NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

Meanwhile, Ryan has shown absolutely NO ABILITY to create a successful offensive identity. He, and Roman his choice for OC have been mediocre to bad at developing quarterbacks and are all about run first. Forget about Manuel being schooled to play his best.

Andrew Luck, Alex Smith (who was an apparent bust before Roman) and Kaepernick.

Then add in the possibility of Bill Callahan for the OL.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would surprise me if Rex ditched Schwartz simply over a schematic point...I'd have to think that Rex would be comfortable running a multiple-look scheme just as Pettine was (I mean, Pettine was a Rex DC).

I have a funny feeling that not much will change in terms of scheme on defense, with the possible exception of more disguised coverages (a Ryan specialty) and a bit more variety in pressure packages.

This is the big point so many Bills fans are missing. Pettine was a Rex disciple. Sure, he had his own tweaks, but for all intents and purposes the Bills already ran Rex's system merely 2 seasons ago, with basically the same players.

Additionally, when Pettine left and we brought in Schwartz, there was plenty of talk that the Bills would be keeping some aspects of Pettine's D and Schwartz was creating a hybrid.

So, if all of that is true:

1. Schwartz has already adapted his scheme to blend in some of Rex's scheme.

2. Any additional tweaks or changes shouldnt be a big deal for the players.

Lastly, let us not forget that whether you advertise a 43 or 34, you play in the Nickel most of the time anyways.

After reading how he was born when his father coached at UB and he lived in Toronto, I think he will relate to Bills fans. I'm happy with the hire, and convinced he is a HUGE upgrade over Maroone. Either way.. Let's Go Bills!!!!

jets-defense.jpg

When is the Press Conference?

This is what I want to see ...... too bad I have to wait 9 months!!!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12154002/buffalo-bills-hire-rex-ryan-next-head-coach

The hiring of Ryan, who will earn a salary of $5.5 million per year,

Ryan, who signed a five-year deal, will be introduced at a news conference Wednesday

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

After reading how he was born when his father coached at UB and he lived in Toronto, I think he will relate to Bills fans. I'm happy with the hire, and convinced he is a HUGE upgrade over Maroone. Either way.. Let's Go Bills!!!!

He will relate to Bills fans by winning.

This is the big point so many Bills fans are missing. Pettine was a Rex disciple. Sure, he had his own tweaks, but for all intents and purposes the Bills already ran Rex's system merely 2 seasons ago, with basically the same players.

Additionally, when Pettine left and we brought in Schwartz, there was plenty of talk that the Bills would be keeping some aspects of Pettine's D and Schwartz was creating a hybrid.

So, if all of that is true:

1. Schwartz has already adapted his scheme to blend in some of Rex's scheme.

2. Any additional tweaks or changes shouldnt be a big deal for the players.

Lastly, let us not forget that whether you advertise a 43 or 34, you play in the Nickel most of the time anyways.

I agree...the "label" of the defense really isn't important. 43, 34, nickel, etc...the difference(s) lies in the philosophy. I really doubt there will be a lot of change there, just adding in more concepts that can augment what already works is my guess.

I agree...the "label" of the defense really isn't important. 43, 34, nickel, etc...the difference(s) lies in the philosophy. I really doubt there will be a lot of change there, just adding in more concepts that can augment what already works is my guess.

Not to mention that even when Pettine was there, running the 3-4, we virtually never had three linemen and four linebackers. That was in name only too. We had four guys on the line virtually every play, two DTs, and 2-3 LBs. Even Schwartz said that, too.

Not to mention that even when Pettine was there, running the 3-4, we virtually never had three linemen and four linebackers. That was in name only too. We had four guys on the line virtually every play, two DTs, and 2-3 LBs. Even Schwartz said that, too.

Correct. Pettine ran a 4-3 under scheme most of the time here. Schwartz was probably a bit closer to a traditional 4-3.

What I'm looking forward to, assuming Schwartz stays, is the ways that Ryan comes up with to use guys like Stefan Charles--guys that can contribute in a very specific way if put in places to do so on a regular basis.

It would surprise me if Rex ditched Schwartz simply over a schematic point...I'd have to think that Rex would be comfortable running a multiple-look scheme just as Pettine was (I mean, Pettine was a Rex DC).

I have a funny feeling that not much will change in terms of scheme on defense, with the possible exception of more disguised coverages (a Ryan specialty) and a bit more variety in pressure packages.

I don't know man. In my view Schwartz is gone. Rex is arguably one of the best defensive coordinators/minds the NFL has seen over the past 10-15 years, this is his forte'. He barely let Pettine call the plays when he was DC, he was criticized by some for spending too much time on the defense and not enough on the rest of the team. This is his calling. I have a hard time believing that on his second and possibly last opportunity at becoming a head coach that he is going to virtually cede control, throw out his defensive philosophy basically out the window, change from being near league leaders in blitzing to the the exact opposite in Schwartz.

