them forever, fairly or no, and because what’s emerged is this melancholy, perpetual question: They’re so good as it is, why do they even need to dabble with the dark side? Why even put themselves in position for rebuke?

Why? Because they don’t care. Because they aren’t bothered if it infuriates the rest of football that Belichick had Tom Brady still passing up 45-7, exposing him to calamity. Because that is the Patriot Way, and that’s all they care about.

They leave it to the rest of us to ponder the Patriot Why."

Overblown is an understatement. Countless QBs have come out and said they do it too, past and present. Even Aaron Rodgers said he OVER inflates them to see if the officials will deflate them because its easier for his grip when over inflated. If this was any other team, this would be a non story. But since its the Pats who have negative history, and they are about to play in the Super Bowl, its being grossly over blown.

Every single QB in the league doctors their footballs. So much so that Peyton Manning spear headed that the players be allowed to handle the balls, not the league, all so they can keep doctoring the ball by scuffing them up or changing the air pressure.

And as bad as its being over blown in the media, its three times worse here because everyone hates the Pats. The reality, from an unbiased point of view, is that every single QB past and present is doing this, has done, and has always done this. The refs inspected the balls, yet let them continue with them as is at halftime.

I do think the Pats should face a fine, as any team should, but thats it. And honestly, Aaron Rodgers hit the nail on the head...the NFL shouldn't tamper with the balls. A min air pressure should be established and then any number above that is legal. Giving players a bigger range than 1 lb as players have diferrent hand sizes and strengths, different weather conditions, etc.

Even this stuff about how Baltimore complained isn't true. Harbaugh came out and said its not true and they had no concerns over the balls used in the game.

The is jealous people wanting to hate like a bunch of scorned ex girlfriends, but the reality is that it didn't change the game and all QBs do it and are publicly saying so.

Thanks man.

I hate the Pats, but I hate the mob mentality even more.

Wrong.

Aaron Rodgers said he preferred them over inflated and wished they would allows that, not that that's how he has them in the game.

Also show me where other QBs have admitted to deflating footballs. They admitted to scuffing the balls, which is within the rules. Adjusting the pressure is not. No one has admitted to that.

This has nothing to do with jealously. If this is overblown people being jealous why is the NFL investigating it? Why is being reported the NfL is disappointed? Why are some players coming out and saying the exact opposite of what you are saying? Are they all jealous too? Is Jerome Bettis jealous of the Pats?

And for like the 100th time the majority of people are in agreement that it didn't effect the outcome of the game.

Lol...47 pages on rubbish. Did a deflated ball cause the Colts to rush for only 30 yards and turn the ball over? Did a deflated ball allow Blount to pound his way to 3 rushing TDs? I mean come on, this is ridiculous.

Why isn't there 47 pages on Aaron Rodgers, who also played in the conference championship game stating he OVER inflated the ball ABOVE ALLOWED limits every game too? He said he does it every game to see if the refs deflate it because he wants a better grip as he has big hands and grips the ball hard.

Why isn't there a 47 page thread on all the QBs coming out and saying every manipulates the ball including themeselves?

This is only a story because its the Pats and its magnified further by being in the Super Bowl. Every QB has done this on every team (I promise you that all our QBs have done this as well) across the league for as long as the league has been around. it had no impact on the ass whooping put on the Colts, and it didn't help the Packers beat the Seahawks (Rodgers says he does it every game)...so clearly, this is a bunch of haters making something out of nothing.

All that being said, the Pats should get a fine, but thats it and only because it was one of those things that got flushed out in the media. But if they fine the Pats, they MUST fine the Packers and the teams of ALL the QBs that have come out, and continue to come out and flat out state they did it too or do still do it. Because they are admitting guilt in the same manner.

Go Seahawks, F the Pats...but being unbiased, this is a stupid story being made into something more by the media to sell stories.

Edited by Alphadawg7