NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

Still silence from the Bills... Issues with the contract? or is Rex just too busy assembling his staff? I have a creepy feeling about this.... what if it falls apart because within the sections of the contract discussing roster moves and control can not be agreed upon.

it's official.

announcement made.

we're not dooomed

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bringing in Callahan in any role would be a HUGE upgrade to our Offensive staff. If we were able to bring him in at OL, it might be the biggest hire so far.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2m2 minutes ago

Bills brass, along w/new coach Rex Ryan, scheduled to fly back to WNY from their meetings in Florida today. Formal announcement forthcoming

R-E-L-A-X

my point being ... its been on all the media outlets. I'll believe it to be official when the Bills announce it.

I love this hire. He was my first choice. When he first got to the Jets, I was highly irritated by him and wanted him to fail. I also remember admitting to Jets friends that "I wish we had him". He has learned and grown up a bit since then. He isnt a loose cannon anymore.

So he knows how to play the Pats, Belichick, and Brady no matter the talent gap. We may have a team with more talent than the Pats right now. The coaching gap that perpetually exists between these 2 teams has closed a great deal. He also seems to be driven to be and beat Belichick. Which other of these coordinators being interviewed has as much experience against our #1 rival/threat as well as vested interest in overcoming the rival.

You can also add the Jets there. I am sure on a very personal level he is going to want to beat his old team and prove to them they made a mistake. He also knows the current personnel. He knows the Dolphins as well and has prepared for Philbon and Tannehill a number of times now.

He is a defensive coach. That plays into our strength. Maybe some of those guys will really dig him. He seems to be popular with players and perhaps that will be the glue that can keep the bones of the unit together. Keeping Schwartz is awesome and will provide continuity, players seem to like him, and they will maintain that hard hitting, almost undisciplined "edge"

Then add in Roman and Callahan as offensive coaches. Cant get much better than that. Roman was awesome at Stanford in assisting Harbough turn that program around, and also did the same with the 49ers. Salvaged Alex Smith's career or at least had a hand in it. Probably had a lot to do with Kaepernick's success as an NFL QB. If you look at Stanford too, even though Harbough was on the scene already, they didnt become good until Roman got there as well as a QB called Andrew Luck, who Roman helped groom.

It certainly doesnt guarantee success, but Rex Ryan, along with these coordinators checks so many boxes, and provide so much that a leap of faith into a coordinator does not provide.

It's like Pegula took a good look at Marrone's 2 years here and said: "We can do better and I want to put my stamp on this organization" and so in the span of a fortnight fired Marrone and then went out and hired arguably the biggest name on the coaching market.

That would feel good, just about how it feels right now.

But wait! He didn't do that; in fact, Pegula was prepared to give Marrone an extension.

That's weird.

Oh well, all's well that ends well.

It's like Pegula took a good look at Marrone's 2 years here and said: "We can do better and I want to put my stamp on this organization" and so in the span of a fortnight fired Marrone and then went out and hired arguably the biggest name on the coaching market.

That would feel good, just about how it feels right now.

But wait! He didn't do that; in fact, Pegula was prepared to give Marrone an extension.

That's weird.

Oh well, all's well that ends well.

Confirmed by whom? This was a "leak" by Saint Doug's agent to the national media. Find anything confirming an extension was on the table.

I'm impressed with the way the FO has handled things the last couple of years. An aggressive HC search that resulted in locking in Marrone, who was a hot commodity at the time (I know!); trading back in Round 1 and still getting their top QB choice; replacing the late-leaving Pettine with Schwartz; making the trade up to get Sammy; reeling in Orton at the last minute (who was probably the best guy on the market, fwiw); and now responding to Marrone's bailing out by hiring Rex after another thorough interview process.

Some of these moves won't work as it's a game of speculation, but I like the conviction.

I agree with this. Pegula is going out and getting what he wants in a very directed fashion. I can't complain about that, even though I think hiring Rex is a mistake for this team. It could very well work out. If it doesn't, Pegs can eat the contract.

Anyway. Welcome Rex. Try not to screw things up!

Confirmed by whom? This was a "leak" by Saint Doug's agent to the national media. Find anything confirming an extension was on the table.

No, it wasn't. It came from the Bills. Almost certain, Can't give you any proof, unfortunately. But my source (his information isn't quite as extensive as it was in past years--but what he has is solid) says Marrone was getting a small extension and was expected to announce he was returning. The decision to leave caught everyone by surprise at OBD.

I should note this came BEFORE La Canfora had it, and my guy has no connection to Marrone or his agent.

Edited because I screwed up. More coffee please.

Edited by The Dean

No, it wasn't. It came from the Bills. Almost certain, Can't give you any proof, unfortunately. But my source (his information isn't quite as extensive as it was in past years--but what he has is solid) says Schwartz was getting a small extension and was expected to announce he was returning. The decision to leave caught everyone by surprise at OBD.

I should note this came BEFORE La Canfora had it, and my guy has no connection to Schwartz or his agent.

So does that mean that Schwartz will still be returning now?

or was that Pre Rex?

CBF

The more I read and think about this, the more I feel that this is the WRONG choice. It is going to mess up the defense. Say goodbye to Schwartz and watch the Bills switch defensive schemes again. Or if Schwartz stays, you'll have a tug of war between him and Ryan over what to play. This isn't a step forward, it's a setback.

Meanwhile, Ryan has shown absolutely NO ABILITY to create a successful offensive identity. He, and Roman his choice for OC have been mediocre to bad at developing quarterbacks and are all about run first. Forget about Manuel being schooled to play his best.

I hope to be proven wrong about this, but the orgasms people are having about hiring Rex, and the talk about this giving the Bills "credibility" are in my opinion unwarranted. He's not a bad coach, but he's not the right one for this team at this time.

Edited by Dr. K

odd couple...one's a 4-3 the other 3-4

It would surprise me if Rex ditched Schwartz simply over a schematic point...I'd have to think that Rex would be comfortable running a multiple-look scheme just as Pettine was (I mean, Pettine was a Rex DC).

I have a funny feeling that not much will change in terms of scheme on defense, with the possible exception of more disguised coverages (a Ryan specialty) and a bit more variety in pressure packages.