Personally, I'd love to see Schwartz be retained and Rex assist and incorporate some ideas with schemes and game planning, but I just don't see it happening.

Of course, as I'm writing this, I'm sure there is an announcement that has just been made stating that Schwartz is staying on as the DC.

Correct. Pettine ran a 4-3 under scheme most of the time here. Schwartz was probably a bit closer to a traditional 4-3.

What I'm looking forward to, assuming Schwartz stays, is the ways that Ryan comes up with to use guys like Stefan Charles--guys that can contribute in a very specific way if put in places to do so on a regular basis.

The Bills depth on the D-Line is really special and I think the main reason for their success in 2014...In the past it was big trouble when someone went down...This past year Charles, Wynn, Bryant, and Lawson all chipped in and made some plays...Even more importantly they kept the starting 4 fresh throughout the game... B-)

The Bills depth on the D-Line is really special and I think the main reason for their success in 2014...In the past it was big trouble when someone went down...This past year Charles, Wynn, Bryant, and Lawson all chipped in and made some plays...Even more importantly they kept the starting 4 fresh throughout the game... B-)

Even though I'm 100% behind Schwartz staying and Ryan leaving him mostly alone, I'm looking forward to seeing what Ryan and Schwartz can get out of Bradham and Brown and Kiko and maybe even Spikes, who may want to stay longer.

Murphy has been saying all morning that the ball is in Schwartz' court. He's been asked to stay and its up to him if he wants to or not. Obviously, if he gets a head coaching opportunity, he is gone, but if not, hopefully he stays.

The more I read and think about this, the more I feel that this is the WRONG choice. It is going to mess up the defense. Say goodbye to Schwartz and watch the Bills switch defensive schemes again. Or if Schwartz stays, you'll have a tug of war between him and Ryan over what to play. This isn't a step forward, it's a setback.

Meanwhile, Ryan has shown absolutely NO ABILITY to create a successful offensive identity. He, and Roman his choice for OC have been mediocre to bad at developing quarterbacks and are all about run first. Forget about Manuel being schooled to play his best.

I hope to be proven wrong about this, but the orgasms people are having about hiring Rex, and the talk about this giving the Bills "credibility" are in my opinion unwarranted. He's not a bad coach, but he's not the right one for this team at this time.

Roman's rushing offenses finished in the top 8 (3 in the top 5) each of his four years in SF. We need to improve the O line and running game first. Then I would like to see what Roman can do with EJ and whoever else is on the roster this spring. I look at what he did with Alex Smith, who, IMO, is the kind of QB that fits a team with a strong defense and strong running game:

2009 (Before Roman) 11 games, completed 60 % of his passes, with 18 TDs, 12 INTs, and 81.5 Rating

2010 (Before Roman) 11 games, completed 59 % of his passes, with 14 TDs, 10 INTs, and 82.1 Rating

2011 (With Roman) 18 games, completed 61% of his passes, with 22 TDs, 5 INTs, and 92.1 Rating

2012 (With Roman) 9 games, completed 70% of his passes, with 13 TDs, 5 INTs, and 100.4 Rating

Then Harbaugh decided to stay with Kaepernick

2012 62% of his passes, with 14 TDs, 5 INTs, and a 99 Rating

2013 58% of his passes, with 24 TDs, 11 INTs, and a 88.7 Rating

2014 61% of his passes, with 19 TDs, 10 INTs, and a 86.4 Rating

I think Roman did all right with developing young QBs. If any QBs for Buffalo, in a four year period, completed over 60% of their passes for 92 TDs, 36 INTs, and over a 90 Rating, we would be ecstatic...

The more I read and think about this, the more I feel that this is the WRONG choice. It is going to mess up the defense. Say goodbye to Schwartz and watch the Bills switch defensive schemes again. Or if Schwartz stays, you'll have a tug of war between him and Ryan over what to play. This isn't a step forward, it's a setback.

I hope to be proven wrong about this, but the orgasms people are having about hiring Rex, and the talk about this giving the Bills "credibility" are in my opinion unwarranted. He's not a bad coach, but he's not the right one for this team at this time.

Rex may be the wrong choice but it's hard to see how he'll mess up the defense. As has been reported, looking at the past six seasons cumulatively, the Jets D is #1 in passing yards, completion percentage, first downs, and yards per play. They're 2nd in total yards. Rex knows how to run a defense.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000423890/NFL-Films-Presents-Strat-O-Matic-with-Rex-Ryan

I saw this posted a long time ago. I think Rex has a great personality and a strategic mind. The players will be drawn to his swagger.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000423890/NFL-Films-Presents-Strat-O-Matic-with-Rex-Ryan

I saw this posted a long time ago. I think Rex has a great personality and a strategic mind. The players will be drawn to his swagger.